Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > C-Class (W204)
REAR BRAKE DUST NO MORE! >

REAR BRAKE DUST NO MORE!

Notices
C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

REAR BRAKE DUST NO MORE!

 
Old 04-08-2009, 03:40 PM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 136
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
REAR BRAKE DUST NO MORE!

I can not belive it, the problem has been cured. I finally got my dealer to do the "top secret updated brake pad" change. The brake dust coating the rear wheels is about 90% better. No idea why this info is so hard to come by, and why it is even harder to get the service department to fess up about the problem and what the fix is. As we know there, is a TSB on this issue, do not give up! get them to change out the pads if you have a "C Class" with the problem.
mikefili is offline  
Old 04-08-2009, 03:59 PM
  #2  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 2,052
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2008 Mercedes C300 4Matic
Really? Thats good news. Though I barely get any brake dust on my rears, it's all mainly in the front wheels.
micropower99 is offline  
Old 04-08-2009, 04:19 PM
  #3  
Member
 
cdye12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Tampa Bay, FL
Posts: 148
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
09 C350
Originally Posted by mikefili View Post
I can not belive it, the problem has been cured. I finally got my dealer to do the "top secret updated brake pad" change. The brake dust coating the rear wheels is about 90% better. No idea why this info is so hard to come by, and why it is even harder to get the service department to fess up about the problem and what the fix is. As we know there, is a TSB on this issue, do not give up! get them to change out the pads if you have a "C Class" with the problem.
What's the build date on your vehicle? I'm going to inquire about the TSB when I go in for service A, which happens at 10K as opposed to 12K for my car, and I want to know if they are doing the TSB for the vehicles that are produced after the cutoff.

Either way, I'm glad you got it done; it must be a relief!
cdye12 is offline  
Old 04-08-2009, 04:55 PM
  #4  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Krytech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,423
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2014 Ghibli S Q4 & 2008 C350
Does anyone know the TSB for this? Is there a reference number or something I can refer them too?

Thanks!
Krytech is offline  
Old 04-08-2009, 05:31 PM
  #5  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 631
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
2017 GLE350 / 2015 C300 4 Matic
SUBJECT:
Model 204.054/056/081, Up to 06/2008 Series Production
Brake Squeal and/or Excessive Brake Dust From Rear Axle

If you receive customer reports in the above model vehicles of brake squeal and or excessive brake dust from the rear axle, replace the rear brake pads with revised parts. Refer to WIS document AR42.10-P-0250CW.
Only first 12 months or 12000 miles will be covered.
Originally Posted by 6spdmanual
hutch300 is offline  
Old 04-08-2009, 09:00 PM
  #6  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 1,373
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a 2009 with the dusty rear pads, not covered by the TSB for some reason. They certainly didn't start putting the "good" pads on with the 2009s, my August build is proof of that. I'm being ripped off.
nyca is offline  
Old 04-08-2009, 09:50 PM
  #7  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Krytech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,423
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2014 Ghibli S Q4 & 2008 C350
Originally Posted by hutch300 View Post
SUBJECT:
Model 204.054/056/081, Up to 06/2008 Series Production
Brake Squeal and/or Excessive Brake Dust From Rear Axle

If you receive customer reports in the above model vehicles of brake squeal and or excessive brake dust from the rear axle, replace the rear brake pads with revised parts. Refer to WIS document AR42.10-P-0250CW.
Only first 12 months or 12000 miles will be covered.
Originally Posted by 6spdmanual
Thanks for the info, I might be out of luck since I've had my car over a year now... I'll call them tomorrow and see what they say.

Thanks again
Krytech is offline  
Old 04-09-2009, 12:05 AM
  #8  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Jerzee
Posts: 124
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
C350
My service adviser actually denied there was such a TSB, but they did replace the rear pads anyway to make me happy. I think you just have to be persistent in how dissatisfied you are with the problem.

A 90% improvement in dusting is pretty accurate for me too and I couldn't be happier. If the dealer didn't do it for free, I would have replaced them myself. Definitely worth it...
eyemd is offline  
Old 04-09-2009, 12:43 AM
  #9  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 58
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2008 C300
This "TSB" is only for build dates through June 2008. 2009's and late 2008's will not be covered under this "TSB".

I just had mine done and will report in a few days.
ptronus31 is offline  
Old 04-09-2009, 01:04 AM
  #10  
MBworld Guru
 
FrankW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Diamond Bar, CA
Posts: 22,007
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
white and whiter
Originally Posted by Krytech View Post
Thanks for the info, I might be out of luck since I've had my car over a year now... I'll call them tomorrow and see what they say.

Thanks again
you can always make the argument if you have less than 12k miles.
FrankW is offline  
Old 04-09-2009, 05:51 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 291
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
C350
IT'S NOT TRUE!!! I called 3 different dealerships and they all said there was no such recall on the cars!!! If anyone else who wants to get it and has called and said there was a recall, please post. I want to know if they are lying to me or not. I doubt it though because 3 dealerships all saying the same thing?!?!?/?? I REALLY want those brake pads for free and my year is going to be up at the end of april!!! ughh if anyone else knows for sure more details about this please post! BTW im in socal area if it makes a difference for it. I drive a C350 and i got it in April 2008. 9800miles
mat2hu is offline  
Old 04-09-2009, 09:44 AM
  #12  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Vancouver WA
Posts: 678
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
'14 GLK250 Diesel
Well, for starters, a TSB is NOT A RECALL. If you used the word "recall" in your inquiries, then all three dealers gave you the correct answer.

TSB stands for Technical Service Bulletin - it alerts service departments to new procedures or parts in response to specific problems. IF you speak up, and IF the SA is savvy enough to check it out, THEN you may get the right response. And as noted above, if your car falls outside the specific dates and / or VIN range for the TSB, it doesn't matter anyway.
jrct9454 is offline  
Old 04-09-2009, 10:58 AM
  #13  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 631
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
2017 GLE350 / 2015 C300 4 Matic
I'm taking my car in today, I want these pads
hutch300 is offline  
Old 04-09-2009, 11:47 AM
  #14  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 136
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is so much confusion about this. The dealers all know about it, and M.B. has taken the position that they will deny it unless you hold a gun to their head. At first my S.A. told me that he DID find the TSB, that was after I printed the number and info that I found here, then he said that there is only one part number for the rears since the begining of the model, then he said that they did in fact get the right pads and change them, my car has 18,000 miles on it. Brakes are perfect, no squeak, dust only in the right amount, read that to be hardly any at all, just the way rears should be. I can not understand why they are keeping this so secret? I will try to read the part numbers off the pads, I can see them through the calipers. S.A. said he did not know if it is a re-formulation of the pad with the same part number, or a new part number, but I should be happy that it fixed the problem.
NO ONE should have to put up with theis problem, just look at any C class on the road and you will see how wide spread it is. Just to clarify, we are not talking simply dust here, it is a coating of black grease that happens after only a few miles of driving, the rears of my car looked like the fronts of a B.M.W. after a 1000 mile road trip.
mikefili is offline  
Old 04-09-2009, 01:07 PM
  #15  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: North Jerzeee
Posts: 923
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lexus IS 350 F Sport
Originally Posted by hutch300 View Post
I'm taking my car in today, I want these pads

Good luck let us know how it goes !! Im just about ready to simply purchase these pads and find some sweet guy to put them on for a 6 pack of beer !!!
omgitselaine is offline  
Old 04-09-2009, 01:14 PM
  #16  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 631
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
2017 GLE350 / 2015 C300 4 Matic
Originally Posted by omgitselaine View Post
Good luck let us know how it goes !! Im just about ready to simply purchase these pads and find some sweet guy to put them on for a 6 pack of beer !!!
I bet they just try and say its normal, i'm not the kind of person who takes no for an answer, so we will see, I do know this break dust thing is out of control, i have to wash my car all the time to keep them clean!

I'll keep you guys up to date on what they say!
hutch300 is offline  
Old 04-09-2009, 01:53 PM
  #17  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 58
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2008 C300
Here are the part numbers:

005-420-42-20 - Brake Lining
211-540-17-17 - Break Wear Strip

Mine took one of each of these part numbers so it must be a set for both sides.
ptronus31 is offline  
Old 04-09-2009, 01:56 PM
  #18  
Junior Member
 
dawgenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Houston metro area
Posts: 33
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2010 E350 and 2008 GL320CDI
well dangit--I have a 2008 C350 that I purchased last July (so build date was obviously before June) that has excessive brake dust on the rear wheels. I always thought it was strange because on my 1999 5-Series that I traded always had brake dust build up on the front wheels. Anyway, my C350 just had Service A and has 13,000+ miles----too late for me.
dawgenstein is offline  
Old 04-09-2009, 02:13 PM
  #19  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 58
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2008 C300
Originally Posted by dawgenstein View Post
well dangit--I have a 2008 C350 that I purchased last July (so build date was obviously before June) that has excessive brake dust on the rear wheels. I always thought it was strange because on my 1999 5-Series that I traded always had brake dust build up on the front wheels. Anyway, my C350 just had Service A and has 13,000+ miles----too late for me.
Too late for free, but the pads would not be expensive and are easy to install.
ptronus31 is offline  
Old 04-09-2009, 02:47 PM
  #20  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 136
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ptronus31 View Post
Here are the part numbers:

005-420-42-20 - Brake Lining
211-540-17-17 - Break Wear Strip

Mine took one of each of these part numbers so it must be a set for both sides.



The question is are these a different part number for the updated pads? or are these the same part numbers for the old pads with a new formula?
mikefili is offline  
Old 04-09-2009, 03:28 PM
  #21  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 58
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2008 C300
I would bet these are a different part number for updated pads. It would be too easy just to assign a new part number rather than chase revision numbers of one.
ptronus31 is offline  
Old 04-09-2009, 05:52 PM
  #22  
MBworld Guru
 
FrankW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Diamond Bar, CA
Posts: 22,007
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
white and whiter
Originally Posted by mat2hu View Post
IT'S NOT TRUE!!! I called 3 different dealerships and they all said there was no such recall on the cars!!! If anyone else who wants to get it and has called and said there was a recall, please post. I want to know if they are lying to me or not. I doubt it though because 3 dealerships all saying the same thing?!?!?/?? I REALLY want those brake pads for free and my year is going to be up at the end of april!!! ughh if anyone else knows for sure more details about this please post! BTW im in socal area if it makes a difference for it. I drive a C350 and i got it in April 2008. 9800miles
you've already got all the detail you need posted above in this thread.

it's a TSB, not a recall. they didn't lie to you because it's not a recall.
FrankW is offline  
Old 04-09-2009, 06:15 PM
  #23  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: S.F. Bay Area
Posts: 451
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2008 C300 Sport, 2010 RX350 AWD
How long are the brake pads on the rear suppose to last anyway??
My car has just under 14k on it and I doubt the dealer will be willing to replace the pads for free..
Also, other than the revised MB oem pad, are there better after market pads out there??

Last edited by justthinking; 04-09-2009 at 06:26 PM.
justthinking is offline  
Old 04-09-2009, 06:28 PM
  #24  
MBworld Guru
 
FrankW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Diamond Bar, CA
Posts: 22,007
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
white and whiter
Originally Posted by justthinking View Post
How long are the brake pads on the rear suppose to last anyway??
My car has just under 14k on it and I doubt the dealer will be willing to replace the pads for free..
Also, other than the revised MB oem pad, are there better after market pads out there??
two sets of front = one set of rear. 50k miles give or take.
FrankW is offline  
Old 04-09-2009, 07:05 PM
  #25  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 364
Thanks: 0
Thanked 22 Times in 17 Posts
08 C300
Originally Posted by mikefili View Post
I can not belive it, the problem has been cured. I finally got my dealer to do the "top secret updated brake pad" change. The brake dust coating the rear wheels is about 90% better. No idea why this info is so hard to come by, and why it is even harder to get the service department to fess up about the problem and what the fix is. As we know there, is a TSB on this issue, do not give up! get them to change out the pads if you have a "C Class" with the problem.
tell me about it. i had to contact MB Canada to get this service done, because 2 local MB dealers denied it.
white46 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Quick Reply: REAR BRAKE DUST NO MORE!


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: