C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Powerchip tune

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c350
Powerchip tune

I've been doing ton's of research for the last couple of weeks regarding ecu tunes. I've messaged AZN a few times who gave some very helpfull information. I was originally going to go with a speed innovations tune but have now decided to go the route of a powerchip tune. I've read countless good reviews and seen dyno charts on other vehicles similar in power. I am going to get this done next week in socal debating between a couple of shops depending on price? I also am going to arrange to get a before and after dyno because I believe there is no Dyno charts for our car (c350) anywhere on the internet? Looks like I will be the first to test this tune out with dyno numbers. I feel after all my research this was the best tune for me. Others might disagree and that's ok. Can't wait for the dyno numbers!
Old 10-21-2009, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes C300 Sport, BMW 745Li, VW Mk6 Golf TDI
Try Ed at HMS (Harbor Motorsports) or Serg at Heyvon Motors (right next door). They have access to a Dynojet Dyno for easy before and after.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:55 PM

c350
Thank's again AZN, I checked out HMS's websight and they look like just the people I would want to do this for me. It's been mind boggling trying to find a reputable shop in the Orange County area, there is ton's of shops of wich im sure most being great places. HMS seems to specialize in Mercedes and I also dig the vibe I get from ther sight. looks like I will be giving them a call in the a.m.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:49 AM

C350
yo i REALLY wanna know how this turns out.... keep us posted
Old 10-24-2009, 12:52 PM

c350
So on Thursday I gave Harbor Motorsports a call and spoke with Ed about the powerchip tune for my car. He was very knowledgeable and answered all my questions. I asked him about doing a before and after dyno and talking about the gains to the rear wheels about 10 hp I was'nt sure that I wanted to dyno, I know originaly I was dead set on this but ultimatley decided to pass on the dyno. I know my car inside and out and knew I would feel any difference made by the tune. I also have logged a series of 0-60's with a stopwatch about a dozen and 11 of 12 of those run's were 6.1 seconds, I managed to stay really consistent with all the variables. one run was clocked at 6.2 seconds. I had 1,900 miles on the odo before making the 150 mile trip to HMS. Ed and the staff were friendly, he gave me a tour of the shop, it was impressive. It took about an hour and a half for the tune and then I was back on the highway. As soon as I pulled out of the shop I floored it a little and knew there was something good going on! Oh by the way up until today all my driving has been done in "C" mode even my 0-60's. The pulling power on the highway was definitley noticable, it was'nt mind blowing but it for sure had more pulling power. It also took less efort on all the grades that I encountered. One thing I noticed was the throttle lag did not change much if any. I could not feel any change with kickdown quickness what so ever wich had me kinda bummed because I thought the dreaded throttle lag was supposed to me eliminated. Well putting it in the sport mode changed that. The throttle lag feels almost completely gone. I had some times to do some 0-60's this morning in "S" mode (did 6 runs) and clocked 5.7 seconds 5 times and 5.8 once. I also did 4 runs in "C" mode and clocked all 4 runs at 5.9 seconds. I shed a solid 2 tenths from with the powerchip from my 0-60's. It may not sound like much but it actually is, I believe at these speeds it equates to about 1 car length, meaning if I was dead even racing someone with my 6.1 0-60's I would now be 1 car ahead. I know this is no dyno but it was enough to convince me I got more hp and torque. I have not tried out the top speed limiter as I dont ever plan on going that fast. Overall I am happy with the powerchip, especially now that the throttle lag has been reduced. I'm not sure if it's just the "s" mode though as I have always used the comfort setting. either way in sport mode its a vast improvement compared to the lag in comfort. I hope people can find some of this information usefull, I've come accross some helpfull threads here in this forum and just want to return the favor
Old 10-24-2009, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Glad to hear everything worked out and Ed took good care of you
Old 10-24-2009, 02:36 PM

w204, 11' RR Sport,
What do they charge for the tune??
Old 10-24-2009, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63
Dyno would've said a lot more, S mode vs C is a noticeable driving experience when starting in 1st or 2nd gear. The lag will probably come back after a day or two of traffic driving as well. Congrats on the 60 times.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:04 AM

Acura MDX
What other companies do tunes for the c300/350??
Old 10-25-2009, 01:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
Originally Posted by WHAT'S NEXT?
What do they charge for the tune??
+1

While his is on my mind, I filled up today with a tank of non ethenol gasoline. Seems that my response was better but I don't know if it was just my imagination.

Have you had any experience comparing gas containing ethenol versus gas not containing ethenol?

Last edited by JimPap; 10-25-2009 at 01:27 AM.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:50 AM

\
Ethanol delivers less power by volume than gasoline.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
Originally Posted by sblue
So on Thursday I gave Harbor Motorsports a call and spoke with Ed about the powerchip tune for my car. He was very knowledgeable and answered all my questions. I asked him about doing a before and after dyno and talking about the gains to the rear wheels about 10 hp I was'nt sure that I wanted to dyno, I know originaly I was dead set on this but ultimatley decided to pass on the dyno. I know my car inside and out and knew I would feel any difference made by the tune. I also have logged a series of 0-60's with a stopwatch about a dozen and 11 of 12 of those run's were 6.1 seconds, I managed to stay really consistent with all the variables. one run was clocked at 6.2 seconds. I had 1,900 miles on the odo before making the 150 mile trip to HMS. Ed and the staff were friendly, he gave me a tour of the shop, it was impressive. It took about an hour and a half for the tune and then I was back on the highway. As soon as I pulled out of the shop I floored it a little and knew there was something good going on! Oh by the way up until today all my driving has been done in "C" mode even my 0-60's. The pulling power on the highway was definitley noticable, it was'nt mind blowing but it for sure had more pulling power. It also took less efort on all the grades that I encountered. One thing I noticed was the throttle lag did not change much if any. I could not feel any change with kickdown quickness what so ever wich had me kinda bummed because I thought the dreaded throttle lag was supposed to me eliminated. Well putting it in the sport mode changed that. The throttle lag feels almost completely gone. I had some times to do some 0-60's this morning in "S" mode (did 6 runs) and clocked 5.7 seconds 5 times and 5.8 once. I also did 4 runs in "C" mode and clocked all 4 runs at 5.9 seconds. I shed a solid 2 tenths from with the powerchip from my 0-60's. It may not sound like much but it actually is, I believe at these speeds it equates to about 1 car length, meaning if I was dead even racing someone with my 6.1 0-60's I would now be 1 car ahead. I know this is no dyno but it was enough to convince me I got more hp and torque. I have not tried out the top speed limiter as I dont ever plan on going that fast. Overall I am happy with the powerchip, especially now that the throttle lag has been reduced. I'm not sure if it's just the "s" mode though as I have always used the comfort setting. either way in sport mode its a vast improvement compared to the lag in comfort. I hope people can find some of this information usefull, I've come accross some helpfull threads here in this forum and just want to return the favor
Glad the tune worked out for you...just to make you feel better, the .2 second improvement should give you closer to a 35'-55' lead in the quarter, depending on the trap speed.
Since it sounds like the infamous throttle lag is only affected in S mode, I was curious if anyone knows if the throttle lag on a manual equipped car would be greatly reduced or remain the same like in C mode on the auto cars.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
sblue,

Why were you racing in "C" mode to start with?
Old 10-25-2009, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2015 BMW M235i 6MT
What is the difference between C and S?
The only thing I notice is that S is a more rough ride...
Old 10-25-2009, 10:50 AM

c350
Just to let the people know who are wondering a few things:
I am by no means any kind of racer and do not plan on racing my car. The test runs I made were only meant for data purposes since I did not do a dyno. I needed another way besides the butt dyno to be certain the powerchip was in fact giving me more power and between my butt dyno and runs I would say it has. The test runs were done in a very rural and open area there was no one out but me. My reason for posting my experience was to share what I believe to be valuable information (for some at least) about an ecu tune for our vehicles. I've learned so much from this forum and wanted to return the favor. Lastly I wanted the tune just for my piece of mind that's all. Knowing I have a few more ponies at hand if I ever need to use them.
You can find out more information on powerchips websight wich I believe is powerchip.com ?
Old 10-25-2009, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
Originally Posted by Richard2011
What is the difference between C and S?
The only thing I notice is that S is a more rough ride...
In the 2008, the difference is RPM shift points and that in "S", the auto transmission starts in 1st gear. In "C" the transmission starts in 2nd gear.

Not sure which year model you have but it seems that in some countries, they have something called advanced agility control where it actually does change the ride suspention from softer to harder.

In the promotional information that Mercedes had in 2007 for the release of the 2008, they indicated that there was a system that changed ride characteristics depending on speed and if you were in a curve but it turned out to only be the shocks....which by the way has no way of knowing how fast you're going. They lied....which I'm likely to not forget when it comes time to buy another car.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:45 AM

GLE 450 2021, SLK 350 2013, Honda Civc Type R 2019, Suzuki GSXR 750 2014, Ducati Diavel 2018
Originally Posted by sblue
Just to let the people know who are wondering a few things:
I am by no means any kind of racer and do not plan on racing my car. The test runs I made were only meant for data purposes since I did not do a dyno. I needed another way besides the butt dyno to be certain the powerchip was in fact giving me more power and between my butt dyno and runs I would say it has. The test runs were done in a very rural and open area there was no one out but me. My reason for posting my experience was to share what I believe to be valuable information (for some at least) about an ecu tune for our vehicles. I've learned so much from this forum and wanted to return the favor. Lastly I wanted the tune just for my piece of mind that's all. Knowing I have a few more ponies at hand if I ever need to use them.
You can find out more information on powerchips websight wich I believe is powerchip.com ?
Did you do it in the OC? Hook me up with address, phone number, and quote.

-Kevin
Old 10-26-2009, 09:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08 MB
Originally Posted by pg2373
What other companies do tunes for the c300/350??
MKB, RennTech, and Kleeman to name a few definitely do C350 tunes, I am not sure about C300.

I believe Brabus and Carlsson also provide tunes.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by supacrazykev
Did you do it in the OC? Hook me up with address, phone number, and quote.

-Kevin
HMS (Harbor Motorsports)
13751 Beach Blvd.
Westminster, CA 92683
714-379-7770
www.harbormotorsports.com
Old 10-26-2009, 11:44 AM

w204
Originally Posted by C300Sport
Glad the tune worked out for you...just to make you feel better, the .2 second improvement should give you closer to a 35'-55' lead in the quarter, depending on the trap speed.
Since it sounds like the infamous throttle lag is only affected in S mode, I was curious if anyone knows if the throttle lag on a manual equipped car would be greatly reduced or remain the same like in C mode on the auto cars.
Manual cars can't have lag. its the 7g transmission that is lagging the shifts...the only lag in a manual is the driver.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:48 PM

GLE 450 2021, SLK 350 2013, Honda Civc Type R 2019, Suzuki GSXR 750 2014, Ducati Diavel 2018
Originally Posted by Azn_C300
HMS (Harbor Motorsports)
13751 Beach Blvd.
Westminster, CA 92683
714-379-7770
www.harbormotorsports.com
Thanks, how much do they charge?