C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Ways of improving Handling on W204

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 09:08 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by mat2hu
OVERSTEER/ FISHTAILING!!! i feel that the suspension is excellent and i know my inputs are good, but the tires just can't hang on to the ground and the back just spins wildly out of control.
now I know for sure you need a "replace the driver" mod.

W204 like all other MB is designed with a slight understeer to be safe for most drivers. with the stock Michelins or Contis the understeer is even more evident. I've taken the usual loop around on-ramp at 45+ the car just understeer through the turn with front tire struggling for grip.

if you are experiencing "oversteer" in those situations (even on freeway ramps) then obviously you are the one inducing the problem. i.e. driver error.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C350
actually i did always know how my car was going to react... the car does a very good job telling you that it cannot handle turns about 5 to 10 mph before it lets loose. and believe me, if i wasn't able to control it those times it did give out i might have not been here right now. I don't know why anybody on these forums cannot be honest, THE W204 STOCK HANDLING SUCKS!!! go read stats it got about a .83 skidpad, thats on par with the mustang and other ****ty american handling cars. Whoever disagrees with me, go test drive a BMW and compare. The car should not be understeering or oversteering at these speeds, especially for what the car is supposed to be and supposedly capable of. don't blame me as a driver, im sure professional track drivers could drive this car better than I, but come on, im driving this car ON THE STREETS, not on the tracks. If this car was on a track then some oversteer could be managable, but on the streets. NO! Sorry this car is mostly meant for looks and most importantly SAFETY, that's why my parents even got me the car.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 Mercedes C300 4Matic
the sad thing is my tires aren't even worn out... they still have ALOT of tread. they just DON'T GRIP! like at 50 or 60 is its limits and you feel the tires giving their all to try to stop it. But ya should i go for a 235 255 setup on my 17" rims with PS2s or just OEM 225 245??
How come no one else is complaining? My tires grip more than I would expect it to, even at 22,000km. It seems either your trying to rip it around street corners at 50 miles per hour or you just don't know how to tell if your tires are worn out.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:53 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by micropower99
How come no one else is complaining? My tires grip more than I would expect it to, even at 22,000km. It seems either your trying to rip it around street corners at 50 miles per hour or you just don't know how to tell if your tires are worn out.
it's the first one. I'm done arguing with this kid.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:12 AM

C350
its probably me... its probably not just the car that can't handle but also the things i've done is really stupid. at the end of the day, the car handles better than good for normal driving. But if any1 who reads this is planning to go crazy with the car, this car's limit is not as far as BMW's. But my tires definitely have ALOT of tread left, its just the stunts i've pulled in it are too extreme and i blame the car when i should be blaming myself .
Old 05-27-2009, 12:20 AM

e92
^ i hear you with the C's cornering ability...I own an e92 BMW and I have to say the Bimmer is better at making turns (sharper)
Old 05-27-2009, 02:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 Arctic White C300 Sport 6M
Why is everyone replying so seriously and earnestly to his questions? From the first post, it's obvious it's just some freakin kid. No offense.

Rather than trying to teach him suspension tuning basics, we the older should be saying things like, "Hey there, buddy. Slow down. What the hell you doing going 90 mph around a corner anyway?" Even if he doesn't listen.

I've been there, done that. I've my share of tickets, accidents, and suspensions, because I too was once an "invincible" young driver. But I've grown from those, and have learned to respect the situation: I am piloting a 3500+ pound hunk of metal, hurtling down the street. I'm not the only one at risk here. You can drive plenty fast without frequently spinning out of control -- you just gotta choose the right road and condition.

I hope the guy never has to learn the hard way, as I did, in some ways.

And for the record, the C300 suspension does NOT suck. It does the job. I used to hate it terribly as well. It was the first thing I was gonna change when I got the car. I've always been a Bimmerphile, so this car was just too soft. Too fishing boat-ish. But after a few canyon runs with a friend in his '07 (08?) 335ci, I changed my mind. His car was bouncing up and down around corners and bumps, while my car handled them gracefully, most of them. I was much faster. He did have 19"s to my 18s though.

I've decided that I'm too old to be a racer. I like cars that can handle "real world" roads, with bumps and cracks and pot holes. And yet on the track (where it's safer), I'm SURE I can take this car around a corner pretty fast without succumbing to oversteer. Car's quite capable.

I'm still switching tires when these bald out though. And maybe wheels?

Drive safe. But fast!
Old 05-27-2009, 03:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 Mercedes C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by narky
Why is everyone replying so seriously and earnestly to his questions? From the first post, it's obvious it's just some freakin kid. No offense.

Rather than trying to teach him suspension tuning basics, we the older should be saying things like, "Hey there, buddy. Slow down. What the hell you doing going 90 mph around a corner anyway?" Even if he doesn't listen.

I've been there, done that. I've my share of tickets, accidents, and suspensions, because I too was once an "invincible" young driver. But I've grown from those, and have learned to respect the situation: I am piloting a 3500+ pound hunk of metal, hurtling down the street. I'm not the only one at risk here. You can drive plenty fast without frequently spinning out of control -- you just gotta choose the right road and condition.

I hope the guy never has to learn the hard way, as I did, in some ways.

And for the record, the C300 suspension does NOT suck. It does the job. I used to hate it terribly as well. It was the first thing I was gonna change when I got the car. I've always been a Bimmerphile, so this car was just too soft. Too fishing boat-ish. But after a few canyon runs with a friend in his '07 (08?) 335ci, I changed my mind. His car was bouncing up and down around corners and bumps, while my car handled them gracefully, most of them. I was much faster. He did have 19"s to my 18s though.

I've decided that I'm too old to be a racer. I like cars that can handle "real world" roads, with bumps and cracks and pot holes. And yet on the track (where it's safer), I'm SURE I can take this car around a corner pretty fast without succumbing to oversteer. Car's quite capable.

I'm still switching tires when these bald out though. And maybe wheels?

Drive safe. But fast!
Well said.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

a durr

problem solved
Old 05-27-2009, 05:07 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
All Benz cars understeer at the limit for safety reasons with inexperienced drivers. If yours is oversteering then you are inducing the oversteer.

Fit Michelin PS2's - Don't go up in size - it will probably make the situation worse for your condition (less weight per contact patch)

Take an advanced driving course.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:03 PM
Almost a Member!

C350
i think you should get 18-19" rims with sport tires and that should help out a bit on handling. 17" isnt much for eating the ground, its more of a smoother ride because it uses comfy tires. and the rims isnt wide enough.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
The rims are more than wide enough to accommodate a decent tyre size. Wider is not always better as any race team will tell you, as will Michelin.

Tyre adhesion depends on a few things. Vertical downforce (weight of car), over area of contact patch - tyre compound - abrasiveness of the surface aggregate.

Many on these forums think that wider is always better - it is not! If you don't have enough downforce for the size of contact patch you will compromise grip. Ask any competent tyre manufacturer if you wish to argue. Ever wondered why racing Honda/Acura saloon cars have wider tyres on the front than the rear - simple - they are heavier in the nose than the tail.

Many fit wider tyres for cosmetic reasons - that's fine. Just don't tell people it was done to improve handling. In fact it can also do bad things for unsprung weight.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 05-27-2009 at 07:24 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:21 PM

C300 sport 4matic
driver mod...

thread closed!
Old 05-28-2009, 02:05 AM

C350
are you allowed to take track courses if you are 17?? or do u have to be like 18 or 21? does any1 know any tracks that actually do this stuff? i really wanna go to like a professional driving school and drive on a track!! the only one i know of is the BMW one and thats in north Jersey
Old 05-28-2009, 02:19 AM

2009 C300, 2009 B200
Originally Posted by FrankW
now I know for sure you need a "replace the driver" mod.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Bob Bondurant School....Firebird Raceway, south of Phoenix...start with teenage defensive driving school....3 day course....both my kids took the course...they also have a track on-site.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:32 PM

09 C350
are you allowed to take track courses if you are 17?? or do u have to be like 18 or 21? does any1 know any tracks that actually do this stuff? i really wanna go to like a professional driving school and drive on a track!! the only one i know of is the BMW one and thats in north Jersey
I'm in the local BMW club and they let other cars on the track if they join the club for 40 dollars. This opens them to the Audi and Porsche track days too. I don't see many MB's there tho but one of our officers for the BMW club takes his C350 there once in a while. It's a perfectly capable track car. Would be better with a manual trans though.