C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Clear bra etc.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 sport
Clear bra etc.

I've been searching the forum and the net learning about paint protection. Seems like a lot of the info is dated. What are the current products that work best? Also, if anyone knows a good installer in Southeastern MA. feel free to post up some info.
Not knowing much about it, I opted to pass when the dealership offered me this service. I could always call them and find out what product they use etc. I think they wanted $600 or so.
I know the premier place in CA. is said to be the best, but I'm a right coaster.
Thanks
Old 11-02-2009, 01:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2009 C300 Sport Palladium Silver & 2012 GLK350 4matic Black
Originally Posted by Hoopa70
I've been searching the forum and the net learning about paint protection. Seems like a lot of the info is dated. What are the current products that work best? Also, if anyone knows a good installer in Southeastern MA. feel free to post up some info.
Not knowing much about it, I opted to pass when the dealership offered me this service. I could always call them and find out what product they use etc. I think they wanted $600 or so.
I know the premier place in CA. is said to be the best, but I'm a right coaster.
Thanks
I went with a SF Bay Area shop that installs Xpel. Paid $700 cash for 48 inch hood and fender, full bumper, headlights, fog lights, and side mirrors.

The film is as clear as when it was installed, no discoloration.

You can check out their website www.xpel.com and look for installers near you. Good luck!

Luis
Old 11-02-2009, 08:58 AM

2009 c350 blk on blk
check out this site as many have used these products with great results:

http://www.lamin-x.com/Mercedes-Benz...8-on-s/524.htm
Old 11-02-2009, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

X3 and 2012 C coming soon
I also have X-pel and a few smaller pieces made from new generation 3M material.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:21 PM

C300 sport
thanks for the replies, keep them coming. the lamin-x looks interesting, but I am not the most patient person when doing something like that.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:33 PM

C300 Sport 6MT
Clear Bra/Venture Shield seems to be the recommended one that I've heard recently. I think they're actually owned by 3M now, but before they were, there were big debates regarding 3m vs Clear Bra and the consensus was that 3M faded/yellowed over time. Not sure if that's been corrected or not.
Also, unless you're good at and have experience installing tint, etc. putting PPF on the bumper would be a nightmare. I personally wouldn't even attempt it.

So where's the intro and pics of the new car, Hoopa????
Old 11-03-2009, 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

X3 and 2012 C coming soon
Originally Posted by Doanster
Clear Bra/Venture Shield seems to be the recommended one that I've heard recently. I think they're actually owned by 3M now, but before they were, there were big debates regarding 3m vs Clear Bra and the consensus was that 3M faded/yellowed over time. Not sure if that's been corrected or not.
Also, unless you're good at and have experience installing tint, etc. putting PPF on the bumper would be a nightmare. I personally wouldn't even attempt it.

So where's the intro and pics of the new car, Hoopa????
I have been in close contact with X-pel over the last few years. Here is what I know: X-pel used to use 3M. They then created their own material. Their highest grade material seems to be the most fragile and difficult to work with. Paint protection these days from good companies does not yellow. It all seems to be of similar quality. They should all have a clear coat as well. If your installer says it is not clear coated, walk away.

I do have qite a bit of experince installing clear bra, and I gave up on the W204. I just didn't have the time. My professional installer took 4 hours to complete the bumper and hood.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
2017 E300
ive got premier on my car....a little under $500 for just the full hood. i couldnt afford to do any other part of the car
Old 11-04-2009, 12:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes C300 Sport, BMW 745Li, VW Mk6 Golf TDI
3M and Venture are the top of the line. It's important to know the difference between the two though. 3M has smaller pores than Venture so will not catch as many particles causing shade changes. This typically happens when using yellowish waxes. When using Venture, it's very important to use white carnauba wax, or clear liquid waxes. However, 3M is more prone to natural yellowing over time than Venture, even the newer material. I've seen the before and after over time at Permier on several vehicles. ALL clear bras will never be as clear as uncovered surface and shade shifting will occur given enough exposed time. Also, 3M however does NOT make a piece large enough to cover the entire hood of our 204s. If you want 3M for your hood, you'll have to do half hood, or however long the width of the 3M sheet is available. This pretty much leaves you with Venture if you want to do a full wrap like I did.

Last edited by Azn_C300; 11-04-2009 at 12:35 AM.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:08 PM

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
I've used Premier with much luck. I"m not sure what they use, but it's pretty darn good. www.premiermobilegroup.com