C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Is the C300 really a rebadged Chrysler?

Old 09-07-2009, 02:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 Carrara White Metallic Porsche Cayman
Yeah that jeep is gonna be effin SICK. It's basically a Benz..I'd forgotten all about it.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by C300Kid
Yeah that jeep is gonna be effin SICK. It's basically a Benz..I'd forgotten all about it.
No...just the platform is shared. Otherwise, its a Jeep...powertrain, body, interior, electronics, etc. It should be quite HEALTHY!!!

Last edited by Sportstick; 09-07-2009 at 09:36 AM.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:20 AM

W203-4M W163
Originally Posted by cvx5832
I agree. I looked at the Lexus IS recently to (possibly) replace my or my wife's Bimmer. I checked out the off-lease units, mostly '06. At around 50k miles, same as my 2003 325Ci, those things had more creaks and aesthetic wear than my car which was twice the age.

I encourage anyone with free time to look at some off-lease units from Lexus. You'll see what I'm talking about.

Paolo
When I was hunting for an SUV for my wife, I was shocked at the Lexus and Acura models--creaky, wobbly, trim issues, and these were not high mileage vehicles (I drove 4-5, from 60K to 90-K miles on them). Very disappointing. I hadn't considered the MLs because of the problems with the early models, but I found one (2000 ML320) and the difference was stunning. Tight as a drum, like a new car. It's now almost 10 years old with 100K, and it is still like a new car (except for some chips and scratches of course).
And it's been super reliable.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Sportstick
No...just the platform is shared. Otherwise, its a Jeep...powertrain, body, interior, electronics, etc. It should be quite HEALTHY!!!
Are you sure about that? For some reason I think it shares more with the ML than Mercedes would like to admit. It even shares minor details like headrests with the ML.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C-300, XC70, Wrangler
mine says daimlerchrysler and I have an '09

EDIT: I was wrong..just daimler.
FWIW, my '08 says daimlerchrysler. Checked it today.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
The vehicle certification label must represent the manufacturer of record as of the date of manufacture. This becomes a matter of timing of the legal dissolution of the DaimlerChrysler company (early August, 2007) versus your build date.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Are you sure about that? For some reason I think it shares more with the ML than Mercedes would like to admit. It even shares minor details like headrests with the ML.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/.../photo_01.html

So far they are only owning up to lending them the specs for the frame, but who knows, all car companys share info. From the looks though, it appears the Jeep's exterior looks more like a BMW X5 than a ML, the interior doesn't look like anything.

And as a reply to the "body man" mentioning one time use parts, hell yes I want one time use parts. Who wants a part thats been bent and trashed, unbent and stuck back on your car? As a safety aspect I would hope all car/insurance company's would insist on new parts being put back on a car thats been wrecked. Maybe thats just me.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:30 PM

C-300, XC70, Wrangler
The vehicle certification label must represent the manufacturer of record as of the date of manufacture. This becomes a matter of timing of the legal dissolution of the DaimlerChrysler company (early August, 2007) versus your build date.
Maybe, probably. My build date is 09/07, so I suspect that a second criteria is that the bin containing the unused labels isn't refilled until it's empty, and by Sept'07 it wasn't yet empty!
Old 09-08-2009, 03:22 AM

2018 GLC 300 4Matic
Originally Posted by chilledbenz

So far they are only owning up to lending them the specs for the frame, but who knows, all car companys share info. From the looks though, it appears the Jeep's exterior looks more like a BMW X5 than a ML, the interior doesn't look like anything.

And as a reply to the "body man" mentioning one time use parts, hell yes I want one time use parts. Who wants a part thats been bent and trashed, unbent and stuck back on your car? As a safety aspect I would hope all car/insurance company's would insist on new parts being put back on a car thats been wrecked. Maybe thats just me.
the IC looks similar to that in the ML/GL
Old 09-08-2009, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by jstaneff
Maybe, probably. My build date is 09/07, so I suspect that a second criteria is that the bin containing the unused labels isn't refilled until it's empty, and by Sept'07 it wasn't yet empty!
That's odd. My build date was August 2007 and it had just Daimler A.G.

Every w204 I've seen so far(checked it out of curiosity because of the separation since July 2007) in the lots and friends who have the car has Daimler A.G.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 E350 - Cabrio; 2017 GLS 450
Just checked mine out of paranoia....
Attached Thumbnails Is the C300 really a rebadged Chrysler?-08c350.jpg  
Old 09-08-2009, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I couldve sworn something on my car said DaimlerChrysler..when I figure it out I'll let yall know..
Old 09-08-2009, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
One more thing about parts. For example, our 3.0 MB gas engine is produced by MB. But, MB, like all other OEs, also outsources many parts. And, a shared platform approach also would lead a manufacturer to consider some other related opportunities. In this case, (new Grand Cherokee and ML), I understand they have commonly sourced a Magna t-case. This doesn't mean Jeep engineers went to Stuttgart and picked "MB parts" off the shelf...they may both utilize a common external source for a variety of good reasons. And, again, the auto trans is a product of a shared sourcing at what used to be a Chrysler plant in Kokomo. I have not seen the head restraints closely, but as seats need to interact with the floorpan in an impact, it is possible that utilizing a shared platform may have prompted another case of shared seat sourcing. However, in each case, the engineers for each OE set their performance specs and require the supplier to comply, regardless of the external cosmetics of the part. Needing to be accountable for that product to NHTSA and civilly is one reason why the cert label has to reflect the manufacturer of record...a car can't be built by a non-existent company just to use up spare labels.
The industry is far more complex than it even appears from the outside. As a hypothetical, the same supplier, or its subsidiary, may be shipping parts to Kia and to Mercedes. Good engineers find the best part for the application and are not deterred if another OE happens to source it as well.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:00 PM

2005 Crossfire SRT-6
Originally Posted by chilledbenz

Believe me when I tell you that I am all FOR replacing parts. I pride myself on fixing cars the way that I would want them repaired(as if they were my own car). The one-time use parts I was referring to are things that are in no way safety related(ex. taped on plastic chrome moldings, taped on door weatherstrips, plastic covers/shields that break on removal........but are undamaged from accident, glued in rear door fixed glass, etc). Most insurance companies don't like it when I work on a car because how I fix the car how the manufacturer wants. I just fixed a S63 that got hit in the right rear corner(not very hard..........but that part of the car is aluminum) and I replaced EVERYTHING according to M-B standards which ran right around $10k. Most hack shops would've repaired the damages, sprayed seam sealer over it and put the bumper back on saying it's good as new for $2,500.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Originally Posted by moparrbust
Believe me when I tell you that I am all FOR replacing parts. I pride myself on fixing cars the way that I would want them repaired(as if they were my own car). The one-time use parts I was referring to are things that are in no way safety related(ex. taped on plastic chrome moldings, taped on door weatherstrips, plastic covers/shields that break on removal........but are undamaged from accident, glued in rear door fixed glass, etc). Most insurance companies don't like it when I work on a car because how I fix the car how the manufacturer wants. I just fixed a S63 that got hit in the right rear corner(not very hard..........but that part of the car is aluminum) and I replaced EVERYTHING according to M-B standards which ran right around $10k. Most hack shops would've repaired the damages, sprayed seam sealer over it and put the bumper back on saying it's good as new for $2,500.
Lol or just stuck the S550 body panels on it. I remember an article about a Audi S8 that Car and Driver nearly totaled and the repair shop ordered the normal Audi A8 parts for it and attempted to put them on instead of the aluminum. Not sure if they were trying to pull a fast one on Car and Driver or not, but it got caught and they had to reorder the parts which if I remember right took nearly six months to come in lol. Aluminum is pricey, so it makes sense if the repairs are costly, the price you pay for a high performance automobile. Nice to hear your out there doing good work and not cutting corners