Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > C-Class (W204)
front door h/k speaker retrofit (how to) >

front door h/k speaker retrofit (how to)

Notices
C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI
Old 06-09-2015, 02:02 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

front door h/k speaker retrofit (how to)

 
Old 08-02-2009, 11:22 AM
  #51  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
vic viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sweden
Posts: 3,101
Liked 201 Times in 131 Posts
S213
All markets have their own "entry level" model with no optional extras, in Germany you can order a 204 without any stereo what so ever with just a cover where the 5" display and HU is located.
However I do not think the US market have any model that doesnt have tweeters, I bet they have used them for another car like yo said.
vic viper is offline  
Old 08-02-2009, 11:31 AM
  #52  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Sincity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vegas and Vancouver, BC
Posts: 5,945
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
.
Vic, how come you just didn't roll the window back up just in case there was an accident when drilling out the rivets?
Sincity is offline  
Old 08-02-2009, 12:01 PM
  #53  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 10
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2008 C300
Originally Posted by SuperDavid View Post
TOO EXPENSIVE, if you like better price go to:

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...89&catalogid=0

Tweeters A2128201002 $ 40.00 each 2 - $37.05
Front A2048202102 $160.00 each 2 - $148.20
Rear A2048203002 $200.00 each 2 - $187.20
Blind Rivets A0009910037 $ .50 each 12 -$0.31
H/K Emblem A4637230060 $ 8.00 Each 4 -$ 6.63 YOU NEED ONLY 2 (for the front door)

SuperDave,

How certain are you that the above are actually H/K? I don't see anything at that web site that indicates this.
Whatsamatteru is offline  
Old 08-02-2009, 03:38 PM
  #54  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
vic viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sweden
Posts: 3,101
Liked 201 Times in 131 Posts
S213
Originally Posted by Sincity View Post
Vic, how come you just didn't roll the window back up just in case there was an accident when drilling out the rivets?

You need to wind down the window to release the door frame covering, I then unhooked the door panel wich contains the window buttons, I was lazy and played it safe with the drilling instead of connecting the panel again.
vic viper is offline  
Old 08-03-2009, 10:21 AM
  #55  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: PR
Posts: 110
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
C350 2008
Originally Posted by Whatsamatteru View Post
SuperDave,

How certain are you that the above are actually H/K? I don't see anything at that web site that indicates this.

All the p/n are from H/K equipment, go to EPC with the VIN # of one car with MM package and you can see same p/n, and VIC show these p/n before.
SuperDavid is offline  
Old 08-04-2009, 02:45 PM
  #56  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
C300Sport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 2,598
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
Great job Vic! Does HK make a Co-Axial application to fit the door? Seems like it would put out a much fuller sound than the woofer/tweeter combo.
C300Sport is offline  
Old 08-04-2009, 02:50 PM
  #57  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
vic viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sweden
Posts: 3,101
Liked 201 Times in 131 Posts
S213
Personally I prefer a two stage system over a coaxial setup, but the car is equipped both ways, the rear doors houses coaxial speakers.
vic viper is offline  
Old 08-09-2009, 10:43 AM
  #58  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Nuru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,886
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
S350 BT 4MATIC
Good Job Vic, and very good instructions; Yes those backs look kinda complicated - might be easier to switch out the doors with a another car! LOL!

Last edited by Nuru; 08-09-2009 at 11:06 AM.
Nuru is offline  
Old 08-09-2009, 11:56 AM
  #59  
Super Member
 
alexlev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: br00klynnn.
Posts: 779
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
C204
I am surprised I never noticed this thread up until now . .

Definitely a great writeup and a worthy upgrade
alexlev is offline  
Old 08-16-2009, 02:33 AM
  #60  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SLK 350
H/K speaker rattle passenger door

I have an '05 SLK 350 with the H/K system, and I've noticed a rattle while playing some music, especially low frequency, that sounds like the speaker is busted (you know the rattle or vibration I'm talking about). However, I don't play the music very loud, and it seems to be getting worse. Question: what would you recommend to try to determine the cause, or do you have any ideas what could be causing it? I'm hoping the speaker cone isn't cracked, but what else could it be? Thanks in advance...
grizzlyak is offline  
Old 08-25-2009, 10:21 PM
  #61  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NA
Originally Posted by vic viper View Post
Yes the 204 sound system utilizes a separate amplifier, the S204 also houses a rear subwoofer located behind the left trunk panel.
Hi Vic, any idea what is the spec of the stock amplifier that came with the car?

I'm hunting for a new car and my main concern in audio. My current car has the following stuff and I don't know how I'm going to fit that into the W204. Looks like I'll have to forgo the Alpine W202E if I can't find a aftermarket HU bracket for this ride.

Alpine IVA-W202E | Alpine PXA-H701 | Seas Lotus Reference RT25F/RW165 (6.5") | JL Audio 12w3v2-D4 (12" sub)| Rockford Fosgate T600-4 and P3001 (amps)
dunnounme is offline  
Old 10-18-2009, 01:15 PM
  #62  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Buckinghamshire, UK
Posts: 7
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
C320 CDI Sport
All - I've been lurking on these forums for some time and I am especially interested in this thread as I have just purchased a late 08 W204 320 cdi with COMAND. I traded in a Lexus IS220 SE-L with MM option - which includes Mark Levinson 5.1 surround sound - so I have downgraded somewhat in terms of audio (upgraded in terms of BHP though!)...

So - I am looking at at least upgrading to the HK speakers, and also into the possibiity of retrofitting the LOGIC7 amp. A few questions and comments -

Cost for just speakers in the UK is not too bad for a start (we are used to high prices here...)
LOUDSPEAKER 2 of A2128201002 £18.86 £37.72
LOUDSPEAKER 2 of A2048202102 £75.32 £150.64
LOUDSPEAKER 2 of A2048203002 £94.30 £188.60
RIVET 2 of A0009910037 £0.21 £2.52
PLATE 2 of A4637230060 £3.47 £13.88
Subtotal: £393.36

Anyone have any comments on how possible it is to retrofit the upgraded amp (forgetting about the bigger guage speaker cables in stock HK)?

Also - regards rear speakers - I know it sounds a bit harsh but maybe it's possible to force out the old speakers by prying them away (essentially bursting off the ends of the pop rivets) and then going with the adhiesive foam option on the HK's, thus saving a load of labour and headaches in virtually dismantling the rear door?

comments welcome

evilweasel
evilweasel is offline  
Old 10-18-2009, 02:37 PM
  #63  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
rb23lb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,900
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
Originally Posted by louiet3 View Post
Look for Joe:

Tweeters A2128201002 $ 40.00 each 2
Front A2048202102 $160.00 each 2
Rear A2048203002 $200.00 each 2
Blind Rivets A0009910037 $ .50 each 12
H/K Emblem A4637230060 $ 8.00 Each 4


Their service department also quoted $120 per door to replace the speakers. I'm still waiting for a quote from an independent mercedes shop in Antioch,CA.

Luis
cheaper from getmercedesparts.com
rb23lb is offline  
Old 10-19-2009, 09:57 AM
  #64  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Derspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,423
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
IS there a tweeter DIY? And, how is the trim around the window frame removed? In the first pic it is the piece on the ground propped up against the door.
Derspeed is offline  
Old 10-19-2009, 10:51 AM
  #65  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
vic viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sweden
Posts: 3,101
Liked 201 Times in 131 Posts
S213
@evilweasel, euro spec cars rarely have MOST installed, the 810 sound system rquires the MOST harness wich is a closed optical loop installed in the car, of course anythin is possbible, but a complete sound system retrofit isnt anything that comes cheap nor easy.

@derspeed, yes I made a tweeter diy, the window fram trim is just clamped into the frame and comes off pretty easy.
vic viper is offline  
Old 10-19-2009, 04:55 PM
  #66  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Buckinghamshire, UK
Posts: 7
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
C320 CDI Sport
Vic - thanks... sounds like a complex job then. How can I easily identify whether I have MOST installed? This may be the deal breaker for me and I'll settle for just the speakers, although I do have experience of working with complex fiber optic comms systems, so you never know..

Out of interest where does the HK amp live in an equipped car, and is the COMAND HU the same hardware in both cases? If the hardware is the same, can the HU be reconfigured to suit?
evilweasel is offline  
Old 10-20-2009, 08:26 PM
  #67  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 95
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
c220 cdi sport
Originally Posted by evilweasel View Post
Vic - thanks... sounds like a complex job then. How can I easily identify whether I have MOST installed? This may be the deal breaker for me and I'll settle for just the speakers, although I do have experience of working with complex fiber optic comms systems, so you never know..

Out of interest where does the HK amp live in an equipped car, and is the COMAND HU the same hardware in both cases? If the hardware is the same, can the HU be reconfigured to suit?
Hi there,

I think it's in the boot, on the side. Accessed through side medical kit storage compartment. I'll take a look tommorrow and take a photo of it..
Mr Purple is offline  
Old 10-20-2009, 08:29 PM
  #68  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 95
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
c220 cdi sport
Originally Posted by evilweasel View Post
Also - regards rear speakers - I know it sounds a bit harsh but maybe it's possible to force out the old speakers by prying them away (essentially bursting off the ends of the pop rivets) and then going with the adhiesive foam option on the HK's, thus saving a load of labour and headaches in virtually dismantling the rear door?

comments welcome

evilweasel
A thought. when i had my rear and side windows tinted, the guy took out the windows by dismantling the door panels. Also the parcel shelf was completely accessible when the rear windscreen was removed...

...so you may be able to pay your local tinted window specialist to do the dismantling for you...must be quicker and cheaper??!
Mr Purple is offline  
Old 10-20-2009, 11:42 PM
  #69  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Derspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,423
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
Originally Posted by vic viper View Post
@evilweasel, euro spec cars rarely have MOST installed, the 810 sound system rquires the MOST harness wich is a closed optical loop installed in the car, of course anythin is possbible, but a complete sound system retrofit isnt anything that comes cheap nor easy.

@derspeed, yes I made a tweeter diy, the window fram trim is just clamped into the frame and comes off pretty easy.

Thanks.
Derspeed is offline  
Old 10-26-2009, 05:21 PM
  #70  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ayrshire, SCOTLAND
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
C Class 220cdi Sport Estate
Hey I like to easy and informative info you have provided

Your car is almost identical in looks to mine.

Unfortunately I never took the HK option or the Xenon headlights..... both are sadly missed. My previous Audi had Xenon h/lamps and the Bose sound upgrade, made all the difference on long journeys.

I do have the MMI upgrade which the dealer chucked in at the last minute to encourage me to buy.

Where did you get the HK speakers, are they all you wished for or is there something better out there you'd fit?

What about the Xenon option... do you know of any reasonably priced aftermarket upgrades?
Goldie1966 is offline  
Old 10-29-2009, 07:43 AM
  #71  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 95
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
c220 cdi sport
Originally Posted by Mr Purple View Post
Hi there,

I think it's in the boot, on the side. Accessed through side medical kit storage compartment. I'll take a look tommorrow and take a photo of it..
Sorry, best photo i could take with camera phone..
Attached Thumbnails front door h/k speaker retrofit (how to)-hk.jpg  
Mr Purple is offline  
Old 11-05-2009, 06:48 PM
  #72  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 588
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
08 c350
just curious: what are the dimensions of the speakers if i wanted to retrofit a different type of speaker for better quality or bass? just curious.
kevinwithdabenz is offline  
Old 11-09-2009, 06:07 PM
  #73  
Junior Member
 
w204maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 62
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
c200 kompressor
Originally Posted by evilweasel View Post
All - I've been lurking on these forums for some time and I am especially interested in this thread as I have just purchased a late 08 W204 320 cdi with COMAND. I traded in a Lexus IS220 SE-L with MM option - which includes Mark Levinson 5.1 surround sound - so I have downgraded somewhat in terms of audio (upgraded in terms of BHP though!)...

So - I am looking at at least upgrading to the HK speakers, and also into the possibiity of retrofitting the LOGIC7 amp. A few questions and comments -

Cost for just speakers in the UK is not too bad for a start (we are used to high prices here...)
LOUDSPEAKER 2 of A2128201002 £18.86 £37.72
LOUDSPEAKER 2 of A2048202102 £75.32 £150.64
LOUDSPEAKER 2 of A2048203002 £94.30 £188.60
RIVET 2 of A0009910037 £0.21 £2.52
PLATE 2 of A4637230060 £3.47 £13.88
Subtotal: £393.36

Anyone have any comments on how possible it is to retrofit the upgraded amp (forgetting about the bigger guage speaker cables in stock HK)?

Also - regards rear speakers - I know it sounds a bit harsh but maybe it's possible to force out the old speakers by prying them away (essentially bursting off the ends of the pop rivets) and then going with the adhiesive foam option on the HK's, thus saving a load of labour and headaches in virtually dismantling the rear door?

comments welcome

evilweasel
these are the part numbers that required?
what about tweeters?
w204maniac is offline  
Old 11-09-2009, 07:51 PM
  #74  
Senior Member
 
louiet3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Brentwood,CA
Posts: 282
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
2009 C300 Sport Palladium Silver & 2012 GLK350 4matic Black
Tweeters A2128201002
louiet3 is offline  
Old 11-11-2009, 01:24 PM
  #75  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NoVA
Posts: 155
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
'09 C63 AMG
vic, pm'd you a few questions. lmk if you have answers, thanks.
dockt is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: front door h/k speaker retrofit (how to)


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: