C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI
Old 06-10-2015, 02:55 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

DIY oil change, step by step, with pictures

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 4.27 average.

Old 03-29-2017, 04:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 242 Likes on 202 Posts
A car
Originally Posted by Demvang
Here it is
http://www.fluidevacuators.com/produ...adapter-detail
Save yourself some $$$, use the rubber telescoping hose connector that comes with your fluid extractor. One end for hose, the other smaller end for dipstick tube.
Many thanks!! What's the size of the hole that the oil extractor side is? 3/8th?
Old 03-29-2017, 10:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by Tartan43
I changed the oil in my 2009 4Matic Sport this weekend using a Motive Power Extractor 1708 and the aluminum dipstick tube adapter from Fluid Evacuators (Part # PR381Q). Pressurized the extractor to approximately 12 in.Hg (see pic) and pulled 8qt of oil in 20-25 minutes before the pump started sputtering and the pressure dropped to 0. Not bad considering the oil soaked filter. Ignore the metal hose clamp in the second to last picture; I thought I would need to clamp the tube around the aluminum dipstick adapter to make it air tight, but the O ring on the tip of the adapter created an air tight seal with the tube.
Hmm. Now that i've done some digging

https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...0213-12131.jpg

It shows that the tube goes into the adapter. Interesting - was the gap so small between the hose and the adapter that there wasn't a leak thus causing the vacumn to fail? I would have thought any tube used would go over the adapter.

Anyway

What's the size of the tube used? What size would be used if one wanted to go over the adapter?
Old 04-01-2017, 01:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
08 C350
which is better royal purple or mobile 1 both fully synthetic
The following users liked this post:
superangrypenguin (04-01-2017)
Old 04-01-2017, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by StrelingA
which is better royal purple or mobile 1 both fully synthetic
This is like asking if you should jack off with your left or with your right hand
Old 04-01-2017, 03:51 PM

Received 87 Likes on 84 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
This is like asking if you should jack off with your left or with your right hand
Well said.

Unless you drive all the time under EXTREMELY harsh conditions just use an oil of the right type as listed in the owners manual and you will be fine.
The following users liked this post:
superangrypenguin (04-01-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Hello everyone,

I hope this post is of help to people. So I bought the Mercedes adapter from upthread. I have one of these extractors: http://ca.binnacle.com/p3421/Pela-Oi...ml#description

I can confirm that if you have a 1/4" inch hose that is very snugly fits into the adapter as per below. I have also ensured that the seal is very tight without the need for silicon or whatever. I tested this by putting my finger at the end at the adapter and tried to "suck" using the oil extractor while the entire adapter was in a bucket of water. Sure enough, water could not be extracted when my finger plugged the end so the seal when you stick the tube in the adapter is good enough.

I haven't done an oil change myself (waiting for a bit warmer weather). I also bought a "OTC 7312 O-Ring and Oil Seal Pick" from Amazon and a funnel designed for MB vehicles called "PK 710 oil filler funnel, anti spiller,Volkswagen OIL tool, Audi OIL tool, BMW oil tool, Mercedes Benz OIL tool" from Amazon for drip free oil filling.

I will buy an oem oil filter wrench from the dealer shortly. The price was $24 quoted + tax. Here's the the adapter looks like with the hose shoved in it.

HTH!

Last edited by superangrypenguin; 04-05-2017 at 08:31 PM.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
HOLY HEAVENS.

So I got the OEM oil filter wrench and bought a 22MM socket (already have a torque wrench), so got all the tools today.

I went into do a test oil change by using the extractor and the evacuator tool. One pump and oil started easily flowing into the tube. I'm pretty stoked!

Anyways, I hope I have provided the info required! It seems like that's the way to go!
Old 04-10-2017, 12:19 AM

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
2012 GLK
why is there an OBSESSION with oil extractors?! every oil thread.

just undo the drain plug and call it a day? changing the oil on this car is easier, and faster, than a toyota
Old 04-10-2017, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by B737

just undo the drain plug and call it a day? changing the oil on this car is easier, and faster, than a toyota
Some of us do not have this ability.

The place where I live doesn't allow for "car work" to be done in the driveway.

Therefore, it's a lot easier to hide doing an oil change when one doesn't have to involve a jack etc. Most people have no idea what an oil extractor is.

Plus, wouldn't you like to do an oil change where you don't spill a drop of oil anywhere? The drain plugs on these W204's are asinine. The oil gets ejected sideways so spillage will most likely occur in a DYI scenario.
Old 04-22-2017, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Did my oil change today using the adapter!

Great results. Drained 7.5L (yes, I know, surprising given it's a 4matic). Interestingly enough, after checking the dipstick a thousand times, I put in about the same. I'm sure at this point it's perfect.

Some interesting photos!

(yes, the right zeroing of the scale was done for each pic). This is ONLY after 10,000km. Some hard driving, some highway cruising, and some light around town cruising. I'd say I'm pretty hard on the oil compared to daily drivers, but I don't race.

New filter: 57g
Old filter: 152g

Now obviously there's oil on the old filter which adds to the weight so who knows what the true comparison is.

Was cool though to do this myself. Used a torque wrench and everything. sure, I saved $35 in labour, but it was fun and I'm satisfied with how the job went! First oil change by myself - DONE!

I'm sending the oil to Blackstone labs for a used oil analysis. Will be looking at the TBN numbers too. It's been a rough winter so I suspect some fuel dilution

I extracted the oil using a Pela extractor. Halfway through the extraction, I collected the oil directly from the suction hose by yanking it while it was draining and putting it into the sample container. I wanted the reading to be as accurate as possible (if you dump a portion from the pela extractor then it's not necessarily an accurate reflection of the oil health). I'll post the UOA once I get it back.

Cool photos:

Old 04-22-2017, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Oh PS - does it matter which way the oil filter goes in? Is there a top and a bottom?

I didn't think so. All I did was make sure that the two lines on the filter.....one was not visible as per the instructions.
Old 04-22-2017, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by kevink2
congrats, I think you are the 1st one to evac all the oil from a W204 4MATIC, and perhaps a W203 4MATIC. Was the oil hot? 20-25 minutes sounds a bit long.

Of course, Gurus #1 and #2 from W203 would say you just need help in how to use an inserted tube, as they told me.
I just did this and pulled the same using the extractor.

My oil was HOT. Took about 5-10 minutes.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:20 PM
IGB

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
'08 C300 MM Pano
If its in "every oil thread", then it is becoming more if a "norm" rather than an "obsession".

In fact, the dealers use an extractor to withdraw engine oil out during an oil cbange. That would make it a "standard"!

Personally, I use an extractor because it's cleaner. No spills, no drips, I can measure extracted volume accurately and easily, and lastly, I can carry the extractor to the recycling center, flip the switch to "dispense", pump it several times and it's done in no time.

changing the oil on this car is easier, and faster, than a toyota
How so???
Old 04-22-2017, 06:38 PM

2012 GLK
Originally Posted by IGB
If its in "every oil thread", then it is becoming more if a "norm" rather than an "obsession".

In fact, the dealers use an extractor to withdraw engine oil out during an oil cbange. That would make it a "standard"!

Personally, I use an extractor because it's cleaner. No spills, no drips, I can measure extracted volume accurately and easily, and lastly, I can carry the extractor to the recycling center, flip the switch to "dispense", pump it several times and it's done in no time.

How so???
Read post #485. fumbling around with all this vacuum crap is a perfect example of why it's silly.

remove drain, let drain, install drain plug. same amount of oil goes in, there's no victory to celebrate here. no spilling or drips... no magic machines needed. and it will check all the boxes on your list up there.

have you ever changed the oil on a toyota? a third grader could do it. the 3.5L motor in our cars is even easier. there is more room, everything is easily accessible and painfully obvious.

but keep using your little pumps it's entertaining
Old 04-22-2017, 11:26 PM
IGB

'08 C300 MM Pano

Some interesting photos!

(yes, the right zeroing of the scale was done for each pic). This is ONLY after 10,000km. Some hard driving, some highway cruising, and some light around town cruising. I'd say I'm pretty hard on the oil compared to daily drivers, but I don't race.

New filter: 57g
Old filter: 152g
Are you trying to calculate the volume of the oil that remained in the filter?

If so... Motor oil density depends on temperature but a rough estimate puts it at 0.85 kg/liter..

You have approximately 95 grams difference in weight. Which would then mean you have 95/850 =0.111 liters which has equals 0.117 quarts.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by IGB
Are you trying to calculate the volume of the oil that remained in the filter?

If so... Motor oil density depends on temperature but a rough estimate puts it at 0.85 kg/liter..

You have approximately 95 grams difference in weight. Which would then mean you have 95/850 =0.111 liters which has equals 0.117 quarts.
Wow, that's more technical than I was thinking

I was trying to figure out how much metal was stopped by the filter. Given the fact that one filter was dry and the other wasn't I figured the math wasn't worth doing! I'm not as intelligent as you so I'll just leave it at that!
Old 04-22-2017, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by IGB
I
Agreed! I probably had 2 wasted drops of oil in the entire process today. It was awesome. Had no spills on the driveway. Not 1!! That was cool
Old 04-23-2017, 12:12 AM
IGB

'08 C300 MM Pano
have you ever changed the oil on a toyota? a third grader could do it. the 3.5L motor in our cars is even easier. there is more room
A vehicle's ground clearance is NOT dependant upon the size engine in it. Instead, it depends on the MODEL vehicle you are describing. In this case, aND since this thread is in the C-Class forum, meaning most members quoted as saying they use an extractor are talking about using it with a C-Class, I am sure a third grader could explain to you that they do not have as much ground clearance as you do on your GLK and as such, the drain plug isn't as easily accessible as it is to you.

But you are free to continue criticising others for no apparent reason at all.

Read post #485. fumbling around with all this vacuum crap is a perfect example of why it's silly.
I don't see anything in post 485 that would shed any negative light on the process of using an extractor.... He pulled the 7.5 quarts of oil his vehicle is rated to hold. Everything else in his post is regarding him sending in an oil sample to Blackrock for testing and their collection instructions recommend it be a mid stream sample rather than one that is collected at the start or at the end of the draining process.

I will... all while you continue to mop your garage floor using the shirt on your back and the back of your head... Because that is "cleaner" than using an extractor....
Old 04-23-2017, 12:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by IGB
A vehicle's ground clearance is NOT dependant upon the size engine in it. Instead, it depends on the MODEL vehicle you are describing. In this case, aND since this thread is in the C-Class forum, meaning most members quoted as saying they use an extractor are talking about using it with a C-Class, I am sure a third grader could explain to you that they do not have as much ground clearance as you do on your GLK and as such, the drain plug isn't as easily accessible as it is to you.

But you are free to continue criticising others for no apparent reason at all.

I don't see anything in post 485 that would shed any negative light on the process of using an extractor.... He pulled the 7.5 quarts of oil his vehicle is rated to hold. Everything else in his post is regarding him sending in an oil sample to Blackrock for testing and their collection instructions recommend it be a mid stream sample rather than one that is collected at the start or at the end of the draining process.

I will... all while you continue to mop your garage floor using the shirt on your back and the back of your head... Because that is "cleaner" than using an extractor....
Agreed with everything. I didn't have to throw my car on a ramp and yes, ground clearance was a big reason I chose to use an extractor. The below image is how much oil I pulled out of the engine. Each bottle is 2.63L.

The extracting method that I used today was absolutely fantastic. Clean, quick and will definitely be doing it again!

And yes, the fumbling around was to get a UOA to Blackstone labs. If I didn't want to do that then it would have been even more painless!

Last edited by superangrypenguin; 04-23-2017 at 12:37 AM.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:11 AM

2012 GLK
ok i forgot you gotta drive up on ramps
there is still tons of room though
Old 04-23-2017, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
ok i forgot you gotta drive up on ramps
there is still tons of room though
Given the angle of the vehicle once you drive on ramps, is the drain plug in the lowest position anymore? Can you extract essentially all of the oil?
Old 04-23-2017, 11:47 AM

C250

remove drain, let drain, install drain plug. same amount of oil goes in, there's no victory to celebrate here. no spilling or drips... no magic machines needed. and it will check all the boxes on your list up there.

have you ever changed the oil on a toyota? a third grader could do it. the 3.5L motor in our cars is even easier. there is more room, everything is easily accessible and painfully obvious.

Agreed 100% ... its easy as hell. This vacuum method honestly is plain out idiotic. Get some ramps drive up ramps remove the plastic bits underneath...( G37, 370z, Hellcat all have over 20 bolts and clips so complaining about the removal on the Merc is ridiculous. ) remove bolt... drain...change washer...done...like B737 said third grader could do it. This vacuum nonsense is for some kind of new breed of lazy....and honestly if you cant do it the right way you should not even be doing it......

Last edited by St.Christopher; 04-23-2017 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:57 AM

C250
Given the angle of the vehicle once you drive on ramps, is the drain plug in the lowest position anymore? Can you extract essentially all of the oil?
Up ramp and if you have OCD.... get a jack under the rear differential to put at any angle you want....
Old 04-23-2017, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by St.Christopher
Agreed 100% ... its easy as hell. This vacuum method honestly is plain out idiotic. Get some ramps drive up ramps remove the plastic bits underneath...( G37, 370z, Hellcat all have over 20 bolts and clips so complaining about the removal on the Merc is ridiculous. ) remove bolt... drain...change washer...done...like B737 said third grader could do it. This vacuum nonsense is for some kind of new breed of lazy....and honestly if you cant do it the right way you should not even be doing it......
Originally Posted by St.Christopher
Up ramp and if you have OCD.... get a jack under the rear differential to put at any angle you want....
If you're after easy...then you're doing it wrong and contradicting yourself in the posts above.

1) Ensure level surface
2) Unscrew oil cap
3) Attach extractor
4) Pump it
5) Wait
6) Replace oil filter
7) Replace oil

Done.

Now that I've done it once, I challenge anybody to do an oil change faster than me. I'm a measure twice cut once sort of person so I did it carefully on my first change.

Now that being said, no need to go at it with someone online. If you want to buy a jack and ramp and all that, go for it. For me, the only things I needed to buy was the extractor nozzle and an oil filter wrench. The other components I already had.

Plus, I don't even need to replace the drain plug crush washer every time too.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:15 PM

C250
If you're after easy...then you're doing it wrong and contradicting yourself in the posts above.

1) Ensure level surface
2) Unscrew oil cap
3) Attach extractor
4) Pump it
5) Wait
6) Replace oil filter
7) Replace oil

Done.

Now that I've done it once, I challenge anybody to do an oil change faster than me. I'm a measure twice cut once sort of person so I did it carefully on my first change.

Now that being said, no need to go at it with someone online. If you want to buy a jack and ramp and all that, go for it. For me, the only things I needed to buy was the extractor nozzle and an oil filter wrench. The other components I already had.

Plus, I don't even need to replace the drain plug crush washer every time too.
Well, I have been changing oil on cars for about 30 years..and modified and raced cars.....so I am doing it the way I know is correct and easy for me and I know works. I consider it the right way....the car was built with an oil bolt for a reason. But if you want to do some girl pump method because its easier....and it works for you then go for it...

Last edited by St.Christopher; 04-23-2017 at 12:23 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 4.27 average.

Quick Reply: DIY oil change, step by step, with pictures