C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

shift knob disassembly (not just removal...)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 01:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W204
shift knob disassembly (not just removal...)

i've been looking all over and can't seem to find this anywhere...

i'm wondering if anybody has disassembled the shift knob from our w204s. i want to take it apart and see if i can retrofit the boot connecting plastic part to a different shift knob that isn't built in. then i could use some custom shift knob that connects with the leather boot perfectly...

i'm holding my plastic aluminum one right now and it seems like it would come apart easily, but i also don't want to just start ripping it apart and break anything. anybody have any ideas?
Old 03-12-2009, 02:03 AM

08-C350 black/black
are you tryin to remove the leather boot from the shiftknob itself? i think you have to push in the 4 flanges on the button to release it...i tried but couldnt get the damn thing off...luckily the new knob i ordered came with the boot so didnt have to remove it..

btw...i have my old one on ebay if you need one to play around with..
Old 03-12-2009, 03:46 AM

W204
no, i got that off fine. the part that i "need" is the plastic part that IS the 4 flanges on the end, aka the plastic part that extends from the shift knob and becomes the 4 flanges thing on the end. basically, if there was a way to get that piece and somehow retrofit that, i could fit any kind of shift knob and use the stock leather boot with perfect fit and attachment.

thanks for the reply though. worst case scenario i might just have to get an extra one and break it apart.

btw, an easy way to undo the 4 flanges and remove the leather boot is to use a piece of a socket wrench (i think the 12mm works perfectly) to compress all 4 at the same time. just fit that over the 4 thingies and give it a slight push and it should all slide off easily.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:03 AM

08-C350 black/black
Originally Posted by tchockie
no, i got that off fine. the part that i "need" is the plastic part that IS the 4 flanges on the end, aka the plastic part that extends from the shift knob and becomes the 4 flanges thing on the end. basically, if there was a way to get that piece and somehow retrofit that, i could fit any kind of shift knob and use the stock leather boot with perfect fit and attachment.

thanks for the reply though. worst case scenario i might just have to get an extra one and break it apart.

btw, an easy way to undo the 4 flanges and remove the leather boot is to use a piece of a socket wrench (i think the 12mm works perfectly) to compress all 4 at the same time. just fit that over the 4 thingies and give it a slight push and it should all slide off easily.

oh ok i see...thanks for the tip...and GL with the project...