C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Automatic transmision - Gear indicator?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C350
Originally Posted by duboisi
In Malaysia, we get paddle shift as standard for V6 model. There is a "M" manual button next to gear shift and "C/S" switch at the dash. But the paddle shift is kind of boring as the lag using paddle shift is worst than lag in "C" mode.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21176250@N03/3506897357/
That's what I was talking about... do you just choose the gear? That's what I would like...

And how long is the delay? (like 1 second or something)
Old 05-06-2009, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 Ghibli S Q4 & 2008 C350
I also would like to have a visual display on the dash that indicates exactly what gear the trany is in at all times. This could be in addition to the max-gear display if needed. Also it would be nice if when you're in manual mode say in 3 or 4th gear and you stomp on the gas that it doesn't downshift. Some times it's nice to speed up with out downshifting, but if you give it too much gas the car is going to downshift for you.

I think the C63 has a good blend of features in it's trany but I've only had the pleasure to speed a limited amount of time behind the wheel of one.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:02 PM

C300
Originally Posted by Krytech
I also would like to have a visual display on the dash that indicates exactly what gear the trany is in at all times. This could be in addition to the max-gear display if needed. Also it would be nice if when you're in manual mode say in 3 or 4th gear and you stomp on the gas that it doesn't downshift. Some times it's nice to speed up with out downshifting, but if you give it too much gas the car is going to downshift for you.

I think the C63 has a good blend of features in it's trany but I've only had the pleasure to speed a limited amount of time behind the wheel of one.

agree.

You can usually tell what gear it is in from rpm and speed if it only had 4 or 5 gears. but 7 gears are simply too many...LOL
Old 05-07-2009, 12:16 AM

w204 c230
Originally Posted by len56
That's what I was talking about... do you just choose the gear? That's what I would like...

And how long is the delay? (like 1 second or something)
Yes in "M" mode with paddle shift, gear will only change if you manually shift them, but the software will still interrupt to protect the engine, i.e. when rpm is too low or too high.
Delay is more like 2 secs.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:13 AM

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
2008 C350-Sport-AMG-Active Agility Pack + B170 2008+Mitsibishi+Mazda
Manual mode:I can see which gear...Manual Mode can be activated from Sport[With stiffining] or Comfort modes.

Sport Mode:I can see which gear

Comfort Mode:I cannot see which gear....Would have liked to see it here, because you can cruise in 6th instead of 7th.

I would also have like it to be a larger display in middle of gauge.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:27 PM

C300 4matic Sport, CBR 954
Originally Posted by WWMIndy
I dont know man...looks like you are being complacent. I drive like an a$$ hole and sounds to me like you are trying to achieve the same thing. Therefore, I can infer that for that type of driving, you would do what I do, which is constantly shift, never letting the car really control the gears, so I only have 1 gear to step down from in any event if i want to do what you are describing, which i do often..

just an inference, not fact, but more than likely.

let this one go, it's a null point and doesn't bother the normal driver. can you imagine if every time you touched the stick to the left the thing would automatically get in the lowest gear? 90% of our clients would ***** from the delta in transmission deceleration, or that "jerk" or "clank" that we all refer to.

+1 on this, most people that own this car dont even use the shift mode, they just stay in auto mode, remember guys this is a luxury car, not a sports car.
guess what, they had to choose, and i think they chose the lesser of two evils from a service perspective.

for that remainder of 10%, they outfitted the cars with the capability to downshift in the lowest gear by holding the lever to left. Adapt to how the car was built, you won't have a problem..If you want a custom built car to all your specifications and desires, get $20 mill and start developing.

in the mean time, i'm happy with my lease payment and the car that sits in my garage.

let's be realistic, this is an entry level C-class, not a clk bs.

+1 on this guys, remember its a luxury car, not a sports car and most people who own a C dont even use the shift mode and if u wanted that so bad u should of got the manual.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:49 PM

C 280 4Matic
Thanks for explaining this. I was hoping for some sort of sequential shifting like with paddles and will make more sense to me than current system. But I guess I can live it with. I will probly drive in C or S mostly anyway, couse I was driving MT cars for 10 years and I am going to enjoy AT comfort now
Old 05-07-2009, 10:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
C350 Elegance
Lightbulb

You may get paddles, but is for the same gear-box operation. You wish to downshift, you move the lever one way. You wish to upshift, you move the lever the other way. You wish to increase rpm you put the pedal to the metal. You wish to start in first, select S; you wish to start in second, select C. It's simple. Even I can drive it and not get confused with the '28 Ford three pedals plus wheel levers control; nor with the Porsche manual box; nor with the Caddy Hydramatic box. It's simple. As simple as changing to a car with racing F1 drive wheel with electronic hand controls (it's only money).

Have fun. JV
Old 05-08-2009, 06:18 AM

C 280 4Matic
Originally Posted by JoeVal
You may get paddles, but is for the same gear-box operation. You wish to downshift, you move the lever one way. You wish to upshift, you move the lever the other way. You wish to increase rpm you put the pedal to the metal. You wish to start in first, select S; you wish to start in second, select C. It's simple. Even I can drive it and not get confused with the '28 Ford three pedals plus wheel levers control; nor with the Porsche manual box; nor with the Caddy Hydramatic box. It's simple. As simple as changing to a car with racing F1 drive wheel with electronic hand controls (it's only money).

Have fun. JV
Cant wait to try it , still got one month left till delivery.

I was thinking about paddles, but it comes only with AMG package and I decided to go without, couse it is in package with sport suspension. And that is not good idea, when it comes to our roads