C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Retrofitting COMAND (MM) writeup.

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C204
Amazing job & great writeup.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W204
Vic, I order the parts for the blower, do you aware that there could be a possibility that the fan could be on other side as mine is a RHD. Hence different parts number? Urgent!
Old 06-09-2009, 05:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 267 Likes on 163 Posts
S213
Originally Posted by mrjsw
Vic, I order the parts for the blower, do you aware that there could be a possibility that the fan could be on other side as mine is a RHD. Hence different parts number? Urgent!

Yes they are different.

Blower:

A2048300608 to date 30/09/2008
A2048300808 from date 30/09/2008

And the large air duct is different:
A2048320745
Old 06-10-2009, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
S350 BT 4MATIC
Good write-up Vic. I tried to get my dealer to SCN code the IC so I can get NAV Data to my IC, but they indicated that they could not get permission from Germany. So, sofar I am running without it showing in my IC. The only difference in our two procedures is that even though i bought the 9706 cable, I used the existing wiring harness and added the power harness for the Axial blower to my existing connectors. Cool and I am glad you got it done. Seems like the right-hand drive cars have it a bit easier with regards to the Axial fan install?
Old 06-10-2009, 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S350 BT 4MATIC
Oh,BTW, even though i have a GARMIN Nuvi, I still like the MBZ system because of the extras that you can enable via the ENG menu. I plan to add the back-up carmera and the front and side view cameras for the novelty factor.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:29 PM

W204
Originally Posted by Nuru
Good write-up Vic. I tried to get my dealer to SCN code the IC so I can get NAV Data to my IC, but they indicated that they could not get permission from Germany. So, sofar I am running without it showing in my IC. The only difference in our two procedures is that even though i bought the 9706 cable, I used the existing wiring harness and added the power harness for the Axial blower to my existing connectors. Cool and I am glad you got it done. Seems like the right-hand drive cars have it a bit easier with regards to the Axial fan install?
Cool, can you tell me how you actually add the power harness to the existing wiring harness, it would save me a lot of hassle to pull everything out again. thank in adavnce. My parts is on the way for the RHD.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S213
Originally Posted by Nuru

They do not need permission all they have to do is add code 527 for COMAND without changer and 512 for COMAND with changer, remove Code 523 (Audio 20) and then SCN code the IC.
The same procedure took me about 10 mins.

If it isnt possible to add/remove the code through Xentry they could add it through the VeDoc system and then SCN code with Xentry.

Last edited by vic viper; 06-11-2009 at 12:48 AM.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:57 AM

W204
Originally Posted by vic viper
They do not need permission all they have to do is add code 527 for COMAND without changer and 512 for COMAND with changer, remove Code 523 (Audio 20) and then SCN code the IC.

If it isnt possible to add/remove the code through Xentry they could add it through the VeDoc system and then SCN code with Xentry.
why my dealer charge me 1 hour and half labour to SCN code mine??
Interesting!
Old 06-11-2009, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S350 BT 4MATIC

Thanks Vic, I was wondering about that reason they provided. I will try to get them to do it again.

Last edited by Nuru; 06-11-2009 at 09:45 AM.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S350 BT 4MATIC
Originally Posted by mrjsw
Cool, can you tell me how you actually add the power harness to the existing wiring harness, it would save me a lot of hassle to pull everything out again. thank in adavnce. My parts is on the way for the RHD.
You need to purchase the 9706 retrofit harness and remove the axial blower power harness from the retrofit harness. It does not require any cutting but removal of the felt tape that binds it.

Then disassemble the connector and remove the power wires (noting what slots the connectors are located) and leave the CAN bus wires as you can use your existing ones.

Remove your main combo connector (40 pin main connector) from the back of unit,
Find the connector within your main Combo Connector and temporarily remove it. It should be the same connector as the one on your retrofit harness, except it has empty slots. disassemble it and insert the power harness cables in the correct slots, and reassemble. Reinstall in the combo connector.

You will also need to rewire the monitor power cable if you plan to use the 7" monitor.

That is explained in this thread:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audi...4-c-class.html

Keep reading as it is not in the first message than mentions it and has a diagram, the diagram has an error, which is discussed and the correction is contained in a subsequent message.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails Retrofitting COMAND (MM) writeup.-axial-blower-power-cable.jpg  
Old 06-11-2009, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
You are the expert but are you sure there are no "built in restrictions" for specific regions? SDS would connect to the central vehicle documentation system (what was it exactly?) and the system would check that the codes are allowed for this car. I have no experience about the US market but in addition to checking that the codes are realistic for the model in question, it could put restrictions that MBUSA has requested (to support their car sales or options sales).

Would be nice if someone could see in person how the system behaves in a US workshop (I don't mean any of those developer mode systems but the standard workshop set-up).
Old 06-11-2009, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S213
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
You are the expert but are you sure there are no "built in restrictions" for specific regions? SDS would connect to the central vehicle documentation system (what was it exactly?) and the system would check that the codes are allowed for this car. I have no experience about the US market but in addition to checking that the codes are realistic for the model in question, it could put restrictions that MBUSA has requested (to support their car sales or options sales).

Would be nice if someone could see in person how the system behaves in a US workshop (I don't mean any of those developer mode systems but the standard workshop set-up).

I am not aware of any possible US-limitations, but overe here the only limitations are AMG vehicles, do not know why but thats what WIS says.

I initially had problems inserting the code 512 through SDS, but managed to do it without problems in the VeDoc system, I then performed the SCN coding on the IC fast and without problems.

If the Comand retrofit is commercially available on the US market I do not believe that it would be impossible to version code the system into US vehicles.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 C300 4Matic
wish i had the $$ to do this too...

damn... that's the one thing i wish i got with the car... but i wasn't willing to wait 2 months... damn tho that is lookin proper.

everything works well?? GPS? H K AUDIO? RADIO? TRACK NAMES?

and what else does this system have as opposed to that little screen i have.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S213
Originally Posted by TB5...
wish i had the $$ to do this too...

damn... that's the one thing i wish i got with the car... but i wasn't willing to wait 2 months... damn tho that is lookin proper.

everything works well?? GPS? H K AUDIO? RADIO? TRACK NAMES?

and what else does this system have as opposed to that little screen i have.

Everything exept h/k audio works as if the option was factory fitted,
h/k sound system is a pretty extensive and pricey retrofit.
In addition to Audio 20, the COMAND has:

DVD-changer
40gb harddrive with 6gb available for MP3.s
Voice control
Memory card option
DVD and harddrive based navigation.
7" flip up screen
Old 06-11-2009, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C300 4Matic
wow... so movies can be played? how about video game consoles... any inputs for these? :\
Old 06-11-2009, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S213
There is a aux video input in the COMAND HU, but I do not know how to use it, the guys at mid city engineering seems to know a great deal about this, hooking up a video game console should be a breeze for them
Old 06-11-2009, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
I am not aware of any possible US-limitations, but overe here the only limitations are AMG vehicles, do not know why but thats what WIS says.

I initially had problems inserting the code 512 through SDS, but managed to do it without problems in the VeDoc system, I then performed the SCN coding on the IC fast and without problems.

If the Comand retrofit is commercially available on the US market I do not believe that it would be impossible to version code the system into US vehicles.
Whether it was a dealer not willing to perform a retrofit or MBUSA placing restrictions, would you be able to change the necessary data from VeDoc for a US car?

Next time the owner would ask the car coded, things like the Navi menu at the instrument cluster would appear automatically. One would only have to be able to convince a workshop to run SCN coding to the relevant control unit.

By the way, I'm not sure if it is intentional but there appears to be a training program on VeDoc available for the public.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S213
Actually do not know if VeDoc recognizes possible limitations when entering codes, I have never run into problems like that, yet.
SDS seems to be a lot more strict in this matter, I often get the dialogue: "Equipment code not available for this VIN" but after talking to headquarters they say its ok and I add the code in VeDoc without any problems.

I really hope that the VeDoc available fo the public doesnt go "live" because if it do there could be serious problems.
Fortunately all changes and settings by any user are logged and stored, even at individual VIN.s so it should be easy for Daimler to shut down any user that isnt authorized.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:58 PM

C350
Wow, that is a lot of work, good job. I would just pay for it though :P
Old 06-11-2009, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C300 4Matic
im sure he did pay for it.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:37 PM

C230 2009 , E320 1996, C230 Coupe 2002
Wow great job, something I won't even try to attempt but amazing!

Just a quick question though, the reason why you screen folds down is because you have a new model right? my cover doesn't automatically close when I shut my car off, and I assume yours did when it was stock right? If you did install something to make the auto close and shut please let me know and if its easy or not!
Old 06-11-2009, 06:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S350 BT 4MATIC
Originally Posted by aranu
Wow great job, something I won't even try to attempt but amazing!

Just a quick question though, the reason why you screen folds down is because you have a new model right? my cover doesn't automatically close when I shut my car off, and I assume yours did when it was stock right? If you did install something to make the auto close and shut please let me know and if its easy or not!
You can set it so it does not go up and down wit the key. I just pressed the switch on the central vent to close and it stays closed until I hit the button on top of the unit.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C350
Very well done! this retrofit may be cheaper than the MM package that includes the command, but with the MM package you also get the upgraded audio, which i absolutely love!
Old 06-11-2009, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S350 BT 4MATIC
Originally Posted by TB5...
im sure he did pay for it.
If I would have been able to get the Axial fan installed, I would have been under $1800 USD, I ended up spending ~$2200 USD.

It was fun to get it going and it does operate as it is supposed to.

however, yes, if I could have gotten it already on the car, I would have - timing can help you and sometimes it does not work for you.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:07 PM

W204
Everything exept h/k audio works as if the option was factory fitted,
h/k sound system is a pretty extensive and pricey retrofit.
In addition to Audio 20, the COMAND has:

DVD-changer
40gb harddrive with 6gb available for MP3.s
Voice control
Memory card option
DVD and harddrive based navigation.
7" flip up screen
I have a question on Voice control in relation to navigation. Bascially when i try the voice comand in the navi menu it always starts with a statements "Whole word entry not possible, please spell the town", to me it is always not possible to allow me say the town?. This is australia maps i am referring to.

Cheers

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Retrofitting COMAND (MM) writeup.