C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

BMW owner wondering if I should switch to Mercedes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 03:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 BMW 328i
BMW owner wondering if I should switch to Mercedes

Hey there guys. first post here at MB World. I've got a 2000 BMW 328i and it's been good so far. Things here and there that go or need replacing but not too much out of the ordinary. I am looking at alternatives for another car and Mercedes obvs was up there on the list. Never owned a Mercedes before but I've heard good things and bad things about them.

I'm sure some of you out there are very committed to Mercedes for one reason or another and I'd like to hear from you about why Mercedes is great. No need to flame BMW here, by saying that Mercedes kicks *** and BMW sucks doesn't really help me!

Cheers!
Old 03-01-2009, 03:11 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
They're both great cars. If you're looking for a more purist driving car, stick with BMW. They still outhandle even the sport package MB's although with the newer Benzes, the gap is very small. I'd say just take each for a test drive and see which one you like better. Also be sure to test drive a car with similar option packages that you're ulimately going to buy. A sport package Mercedes will feel very differently than a non-sport one.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:15 AM

2008 MB C300 Sport (Mars Red)
I drove the 328, A4, and S40 before I bought my C300 sport. Even though the handling was better in the Beemer, I felt that the Benz was a better everyday driver for a number of reasons. First, the ride is more comfortable and still sporty when I want to punch it thru corners. Also, there are REAL cup holders and a spare tire, versus cheezy pop-out holders and run flats (I call them fun-flats.) In addition, everyone and their brother already has the 3-series and I wanted to stand out from the crowd.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:08 AM

2005 C230K Sport Sedan, 6 speed manual
You really cannot make a bad choice between the Mercedes and BMW. I have one of each (although the previous generation of both), and there is no clear winner.

Here is how I see the current cars.
BMW.
Good: That wonderful inline-6 engine, a bit better handling, full maintenance included.
Bad: Run-flat tires (expensive to replace, and ride hard).

Mercedes.
Good: A bit cheaper than BMW with normal options, a bit quieter, and rides a bit better. Fewer cars sold make the car less common than the BMW.
Bad: Maintenance not included. This may make the MB more expensive over time.

If you are happy with your BMW and your dealer, you may wish to stay with BMW. If you are unhappy with your dealer, then try the Mercedes. Either way, you get to make a choice that most people can only envy.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
My take on the 3 vs C:
Interior- Both fairly simple but the C seemed to be better finished and a bit more comfortable.
Power- The BMWs inline six is indeed a legend but the MB 3.0 is a solid, torquey engine that has better power delivery for daily driving. The MB is great up until 8/10ths and then gets a little hoary. The BMW will sing to redline and is definitely better at 10/10ths. Same for the handling, BMW will run to it's limit without complaint while my C seems to get a little unsettled at the limits. The C is tight but a little clumsy on the fast transitions when compared to the 3 (btw- comparing my 2008 C300 Sport six speed manual to a friend's 2007 328i with a six speed manual and sport package as well as what I remember from my test drives)
At least for Atlanta, you see about 10 3 series for every C Class, although for the 08-09 model year, that seems to be evening out a bit. Exclusivity has its appeal I suppose...
It truely came down to feel and the MB just had that "gotta have it no matter what feel" while the BMW left me worrying about details like, run flats, lack of dipsticks, consumer reports, wierd seat ajustments, etc...
I was happy to see the C on Consumer reports for the 08' model year...it's been a while but maybe the "brick $h!thouse" days are back for Benz.
Good luck!!

Last edited by C300Sport; 03-01-2009 at 08:15 AM.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:59 AM
Almost a Member!

C180 W204
I used to have a E39 and a E46. Changed the E39 to E60 last year, and the E46 to the C-W204 recently.

Overall, I find that BMW are more sporty in nature, and Merc is more comfort based. That again depends on which Merc you're looking at.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:37 AM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
11' R8 - 11' RR Sport
If your gonna compare the C350 vs 335...Get the 335..Great car..inside is nicer..and the power on the 335 is better. Also, the free service on BMW's part is a winner.

I have had a 08 E92 335..awesome car..I only traded it in for a C63...otherwise during all my rental car's from MB..everytime they give me a C350...I just hate it.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
I went through the same comparison not too long ago and bought the C300 Sport with 6 speed manual. The run flat tire situation at BMW should not be underestimated. Reduced repairability after a flat, limited availability, cost, tire performance, and no place for a spare even if you swap out the tires made me believe that I really had a 50 mile range (run flat limit) around the nearest open BMW service department for travel. There is/has been litigation by BMW owners against BMW based on these tires. Before I took back my deposit from a BMW dealer on a 3, based on learning more about the tires, he tried to offer a free new set of regular tires, but could not overcome the problem that carrying a spare means giving up all the trunk space, as the BMW engineers did not package into the platform any space for a spare tire......google BMW and run flat and read!!
Old 03-01-2009, 09:06 PM

Received 118 Likes on 92 Posts
325Ci, 325Cic, C300
I agree. The run-flats are not to be underestimated. When we first rolled my wife's 3 off the lot and onto the freeway, we were like "what is this?!". We had a BMW before this one so we knew this wasn't right. It wasn't until I searched and read about all the complaints that I realized I wasn't alone.

I ended up swapping out the run-flats for Yokohama S-Drive's, picked up a portable inflator, and it's been wonderful ever since.

Caveat : The wife's BMW is a weekend/market car, so remember that if you decide to swap out tires for your car which may have a totally different application, like regular midnight runs from California to Nevada, for example.

Paolo
Old 03-01-2009, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 W210 E55
beamers are for girls ..... step up and get the big benz....
Old 03-01-2009, 09:25 PM

2015 GLA45 AMG
Originally Posted by italy430
Hey there guys. first post here at MB World. I've got a 2000 BMW 328i and it's been good so far. Things here and there that go or need replacing but not too much out of the ordinary. I am looking at alternatives for another car and Mercedes obvs was up there on the list. Never owned a Mercedes before but I've heard good things and bad things about them.

I'm sure some of you out there are very committed to Mercedes for one reason or another and I'd like to hear from you about why Mercedes is great. No need to flame BMW here, by saying that Mercedes kicks *** and BMW sucks doesn't really help me!

Cheers!
I just (last week) traded in my '99 328i for an '08 C350. My car also had been very good to me, but was now 10 years old and approaching 200k kms. I've driven a number of MBs before, and they never came close to the ride you get with the bimmer. The C350 is the closest to my old car that MB has come up with so far. It's not quite the BMW ride, but pretty darn close. I have no regrets so far in making the trade.

Things I like about the C350 - interior styling, new aggressive MB styling, low rpm for max torque, nice engine growl, multimedia pkg with Nav, Logic 7 sound system, traditional tires (no run-flats).

Things I miss from my 328 - slightly better cornering, silky smooth transmission, exhaust note.

Good Luck.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by ulovemybenzo
beamers are for girls ..... step up and get the big benz....
Hey this is supposed to be a productive thread...Thanks for making us all stupider!

And if you're going to knock it, know how to spell it first - it's BIMMER not beamer
Old 03-01-2009, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C300 Sport, MM, P1
Originally Posted by WWMIndy
Hey this is supposed to be a productive thread...Thanks for making us all stupider!

And if you're going to knock it, know how to spell it first - it's BIMMER not beamer
LOL.

I have both the 2008 C300 and the 2009 335 BMW and I have to say that even though the BMW has more power, I like driving my C better. I just think its an easier driver for some reason. Like many have said before, if you're looking for a quick car, stick with the BMW but if you are looking for comfort and luxury, go with a Mercedes.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:55 AM

2000 BMW 328i
Originally Posted by Savage c-300
LOL.

I have both the 2008 C300 and the 2009 335 BMW and I have to say that even though the BMW has more power, I like driving my C better. I just think its an easier driver for some reason. Like many have said before, if you're looking for a quick car, stick with the BMW but if you are looking for comfort and luxury, go with a Mercedes.
That seems to be what I've come across so far. I'd definitely miss the handling of my BMW if I switched but I sometimes would just love to climb into something really luxurious and just cruise.

Re the run flats. Yea ****ty idea. I hope they fix that, and also their cup holders. I'd be interesting to see what happens with the redesigned 3 series coming out in I believe 2012.

Also re the full maintainance thing with BMW. I don't think you really save anything. Most BMW models are more expensive than the MB competition and plus the service intervals are super long with the BMW so I believe they only service it like 3 or maybe 4 times under their free plan. And that's super cheap because it's only BMWs cost that they need to cover for the servicing and I'm pretty sure with the extra money you pay, you'd more than cover the cost BMW has to service your car.

Keep the comments coming, it's good to hear other ppl's opinion about the matter.

Cheers!
Old 03-02-2009, 02:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
I like MB more, it is more comfortable, better looking, very smooth ride.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:41 PM

2010 E350 and 2008 GL320CDI
Originally Posted by PoCoMotion
I just (last week) traded in my '99 328i for an '08 C350. My car also had been very good to me, but was now 10 years old and approaching 200k kms. I've driven a number of MBs before, and they never came close to the ride you get with the bimmer. The C350 is the closest to my old car that MB has come up with so far. It's not quite the BMW ride, but pretty darn close. I have no regrets so far in making the trade.

Things I like about the C350 - interior styling, new aggressive MB styling, low rpm for max torque, nice engine growl, multimedia pkg with Nav, Logic 7 sound system, traditional tires (no run-flats).

Things I miss from my 328 - slightly better cornering, silky smooth transmission, exhaust note.

Good Luck.
I have a very similar story. I traded in a 1999 BMW 528i with 150,000 miles for a 2008 C350 and the pros/cons are fairly similar.

I miss the smooth shifting transmission of the BMW, as well as that incredibly solid "touring" ride as well as the tight cornering. But, I couldn't bring myself to pay for the price of a new 5 series, and couldn't deal with the whole run-flat situation. Living in Houston---potholes are a way of life.

My new C350 is fantastic on the toll roads around here . I love the growl it makes at almost any speed when I punch it. The aggressive styling gets noticed instantly almost anywhere. The 7 speed transmission and the multimedia package are also a couple of things that I'm not sure I could give up.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
C350
BMW vs. MB

Hello, this is my first post also. I just picked up a C350 and turned in a 2006 330i. Car is my wife's but I spent some time driving and comparing.
Here are my thoughts for what it is worth:

-C 350
better hp and torque sweet spot- compares to 330i but now you would have to go with 335 more $$ or stay with 328 which is a bit underpowered

-like styling of MB (subjective) as fresher, more aggressive. BMW 3 styling three years old. AMG wheels more aggressive as are staggered tires.

-***MB winner in features for $$- Multimedia package, Sat radio, HK stereo, hard drive, garage door opener, fold down rear seats, bluetooth- all requires additional BMW options- MB way more value in my opinion for loaded vehicle

-Handling might go to BMW but MB is more solid feel and certainly is in same ballpark.

-BMW I-drive and nav weak second to MB.

-Despite *****ing about run flats they were OK for wife's car as security feature

-Free maintenance is worth something -I had dealer throw in three year maintenance through MB because of my concerns over cost, This can be a big BMW plus depending on how you drive.

Overall for us the decision was easy. We either got the "same styled" car again with less power (or pony up for 335) and had to add options to compare to MB

My wife is really excited about this car.
Good luck on your decision.
-
Old 03-03-2009, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C300 Sport/Palladium Silver on Black/P2
I don't dislike BMW. If MB didn't exist, I would probably have a BMW.

Anyway, I like Mercedes approach I suppose. While I love performance, I like that Mercedes puts that little extra touch towards quality. Primarily though, they also put that extra touch towards ride comfort and sound levels inside the cabin, in my opinion. I just find it a pleasure to step aboard a Mercedes-Benz.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:47 PM

08 C350 (W204), 08 ML350, 05 E350
I think bmw and merc is similar but different.
Merc- luxury with sports
BMW- sports with luxury
Old 03-04-2009, 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C300 Sport, MM, P1
Originally Posted by kimidjk
Merc- luxury with sports
BMW- sports with luxury
that's a good way of putting it
Old 03-04-2009, 04:12 AM

2000 BMW 328i
Originally Posted by kimidjk
Merc- luxury with sports
BMW- sports with luxury
yup I gotta agree with that. pretty much sums everything up. no i just gotta decide what i want