C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Body shop wants to use PPG Brand Paint? Is it same quality as Factory paint?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
My local Australian MB recommended panel shop checks the paint code on the sticker on the door pillar , dials it into his computer & will paint the car to the specifications of the code .
If the clear coat is ceramic paint he will apply that paint. The insurance company guarantees "the quality of materials & workmanship for the life of the vehicle."
Old 09-04-2009, 01:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
Cool

Originally Posted by RLE
Look, it is the legal responsibility of the other party to make the damaged car's owner whole again. Which means putting him back where he was before the damage. And that means using the correct parts and materials.

When shops buy materials, they put what they don't use on the shelf for the next job.

Stop making up all these "what-if" scenarios because they serve no purpose.

And, I haven't heard what MBUSA says about the correct paint.
I called MBUSA with the 1800 number in the sun visor the other day and spoke to one of their product technicians and asked about what paint to use for my exact model... He first said any Glasurit system should be fine.... I then said they are using PPG enviro system and he said that should be fine as long as they use the correct code.

That was all he said, but i felt assured by the tone in his voice that PPG should do the job and i wont be able to tell the difference...
Old 09-04-2009, 01:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
Originally Posted by giovapal
+1 I agree 100%. It seens he is a little bit too ****.
i agree. its in there and gettin done and i just hope it matches and thats it.... fu*k it i just want my car back to normal and want to be able to drive it again without worrying about my scarred tail
Old 09-04-2009, 01:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 01S408C300
Just to state again I own a Shop In New York and I am a direct repair for most major insurance companies so I happen to know Little about the subject...

First off from my understanding he’s not using either insurance carrier’s body shop which means its going to be up to the shop negotiate what they what and how they want fix the car.

When it comes to what there Legal Responsibility is, it what is considered fair and reasonable and to industry expected standards… that’s why companies can use used parts aftermarket parts different paint etc... I’m not saying I agree but this is the way it is

There not "what if" statements and the purpose they serve was answering his question both ways depending if the clear was available for waterborne or not, he can call PPG and check on that.

And if you read the post, if a customer asks for a certain product that we don’t use in the shop they can be billed and given the left over if I don’t use it in my shop in doesn’t go on my shelf

Also at this point his questions are solely based on the SHOP it’s not the shops legal responsibility to make him whole he has to fight with the insurance company now, he choose the shop. So if it’s not the insurance shop he really can’t go into a shop he chooses and make demands. If he wants want a Nano particle clear he needs to go to a shop that already uses it, not go into a shop and demand they do so.
thanks man, i appreciate your insider knowledge... what u say makes sense... i took it here cus the insurance company's shop really skeezed me out and they didnt look like they even repaired any car worth over 15 grand
Old 11-01-2009, 05:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB C220 Sport W204, 18" AMGs, Grey lthr, xenons, p'ktronic, HKardon, Comand nav.
Hi all,

1. The paint used in refinishing is not the same as OEM, although similar.
2. Daimler (M-B) uses PPG Ceramiclear OEM clearcoat.
3. All approved refinish paint suppliers have a Daimler approved solution for ceramiclear (nanoclear).
4. Approved Daimler paint brands are: Glasurit; PPG, R-M, Spies Hecker and Standox. Sikkens is NOT approved.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Insist on waterbased base coat & nano clear from Glasurit or Spies. What the plants use. Mainly Glasurit.

Your paint will then age in similar fashion to OE with no visible fading of the colour match.

MBSA insist on the Glasurit system for all patch repairing.

If you have a South African sourced 204 - use Glasurit - That's whats on it.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 11-01-2009 at 06:30 AM.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Insist on waterbased base coat & nano clear from Glasurit or Spies. What the plants use. Mainly Glasurit.

Your paint will then age in similar fashion to OE with no visible fading of the colour match.

MBSA insist on the Glasurit system for all patch repairing.

If you have a South African sourced 204 - use Glasurit - That's whats on it.
they used ppg water based

hope it lasts and doesnt fade faster...
Old 11-03-2009, 06:31 AM
Super Moderator

I've been a little half asleep. Your car is white - don't worry - you will be fine. I know white is not one colour but the chances of fade out are close to zero. Greater chance of yellowing with time. The water based paints don't yellow so you are good to go.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:02 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
15 MB Sprinter, 14 MB S550, 08 Smart Fortwo, 04 Dodge Sprinter, 87 MB 190E 2.3-16
PPG DC4010 is not nano technology scratch resistant clear.

To be specific, PPG is now OEM for all CeramiClear finished vehicles (C on paint code) since 2003. For refinish it specifically is PPG Global Line D8126 "CeramiClear" clearcoat. "Cerimiclear" is a PPG trademark. All others specifiy nano technology. You can even do a Google search on PPG CeramiClear and it's joint development with Mercedes Benz.

I am a hobbyist Mercedes Benz restorer since the 80s and have always followed Mercedes Benz paint trends as I go nuts if OEM materials are not used (it's a sickness). Back then and through 2003 it has been BASF (Glasurit) or Herberts (Spies Hecker or Standox) acquired by Dupont.

I was using Spies Hecker's system through 2003 on all my restores but have switched over to PPG Global Line system since 2004 especially PPG CeramiClear. Honestly I prefer PPG's nano technology clear and have tried Spies Hecker's and Glasurit's nano clear versions numerous times to compare.

Out of all, most expensive price wise is Spies Hecker, then Standox, then Glasurit, then PPG.

Between PPG and the others, scratch resistance is of two different technologies. PPG is scratch resistant through its hardness. The are two are through its softness by self healing (supposively melts togethers).

In regards to finish you can't tell if the refinisher did a good job in matching color and texture (orange peel).

My preference in brand if it was still OEM is Spies Hecker as they make the simplist system is terms of selection, mixing, and use.

Regardless they are all good but if you want OEM and your vehicle is CeramiClear based go with PPG Global Line and specify PPG D8126 for clearcoat.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf

Last edited by josephpampliega; 11-29-2009 at 12:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AAY (03-25-2021)
Old 11-29-2009, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

Let me assure you that SA built cars have Glasurit paint on them. BTW - MBSA make no reference to Ceramiclear - They simply advertise nanoclear technology.

Agree with you on Spies Hecker. Did my Jag with it. Great finish.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 11-29-2009 at 07:09 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
\
Originally Posted by josephpampliega
Spoke