C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

New Daily Wheels Beware Non Standard Offset!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C63 AMG
This thread is hilarious. Everyone is getting so wound up over what someone else is doing. Either you like it or you don't, simple as that. What someone else does is their business, you don't need to do it. Everyone has their own style, you may not like it, but they sure as hell do and probably a few others. No reason to go on the offensive on either side! I don't think anyone should have to defend what they do on their car. If you like it, great, if you don't, move on.

On that note, what is the difference between VIP and VIP-inspired? We are really getting down to the details now aren't we? I thought anything with large wheels, cambered, and tucked is considered VIP. Enlighten me.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache

This is getting to be my favorite thread....guess I am masochistic...

I have to admit that although I don't like the look of most of the VIP cars, a small number of them actually look kinda cool. For the most part, these cars are trailer queens and that is what the owner wants...I would hope they wouldn't need to drive them cross country or for their daily grind, but I doubt many of the extreme versions will ever be subjected to that.
I do wonder how the extra stress/torsion on the suspension and body will affect the car's structure for the long term.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:37 PM

Received 103 Likes on 51 Posts
2022 GLE450
Got Thang I noticed your signature states all your firsts, I just am not sure you were the first tinted windshield.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:51 PM

a g
Originally Posted by C300Sport

This is getting to be my favorite thread....guess I am masochistic...

I have to admit that although I don't like the look of most of the VIP cars, a small number of them actually look kinda cool. For the most part, these cars are trailer queens and that is what the owner wants...I would hope they wouldn't need to drive them cross country or for their daily grind, but I doubt many of the extreme versions will ever be subjected to that.
I do wonder how the extra stress/torsion on the suspension and body will affect the car's structure for the long term.
VIP is a style that emerged from Japan, as we all know. A car that is considered to be VIP is going to be a Lexus/Toyota, Nissan/Infiniti big body RWD sedan. This would include models such as:

Nissan Cima, President, Cedric, Gloria, and Fuga. With the USDM counterparts the Infiniti Q45 and Infiniti M35, M45.

Toyota Aristo (Lexus GS), Crown, Century, and Celsior (Lexus LS). The Crown and Century were not available in the states.

Toyota Crown:

Lexus LS (UCF30):

Vip-Inspired is basically anything that isn't consider on the original VIP platforms (previously mentioned ones only). This would include All other RWD sedans, Mercedes, Jaguar, you could even include the big Audi A8s also, even being AWD. Sometimes it would include anything else that is RWD.

VIP-inspired examples:

Toyota Previa:

BMW 728:

It has grown to even the FWD crowds, which will never be truly VIP, but are then considered VIP-styled.

Acura TSX:

Honda Accord (perhaps the nicest looking Accord ever...imo):

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...cles/bagtl.jpg

Last edited by RedG; 03-17-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
Originally Posted by RedG
Honda Accord (perhaps the nicest looking Accord ever...imo):

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...cles/bagtl.jpg
I would have to say the Accord looks pretty good and is the only one that doesn't look "broken"...at least from this angle
Old 03-17-2010, 10:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C204
Originally Posted by Illusive
On that note, what is the difference between VIP and VIP-inspired? We are really getting down to the details now aren't we? I thought anything with large wheels, cambered, and tucked is considered VIP. Enlighten me.
Red G made a great post summarizing VIP vs VIP Inspired. Enlightenment has arrived.

My biggest grip is that I feel VIP should stay strictly amongst the big body Japanese cars. A VIP Inspired Benz? It's as though an excuse to throw on stretched tires and label yourself "VIP Inspired".

I am no one to tell anyone how their car should look but I feel no wrong in stating my personal perspective on a subject. I am open to anyone criticizing me.

Now where's that Junction Produce Hello Kitty Bear I was looking for
Old 03-18-2010, 12:10 AM

2012 C63 AMG
See, it just seems odd to me that it'd be classified as VIP inspired because it isn't a big body Japanese car. It's like calling a car rice because it has a big muffler and a big wing on it or a big body kit with nothing under the hood. That term was inspired by Japanese cars adding those items on their car, but we still call a car 'rice' if it has a big spoiler on the back, etc. even if it is a European or North American car. No one calls it 'rice inspired'. Just my opinion, doesn't really matter lol...seems weird to me it's 'inspired'.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 484 Likes on 428 Posts
Mercedes
I think of true VIP as any top of the line luxury car thats slammed with big rims tucked in. Can be Japanese or European, it only looks good on the large cars.

So the baby C class isnt VIP , but a Sclass (new or old) could be.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
Originally Posted by got_thang?
I'm glad went with the vip scene instead of the sporty scene where everyone is rocking amg replica wheels and wanna be quad tip exhaust

How do you expect place at a car show with that?

Don't really care what style anyone "rocks," but I have been modifying cars for a very long time and I must say that my European cars are modified for performance and not for car shows. No function, no thanks. I do respect the effort though. BTW, VIP is for wannabe Japanese gangsters. Which is worse?
Old 03-18-2010, 08:31 PM

a g
Originally Posted by Derspeed
Don't really care what style anyone "rocks," but I have been modifying cars for a very long time and I must say that my European cars are modified for performance and not for car shows. No function, no thanks. I do respect the effort though. BTW, VIP is for wannabe Japanese gangsters. Which is worse?
I have never seen a more close-minded view ever...seriously. Even Europeans have show-only cars, to say otherwise is, well...just ignorant.

You could say similar ignorant things of people who just modify for speed.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
I have never seen a more close-minded view ever...seriously. Even Europeans have show-only cars, to say otherwise is, well...just ignorant.

You could say similar ignorant things of people who just modify for speed.
No sh*t. I have had a few show cars myself. That's not the point. He asked for opinions and upon disagreement with his preference for the VIP scene, attacked the folks with mods such as "wannabe quad tips." How is that statement less closed-minded? Did you even read his quote to which I responed? He assumed that people mod cars to win shows by saying, "How do you expect place at a car show with that?" For me, winning shows doesn't matter; eventhough I have won my fair share. Where did I state that Europeans don't have show-only cars? I indicated that I respect the effort as I do any car customizing style.

If you have "never seen a more close-minded statement," although it wasn't close-minded, you may lack serious life experience. Don't have such a thin skin.

Next time come prepared son.

Last edited by Derspeed; 03-18-2010 at 10:38 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:16 PM

C350
this thread is lame... thang, can you please post up new pics for those of us that are actually following the original topic of this thread.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:44 PM

a g
Originally Posted by Derspeed
No sh*t. I have had a few show cars myself. That's not the point. He asked for opinions and upon disagreement with his preference for the VIP scene, attacked the folks with mods such as "wannabe quad tips." How is that statement less closed-minded? Did you even read his quote to which I responed? He assumed that people mod cars to win shows by saying, "How do you expect place at a car show with that?" For me, winning shows doesn't matter; eventhough I have won my fair share. Where did I state that Europeans don't have show-only cars? I indicated that I respect the effort as I do any car customizing style.

If you have "never seen a more close-minded statement," although it wasn't close-minded, you may lack serious life experience. Don't have such a thin skin.

Next time come prepared son.
Oh, I see, you are the big-man on campus huh? Go bark your noise somewhere else, I won't entertain it.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
C350 Elegance
VIP (Very Individualized Punishment) is, fortunately, a trend of youth. Youth are rebellious by a fact of life so anything openly fought by the adult establishment will be their cup of tea.

This works for me since I purchased my C350ELE tenorite gray to pass unnoticed among the blend of universal shaped sedans in large cities or high crime areas.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
01' C32o
LOL @ this whole debate.

Randy post moar pics!
Old 03-21-2010, 11:49 AM

C 300
Originally Posted by Sportstick
You've actually identified the key point here!! "Ruined" is not the opposite of "stylish" for many of us. "Ruined" is the opposite of "good performance/works well". Lots of things with motors and wheels can "still drive/run". A Mercedes is for excellence in the driving, not just the minimum ability to move.

If this is all about looks, there are as many opinions as people. But, objectively, this is a deterioration to the performance of the automobile, and that's enough for some of us to make it unacceptable. The mystery is why anyone thinks something which deteriorates the performance of the vehicle this severely could also be seen as "stylish".
Well said.

There's an old saying, from before the turn of the 20th century: form follows function. It other words, a part's good looks are based on being designed as best as possible to do the job it was assigned. So, good looks, even beauty, was drawn from it's function, and only changed and refined with it's function in mind.

There have always been two general groups in the car scene: those people who recognize and refine the part's function (function could be rolling stock, or suspension, or an area that houses a functioning part), and those people who tack stuff on the outside of function, even get in the way of function, in the name of "beauty". Tack stuff on..........hmmm, tacky?

So it's a matter of recognizing refinement, and enjoying how that can be presented, or tacking stuff on with no regard to function, and calling it cool. To me, this means the difference between a car that's been engineered for function, and a circus wagon/carny ride.

Last edited by Distalero; 03-21-2010 at 11:53 AM.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:27 PM

2008 C350
New Wheels Again * Warning Baller Status*

Flame on!!!!

HRE 546R Double Step Lip 19x9 Front 19x11 Rear
Old 05-09-2010, 11:33 PM

a g
Dig the wheels, but more camber needed.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 C300 Sport Black Darth V3.0
Not for me buddy but you know I don't like shiny wheels. Camo on the lip? That is definitly a first.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 Color: 090 / 1999 Honda Civic EX / 2003 Acura TL
i like the Euro look with the rear wheels sticking out but one thing that worries me is about the rubbing.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:40 PM

2008 C350
I don't rub at all. finally found my aggressive offset that doesn't rub
Old 05-09-2010, 11:40 PM

2008 C350
Dig the wheels, but more camber needed.
I agree
Old 05-09-2010, 11:45 PM

2008 C350
Wish I can delete your spam
Old 05-09-2010, 11:45 PM

2010 C63
baller rims..... crappy camera! lol lookin good though!
Old 05-09-2010, 11:48 PM

2008 C350
Originally Posted by mikekuriger
baller rims..... crappy camera! lol lookin good though!
Thank you very much. I will get my friend to take some dslr pic soon.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Daily Wheels Beware Non Standard Offset!!!