C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

ESP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C200 Kompresssor
ESP

How techinically ESP works?
It has anything to do with fuel consumption? or Engine load?
Old 03-28-2009, 11:24 AM

C350
The "Electronic Stability Program" (ESP) is an active safety system
which improves vehicle stability in all driving situations.
It operates by actuating the brakes individually on one or more
wheels on the front or rear axle. ESP stabilizes the vehicle when
cornering, braking, or during non-driven coasting to keep it on the
road and in the desired lane.
ESP complements the familiar functions of the anti-lock brake
system (ABS), acceleration slip regulation (ASR) and engine braking
regulation (EBR).
Old 03-28-2009, 12:08 PM

C200 Kompresssor
Anything related with fuel consumption?
Old 03-28-2009, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
Originally Posted by hazee
no
Old 03-28-2009, 05:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by hazee
I would say "definitely yes". If you drive too fast, you may end up ESP activating, this means high fuel consumption. And it actually isn't only from driving fast but ESP using brakes (individually) which is always bad for fuel efficiency.

But the previous response probably means "as long as you drive reasonably, ESP does not get active and there is absolutely no relation to fuel consumption".
Old 03-28-2009, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
Does deactivating traction control affect ESP at all?
Old 03-28-2009, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 Ghibli S Q4 & 2008 C350
Originally Posted by C300Sport
Does deactivating traction control affect ESP at all?
I think the systems are fully integrated. I don't think you can deactivate just one part of the system. Also, from what I've read you can't fully turn off the system either. Even though we can 'turn off' ESP with the dash button, it still retains some of its functionality.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG
Pushing the ESP off button in our cars just gives us the ability to maintain throttle control while the car or computer retains the ability to brake individual wheels to compensate for loss of traction or stability...

When ESP is on, the car controls both throttle and brake input when intervening.

I'd argue that under slippery conditions, ESP decreases fuel consumption as it prevents too much throttle to control wheel slip.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by WWMIndy
Pushing the ESP off button in our cars just gives us the ability to maintain throttle control while the car or computer retains the ability to brake individual wheels to compensate for loss of traction or stability...

When ESP is on, the car controls both throttle and brake input when intervening.

I'd argue that under slippery conditions, ESP decreases fuel consumption as it prevents too much throttle to control wheel slip.
Right, ESP remains active even if ESP is switched off from the button, but it starts to act a bit later.

True that ESP controls throttle but if the reference is the fuel consumption when ESP does not come to play (ESP on), that gives better mileage. Even if ESP controls throttle, the first reaction is with brakes because brakes operate faster than the throttle.

I assume you actually were considering the case of ESP switched off and gas pedal pressed to produce wheel spin. This case would most likely mean higher fuel consumption than using ESP which prevents the scenario.

But really, as the first response stated, ESP is not there to improve fuel consumption and during normal driving it does not get activated and does not affect fuel consumption at all.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
Right, ESP remains active even if ESP is switched off from the button, but it starts to act a bit later.

True that ESP controls throttle but if the reference is the fuel consumption when ESP does not come to play (ESP on), that gives better mileage. Even if ESP controls throttle, the first reaction is with brakes because brakes operate faster than the throttle.

I assume you actually were considering the case of ESP switched off and gas pedal pressed to produce wheel spin. This case would most likely mean higher fuel consumption than using ESP which prevents the scenario.

But really, as the first response stated, ESP is not there to improve fuel consumption and during normal driving it does not get activated and does not affect fuel consumption at all.
It does not intervene later with it off...as I said it only disables the car from controlling the throttle inputs..

Brake control is always there and is always immediate.

As to your last two lines, I know, this is what I said earlier
Old 03-29-2009, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It does not intervene later with it off...as I said it only disables the car from controlling the throttle inputs..

I admit I haven't read this for the W204 but for all other, earlier models the ESP button does affect the actual ESP sensitivity and in addition it mostly switches off traction control (to intentionally allow wheel spin) where definitely brake operation needs to be switched off, brakes would outperform the engine anyway, does not help if the throttle control (limitation) was removed if brakes operated as with ESP on.

Perhaps I misunderstood your point, because your comment does not make sense in the way I understood it? Can you point a technical document describing what you explain?
Old 03-29-2009, 11:28 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
More fuel?

I would say "definitely yes". If you drive too fast, you may end up ESP activating, this means high fuel consumption.
You can go as fast as you want and as long as the car is not in a slide, ESP does not care a whit.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:35 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
ESP/ABS

I admit I haven't read this for the W204 but for all other, earlier models the ESP button does affect the actual ESP sensitivity and in addition it mostly switches off traction control (to intentionally allow wheel spin) where definitely brake operation needs to be switched off, brakes would outperform the engine anyway, does not help if the throttle control (limitation) was removed if brakes operated as with ESP on.
Mercedes does not allow ABS to be switched off, regardless whether ESP is off (partially) or not. And that's not as good as it sounds because Audi has (or has had) an ABS OFF switch which is an advantage when braking in deep snow because it allows the stopped front wheels to push the snow ahead of them instead of ABSing up on top of it.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG

Perhaps I misunderstood your point, because your comment does not make sense in the way I understood it? Can you point a technical document describing what you explain?
Your comment doesn't make any sense.

My technical document is my life long exposure to the brand.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RLE
You can go as fast as you want and as long as the car is not in a slide, ESP does not care a whit.
You are right, I was not accurate, and it was supposed to be more of a joke.

I meant if you drive too fast to a corner, speed itself does not activate ESP as you say.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RLE
Mercedes does not allow ABS to be switched off, regardless whether ESP is off (partially) or not. And that's not as good as it sounds because Audi has (or has had) an ABS OFF switch which is an advantage when braking in deep snow because it allows the stopped front wheels to push the snow ahead of them instead of ABSing up on top of it.
I was not talking about ABS, you were. I was talking about traction control (ASR). Quoting my comment does not appear relevant.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your comment doesn't make any sense.

My technical document is my life long exposure to the brand.
Something in my comment obviously made you upset, that was no intention at all. How long experience do you have with MBs? I assume we both have far further back from the time ESP (and even ABS) was introduced, should make us even there. But experience often gives wrong conclusions, reading the document MB engineers have written explaining how the car was designed to operate gives a bit of additional understanding.

This thread has diverted from giving useful info (technical, personal views or other), sorry if my comment triggered that, I'll leave the rest of it for you (and others who seem to handle this part better).
Old 12-16-2009, 10:56 AM

2009 C200 Estate
Is this really true? Are anyone sure how the ESP really works when its switched off?

Was out playing a bit last night in the first snow and that was great fun. Its definitely so that the Traction control is off with the button, and i get a feeling that the ESP individual wheel breaking is a LOT less active with the ESP off.

With ESP on you can feel and hear the individual breaks working imidiately when the rear loses traction or slides sideway. But with the ESP off you can most of the time go really wide in long nice slides without any interference from ESP. But occationally you feel some breaking but thats pretty rare with ESP off.

I believe that the ESP is almost off and only breaks some times, didnt see a clear correlation between how wide you go and how the ESP´s breaking reacts. Sometimes in very wide slides it doesent engage and other slides that are not extremly wide breaking was applied.

It could be that the breaking function only comes in when you are rolling with out any throttle, then it might help you strighten up the car but im not sure. Its possible to have fun in the snow and that wouldnt be the case if Indy was right.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:41 AM

w204
Originally Posted by RLE
INCORRECT...you can switch esp completely off in dyno mode. this will eliminate, completely, abs, tcu & esp.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
How do you get to dyno mode again????
Old 12-17-2009, 01:48 AM

C350
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KURqzKHJ4k