C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

For those with the OEM Navi.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 04:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C350
For those with the OEM Navi.....

I need some help determining if my navigation is working properly.

Here is a brief background. I purchased a COMAND (MM) unit to change my Audio 20. I got a European unit from Ebay UK. When I installed the unit I changed the DVD region to 1 in order to watch US DVDs though the engineer menu; I left the market setting on ECE (being JAP/ECE/US the three options) because the radio stations are displayed much better in ECE. No surprise, the unit came with the Euro maps; so I got the US map update DVD and updated my maps…

YES, I have just confirmed you can update a Euro COMAND to US with the update DVD.

Anyways, after updating the maps, the navi would show my correct position on the map and the street name, but it would not let me input an address; it would just say “Function not available at this moment”. So I remembered the market setting on the engineer menu and went back and changed it to US.

Now the navigation is working fine, or so I assume. Here are my questions:

When I changed the market setting from ECE to US I lost several features:
Under navigation mode I had the option to chose from shortest to fastest, and then a list of “avoidable” items. Now, I only have the list of avoidable items, but I can’t switch from shrortest to fastest anymore.
The other feature I lost was the TMC (traffic messages thing); not that it worked anyways (it said no traffic stations cold be found in the area); but now is not even there (so bye bye to any chances of making it work).
The other difference I quickly noticed from the ECE to US change was that the radio stations used to be displayed with their name over the frequency line, now it is just the numbers.

On top of that, some of the things I noticed about the navi which I would really like to very if they are indeed supposed to be like this:
The directions won’t tell you the street to turn on, just “turn right in x feet” but not the street name.
It is impossible to enter the name of a random business; you have to go though the POI categories, which are very limited (no bars or night clubs for instance), so how do I get to a bar if I only have the name?.
On top of that, the POI system is very annoying and very limited (in terms of the number of business it has).

Is your navigation like this as well?
Old 04-14-2009, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by Bokx_350
I need some help determining if my navigation is working properly.

Here is a brief background. I purchased a COMAND (MM) unit to change my Audio 20. I got a European unit from Ebay UK. When I installed the unit I changed the DVD region to 1 in order to watch US DVDs though the engineer menu; I left the market setting on ECE (being JAP/ECE/US the three options) because the radio stations are displayed much better in ECE. No surprise, the unit came with the Euro maps; so I got the US map update DVD and updated my maps…

YES, I have just confirmed you can update a Euro COMAND to US with the update DVD.

Anyways, after updating the maps, the navi would show my correct position on the map and the street name, but it would not let me input an address; it would just say “Function not available at this moment”. So I remembered the market setting on the engineer menu and went back and changed it to US.

Now the navigation is working fine, or so I assume. Here are my questions:

When I changed the market setting from ECE to US I lost several features:
Under navigation mode I had the option to chose from shortest to fastest, and then a list of “avoidable” items. Now, I only have the list of avoidable items, but I can’t switch from shrortest to fastest anymore.
The other feature I lost was the TMC (traffic messages thing); not that it worked anyways (it said no traffic stations cold be found in the area); but now is not even there (so bye bye to any chances of making it work).
The other difference I quickly noticed from the ECE to US change was that the radio stations used to be displayed with their name over the frequency line, now it is just the numbers.

On top of that, some of the things I noticed about the navi which I would really like to very if they are indeed supposed to be like this:
The directions won’t tell you the street to turn on, just “turn right in x feet” but not the street name.
It is impossible to enter the name of a random business; you have to go though the POI categories, which are very limited (no bars or night clubs for instance), so how do I get to a bar if I only have the name?.
On top of that, the POI system is very annoying and very limited (in terms of the number of business it has).

Is your navigation like this as well?
Wow, sounds like you've been using the comand in my W203... I know it has most of those issues normally. I can tell you that on the W204 the radio traffic message option should not be there with it set to US and no it does not pronounce street names AFAIK.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w205 - Black
u can navigate to business:
destination-from poi-search by name
Old 04-14-2009, 06:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C350
Originally Posted by woedee
u can navigate to business:
destination-from poi-search by name
This only works with the manual knob, not the voice, and when I try it it lists the entire US list. Imagine how many "Jones" are out there!!

Is yours like this?
Old 04-14-2009, 07:13 PM

w205 - Black
True..the system doesnt filter results based on location (wish it did). Overall, I am dissatisfied with the functions of the nav system, as even my windows mobile has a nav app far superior than whats found on our w204's.

Last edited by woedee; 04-14-2009 at 07:24 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
S350 BT 4MATIC
Yep the Traffic option is not available on the same band as Europe and so the MB NAV is out of luck here because I believe it only receives that EURO band.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
The traffic info comes from the standard FM frequencies actually. The European system is called TMC and the info is from the RDS signal on FM stations.

The US FM radio has a bit different but very similar info as RDS in Europe, W221 models receive traffic info from US FM stations and I don't see why the W204 could not. After all, if you can see the radio station names in text, and sometimes some other info, the traffic data would be transmitted with the same approach.

My guess is that the traffic option has been intentionally dropped from US W204 models (I understand this is the same for MM/Comand as well as for UMI?). It could be licence cost or something else. Many European countries provide traffic info commercially, navi manufacturers have to pay for that option.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:02 PM

w205 - Black
Sucks that we dont get this in the US. Id be willing to pay for a subscription service if MBUSA made it available.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S350 BT 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
The traffic info comes from the standard FM frequencies actually. The European system is called TMC and the info is from the RDS signal on FM stations.

The US FM radio has a bit different but very similar info as RDS in Europe, W221 models receive traffic info from US FM stations and I don't see why the W204 could not. After all, if you can see the radio station names in text, and sometimes some other info, the traffic data would be transmitted with the same approach.

My guess is that the traffic option has been intentionally dropped from US W204 models (I understand this is the same for MM/Comand as well as for UMI?). It could be licence cost or something else. Many European countries provide traffic info commercially, navi manufacturers have to pay for that option.
W221 must have authorization like you are saying. Seems that if we find a way to tune in the appropriate frequencies, we could probably get it, unless it is encoded/scrambled?
Old 04-26-2009, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S350 BT 4MATIC
Originally Posted by woedee
Sucks that we dont get this in the US. Id be willing to pay for a subscription service if MBUSA made it available.
Usually, you can also get it on Sirius, or your local FM or AM market will have a 24 hour traffic status broadcast. My experience is that none of thee performs as good as some of the online one - and some of the ones available via your phone.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Garmin 775T....with real time traffic at no extra charge....US and European maps included too....works great!