C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Auto Gear switching

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M37S
Auto Gear switching

I know this car w204 has a weird issue with stay in gear too long sometimes when you push it..or it doesnt downshift smooth etc. Did MB have any recall on this or any new download patch for the shifting. I have a auto 7 speed.

Thank you
Old 09-24-2009, 12:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C350
If you have the tranny setting in "S" it will hold the gear for a while, because that's what you need if you are driving aggressively. Put it in "C" and it will upshift right away. I drive in "S" and usually shift to neutral if the tranny is holding a low gear too long, and put it back to drive without giving it any gas after the rpm has dropped. Very easy. But I don't know if this is bad for the car. Anyone know for sure?
Old 09-24-2009, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 MB C300 Sport (Mars Red)
I had the same problem... But there's an easy fix!

If the tranny is holding a high gear for too long and you're in full automatic mode, let off the gas and push the stick to the right once and it will upshift to the higher gear. This keeps it in automatic mode but will take it out of holding the low gear. Weird quirk I found a few weeks ago!
Old 09-24-2009, 12:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
\
Originally Posted by Murray Woo
If you have the tranny setting in "S" it will hold the gear for a while, because that's what you need if you are driving aggressively. Put it in "C" and it will upshift right away. I drive in "S" and usually shift to neutral if the tranny is holding a low gear too long, and put it back to drive without giving it any gas after the rpm has dropped. Very easy. But I don't know if this is bad for the car. Anyone know for sure?
It shouldn't hurt the transmission, but an easier (and faster) way to do this is to just hold the stick to the right and it will upshift. If you hold it to the left it will downshift to the lowest gear. I do this often while driving when I want to pass or hit a cruising speed.

EDIT: This is not the same effect as the single tap as described above me. That will shift up or down 1 gear, but if your in say 3rd gear at 6,000 RPM tapping right will shift to 4 and holding right will shift to 6 or 7.

Last edited by Peabody; 09-24-2009 at 12:59 PM.