C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

New Daily Wheels Beware Non Standard Offset!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Not sure "noobs" applies, but you are right...I don't know anything about that, and that car looks like it needs suspension repair. Still hoping for explanation as to WHY would anyone do this? Really, please...why?
Old 03-13-2010, 12:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C204
Originally Posted by got_thang?
You noobs don't know anything about hella flush or flush fitment.

HELLA FLUSH?! NO WAY! YOU'RE THE MAN NOW DOG!

Whats up next? A JP Fusa?

In all seriousness, you drive a Mercedes. It's not a Lexus/Toyota, it won't ever pass as VIP. That and hella flush is for the honda boys . . Keep it real.

Originally Posted by Sportstick
Not sure "noobs" applies, but you are right...I don't know anything about that, and that car looks like it needs suspension repair. Still hoping for explanation as to WHY would anyone do this? Really, please...why?
GotThang is the FIRST hella flush, bippu, Mercedes Benz . . Thats why
Old 03-13-2010, 12:17 PM

2008 C350
I've looked at the OP's photo several times and cannot figure out why anyone would want to do that. The tire clearly does not fit the wheel. Please explain?
The bead is seated on the wheel but the lip is reveled.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:19 PM

2008 C350
Originally Posted by alexlev

HELLA FLUSH?! NO WAY! YOU'RE THE MAN NOW DOG!

Whats up next? A JP Fusa?

In all seriousness, you drive a Mercedes. It's not a Lexus/Toyota, it won't ever pass as VIP. That and hella flush is for the honda boys . . Keep it real.

I'm glad went with the vip scene instead of the sporty scene where everyone is rocking amg replica wheels and wanna be quad tip exhaust

How do you expect place at a car show with that?

Last edited by got_thang?; 03-13-2010 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by alexlev

Sorry...can't make any sense of that. Could someone seriously simply explain why this is done? I'm not making fun of it or calling it names...I just can't figure out why this is desirable to anyone. But, keep in mind, I also couldn't figure out wrapping a whole car with a great new paint finish in flat black vinyl either...so please make it simple for me. Thanks.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:37 PM

2008 C350
Sorry...can't make any sense of that. Could someone seriously simply explain why this is done? I'm not making fun of it or calling it names...I just can't figure out why this is desirable to anyone. But, keep in mind, I also couldn't figure out wrapping a whole car with a great new paint finish in flat black vinyl either...so please make it simple for me. Thanks.
This is only a part of the vip scene.

-low
-aggressive wheels (Huge deep dish lip)
-Very clean eye catching paint
-Luxury interior
-optional a little snail under the hood
Old 03-13-2010, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
OK...I give up rather than prolong this by also asking what or where a "vip scene" is. It would have been helpful if someone could have taken a moment to give an thorough explanation for why a wheel sticking out of the wheel opening and that much negative camber is a good thing.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C63 AMG
Basically he is going for the Japanese VIP style. Most people that "VIP" their car drives a Japanese luxury car, although it has been applied to pretty much every other Japanese car including vans, wagons, hatchbacks, etc. and the odd European car. The only real addition you need to "VIP" your ride is to add overly large wheels with a width and offset that causes the wheels to stick out the side of the car. It's then paired with a smaller width tire, usually the minimum you can put on the wheels to stretch out the bead to the wheel. The wheel and tire combination will still stick out of the side, so they correct with with massive negative camber and then lower it so that the tire tucks inside the fender.

Paint, luxury interior, turbo/SC are not required, you'll see a lot of different cars with the wheel setup and call it "VIP".

It's not a good thing, tires wear down a lot quicker and only on the inside (obviously), so it is pretty much for the look.

It's all personal taste, I'm not a fan, and I can see many of you aren't, but the OP is, so best of luck with that! BTW, OP, you are talking about those quad exhausts, from your scrolling pictures in your signature, don't you have a quad exhaust setup as well?

Here are some other cars that have been "VIP"ed.

Last edited by Illusive; 03-13-2010 at 02:22 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:27 PM

BMW 335i
You see, some people hold the mistaken belief that being "different" is automatically a good thing. I've seen one of those vinyl wrapped cars in real life recently, and it reminded me of a Ford Tempo a guy I knew in college owned (he sprayed it with a can of paint to hide all the rust).

As for the wheels pictured above, I wonder if they would scrape the ground if you hit a large enough pothole?
Old 03-13-2010, 02:34 PM
Administrator

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Got Tang

Why do you even start a thread with these questions when all you want to do is argue your choice and expect, YES EXPECT, agreement? And while you are at it; please reread the TOU/TOS regarding language, insinuations, etc. Thank you.

Originally Posted by tiag335i
As for the wheels pictured above, I wonder if they would scrape the ground if you hit a large enough pothole?
I think you know the answer on that one youself.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

14' CLS550
I dont think people should be getting nasty or upset about this.. its his car, his choices.. hes going for a "theme" yet hes the 1st to do this 1st to do that.. if he wants to buy huuge rims and new expensive tires.. and have the tires wear out unevenly, thats his decision.. im sure he knows what hes getting into! Me personally im amazed that the tires dont rub the fender.. or do they? And in jersey those rims wouldnt last a week with the pot holes..good luck with ur VIP look

Last edited by bigigg; 03-13-2010 at 10:31 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Illusive, tiag, and others who answered....thanks much for the explanation!

I now understand this is a "fashion" issue and clearly beauty must be in the eye of the beholder! I just could not understand it without the history as there does not seem any inherent reason to do this. This has not reached any age group here in our "flyover" parts of the country, no less a middle aged guy like me. We do see some very "unusual" results from some peoples' desire to be different.

Last edited by Sportstick; 03-13-2010 at 05:33 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
I have been able to appreciate a lot of different automotive trends...even a lot I didn't agree with I could at least understand the appeal.
This is really pretty rough looking. I like the low and tucked look but this is just taking a good thing and going too far...way too far for me anyhow...it just looks broken
To each his own...enjoy
Old 03-14-2010, 03:59 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 GLK 350, 2013 GT-R, & 2013 RAM 1500

Old 03-14-2010, 11:45 PM

c300
Some more progress

She's going in for paint next week.

i know it will look sick when done. everybody got different styles and your idea seem very cool... good luck and enjoy your ride brotha..its good to strived to be different.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:09 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300
I'm glad went with the vip scene instead of the sporty scene where everyone is rocking amg replica wheels and wanna be quad tip exhaust

LOL! That soo funny. It amuses me to read threads about what is ok or tacky. If anything is tacky it's these retarded looking front lips everyone is adding on. AMG badge is a "No No" but C63 wheels or AMG exhaust is ok. Your car looks great. You need to show a side shot of the car.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:22 PM

C350
lovin it. cant wait to get my wheels on. went with a similar setup. ill post pics for everyone to hate on too lol
Old 03-15-2010, 06:26 PM

C350
check out www.hellaflush.com to get a better idea of the trend. Its not for everyone, but I love it.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:09 PM

2008 C350 Sport
I'm with SportStick on this one...I am an auto engineer in Detroit....I have never seen this before. I have to tell you, I would not even want to guess what this does to vehicle dynamics....talk about messing up some excellent German Engineeirng....wow!
Old 03-15-2010, 10:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
Originally Posted by vpdfan
I'm with SportStick on this one...I am an auto engineer in Detroit....I have never seen this before. I have to tell you, I would not even want to guess what this does to vehicle dynamics....talk about messing up some excellent German Engineeirng....wow!
They do exist!!!!!!!!!!

I KID I KID!
Old 03-15-2010, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by e1000
They do exist!!!!!!!!!!

I KID I KID!
Those of us who have been in the domestic industry would not still be here without a sense of humor!!

But, this thread remains a real head-scratcher. Contrary to an earlier posting, if I can speak for my colleague, I don't think we "hate" anyone. But most of the mods here have appearance or performance benefits, or at least don't do significant harm to performance for the sake of appearance. But, knowing what suspension engineers go through in design, and how vehicle development folks do validation, to see someone trash all that good work and science for that kind of appearance just so they feel they can be have something unique is just mystifying. But, I love that it's a free country, so you can all do as you wish and we can all talk about it!

P.S. Want to check out a wide variety of great engineering from our country's three manufacturers? Go drive a new Cadillac CTS-V, Ford Fusion Hybrid, and Dodge Ram 15/25/3500. Each outstanding in their own way.

Last edited by Sportstick; 03-15-2010 at 11:16 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:36 PM

C300 MT, 350Z
This thread is pretty funny. Honestly, whether it be Japanese, German, or Domestic, it's your car and your style. I am not too sure how it may look because the w204 is a bit thin and lengthy, so a wide setup on the wheels might not look as bad *** since the fenders don't really come out too far. However, I'm dying to see what it will look like! Good luck and post pics.

By the way, do you plan to daily drive your Merc?
Old 03-16-2010, 11:02 AM

2008 C350 Sport
Wink

Originally Posted by e1000
They do exist!!!!!!!!!!

I KID I KID!

We are a small, elite fighting force..... (some still even have jobs and can afford Daimler products....)
Old 03-16-2010, 01:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2009 C300 Luxury
Putting my flamesuit on for this one...

Honestly, I'm loving it and I think it's pretty ballsy. If you've got the cash to play in the VIP game, why not play? Personally I've got curtains, neckpads and lots of other Junction Produce goodies in my C because I love the look. Get a lot of compliments when I'm out too. Just can't bring myself to go flush just yet...so I'm rocking 18s with a conservative offset.

Keep doing what you're doing if you love doing it. Don't let anyone else knock your style.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
So you guys that are for this "mod" are OK with completely destroying the drive-ability of the car on normal city roads? I mean honestly, you're completely destroying the ride unless you plan to make the car a trailer queen. As far as how this mod LOOKS, I personally think it looks like you've damaged the vehicle - it looks terrible to me - but that's just opinion. The fact that you're ruining your ride isn't though.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Daily Wheels Beware Non Standard Offset!!!