C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Upset Dealer Charge me For broken Tpms Tire Sensor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I own 2008 C-350 2008 E-350 2005 C -230 Kompressor 2006 FORd F-350 6.0
Upset Dealer Charge me For broken Tpms Tire Sensor

Been HEar a noise in the wheel for a while . Took it to service . They dismounted wheel found a crack Tpms sensor. Said since it was found crack they wont replace i was charge $ 280.00 for labor and parts. I kept the broken sensor and i have all documentation. I had tires intallalled few month ago but never had this noise till tthis week. IF they would had broken it at tire shop it would have happen long time ago.Please advise me where can i call to to explain to mercedes why this dealership didnt honor this . My car is under factory warrenty. They told me mercedes would not pay for this part because it was cracked. I belive this is a part falilure not human error.. Anyone know the part price for 2008 C350 sport with 18 rims stock for the sensor.....

Last edited by ATSOBE; 11-21-2009 at 09:15 AM.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:50 AM

1999 210 4matic / 2011 W204 C300 sport
not try to take side , but how can a part that is inside your tire get broken without impact ?
Old 11-21-2009, 02:40 PM

2010 C300
Here's the thing, your car is an '08 so you've had it for at least 2 years. If the TPMS sensor was broken from the beginning, it would have showed up long ago. My guess is that either the tire shop damaged it when they were putting on new tires, or you hit something and cracked the sensor. Either way, not MB's fault. As far as the price of the sensor, I havent got a clue. Tirerack.com has them listed at $56 each plus installation but that doesnt mean much as the dealership will always be more expensive however $280 is robbery...
Old 11-21-2009, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
That's was expensive sensor, the truth is nothing you can do about it, sorry.
Old 11-21-2009, 05:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
Originally Posted by Captain Slow
Here's the thing, your car is an '08 so you've had it for at least 2 years. If the TPMS sensor was broken from the beginning, it would have showed up long ago. My guess is that either the tire shop damaged it when they were putting on new tires, or you hit something and cracked the sensor. Either way, not MB's fault. As far as the price of the sensor, I havent got a clue. Tirerack.com has them listed at $56 each plus installation but that doesnt mean much as the dealership will always be more expensive however $280 is robbery...
i got my replacement sensor for $108 from getmercedesparts.com

i cracked off the valve stem on a curb, DOH!
Old 11-21-2009, 06:39 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
C300, 93tt RX7, 88RX7 Vet, 83RX7
Originally Posted by rb23lb
i got my replacement sensor for $108 from getmercedesparts.com

i cracked off the valve stem on a curb, DOH!
How in hell did you cracked a valve stem on a curb!!! Come one dude get real... The valve stem is not even close to the lip of the rim!!!!!
Old 11-21-2009, 06:40 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
C300, 93tt RX7, 88RX7 Vet, 83RX7
Originally Posted by ATSOBE
Been HEar a noise in the wheel for a while . Took it to service . They dismounted wheel found a crack Tpms sensor. Said since it was found crack they wont replace i was charge $ 280.00 for labor and parts. I kept the broken sensor and i have all documentation. I had tires intallalled few month ago but never had this noise till tthis week. IF they would had broken it at tire shop it would have happen long time ago.Please advise me where can i call to to explain to mercedes why this dealership didnt honor this . My car is under factory warrenty. They told me mercedes would not pay for this part because it was cracked. I belive this is a part falilure not human error.. Anyone know the part price for 2008 C350 sport with 18 rims stock for the sensor.....

Hey what part in Miami do you live?
Old 11-21-2009, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
I'm usually the first person to go off about how much the stealer sucks, but in this case, based on the info given, I have to side with the stealer. Can you post a picture of the cracked TPMS sensor?

The stealer did screw you on the price, but this is to be expected as they always do that to all customers. Once they refuse to replace a part under warranty it is time to go to your independent mechanic (with a few exceptions for some parts).

Last edited by acr2001; 11-21-2009 at 06:47 PM.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
Originally Posted by Frnakito71
How in hell did you cracked a valve stem on a curb!!! Come one dude get real... The valve stem is not even close to the lip of the rim!!!!!
ha dude u think i am lying?? i have the oem amg valve stem caps that make the stem stick out a little longer...

i must have hit the curb at just the right angle, cus afterwards i looked and there was a small scuff right below the valve stem and the valve stem was sheared off half way down
Old 11-21-2009, 08:12 PM

'09 C300 4Matic Sport
My dealer tried to pull the same BS with me.

Rewind to 3 months ago...I had a flat and went to a dealer in NY (where I was living at the time) to replace the tire. Well after replacing they said they had trouble getting the TPMS light to go off. Finally did and I went on my way.

A few weeks ago my TPMS light kept going off...after 2 trips to the dealer I told them about the problem the other dealer had with the TPMS. The service rep. tried telling me if the TPMS was damaged by the other dealer I WOULD BE RESPONSIBLE and would have to pay for it to be replaced. Welllll I didn't take that well and made it known. Needless to say I didn't end up paying for anything lol
Old 11-21-2009, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by NJBNZ
My dealer tried to pull the same BS with me.

Rewind to 3 months ago...I had a flat and went to a dealer in NY (where I was living at the time) to replace the tire. Well after replacing they said they had trouble getting the TPMS light to go off. Finally did and I went on my way.

A few weeks ago my TPMS light kept going off...after 2 trips to the dealer I told them about the problem the other dealer had with the TPMS. The service rep. tried telling me if the TPMS was damaged by the other dealer I WOULD BE RESPONSIBLE and would have to pay for it to be replaced. Welllll I didn't take that well and made it known. Needless to say I didn't end up paying for anything lol
If you went to an MB dealer in NY who damaged the TPMS then the second dealer you went to was totally wrong to try charging you for the damage as far as I'm concerned. Glad you didn't pay for it.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:27 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
TPS not

Originally Posted by ATSOBE
Look. The tire shop damaged the unit. Why haven't you confronted them about it? You have the unit to show them.

It's easy when mounting the tire to clip the sensor as the wheel is rotated on the machine if the person isn't careful. This happened to me when my dealer mounted my dropshipped Tire Rack tires on my purchased 18s before delivery, in fact the sensor was snapped off the valve stem and was loose inside the tire which made that wheel vibrate at speed even though it had been balanced. I heard a muffled bumping at low speed and it took a dealer tech walking alongside the car in the street at 3mph to decide there was something inside the RF tire.

No arguments. They replaced the sensor on their nickel.

Last edited by RLE; 11-22-2009 at 11:09 PM.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:31 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Who pays?

Originally Posted by acr2001
If you went to an MB dealer in NY who damaged the TPMS then the second dealer you went to was totally wrong to try charging you for the damage as far as I'm concerned. Glad you didn't pay for it.
How do you come to that conclusion? The second dealer has no obligation to pay for the first one's carelessness. This is not a warranty issue, obviously.

My guess is that dealer#2 sent the bill to dealer #1.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by RLE
How do you come to that conclusion? The second dealer has no obligation to pay for the first one's carelessness. This is not a warranty issue, obviously.

My guess is that dealer#2 sent the bill to dealer #1.
I agree, dealer #2 should have sent a bill to dealer #1.
But if the OP is no longer within distance of the original dealer I feel like any other authorized MB dealer should be obligated to handle the issue through MBUSA (even if this is not technically the case).

I can understand the counter-argument that each dealer is independently owned, but I feel like MBUSA should be sorting this type of thing out between the dealers.

Last edited by acr2001; 11-22-2009 at 02:15 AM.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
But if the OP is no longer within distance of the original dealer I feel like any other authorized MB dealer should be obligated to handle the issue through MBUSA (even if this is not technically the case).

I can understand the counter-argument that each dealer is independently owned, but I feel like MBUSA should be sorting this type of thing out between the dealers.
I see what you're saying but I doubt if I owned a MB dealership that I'd take the word of another dealership. Its another matter if the car was returned to where it was damaged in the first place but that not the case here.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005

The sensor can fail from a flat tyre too but I assume the second dealer in this case saw from the sensor that it had been broken when the first dealer had removed the flat tyre. This easily happens if they don't take into account the sensor and don't use their tools properly.

The problem for the owner would be to prove which one of the shops broke the sensor, if MBUSA can help sorting it out, that would be good for the owner.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:43 PM

'09 C300 4Matic Sport
Exactly...The dealer I purchased the car (the one that tried to charge me for the broken TPMS) from was 100 miles away from where I was at the time. It's not like I went to some Joe Schmoe garage and had them mess with it. It was an authorized Mercedes dealer and any work done at an authorized MB dealer should be covered under MBUSA.