C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Power Pulley System

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
Originally Posted by aranu
how easy is these installs? how much 0-100kph[0-60mph] does the abedin reduce? the automotive designs one? Last thing i know about pulley systems, my friend in his 300zx got a new pulley band and it ended up reducing his horsepower, rather than increase. this being a pulley I wonder if it will be mess up as well....
The installation should be very easy, specially that there is a lot of room between the radiator and the pulley.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GLK Matte Silver|MB Arts strut tower brace|MB Arts rear brace|Shaved door and bumper trim|K&N's|
Originally Posted by Carsy
Too many people believe in fairies .You are a marketers dream .

To think you are going to have a 10 HP increase in engine power by fitting the pully is fanciful.

No one has shown any registered before & after pully fitting dyno test results.I look forward to seeing them.
You are probably having a hard time believing the the numbers because they seem like a huge increase since your ride only has 170hp. Mine comes with 268hp stock so the numbers are'nt as big to me.If you want to see dyno numbers for a pulleys abilities, Evosport has a dyno chart posted for their C63 pulley.

Last edited by GLK4MATIC; 05-24-2009 at 09:11 PM.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Originally Posted by GLK4MATIC
You are probably having a hard time believing the the numbers because they seem like a huge increase since your ride only has 170hp. Mine comes with 268hp stock so the numbers are'nt as big to me.If you want to see dyno numbers for a pulleys abilities, Evosport has a dyno chart posted for their C63 pulley.
Good thinking GLK . Thank you.

Still, I wonder why MB do not fit a lighter pully if the increase in efficiency is so great. It seems that the pulleys are of greater benifit to people who spin their engines. I am happy to run my 220 CDI at 2000rpm which gives a max torque of 400 Nm.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
Originally Posted by Carsy
Good thinking GLK . Thank you.

Still, I wonder why MB do not fit a lighter pully if the increase in efficiency is so great. It seems that the pulleys are of greater benifit to people who spin their engines. I am happy to run my 220 CDI at 2000rpm which gives a max torque of 400 Nm.
MB has to keep in mind that they have to drive all accessories at full power with the stock pulley. If you install an underdrive pulley, you have no one to blame but yourself when your AC is not quite as cold, your steering assist is not quite as strong or your lights dim for an instant when another accessory kicks in...we rarely run our accessories drawing full power so it is likely to never be problematic...as long as the alternator is not turning too slow...
Old 05-25-2009, 12:05 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
Hello Everyone,

Having been in the Pulley business for some time I will tell you that those claims are NOT realistic even in the slightest. That pulley is significantly heavier than ours (if any lighter than stock at all), and it won't make that kind of power on a C230. Those power gains are for the V8s, not M272 C230 V6s (and thats assuming its actually any lighter than stock). Furthermore even our pulley does not reduce your accelerations by that much (not even close, 1.2sec is a ridiculous amount of time when it comes to 0-60 acceleration).

Furthermore, To this date this seller STILL has not posted the exact weight specs of his pulley which leads one to believe that there may be very little mass reduction at all since the seller keeps dodging the question over and over and refuses to answer just how much the pulley weighs.

And the price... At nearly twice the price with at best half the gains... I think the choice is pretty simple. Just being honest.

~AMS~
Old 05-25-2009, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by AMS Performance
Hello Everyone,

Having been in the Pulley business for some time I will tell you that those claims are NOT realistic even in the slightest. That pulley is significantly heavier than ours (if any lighter than stock at all), and it won't make that kind of power on a C230. Those power gains are for the V8s, not M272 C230 V6s (and thats assuming its actually any lighter than stock). Furthermore even our pulley does not reduce your accelerations by that much (not even close, 1.2sec is a ridiculous amount of time when it comes to 0-60 acceleration).

Furthermore, To this date this seller STILL has not posted the exact weight specs of his pulley which leads one to believe that there may be very little mass reduction at all since the seller keeps dodging the question over and over and refuses to answer just how much the pulley weighs.

And the price... At nearly twice the price with at best half the gains... I think the choice is pretty simple. Just being honest.

~AMS~
With you on that one
Old 05-25-2009, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 Mercedes C300 4Matic
Hello Everyone,

~AMS~
What are you talking about, your selling the exact same product?! So your saying if I have the stock pulley and the aftermarket in both hands they won't feel a difference? Suuuure. That's why the seller has a 99% feedback.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBUSA
Hello Everyone,

~AMS~

I know a few 63s who showed zero gains on a dyno with a pulley upgrade....definitely not worth it for the price
Old 05-25-2009, 05:38 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
Originally Posted by micropower99
What are you talking about, your selling the exact same product?! So your saying if I have the stock pulley and the aftermarket in both hands they won't feel a difference? Suuuure. That's why the seller has a 99% feedback.
No, you are misinformed. They are not the same product. Our pulleys a significantly lighter than those pulleys and they have been independently dynod to make strong gains on the 55 AMG engines.

Yes you will certainly feel a difference if you hold them in each hand obviously the stock one is heavy and ours is significantly lighter, but based on their design I would be shocked if they removed 1-2lbs at most off the stock pulley, furthermore they have zero independent dyno proof before & after.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:39 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
Originally Posted by GENTANI
I know a few 63s who showed zero gains on a dyno with a pulley upgrade....definitely not worth it for the price
Obviously not because our 63 Pulley hasn't come out yet . I'm sure anything currently on the market is overpriced and under performing. So I agree with you, not worth the price for the current 63 options.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Read this & make your choices.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ght=AMS+pulley
Old 05-26-2009, 03:43 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
There is very little point in even doing a 6.3L pulley since the market is so small and most of them are still under warranty therefore very few people will even touch their 63s for even basic mods much less pulleys. ECU upgrades are the most popular mods for those cars simply b/c they are non invasive (and on C63s they extract good power because that specific ECU has been detuned). AMS will eventually release the 63 pulley but for now it just does not make financial sense until there is a substantial market for it.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 Mercedes C300 4Matic
No, you are misinformed. They are not the same product. Our pulleys a significantly lighter than those pulleys and they have been independently dynod to make strong gains on the 55 AMG engines.

Yes you will certainly feel a difference if you hold them in each hand obviously the stock one is heavy and ours is significantly lighter, but based on their design I would be shocked if they removed 1-2lbs at most off the stock pulley, furthermore they have zero independent dyno proof before & after.
You have to stop underestimating the competition. Don't get me started with how many negative threads I've seen about your business. The only way to tell if this pulley is any different than yours is to buy both and stack them up against each other. Which by the way I have still yet to see a dyno sheet for a C300 and C350.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 4matic Sport, CBR 954
well i can see where AMS is a bit bias but they do have a point, its pretty tuff to believe this pulley can pull that type of hp gain, not to say its impossible but definatly questionable, i too would like to know the weight as well see a dyno sheet before making any true assumptions.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:06 PM

C250 Sport
Okay the 10 hp claim is ridiculous. I dynoed my C300 manual with KN filters and got 241 hp at the crank. 207.0 hp at the wheels. A powerchip ECU upgrade is good for 13 hp as well. They claim with 91 octane 241 hp at the crank. Please go somewhere else with these bogus 1.2 sec improvement with your 0-60 times. That means a stock C300 would do 0-60 in 6.0 seconds flat...... Please wake up everyone. The only mods I trust are KN air filters, a set of headers and an ECU tune.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator

How did you get a crank reading? - what dyno, what inlet air temp etc. etc. etc.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
A pully mod should be among the last mods you make. It will probably be the least bang for your buck mod, especially with only one. I know there isn't much available for the W204, but ECU and exhaust mods should be first. Even gains with those mods haven't really been widely reported for the C300/350s.

Before any retailers pipe up again, post some numbers, videos, or something we can use.

Originally Posted by tanktube67
The installation should be very easy, specially that there is a lot of room between the radiator and the pulley.
Depends on how long the bolt is too.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:18 AM

C250 Sport
In response to my dyno claims i have them posted on benzworld.org. If you google C300 dynoed you will se my post with dyno graph and all. I back up my claims.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by giovanni821
In response to my dyno claims i have them posted on benzworld.org. If you google C300 dynoed you will se my post with dyno graph and all. I back up my claims.
To use my favoured expression - those dyno results are about as much use as **** on a bull!

Read timdf & my comments here

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...****+on+a+bull
Old 05-29-2009, 10:33 AM

C250 Sport
Wow...... U r a total idiot

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
To use my favoured expression - those dyno results are about as much use as **** on a bull!

Read timdf & my comments here

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...****+on+a+bull
Then it is evident you dont know **** about cars or dynos. The shop that did the test has a Dyno-mite dyno. You are in Africa so please dont criticize what you have no knowledge of. These are real results at a real dyno from a real C300. If you think its useless than good for you. If you know su much why dont you fork up the $85 and post some dyno results?! Oh I forgot.... You dont even own a C300! My advice to you is keep your smart *** opinions to yourself and when you get real info then go ahead and open it!!
Old 05-29-2009, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

No - I own a C240 & the lady of the home a C350 W204 - Elegance - Palladium Silver.

You are the moron - Read the two threads posted above. You now know more about dyno testing than a Cosworth F1 race engineer & someone who has run many race teams - both bike & car and spent 1000s of hours in some of the finest dyno rooms the world has to offer, costing many many millions of dollars. If you are happy to believe results that are not repeatable & a good 15% out in absolute terms, so be it. Just don't mislead others with your BS.

Don't be so quick to criticise South Africa - While most of my dyno testing has been done internationally with decent dynos such as Schenk. I've worked in Sasol's Sastech dyno facility that has some of the very few altitude compensated dyno rooms in the world. Most F1 players test engines there. You simply have no appreciation for the number of variables involved in accurate dyno testing. I'm not going to repeat myself but check out Tru Taings thread where I list some of them.

I know plenty about cars - I've worked with every major OEM on the planet at one time or another. See my profile

If only one could do a meaningful dyno run for US$85

Knucklehead!

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 05-29-2009 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
Hey Glyn,
What percentage difference could maybe 10-15 degrees F and a couple psi ambient pressure make on a regularly aspirated engine like the 3.0 & 3.5? Just ballpark of course?
Old 05-29-2009, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by C300Sport
Hey Glyn,
What percentage difference could maybe 10-15 degrees F and a couple psi ambient pressure make on a regularly aspirated engine like the 3.0 & 3.5? Just ballpark of course?
C300 - no ballpark - I'm not even going there Give me the engine out of the car in a controlled atmospheric environment - top dyno & measuring gear and I'll have a shot at it. As Tim says even with everything controlled you can chase variances of 10 to 15% in absolute terms with back to back runs - it's all about repeatability. Benz quoted figures are probably at coast at 96% or better air density & the best of many runs on a blueprint engine.

Suffice to say:

IMEP (indicated mean effective pressure) is mainly a product of:

• Compression ratio - limited by knock for a specific design & fuel.
• Air/fuel ratio & it’s control as close to stoichiometric as possible.
• Volumetric efficiency & all that effects it.
• Ignition timing.
• Valve timing and lift.
• Air pressure, air temperature & humidity & their effects on VE & flame speed.

We have not considered frictional MEP (taking frictional losses in the engine into account)

With the above known, the power output is mainly affected by air density
Air Density is mainly a factor of barometric pressure & air temperature.

So loosely speaking if you have a reduction in air density of say 7% - you loose 7% power all things remaining equal & the air fuel ratio being corrected for reduced density. If you don't correct the air/fuel ratio the losses will be higher. You can try some of your own sums & draw your own conclusions.

BTW - even the DIN, SAE & JIS correction tables do not correlate with what you might experience on the road. I have found these to be 3% or more out after correction. These things are hell to extrapolate & this is a very complex subject.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:28 PM

ML430, Mini Cooper S and Porsche 911 Twin Turbo
I'm with Glyn on this one...

plus you also have to factor in transmission losses which alone can vary significantly from car to car (even of the same model / mileage with a manual not auto transmission).

From my direct 1st hand experience even on a top flight engine dyno in an air conditioned test cell with no transmission in the way it's incredibly difficult to get repeatable results let alone consistently accurate.

Thus we used a dyno primarily for engine / ECU mapping purposes and gave up trying to make any definitive measurements

Maybe we should have used an $85 run on a dyno-mite dyno and saved all those millions of dollars

To give giovanni821 the benefit of the doubt I suspect he didn't read the relevant posts before replying.

One last pet peeve - we seem to get all hung up on engine torque and how that's what really sets the acceleration rate. True, but gearing makes a huge difference other wise how could a high revving 'low torque' vehicle out run 'torque monster' ?

Really boils down to torque at the WHEELS and the overall weight.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBUSA
Can someone explain why the 63 evosport pulley is 1,000 and the m3 evosport pulley is 400?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Power Pulley System