C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Headunit running aftermarket sound system

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 E63S AMG
Headunit running aftermarket sound system

I just recently got my 2008 C300 4matic. Absolutely love the car except for a few things. One is the sound. I do not have the upgraded sound system.

I've been reading around this forum about some people switching out the speakers. I enjoy good quality music.

I have a 12" sub with amp i'm putting in and also have a JL audio 250w amp for the reg. speakers. I'm looking to put in JL audio C5 series speakers inside.

After speaking with a well established car audio shop by me, he questioned if the headunit will be able to push the aftermarket hardware to its potential. I really don't want to ruin the integrity of the inside, but do want good quality sound.

Has anyone amped their headunit with aftermarket speakers?

If so can u give me your input on how it sounds, Loudness, Clarity in sound and whatever insight you have for me.

Thanks,
Old 12-28-2009, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
E350 Sport/ML350RWD
If you have the JL amp- why would you want the head unit to power your door speakers? I definitely would not recommend the stock head unit to powering the JL C5's. I replaced the stock tweeters with my MB Quart QT25s. It sounds OK but I still miss my amps (especially with the windows down).
Old 12-28-2009, 11:38 PM

2015 E63S AMG
Originally Posted by AkaSigFreak
If you have the JL amp- why would you want the head unit to power your door speakers? I definitely would not recommend the stock head unit to powering the JL C5's. I replaced the stock tweeters with my MB Quart QT25s. It sounds OK but I still miss my amps (especially with the windows down).

sorry if i didn't clarify. I will be using the amp to power the speakers, but the headunit is the original source, so i wasnt' sure how it would sound compared to running an aftermarket HU. (which i don't want to do) So my question was how good is the sound running an aftermarket amp and speakers coming off of the stock HU.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
E350 Sport/ML350RWD
Originally Posted by autockr989
sorry if i didn't clarify. I will be using the amp to power the speakers, but the headunit is the original source, so i wasnt' sure how it would sound compared to running an aftermarket HU. (which i don't want to do) So my question was how good is the sound running an aftermarket amp and speakers coming off of the stock HU.
Sound quality from the oe head unit will be fine. If you prefer- use the JL Cleansweep or similar interface to clean up the signal prior to amplification.
I have been waiting to change out the rest of my speakers and add my sub. I'm jealous!
Old 12-29-2009, 09:28 AM

2015 E63S AMG
Thanks,

I was looking at the cleansweep, but decided to go with the peripheral PCH8. It's cheaper and my installer finds it to be overall a better interface. Just ordered the rest of my system yesterday.

Peripheral PCH8
JL Audio C5-650x (Rears)
JL Audio C5-525 (Fronts)
JL Audio 250w x 4 interior amp
Earthquake 2000w amp with 12" sub

Can't wait to have some good music again.

I'll update with how the install goes with these speakers.