C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

New Daily Wheels Beware Non Standard Offset!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 04:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2009 C300 Luxury
Define "ruining". What you may consider to be a ruined car may be considered stylish to someone else. As long as the car can still drive/run...I wouldn't call it destroyed or ruined.

Using your logic...wrapping the wood trim in carbon fiber is ruining the interior.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63
What I want to know is how do you get so much negative toe and camber in the rear?
Old 03-16-2010, 04:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
Originally Posted by vpdfan
We are a small, elite fighting force..... (some still even have jobs and can afford Daimler products....)
lol, I've never faulted the engineers in Detroit. Always seemed to me the marketing and executives there are the ones that mess things up.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 335i
Originally Posted by acr2001
So you guys that are for this "mod" are OK with completely destroying the drive-ability of the car on normal city roads? I mean honestly, you're completely destroying the ride unless you plan to make the car a trailer queen. As far as how this mod LOOKS, I personally think it looks like you've damaged the vehicle - it looks terrible to me - but that's just opinion. The fact that you're ruining your ride isn't though.
Not just city roads....any road, period. That kind of negative camber makes the car quite a bit slower because it reduces traction. I'm not even talking about added stress on the suspension components.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by Reed19x
Define "ruining". What you may consider to be a ruined car may be considered stylish to someone else. As long as the car can still drive/run...I wouldn't call it destroyed or ruined.

Using your logic...wrapping the wood trim in carbon fiber is ruining the interior.
You've actually identified the key point here!! "Ruined" is not the opposite of "stylish" for many of us. "Ruined" is the opposite of "good performance/works well". Lots of things with motors and wheels can "still drive/run". A Mercedes is for excellence in the driving, not just the minimum ability to move.

If this is all about looks, there are as many opinions as people. But, objectively, this is a deterioration to the performance of the automobile, and that's enough for some of us to make it unacceptable. The mystery is why anyone thinks something which deteriorates the performance of the vehicle this severely could also be seen as "stylish".
Old 03-16-2010, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes C300 Sport, BMW 745Li, VW Mk6 Golf TDI
You guys are looking at this all wrong. You're taking his car and trying to apply it to your own daily driving lives. Go to an aftermarket car show and you'll quickly see tons of vehicles who rock VIP looks or other style that kills drivability. If you compete in car shows, then you're going to be in different category as everyone else in terms of modding priorities. People try to make their cars more an art piece and not really caring about how comfortable they'll be going over a speed bump. Afterall, you can't really display comfortability and that's definitely not a judge scoring criteria. Who knows, maybe he has a normal daily driving setup and this is simply his show setup. Not all that difficult to accomplish.

Remember, show cars are just as much (if not more) about style and art as it is about anything else. And just like not everyone loves picasso, not everyone loves VIP.

And for those who've never been to one of these shows...here's a short video one of my friends made of last wekfest show up in San Fran to give you an idea of what it's like.
http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=10030304

Last edited by Azn_C300; 03-16-2010 at 05:26 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:14 PM

C350 Elegance
A professionally engineered modification for a purpose, such as to meet racing specs, is one thing; a functional modification away from the laws of Physics, out of desire, at a budget and out of lack of knowhow, goes from damaging the car function to playing Russian Roulette with it.

All automotive engineers cannot be deranged, and all voice similar statements. So enjoy while it lasts, though under advisement, and please do not cry afterwards.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:25 PM

C300 sport 4matic
i just feel dumber for having even looked at this thread!
Old 03-16-2010, 06:05 PM

2010 E Class
just a little bit more lip and it will look perfect
Old 03-16-2010, 06:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 c230 sport
simple explanation: http://speedhunters.com/archive/2009...efinition.aspx

edit:
you do what you like, you like what you do. +100 on originality.

imo cars only sit so high because roads aren't made perfect. if they were then cars would all sit low and wheels would be an extension of the body, not a buffer for deterioration.

Last edited by howardyudoing; 03-16-2010 at 06:17 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:20 PM

07 c230 sport
Originally Posted by chubbs032
What I want to know is how do you get so much negative toe and camber in the rear?
toe shouldn't be changed but some mildy change camber from -2 to -3 and some even make the wheel retardedly sideways.

even looking at stock bmws, they have quite a bit of negative camber.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:21 PM

BMW 335i
Originally Posted by Azn_C300
You guys are looking at this all wrong. You're taking his car and trying to apply it to your own daily driving lives. Go to an aftermarket car show and you'll quickly see tons of vehicles who rock VIP looks or other style that kills drivability. If you compete in car shows, then you're going to be in different category as everyone else in terms of modding priorities. People try to make their cars more an art piece and not really caring about how comfortable they'll be going over a speed bump. Afterall, you can't really display comfortability and that's definitely not a judge scoring criteria. Who knows, maybe he has a normal daily driving setup and this is simply his show setup. Not all that difficult to accomplish.
Oh, we understand that it's about "style", but that doesn't make it any less ridiculous. The whole "VIP" look is the automotive equivalent of the "baggy pants hanging below your ***" look (in fact, I'd venture a guess that both of these "styles" appeal to the same demographic). It's a free country and you can do whatever you want, but I reserve the right to laugh at people who look like their trousers are weighted down by fifty pounds of sh*t or who's cars look like they have a busted suspension.

Last edited by tiag335i; 03-16-2010 at 07:28 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:55 PM

C350
Originally Posted by tiag335i
Oh, we understand that it's about "style", but that doesn't make it any less ridiculous. The whole "VIP" look is the automotive equivalent of the "baggy pants hanging below your ***" look (in fact, I'd venture a guess that both of these "styles" appeal to the same demographic). It's a free country and you can do whatever you want, but I reserve the right to laugh at people who look like their trousers are weighted down by fifty pounds of sh*t or who's cars look like they have a busted suspension.
That is just an outrageously retarded statement.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:25 PM

07 c230 sport
ignorant.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:31 PM

c300
Originally Posted by markc350
That is just an outrageously retarded statement.

plus 1

plus 1 to azn 300 statement too... "got thang" might have a different setup for his ride... won't know until he post...whatever it might be, its his ride and its always a pleasure to see members post their own style, regardless if its dumb, cool, and etc.. i think he will be done within weeks... do your "thang"!!!
Old 03-16-2010, 10:56 PM

'09 C300 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by got_thang?
I'm glad went with the vip scene instead of the sporty scene where everyone is rocking amg replica wheels and wanna be quad tip exhaust

How do you expect place at a car show with that?

That car looks like shlt. The tires clearly don't fit the rims...if you have the money to blow on big fancy expensive rims at least buy tires that fit them properly! Talk about over-stretching

Not feeling the "look" at all...have seen it wayyy too often on hoopties, low riders and riced out imports. Just MHO though
Old 03-16-2010, 11:02 PM

'09 C300 4Matic Sport
I literally laughed out loud reading this. Flame away but I agree with him
Old 03-16-2010, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

14' CLS550
This kid is probably sittin there laughin at all you people.. all he did was post a really close pic of his rear wheel and every1 is getting bent outta shape!! 49 posts later and were still arguin about this "vip" setup.. Honestly im kinda tired of seeing this thread at the top of the w204 forum everytime i sign on.. let the kid live! its his car.. if he wants to go that route whatever
Old 03-16-2010, 11:09 PM

'09 C300 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by bigigg
This kid is probably sittin there laughin at all you people.. all he did was post a really close pic of his rear wheel and every1 is getting bent outta shape!! 49 posts later and were still arguin about this "vip" setup.. Honestly im kinda tired of seeing this thread at the top of the w204 forum everytime i sign on.. let the kid live! its his car.. if he wants to go that route whatever
And I'm sure those people are sitting there laughing right back at him. I don't think people are getting bent outta shape...they're just stating their opinion. It's an internet message board...if you post something people are gonna give their reactions/opinions. Ans almost all of the replies have ended with something to the effect of "Just my opinion...It's you car do what you want"
Old 03-16-2010, 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by bigigg
Since time began, two things have usually happened....

Kids have been doing things older folks don't get....

AND

kids have been laughing at older people's comments........

Later on, two things usually happen........

kids get older and understand better what their elders had been saying

AND

as they get older, new kids start laughing at them, much to their surprise!!

BTW, I finally figured out what VIP stands for....

Visibility Instead of Performance!
Old 03-16-2010, 11:39 PM

2009 C300 Luxury
Originally Posted by Sportstick

BTW, I finally figured out what VIP stands for....

Visibility Instead of Performance!
In the VIP scene...VIP doesn't actually stand for anything. V.I.P. stands for very important person. VIP is said like a word...whip with a 'v' sound in place of 'wh'.

But point taken, I guess.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:12 AM

a g
[quote=alexlev;3982042}
In all seriousness, you drive a Mercedes. It's not a Lexus/Toyota, it won't ever pass as VIP. That and hella flush is for the honda boys . . Keep it real.
[/quote]

Sure, Mercedes can pass as VIP-inspired all day long.

Originally Posted by Illusive
Basically he is going for the Japanese VIP style. Most people that "VIP" their car drives a Japanese luxury car, although it has been applied to pretty much every other Japanese car including vans, wagons, hatchbacks, etc. and the odd European car. The only real addition you need to "VIP" your ride is to add overly large wheels with a width and offset that causes the wheels to stick out the side of the car. It's then paired with a smaller width tire, usually the minimum you can put on the wheels to stretch out the bead to the wheel. The wheel and tire combination will still stick out of the side, so they correct with with massive negative camber and then lower it so that the tire tucks inside the fender.

Paint, luxury interior, turbo/SC are not required, you'll see a lot of different cars with the wheel setup and call it "VIP".

It's not a good thing, tires wear down a lot quicker and only on the inside (obviously), so it is pretty much for the look.

It's all personal taste, I'm not a fan, and I can see many of you aren't, but the OP is, so best of luck with that! BTW, OP, you are talking about those quad exhausts, from your scrolling pictures in your signature, don't you have a quad exhaust setup as well?

Here are some other cars that have been "VIP"ed.

Only the second picture from the bottom (Infiniti Q45 in the states, Nissan Cima (F50) in Japan), is VIP. The rest are VIP-inspired.

Originally Posted by Sportstick
Those of us who have been in the domestic industry would not still be here without a sense of humor!!

But, this thread remains a real head-scratcher. Contrary to an earlier posting, if I can speak for my colleague, I don't think we "hate" anyone. But most of the mods here have appearance or performance benefits, or at least don't do significant harm to performance for the sake of appearance. But, knowing what suspension engineers go through in design, and how vehicle development folks do validation, to see someone trash all that good work and science for that kind of appearance just so they feel they can be have something unique is just mystifying. But, I love that it's a free country, so you can all do as you wish and we can all talk about it!

P.S. Want to check out a wide variety of great engineering from our country's three manufacturers? Go drive a new Cadillac CTS-V, Ford Fusion Hybrid, and Dodge Ram 15/25/3500. Each outstanding in their own way.
All engineers ideas originated with automobile customization and tuning, not the other way around. Don't intend to sound mean though...

There is extremes in anything, but the standard is gorgeous all around.

A W220:

A W215:

LS460:
Old 03-17-2010, 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

a durr
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrOAIW4uOkM

This is why stretched rims don't work. Tires need sidewalls to work properly.

Enjoy your harsh ride and total lack of performance.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:47 AM

w204
To each his own. I never really fancied the whole VIP look, but certain cars can pull off the stretched tire/negative camber quite well...although, the ride comfort is not practical for DD'ing...ride drooling is still there (well, drooling for some...ewww for others), and I suppose that is why folks do it.

Hope you dont mind Got Thang, but here is a better picture of what the setup mite look like...I say "mite" because Im not sure if he decided on those wheels or went a different route.

Here are some stretched/negative camber setups that look amazing imo...

...and this is the subsequent consequence of going overboard

Last edited by BasickOne; 03-17-2010 at 01:17 AM.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:13 AM

a g
Originally Posted by yooker
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrOAIW4uOkM

This is why stretched rims don't work. Tires need sidewalls to work properly.

Enjoy your harsh ride and total lack of performance.
Tires seemed to worked fine enough. Perhaps many fail to realize that there is a recommended wheel and tire width range, but that doesn't mean you couldn't run 215s on a 9" or 9.5" wheel safely. It also should be said that all 215 width tires aren't all 'exactly' the same width. That is why things like section width and tread width are mentioned.

The casing or steel belting of the tire doesn't care if it is stretched on a 10" wheel or stuffed on a 7" wheel. Granted some of the handling dynamics do change, the overall running diameter is very nearly exactly the same no matter the wheel width.

Though your statement is right, tires do need sidewalls to perform properly, it just isn't qualified properly. Nor does it consider casing construction and tire dynamics.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Daily Wheels Beware Non Standard Offset!!!