C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Have a new C350, when does this engine & transmission start to loosen up a bit ...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few different ones
Have a new C350, when does this engine & transmission start to loosen up a bit ...

Hello Everyone, I just got a white/black 2009 C350 and the tightness is almost unbearable ... between the transmission (in sport mode) always feeling like it is in a gear too high and the tightness of the new engine it just isn't moving too quickly (or I guess the word might be 'spirited'). It feels like it just doesn't want to rev out ...

Around how many miles until this car loosens up a bit ... I have had many cars with learning transmissions, I am hoping this one learns quickly !!!

I am coming out of a 335i which in sport mode always felt like it was in the right gear and the engine was much quicker to rev up.

I don't recall my wife's GL450 feeling this tight when we first got it ... in fact I remember having to take the foot of the throttle or it would almsot redline.

Thanks for your response !!
Old 05-27-2009, 12:34 PM

Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts
325Ci, 325Cic, C300
It "loosens up" at around 5k miles, more so at 10k miles. Although the feeling you get where the gear seems too high? Yeah, that won't change. I was looking for it too coming from a BMW (and still do as a weekend car), but from what I can tell the MB's are geared differently to make use of the torque. It doen't sound all that sexy anyway in the upper tach range, compared to a straight six at least.

Different cars, different personalities, but both brands a hoot to drive. You'll probably get used to it as I did. Just don't look for that BMW "grunt" - it ain't there. It's smooth as heck though.

Congratulations on the C350.

Paolo
Old 05-27-2009, 12:41 PM

A few different ones
Originally Posted by cvx5832
It "loosens up" at around 5k miles, more so at 10k miles. Although the feeling you get where the gear seems too high? Yeah, that won't change. I was looking for it too coming from a BMW (and still do as a weekend car), but from what I can tell the MB's are geared differently to make use of the torque. It doen't sound all that sexy anyway in the upper tach range, compared to a straight six at least.

Different cars, different personalities, but both brands a hoot to drive. You'll probably get used to it as I did. Just don't look for that BMW "grunt" - it ain't there. It's smooth as heck though.

Congratulations on the C350.

Paolo

Thanks for the response, the strange thing is my wife's GL450 always kicks down pretty quickly when more power is needed and I am not talking about flooring it either.

I can't imagine why a MB sports sedan wouldn't do the same
Old 05-27-2009, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 C300 4Matic
try resetting the transmission... so that it re-learns your driving habits?

Here are the steps:

1. Get in and shut the door
2. Turn key to position 2 (right before the start position) DO NOT START THE CAR
3. Press the gas pedal to the floor... past the kick down point... see why I say DO NOT START THE CAR!??!
4. Hold the pedal there for 15 seconds
5. After 15 seconds while foot still planted, turn the key off but do not remove it
6. Release gas pedal... and get ready to be bored
7. Wait at least 2 minutes while not touching anything in the car, don't open the door even.
8. After the 2 minutes start the car and drive off normally... you should notice a difference in the shift pattern and smoothness.

but ya mine is at about 6000-7000 km and it's starting to feel nice now.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:48 PM

A few different ones
Originally Posted by TB5...
try resetting the transmission... so that it re-learns your driving habits?

Here are the steps:

1. Get in and shut the door
2. Turn key to position 2 (right before the start position) DO NOT START THE CAR
3. Press the gas pedal to the floor... past the kick down point... see why I say DO NOT START THE CAR!??!
4. Hold the pedal there for 15 seconds
5. After 15 seconds while foot still planted, turn the key off but do not remove it
6. Release gas pedal... and get ready to be bored
7. Wait at least 2 minutes while not touching anything in the car, don't open the door even.
8. After the 2 minutes start the car and drive off normally... you should notice a difference in the shift pattern and smoothness.

but ya mine is at about 6000-7000 km and it's starting to feel nice now.
I only have 140 miles ... do you think I need to reset it this early ?

Thanks for the advice ... I will be bookmarking this post !!
Old 05-27-2009, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
2017 E300
when you say past the kickdown...there is no kickdown in this car...or at least not one i can feel