C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Anybody remove your spare tire to shed some vehicle weight?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 12:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I spend about 20-25 a week for gas too and fill it up exactly to halfway. Right now, it's $20 to get from 1/4 to 1/2. Living in an island, there isn't much long trips and if I need to go on a long drive, I'd fill it up.

On my previous cars, I removed the spare and kept it off because I was just too lazy to haul it back out after Auto-X and track day events. I actually removed the rear seats too but that was probably a bit overkill.

If you don't plan on driving it competitively, I wouldn't bother. I like that peace of mind I can replace a tire if something does happen.*knock on wood*
Old 09-22-2009, 12:38 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
'20 Targa 4 DD, ' 18 Volvo S60 T6
Originally Posted by joshg1001

No use getting my hands all black when I can call someone else to do it for me
My car came with a pair of dainty white cotton gloves in the spare / tool kit - how thoughtful of MB.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
2017 E300
My car came with a pair of dainty white cotton gloves in the spare / tool kit - how thoughtful of MB.
lol! i saw those too, but i also saw a blond hair on it. ewww
Old 09-22-2009, 01:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by rb23lb
i work 5 miles from my house, so it always ends up working out like that, plus i like keepin the car light...

of course if i take a drive after work or am makin moves on the weekend, i go way over $25 which is no issue of course, just a little guideline i like giving myself...

i bought a c class not an s class and i am obviously not rich...

budgets are not a bad thing, even if u have a good amount of cash flow
Originally Posted by JimPap
I don't get it. You bought a $40K car and put yourself on a $25 a week gas budget.
How come did we reach this comment? rb, I bet you make more money than I do and I bought an S-class that here costs at least what an S600 costs in the US. Budget and the correct attitude is the key, I don't find any issues with that at any income level (spend all your money on MB is the correct attitude ).
Old 09-22-2009, 03:56 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Lambos

Originally Posted by alexlev

The only time the spare comes out is when I am racing Lambos
Isn't he the guy that owns that Greek restaurant down the block? Drives a diesel Lada?
Old 09-22-2009, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Originally Posted by rb23lb
I know it is a bad idea to drive without a spare, but i am just curious.... do any of u drive without your spare to save weight in the vehicle? If you have AAA its not really that big of a deal if u get a flat i guess...

i was lining the inside of my spare compartment with sound dampening material today and was just thinkiing of not putting it back in to save about 50 pounds...
sounds like a bit of a contradiction ... how much does all the added sound damping material weigh?

I weighed the spare at 25 lbs, and the related "hold down" hardware at another 5 lbs.

Last edited by kevink2; 09-23-2009 at 04:38 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C204
Originally Posted by RLE
Isn't he the guy that owns that Greek restaurant down the block? Drives a diesel Lada?
You know him too? His lada stands no chance
Old 09-24-2009, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C350 Sport 4M
I've done this before
Old 09-24-2009, 01:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E350
I choose to keep my spare tire in my car.

IMHO, even though I have AAA and there is FREE Mercedes-Benz Roadside Assistance, in my past experiences it can take well over 2 hours for either one (especially the FREE Mercedes-Benz Roadside Assistance) to get to you (especially on busy weekends or holidays). Also, I regard the "fix" they do on your tire on-site as temporary, with no guarantee how long it will hold up (compared to a proper inside-out patch done at a competent tire shop), and would much rather be riding on a 100% hole-less spare than a temporarily "fixed" tire (of which they probably would use the "fix-a-flat" self-inflating foam stuff that will screw up your TPMS anyway). Not only that, but if your tire can't be repaired, they can only tow you one-way within a certain mile radius (which would in turn basically cancel the plans for the rest of your day... AND you'd have to make separate arrangements to get back home if the tire couldn't be replaced same-day).

With a spare tire, you can mount the tire yourself in minutes (or have AAA or the FREE Mercedes-Benz Roadside Assistance do it for you IF they can get to you in a reasonable amount of time), and go about your business for the rest of the day, then drive home. Then at your earliest convenience, you could bring your car into a tire shop or dealership and get a new tire, putting your spare back in your trunk. You wouldn't have to cancel ALL your plans for the rest of the day, nor would you be unexpectedly stuck without your car until your tire is replaced.

And as someone mentioned earlier, while the spare tire adds weight to the vehicle, I believe it also contributes to structural rigidity and becomes a force-absorbing obstacle upon rear impact.