C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Why is GLK so cheap?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Sport C-300, 2003 Accord Coupe V6
I'll pass on the GLK. Just saw one in person and it's the same size as a RAV4 or CRV. No offense but it looks like a woman's car.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Originally Posted by RabbitDad
That's a bit stupid isn't it - why not actually sell the C wagon as the C wagon (if you know what I mean) and leave the GLK to play properly in the SUV niche (by only offering it with 4Matic)?

I reckon it's just marketeers being stupid - they are assuming that people don't want an estate, however I've never heard anyone from the US claiming they didn't like the S204 (that's the technical name for the estate).

Me, I'm a soon to be happy S204 owner (in fact like most C-class buying Europeans under the age of 40, given that sedans are largely considered old people cars over here)...
I haven't heard anyone complain about the Estate on this board either and quite like it myself, but the Estate for the states was a failed experiment with the w203 and was discontinued do to lack of sales. There is also some rumor of the E Estate not making it into the U.S. lineup either with the new car hitting showrooms later this year. The majority of the buying public in the United States just won't accept a wagon of any form, but they jump all over suv's.

Now having a GLK and a Estate in the same lineup would be a huge mistake. The GLK is already beating the C class in the price department and with the way sales figures are going the ML is dipping into the fully loaded GLK territory. Its never a smart idea to have cars in your lineup that do the same thing for the same price, just ask Ford or Chevy how well that works out. That scheme has landed them in near bankruptcy, and they have had to start killing off the models. It just makes more sense as a selling point to offer the model you know will appeal to more people in a given area.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 Mercedes C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by chilledbenz
I haven't heard anyone complain about the Estate on this board either and quite like it myself, but the Estate for the states was a failed experiment with the w203 and was discontinued do to lack of sales. There is also some rumor of the E Estate not making it into the U.S. lineup either with the new car hitting showrooms later this year. The majority of the buying public in the United States just won't accept a wagon of any form, but they jump all over suv's.

Now having a GLK and a Estate in the same lineup would be a huge mistake. The GLK is already beating the C class in the price department and with the way sales figures are going the ML is dipping into the fully loaded GLK territory. Its never a smart idea to have cars in your lineup that do the same thing for the same price, just ask Ford or Chevy how well that works out. That scheme has landed them in near bankruptcy, and they have had to start killing off the models. It just makes more sense as a selling point to offer the model you know will appeal to more people in a given area.
Personally I think the wagon's are pretty ugly. (No offense to the ones who bought one. I would just rather buy an SUV if I needed the extra cargo space)
Old 02-08-2009, 02:19 AM

a g
Similar price points, two different targeted buyers. The Mercedes GLK directly competes in price to the other entry level luxury SUVs in its category. The likes of BMW, Lexus, Audi Q5 (concept only I think).
Old 02-08-2009, 05:07 PM

'08 C 300 Sport, '01 SL 500 & '08 Nissan Frontier SE Crew Cab 4WD
I don't see GLK's taking too many sales from C-Class shoppers. It will take the random bargain Benz shoppers that just want to get into a new three pointed star and will see an SUV as "more car" for less cash and those rare shoppers who would normally buy a C-Class or 3er wagon. That aside the GLK appeals to me today because we have a kid now, however in person the rear cargo area looks squished and actually smaller than the volume you get in a C-Class. Also I doubt until there is a GLK6.3 AMG version which isn't planned or in any kind of works will out perform or handle my '08 C300 sport. Yeah it has more power and a bigger engine, but I'm not lugging all that extra weight around either, 4wd and poor aerodynamics.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:46 PM

BMW 135i
RAV4.. you really must be joking
Old 03-26-2009, 06:03 PM

C
In Europe the estate is considered the 'lifestyle' choice, while the sedan is seen as the somewhat staid and boring choice for the elderly. If you really don't need the space of an estate, you buy a coupé not a sedan.

Not saying I necessarily agree (I drive a sedan right now though my S204 will arrive in a couple of weeks), but the fact that most young people by far prefer to be seen in an estate (and they would prefer this over an SUV as well in most cases) speaks volumes for the intelligence of the average European buyer. After all what is *not* to like about an estate? More practical, more space and at least as good looking...
Old 03-26-2009, 11:42 PM

'09 C300 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by white_glass_top
lets not the forget tho the the C class is a beautiful looking car and the GLK is awkward and hideous looking jus like its direct competition the X3

Seriously, GLK look good if done up right!! Thinking about trading my C in for one, especially for the Price they aoffering in Germany for Military right now.
I want you to find me a Brabus GLK that's comparable in price to a C300

I don't see how you can compare the 2...2 completely different animals. If you want a car and dont need the extra room of an SUV then get the C300...if you need the ammenities that an SUV provides then you get the GLK. The GLK may come out as the winner in everything else...but definitely not looks (IMHO)
Old 03-27-2009, 12:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 Carrara White Metallic Porsche Cayman
Originally Posted by RabbitDad
In Europe the estate is considered the 'lifestyle' choice, while the sedan is seen as the somewhat staid and boring choice for the elderly. If you really don't need the space of an estate, you buy a coupé not a sedan.

Not saying I necessarily agree (I drive a sedan right now though my S204 will arrive in a couple of weeks), but the fact that most young people by far prefer to be seen in an estate (and they would prefer this over an SUV as well in most cases) speaks volumes for the intelligence of the average European buyer. After all what is *not* to like about an estate? More practical, more space and at least as good looking...
I don't think it has anything to do with intelligence..just personal taste. Im young and I think wagons are ugly, as do most American youth..and I have no need for the extra cargo space so the sedan isn't any less practical for me.

Now if the C was offered in a coupe, I'd be all over it..but for some strange reason MB still hasn't given us that option. I think an entry level Mercedes coupe aimed directly at the 3series/A5 would attract lots of younger buyers to the brand.

Last edited by C300Kid; 03-27-2009 at 12:16 AM.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 Mercedes C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by C300Kid
I don't think it has anything to do with intelligence..just personal taste. Im young and I think wagons are ugly, as do most American youth..and I have no need for the extra cargo space so the sedan isn't any less practical for me.

Now if the C was offered in a coupe, I'd be all over it..but for some strange reason MB still hasn't given us that option. I think an entry level Mercedes coupe aimed directly at the 3series/A5 would attract lots of younger buyers to the brand.
+1 Need the extra cargo space, grab an SUV. They look better and give you greater ground clearance.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 Carrara White Metallic Porsche Cayman
Originally Posted by GLK350USN
RAV4.. you really must be joking
Joking about what? He said its about the size of one, which it is. I think the Rav4 is actually a bit bigger...they hold 7 passengers these days.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:39 PM

C
Originally Posted by micropower99
+1 Need the extra cargo space, grab an SUV. They look better and give you greater ground clearance.
What would you need ground clearance for in Western Europe (or any civilized area of the US)? Over here people buy SUVs to sit high above the other traffic, but not for ground clearance. However the trade-off is worse consumption and worse handling (and the latter in particular is a reason why you won't see many young Europeans in SUVs).