C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

C300 Sport or 328i

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 09:24 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by Sportstick
Hey Frank....glad to entertain you.....being more than 50 miles away (RFT limit) from a BMW dealer when a flat happens, maybe on a weekend, as RFTs are very hard to find elsewhere, is SO entertaining....or just put a non-RFT spare in the trunk...whoops...no luggage room anymore...guess no need to take any trips....

Yeah, a lot goes into deciding what car to buy.....but before we get to how much fun it is......you should be able to live with it.....and the engineers at BMW who picked low performing RFTs and then finished it off by not packaging even a space for a spare blew it for alot of us who don't always stay close to home.....
hard to find how? your local Firestone can order them for you (don't forget they're part of Bridgestone network). You can also order it from tirerack and it'll arrive 2-3 days. As well as many tire shops. The traditional American attitude of "if it's not right there on the spot for you to purchase equal HARD TO FIND" attitude is laughable. Why the hell would you go to a BMW dealership for flat tires?

low performing RFTs? The E90/92 with RFT are on the sport packages which either comes with RE050 RFT or PS2 RFT. Other than the ride quality is harsh for the obvious reason they still perform very close to regular RE050 or PS2s. As far as tire performance none are WORSE than the stock Contis or Michelins that comes with the C300 or C350 sport without the 18" option.

just FYI, my C32 never came with RFT OR spare tire. That didn't put me off from purchasing it over the E46 M3. also just so you know that people that complains about it wasn't talking about they're hard to find, but on how harsh the ride quality is with the RFT with the sport packages cars. including 3 and 5er.

Last edited by FrankW; 03-16-2009 at 09:27 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
That is not the point....you find laughable being 100 miles from home or closest replacement RFT??? local Firestone store???...a contradiction in terms in much of the country...again, read the experiences of those who have lived through it and had to go to a BMW dealer just to find a tire... if they were "lucky" enough to have the flat on a weekday.....the point is that if you don't have another RFT within 50 miles or haven't filled up your trunk with a non-RFT spare....you may have a significant problem....especially with family along and schedules to keep....although, you could just waste more $$ by buying another wheel/non-RFT tire assembly locally and leave the flat RFT behind, after all, they are usually not fixable, just to limp home....then you get to buy another $300+ RFT! How fun that is!

I know you want to defend your original criticism, but just realize some lifestyles don't afford the luxury of taking the chances with an RFT-equipped Bimmer when other brands don't put the buyer in that position......I'm done now....almost....talk to a larger group of existing 3 series folks about RFT performance.....now done....
Old 03-16-2009, 09:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'15 C200 AMG line, '08 C300 Sport Avantgarde, '07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd, '02 CLK 200 (gone)
Hey, Austin_KC, you're lucky to have the choices you're looking at--good for you!

As previously noted, the C class is 'sex on wheels'. You'll get a lot of attention from the ladies in this car. They'll be darn impressed with the ride, too, once you get 'em inside.

Besides that, I absolutely love my C300. We don't have the C350 over here, but believe me, the 300 is no slouch. So much fun to drive, very solid AND very comfortable.
Also previously noted, the W204 is proving to be a very reliable design.

Good luck with your decision. Have fun!

Edited:> Oh, yeah, get the factory-installed navi/head unit. I understand that it's a pain in the rear to put in and rather expensive.

Last edited by whkento; 03-16-2009 at 10:00 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:51 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by Sportstick
That is not the point....you find laughable being 100 miles from home or closest replacement RFT??? local Firestone store???...a contradiction in terms in much of the country...again, read the experiences of those who have lived through it and had to go to a BMW dealer just to find a tire... if they were "lucky" enough to have the flat on a weekday.....the point is that if you don't have another RFT within 50 miles or haven't filled up your trunk with a non-RFT spare....you may have a significant problem....especially with family along and schedules to keep....although, you could just waste more $$ by buying another wheel/non-RFT tire assembly locally and leave the flat RFT behind, after all, they are usually not fixable, just to limp home....then you get to buy another $300+ RFT! How fun that is!

I know you want to defend your original criticism, but just realize some lifestyles don't afford the luxury of taking the chances with an RFT-equipped Bimmer when other brands don't put the buyer in that position......I'm done now....almost....talk to a larger group of existing 3 series folks about RFT performance.....now done....
first you are confused about the functionality of the RFT. They're design to allow you to go 100miles to even 200miles if you really can't find a tire shop. under speed of 55mph in case of a flat. Not the 50miles radius with no regards to speed as some of these people that are complaining had done.

just FYI, I regularly drive a 335i sedan or coupe (coupe now becomes the M3) with the RE050 RFT.

blaming the RFT for your family trip or schedules to keep on road hazard is the most retarded thing I've heard. Feel free to go into ANY tire shop and try to get Michelin PS2, Pirelli PZero, or any other high performance tires and see if they have them in stock and ready for you.

In case of a blown out tire, doesn't matter what tires you have 17" and over tire size are NOT TYPICAL. You would still need to wait one way or another OR end up with a different brand and size of the tires. How is this the RFT only issue again? Only owners that have no knowledge about tires will ***** and moan about this issue and very unfortunate that's majority of the people.

It's your lifestyle that can't deal with the flat tire of any kind. Just by reading this and reading about the class action suit is hilarious. BMW must pay for it because your lifestyle doesn't allow RFT right? LMAO...give it up. it's not helping your argument.

Last edited by FrankW; 03-17-2009 at 05:04 AM.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
You're an interesting guy, Frank............peace.

Last edited by Sportstick; 03-17-2009 at 04:57 PM.