C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Sirius Sat Module

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S-550
Chris I took my car in on thursday called on friday and the car is ready for pick-up BUT no fix I quoted your advise to the service manager and he stated that he would call Mercedes .Since I have had the diagnostic done and the software updated and as you state MB is aware of the problem why didn't they replace the Sat. Module?? But I will call Mercedes again and this time I only want to talk to someone that can fix the problem because I am getting fed up .But as I have read this thread I have noticed that others who have had the module replaced have still continued to have the same problem see Nukefixer's post from yesterday.The S/A say's that it could be a problem with Sirius . What a crock !!!!
Old 06-13-2009, 07:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
S350 BT 4MATIC
Sounds like new module time.

BTW, can you all list the number of miles/KM on your cars or how long you have had your cars? I was wondering if it was something wrong with a lot of these modules and after a certain length of time they go into lala land. I have had my Sirius on for 5 months sofar, but it has been in the car since Dec 2007

Last edited by Nuru; 06-13-2009 at 07:38 AM.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:23 AM

2012 US Edition C300 Luxury 4-Matic
Originally Posted by Nuru
Sounds like new module time.

BTW, can you all list the number of miles/KM on your cars or how long you have had your cars? I was wondering if it was something wrong with a lot of these modules and after a certain length of time they go into lala land. I have had my Sirius on for 5 months sofar, but it has been in the car since Dec 2007
I guess I should have mentioned, I got almost 6,000 miles on mine, purchased new in October 2008, I believe it was manufactured in May 08?

Since my last post, I went online to Sirius.com and requested a new activation signal to be sent, yesterday when I got in and started it up, it said it was updating the channel list and then it played flawlessly all day.

Next time it goes into "acquiring signal" mode, I will contact the local dealership and they can make another "note of it".

I'm crossing my fingers that maybe it was a weather related event and now I'm okay?

Gary
Old 06-13-2009, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S350 BT 4MATIC
Originally Posted by nukefixer
I guess I should have mentioned, I got almost 6,000 miles on mine, purchased new in October 2008, I believe it was manufactured in May 08?

Since my last post, I went online to Sirius.com and requested a new activation signal to be sent, yesterday when I got in and started it up, it said it was updating the channel list and then it played flawlessly all day.

Next time it goes into "acquiring signal" mode, I will contact the local dealership and they can make another "note of it".

I'm crossing my fingers that maybe it was a weather related event and now I'm okay?

Gary
You know I just started noticing some drop outs on my service in clear Sky, and i know that it is not Sirius, so i might be seeing the issue. I also am about to renew, so i guess i will go ahead and do that and see how it works. I have 13k on mine but the serfvice has been only on for about 2500 miles.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
BTW, for those who like Sirius enough to really want it to work well, I just renewed at the end of my trial period....did a lifetime at $399, which is available through the end of June before an increase.

$399/36 months = $11.08 per month, already an improvement!
$399/48 months = $8.31 per month, even better, and of course improves further with more car ownership time, so for owners (vs. lessees), this may make some sense.

Caveat: Not transferable to another ESN unless radio in car is replaced due to service repair.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:33 PM

Latest Sirius Sat Module Update

Since the last installation of a replacement Sat Module, the car is now worse then ever, I have had no Sirius Sat radio for a steady 2 days, dropped it off this afternoon at the dealership as Germany said to check the antenna, they did and said nothing wrong with that, they contacted Germany again, Germany indicated that since the last replacement Sat Module was installed they have since changed the part number and added some additional enhancements, they said to order one for my car and install it. the dealership ordered it and said they will contact me in a few days upon receiving it and will make an appointment for installation of Sat Module #2.

I'm crossing my fingers?
Old 06-16-2009, 10:47 PM

S-550
STILL NOT FIXED

Purchased my car in Sept 08 with a Manufactured date of May 08. Maybe their was a bad batch of Sat Modules. Because after 5 time to the dealer American Service Center my Sirius radio is still dropping the singal and the dealer claims that he can't find anything wrong, Now he say's that the sotfware upgrades may take awhile to take effect
Old 06-20-2009, 12:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S350 BT 4MATIC
I will be testing mine out tomorrow after going to the shop for some SCN coding.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by rrobin
Purchased my car in Sept 08 with a Manufactured date of May 08. Maybe their was a bad batch of Sat Modules. Because after 5 time to the dealer American Service Center my Sirius radio is still dropping the singal and the dealer claims that he can't find anything wrong, Now he say's that the sotfware upgrades may take awhile to take effect
That sounds like bull C#@% to me, I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the Sirus Sat radio as an add on, never dropped a signal in the 3 years I owned and drove it!
My son also has a Hundai with it and his works better than my Mercedes.... they will fix it, as they know I won;t go away till its repaired and working properly...... I must say they have been very gracious about it. This will be the 2nd Sat Module replaced on advice of MB Germany, plus 1 software upgrade?

Gary
Old 06-24-2009, 09:54 AM

Dealership just called, the next replacement Sat Mod is in

My local dealership just called stating the next replacement Sirius sat module is in, I have an appointment for tomorrow morning for installation of that unit. MB Germany has said this sat module is considered an upgrade from the one currently in my vehicle which was the same as the original, so we'll see?

Funny enough, all this week, the Sirius Sat Radio has played perfectly, no dropouts, and I have frequently changed channels, etc.... I told the service advisor that and they said, "well its only a matter of time" so I was considering NOT having them replace the current module, but after thinking about it, that would not be prudent, they know that this is an on-going issue with my vehicle, so I'll let them replace the module and I'll go from there.

So luckily, this has been my only issue with my vehicle!

By the way, My son just purchased a 2009 Hundai with a Sirius sat radio and it plays flawlessly...... and chuckles at my Mercedes and its problematic sat radio

After a few days, I'll post my experiences with this latest "upgraded" sat module from MB Germany.

I must admit, so far they have been very good about trying to correct the problem, my hats off to MB for that!
Old 06-24-2009, 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2013 G63 AMG
mine says ''acquiring signal'' sometimes for 2-8 seconds and it just goes back to normal after.

happens like once every 2-3 days

if it does that, it's perfectly normal

but if it just acquires signal for like an hour straight, there is a problem!
Old 06-24-2009, 01:48 PM

Acquiring Signal

Originally Posted by vcruiser
mine says ''acquiring signal'' sometimes for 2-8 seconds and it just goes back to normal after.

Mine is totally unpredictable, it will go into "Acquiring Signal" mode from seconds to hours..... Sometimes, if I stop and turn the car completely off, then back on, it will work. Sometimes it goes for days with out missing a beat, sometimes it goes for days where it just cycles on and off as far as receiving a radio signal, switch it to conventional radio and its fine?

I am paying Sirius for a service that they provide after all, so until MB corrects the problem I'll continue visiting them till its repaired, I'm crossing my fingers that tomorrow, the "upgraded" sat module is the magic bullet.

Last edited by nukefixer; 06-24-2009 at 01:50 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 06-24-2009, 07:40 PM

S-550
Originally Posted by vcruiser

What are you saying !!!!It's normal for signal to dropfor no reason

Last edited by rrobin; 06-24-2009 at 07:50 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:44 PM

S-550
Mine is totally unpredictable, it will go into "Acquiring Signal" mode from seconds to hours..... Sometimes, if I stop and turn the car completely off, then back on, it will work. Sometimes it goes for days with out missing a beat, sometimes it goes for days where it just cycles on and off as far as receiving a radio signal, switch it to conventional radio and its fine?

I am paying Sirius for a service that they provide after all, so until MB corrects the problem I'll continue visiting them till its repaired, I'm crossing my fingers that tomorrow, the "upgraded" sat module is the magic bullet.
Keep us posted as Amercan Service Center in VA is still giving me the same BS about not being able to find a solution.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:27 PM

Sat Module #2 Upgraded version from MB Germany

Okay, dropped my car off this morning at the dealership and they just called awhile ago, they replaced the sat module with another one. Supposedly according to the S/A, its a newer version and she said its considered an upgraded version, so I'll cross my fingers with this one, I'll know in a few days I guess?

I asked if they send the old one back for testing and she replied yes, but she said "MB knows there are issues with sat module otherwise they wouldn't now have a different part number" for it, plus when they spoke with MB Germany they said they would send the newer version and it should solve my problems of dropped signals and working intermittently....

If it works as advertised, I'll stop at the dealership and obtain the part number of this newer sat module version and will post it here for anyone who maybe experiencing the same problem as me, as I'm sure there are a few other people than who has responded here to my postings?

Gary
Old 10-12-2009, 04:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
So whatever happened with your Sat module?

I've been having a similar experience and before getting involved with the dealer would like to know if they can actually fix it or not.

Also, with my Sirius subscription renewing in November, there's not much point in renewing it if its not going to work.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:06 PM

w205 - Black
& please post part # of 'updated' Sirius module (may have been included on your service invoice).
Old 10-16-2009, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by JimPap
So whatever happened with your Sat module?

I've been having a similar experience and before getting involved with the dealer would like to know if they can actually fix it or not.

Also, with my Sirius subscription renewing in November, there's not much point in renewing it if its not going to work.
My 13000 "A" service is coming due, so the dealership has also ordered another Sat module and also an antenna, they are replacing both, my Sirus radio still cuts in and out......

Waiting on them to call, should be early next week they work on it?

Nuke
Old 10-17-2009, 12:14 PM

2013 E350 4MATIC
We have a 2008 C300 P2 in our family. The Sirius Sat radio is FLAWLESS. Thank goodness!

Lets consider other possibilities other than the Sirius module being defective.

Signal loss occurs because the Sat radio cannot see the satellite.

1) Perhaps there is an intermittent connection between the outside antenna and the Sat radio in either the wiring or the connectors.

2) Maybe the Sat antenna splitter is defective. There are a few cases where the splitter is connected backwards, which can still work but with a greatly degraded signal.

After replacing the Sat radio a few times and the problem persists, it's most likely not the radio itself.

-David
Old 10-17-2009, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
David,

Monday willl be the first time I'll have taken it to the shop for this problem.

My main concern is that these intermittant problems can be the devil to track down and I'd rather not make a half dozen trips to the dealer for this.

I clearly remember the first time the sat radio went into "acquiring satellite" mode. I had run over a rather bad place in the road...the kind that jar your teeth. I'm hoping its as simple as a loose cable....but that'd be too easy.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:49 PM

David,

My main concern is that these intermittant problems can be the devil to track down and I'd rather not make a half dozen trips to the dealer for this.

I clearly remember the first time the sat radio went into "acquiring satellite" mode. I had run over a rather bad place in the road...the kind that jar your teeth. I'm hoping its as simple as a loose cable....but that'd be too easy.
This also happened to me, I first thought maybe after hitting a bump that something maybe loose, but its erratic when it happens.

Also I can be under clear blue sky and it goes out, no rhyme or reason.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
Same here. It can go out after 7 minutes of driving or wait 4 days and then go out....and anything inbetween.

The stranger times it goes out is when I'm on a perfectly smooth road away from buildings and clear sky. That would be when I'd think it wouldn't go out but does.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:28 AM

2013 E350 4MATIC
This also happened to me, I first thought maybe after hitting a bump that something maybe loose, but its erratic when it happens.

Also I can be under clear blue sky and it goes out, no rhyme or reason.
Same here. It can go out after 7 minutes of driving or wait 4 days and then go out....and anything inbetween.

The stranger times it goes out is when I'm on a perfectly smooth road away from buildings and clear sky. That would be when I'd think it wouldn't go out but does.
David,

This really points to a poor cable connection. I'd ask the dealer to "exercise" all connections in the value chain from antenna to radio unit. There's a signal splitter in the chain that's used for GPS, if GPS is installed or not.

It would be interesting if someone experiencing these problems also have the navi system. If navi looses sight of the satellites, that would be telling the issue is not the Radio.

I'm pulling for you guys! Sat radio is so darn good, this type of stuff is frustrating. I'd rather have my headlights flicker periodically then lose Sat radio intermittently!

-David
Old 10-18-2009, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by dw8083
This really points to a poor cable connection. I'd ask the dealer to "exercise" all connections in the value chain from antenna to radio unit. There's a signal splitter in the chain that's used for GPS, if GPS is installed or not.

It would be interesting if someone experiencing these problems also have the navi system. If navi looses sight of the satellites, that would be telling the issue is not the Radio.

I'm pulling for you guys! Sat radio is so darn good, this type of stuff is frustrating. I'd rather have my headlights flicker periodically then lose Sat radio intermittently!

-David
David, I don't have Sat/Nav installed, I do occasionally hook up a remote Garmin GPS.

The Dealership is ordering the Sat radio module and a new antennae and they said they will reinstall everything with the new parts. I had mentioned a loose connection to them, but they said they checked everything up until this point? Yesterday it worked for 10 minutes and then bam, its been out ever since?

I'm waiting on the dealer calling with my appointment for next week and we'll go from there, I'm almost to the point of chucking it and just trade the damn car in for a 2010 model?

Nuke.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
Got my car back already.

They did the software update and that's it for now. Guess I'll have to see if it fixes the problem before going to the next step.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Sirius Sat Module