C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

2009 Mercedes-Benz C350 vs. 2009 Honda Accord Article

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 11:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C300 Sport, 2010 RX350 AWD
Originally Posted by albert101
The Benz will last longer than the Honda. How many 40 year old Hondas to do you still see on the road? Still see a lot of 40 year old Benzes!
Japanese car improved a lot during end of 80's/beginning of 90's...
Take a look around you and you will be surprised to see that Camry and Accord from mid 90's still going strong while MB and BMW from the same era became too expensive to keep due to high maintenance and repair bills...

Actually, I don't think it's that much of a reach to compare "US" version of the C-Class to Accord..
Thanks to MBUSA, the C-Class offered in the States lacks quite a few features and options that's available to the rest of the world..
The result is an entry level luxury car that's better than the Accord but not by as wide the margin as it could have been..
Old 05-03-2009, 12:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
C350
I am going to trade my Rolex in for a Seiko? The Seiko keeps better time but it is an apples to oranges like the MB Honda argument. The MB offers design, quality, and prestige that the Honda can't and this has a value. I am not a snob about cars and am very analytical. However as stated the car owning experience goes beyond the options, price, and specifications.
I just got a C350 for my wife after having 330i and am very pleased.
We drove Avalon, Lexus IS. Infinity, BMW 328 and MB was just put together better IMO.
We wouldn't have bought any vehicle if we didn't think we received a good overall value (price, lease rate, etc.).
Old 05-03-2009, 05:20 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
I personally wouldn't say the C-Class is a rolex by any means, especially if the Accord is taking the place of a Seiko. The C may be a superior car all in all, not gonna argue that, but the difference between the two isn't night and day by any means.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 289 Likes on 202 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
On paper the Honda wins clearly. On the road and in the driveway the Benz wins. The current C350 Sport is the first C-Class since the W202 C280 I'd ever consider owning. Handles likes its on rails and when loaded the car really is complete. Shames the Honda on the "car" aspects. The Honda is ugly/goofy looking and quite frankly for 30K I'd rather have something that doesn't produce yawns when looking at it....VW CC, Mazda 6, etc.

M
Old 06-09-2009, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Germancar1
On paper the Honda wins clearly. On the road and in the driveway the Benz wins. The current C350 Sport is the first C-Class since the W202 C280 I'd ever consider owning. Handles likes its on rails and when loaded the car really is complete. Shames the Honda on the "car" aspects. The Honda is ugly/goofy looking and quite frankly for 30K I'd rather have something that doesn't produce yawns when looking at it....VW CC, Mazda 6, etc.

M
You should broaden your horizons before you say things like the C-Class "handles likes its on rails". It may be the best handling MB but obviously you haven't driven the BMW 3 series or even the BMW 5 series.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:00 AM

C350 and a Lightning.
Originally Posted by rieger
You should broaden your horizons before you say things like the C-Class "handles likes its on rails". It may be the best handling MB but obviously you haven't driven the BMW 3 series or even the BMW 5 series.
Well, I own one and I sure wouldn't say it handles like it's on rails.
And I also hope it's not "the best handling MB".
Old 06-10-2009, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by 2tonOfun
Well exluding AMG of course.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:34 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

How 'bout some Pics of that Lightning?
Old 06-10-2009, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by K-A
How 'bout some Pics of that Lightning?
Post some pics of the Lightning. Also can you review it. Looks very nice and amazingly fast.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:14 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Post some pics of the Lightning. Also can you review it. Looks very nice and amazingly fast.
Totally. I'm not a pickup truck fan by any means personally, but I am a car buff, so like em' in all shapes and sizes when they strike that right chord with me. I've always thought Lightnings are just sweet, even despite how ridiculously pointless they are in every which way (can't tow, awful Gas Mileage, horrible Safety scores despite how you'd think a big burly Truck should fare, not as fast as it should be, due to all the weight, etc.). They are definitely still movers though, and the modability is just insane. When Ford released the '03 Cobra I think they really nailed the whole "fast *** rough around the edges car that can take abuse and be modded to astronical HP levels, whilst costing a bargain price" thing.

I was reaaallly close to buying a Lightning as a Daily a while back.

Last edited by K-A; 06-10-2009 at 10:19 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:11 AM

C350 and a Lightning.
A lightning review? oh man don't get me started
Well, K-A you're off on a few points. They actually have a huge tow rating. I'd have to look it up because I'm not into towing and I pulled the whole tow package off the day I got it home, but I have friends who tow a trailer with their race car and all supporting gear across the state to races with theirs. They come with the same rear end and brakes as an F250. And they are not a big burly truck, they are about the smallest "full size" truck made. Mine weighs 4670 with a full (25gals) tank of gas. That's about as much as many larger sedans. and as far as pointless, I have loded it up with tons of stuff to haul and move (although I'll admit, not often as she is spoiled) and I bought mine because I wanted a hot rod that I could carry my surfboard in.
You are right about them being easy to mod (and I take no offence about your remarks by the way, just pointing out the reality. the L is often misunderstood).
With very few mods, mine makes 408 hp and 510 ftlbs of torque To the wheels, with a very safe and conservitive tune and runs a 13.10 at 109 in the 1/4 mile with street tires and will dip into the 12's with slicks.
I've done custom exhaust, blower pulley, tune, CAI, transmission shift kit, lowering springs front and rear, panhard bar and traction bar. That's about it.
I love this truck. it is super fun to drive with all the torque and the tranny kit. It will spank many "fast" cars and I think it looks cool.
It gets Horrible gas millage and only seats three, well usually two, but hey fun comes at a cost and after surfing in the morning, I can toss my surfboard and wetsuit in the back and lock the cover and head to work.

I'm sorry for hijacking this thread but since two of you asked I thought it would be ok, and if I started a seperate one, oh man would the MB purists have a field day with me.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:41 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

A lightning review? oh man don't get me started
Well, K-A you're off on a few points. They actually have a huge tow rating. I'd have to look it up because I'm not into towing and I pulled the whole tow package off the day I got it home, but I have friends who tow a trailer with their race car and all supporting gear across the state to races with theirs. They come with the same rear end and brakes as an F250. And they are not a big burly truck, they are about the smallest "full size" truck made. Mine weighs 4670 with a full (25gals) tank of gas. That's about as much as many larger sedans. and as far as pointless, I have loded it up with tons of stuff to haul and move (although I'll admit, not often as she is spoiled) and I bought mine because I wanted a hot rod that I could carry my surfboard in.
You are right about them being easy to mod (and I take no offence about your remarks by the way, just pointing out the reality. the L is often misunderstood).
With very few mods, mine makes 408 hp and 510 ftlbs of torque To the wheels, with a very safe and conservitive tune and runs a 13.10 at 109 in the 1/4 mile with street tires and will dip into the 12's with slicks.
I've done custom exhaust, blower pulley, tune, CAI, transmission shift kit, lowering springs front and rear, panhard bar and traction bar. That's about it.
I love this truck. it is super fun to drive with all the torque and the tranny kit. It will spank many "fast" cars and I think it looks cool.
It gets Horrible gas millage and only seats three, well usually two, but hey fun comes at a cost and after surfing in the morning, I can toss my surfboard and wetsuit in the back and lock the cover and head to work.

I'm sorry for hijacking this thread but since two of you asked I thought it would be ok, and if I started a seperate one, oh man would the MB purists have a field day with me.

Noice!!

Yeah looks I was off on some of those, as it seems the L does get a misconception in some of those things that I stated. I actually thought it didn't tow? Now that I think about it, I've actually seen them at the Track towing race cars so I dunno what I was thinking, hah.

Yeah, they indeed are actually a small full-size, and have a nice tight look to them, but obviously when in a Thread talking about C-Classes and Accords, I think "burly" is kind of appropriate, lol.

Thanks for the write-up though man, enjoy that thing. And you're also right in that is definitely isn't "pointless", of course what is pointless for what some need out of their car, is completely the opposite for others. If you need and/or like a truck/bed, and want something that hauls *****, not to mention towing capabilities, etc. then a Lightning is right down your alley.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
'18 C63A Cabriolet
Originally Posted by MBWorld.org Editors
Hello everyone,

We posed the question of choosing an Accord over a C300 a little while back. The response was great (thanks for that) with good reason to stick with Mercedes (hard to argue that). There was some defense for the Accord, but the truth is that it is not in fact a luxury car. Whatever it is, it offers a lot for its price. Why then compare it to the C350 when the C300 was the obvious choice last time?

The C350 is a more expensive C-Class that offers a little bit more than the C300 in the way of performance and luxury. In that case, is the price difference enough in a choice between the C350 and Accord -- as far as value vs. cost -- to consider choosing the latter? Especially if you are like the rest of us who are further tightening up the purse strings. When you were shopping for your C-Class, did you consider the two? If so, what did you end up doing?

In case you missed it, find it here: https://mbworld.org/c-class/2009_mer...nda_accord.php

Thanks
Considering nothing other than total overall driving experience, the decision is a no brainer to me. The C looks, feels and drives better than the Accord. Period. But some people don't care much about those three attributes and do care more about reliability, safety and resale value more. That's when the debate starts. It's a matter of personal choice. I considered an Accord and bought a base model (plus the 18" AMG's), 2008 C350, Mars Red with black interior (for $31K) and don't regret it for a second. I'm a looks, feels and drives guy. I can't drive down the road hearing this tinny, hollow sounding car and thinking to myself "yeah, it feels like a typical piece of Japanese nothing, but damn I'm gonna get a good trade-in value in a few years." If that were the case I'd just drive a new Camry with cloth interior and call it a day.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:45 PM

C350 and a Lightning.
Oh man, I thought we were going to get a Lightning vrs Accord or Lightning vrs C class debate going

just kidding.
Please continue.

Yeah, C over the Accord all day. I think HBC350 just hit it on the head.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:23 AM

I thought you bought a Lightning Car not Pick-up. LOL I was wondering how you got it into the US?
http://www.lightningcarcompany.co.uk/home.php
Love your truck but rather have one of these.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
I thought you bought a Lightning Car not Pick-up. LOL I was wondering how you got it into the US?
http://www.lightningcarcompany.co.uk/home.php
Love your truck but rather have one of these.
Wow, that's pretty sweet...I have been watching the Tesla S lately and hope my C lasts long enough to allow them to get all the tech sorted before I buy in....5-10 years should do it.
You have to admit "Lightning" is a better name for an electric car than a nice but admittedly gas hog of a truck...maybe "Dino Drinker"

Last edited by C300Sport; 06-11-2009 at 10:58 AM.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:36 AM

C350 and a Lightning.
Yeah, it was called a Lighting because when it was first introduced, it was faster then a Corvette (the American benchmark for performance at the time) and later when the 2nd generation truck came out in 99 it also beat the Corvette on the drag strip AND the slalom course.

And while that electric Lightning looks really cool, My truck will also do zero to 60 in about 4 seconds, with full sheets of plywood in the back, and go 500 miles without "charging".

Oh, and I payed 20k for it used, 4 years ago and the blue book on it is still over 20k.
What's that new Lighting cost?

I know, Apples to Oranges.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
Yeah, it was called a Lighting because when it was first introduced, it was faster then a Corvette (the American benchmark for performance at the time) and later when the 2nd generation truck came out in 99 it also beat the Corvette on the drag strip AND the slalom course.

And while that electric Lightning looks really cool, My truck will also do zero to 60 in about 4 seconds, with full sheets of plywood in the back, and go 500 miles without "charging".

Oh, and I payed 20k for it used, 4 years ago and the blue book on it is still over 20k.

OK, OK...lol. I was simply pointing out the word play Lightning=Electicity...but anyhow a truck that can haul stuff and haul a$$ is pretty sweet. I almost bought a 454SS to tow a trailer a few years back but thought it was a bit of overkill....lots of fun but overkill
Old 06-12-2009, 01:30 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Are you serious? The 99 L is faster around a slalom than a LS1 Vette? I actually thought that the Vette should even take it on a 1/4 a bit more consistently, although it should be close. I do know the '01+ L's perform quite a bit better than the 99-00's, despite having only 20 or so more HP.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'15 C200 AMG line, '08 C300 Sport Avantgarde, '07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd, '02 CLK 200 (gone)
It's pretty funny where this thread has gone... but I gotta say I like the looks of that truck!

Oh, yeah--I'd really rather not mess with a Honda. I could have saved a LOT of money, but as others have stated, I wouldn't enjoy it nearly as much.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:57 AM

W203 C240, W202 C280sp
funny, but inappropriate comparison

A person could do a lot worse than an accord, but let's stop right there. Accords have wrong-wheel-drive. Accords float at 120 mph. Accords hydroplane all over a rainy interstate highway. Accords make you wonder what you did wrong in life that caused you to end up in a Honda with four wheels. Accords go to the crusher when they turn ten years old.

Live! Drive a Star ship, and don't apologize for it.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:47 AM

2006 E350
Originally Posted by cheezburgrmania
Live! Drive a Star ship, and don't apologize for it.

Well said. I've never heard of Mercedes-Benz referred to as a 'Starship' before but it is very fitting. THank you for the insight.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by dbarnhart
Well said. I've never heard of Mercedes-Benz referred to as a 'Starship' before but it is very fitting. THank you for the insight.
+1, I Like It!
Old 07-19-2009, 02:36 PM

Mercedes Benz
I hate Honda.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:03 AM

2013 GLK350 4matic
Originally Posted by Nuru
I have driven both and i still like the Benz better. I would rather drive a car that has less impact on the environment one car made with fish from an island nation, and the other from a land-based nation. Examine your environmental conscience - fish or crops? Which would you choose to save?

Buy Benz!
THIS IS WHERE YOU EXPRESS YOURSELF AS A TRUE FOOL.... Accords are made in Marysville Ohio.... JD Power scores for the Marysville plant and the Accord have rated quite high in customer satisfaction and overall quality. Compare that to where MB has been in the past 10 years. Accord's have been in C&D's top 10 for how many years??..22 and counting?

Im not sure why you guys compared the C350 to the Accord 4cyl version. Its like comparing the towing capacity of a F150 Powerstroke Diesel to a Ridgeline...I would think the C300 Vs the Accord EX-L V6 would be a closer comparison. Then again, you are comparing a Tier 1 Luxury brand to an entry level brand. Its expected here, comments will be biased, this is an MB forum..

I own a 2009 Honda Accord EX-L V6 Coupe with the 6MT. While it doesn't compare to the quietness, smoothness and prestige as my MB it does have more going for it. It is super fun to drive, gobs of torque especially with the 6MT (torque steer is actually not bad), comfortable, roomy, looks great as a coupe, excellent on fuel for it's size...its a perfect daily driver..Oh and not to mention RELIABILITY!...hello? Lets face it, reliability is the reason why majority of people buy Honda's. A close second is the low cost of ownership, then resale value. As cars, HONDA's ARE GREAT CARS!
I like this review from Motorweek http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15vVdJzdhG4

I bought my MB because of the prestige of the emblem, styling and performance.... I could of bought an Acura TL SH-AWD for its performance, if only it didn't look so fugly...id have the reliability, performance and killer looks...minus the prestige emblem of course

Last edited by Tugzy; 09-07-2009 at 09:08 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2009 Mercedes-Benz C350 vs. 2009 Honda Accord Article