C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Installed HID Kit from HIDExtra.com and have issues..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 Cab
Installed HID Kit from HIDExtra.com and have issues..

So I installed the HID Kit for the H7 that they have on their site. I ordered the 6k version.
All the wires are set up correctly. I know this because the lights come on perfectly upon engine startup. However after about 15 seconds, my left headlight flickers and goes out. 5 seconds later, the right side flickers and then goes out. Then they come on and off intermittently every couple of minutes. I also get an error message about the left side being out, but nothing for the right.

Did I do something wrong or am I missing something?

EDIT - I am also getting a right headlamp out error too now.

Last edited by alan111; 02-08-2010 at 11:25 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:08 PM

2018 S350 D, 2011 E350 Coupe, 2017 G63 AMG, 2017 Ford Mustang
Originally Posted by alan111
So I installed the HID Kit for the H7 that they have on their site. I ordered the 6k version.
All the wires are set up correctly. I know this because the lights come on perfectly upon engine startup. However after about 15 seconds, my left headlight flickers and goes out. 5 seconds later, the right side flickers and then goes out. Then they come on and off intermittently every couple of minutes. I also get an error message about the left side being out, but nothing for the right.

Did I do something wrong or am I missing something?
The problem as i see it is basically due to a fault in connections. Try to redo it if you have the time. Otherwise they cause a problem when you have your daylight driving lamp mode on. If so is the case then you need to switch that function off. Also, it happens due to faulty fuses. Another thing you could so is upgrade your fuses. For example 15mA to 30mA. I've read this somewhere and they consider it a great solution to remove flickering and auto shutdown of HIDs.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:10 PM

I was told before ordering that these will not flicker or trigger any codes..
Do I need the capacitors? Shouldn't they have been included?

Last edited by alan111; 02-08-2010 at 11:26 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:36 PM

I was told before ordering that these will not flicker or trigger any codes..
Do I need the capacitors? Shouldn't they have been included?
Well i'm pretty sure you would not be needing any capacitors. HID ballasts are the ones controlling all your functions and they have everything in-built. As i mentioned earlier, try those solutions. If it does not work, then just contact the seller. I'm sure they'll be able to provide you with practical help.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Nik_Ind
Well i'm pretty sure you would not be needing any capacitors. HID ballasts are the ones controlling all your functions and they have everything in-built. As i mentioned earlier, try those solutions. If it does not work, then just contact the seller. I'm sure they'll be able to provide you with practical help.
I'll try to upgrade the fuses, but that's the first I've heard that. Where did you read that?
Old 02-08-2010, 11:43 PM

I'll try to upgrade the fuses, but that's the first I've heard that. Where did you read that?
This was a general on HID kit troubleshooting. Can't exactly remember where i read it, but it was definitely there. A wiki page or something. I think you should try reconnecting 1st. Try cleaning the plugs and then connecting them again. Although it seems to very vague, but when it comes to plug and play set-ups, the minutest of details make a difference!
Old 02-08-2010, 11:45 PM

This was a general on HID kit troubleshooting. Can't exactly remember where i read it, but it was definitely there. A wiki page or something. I think you should try reconnecting 1st. Try cleaning the plugs and then connecting them again. Although it seems to very vague, but when it comes to plug and play set-ups, the minutest of details make a difference!
I will also do that, but the weird thing is that they stay lit upon start up! I know the polarity's are correct because I had the reverse them prior to closing everything because they didn't light. I reversed the polarity and they lit. I don't know what else it could be ...
Old 02-08-2010, 11:51 PM

I will also do that, but the weird thing is that they stay lit upon start up! I know the polarity's are correct because I had the reverse them prior to closing everything because they didn't light. I reversed the polarity and they lit. I don't know what else it could be ...
Shouldn't be a major problem buddy. Don't worry. In any case if there is problem with the product, you can surely ask for assistance for HIDextra. Just try it out and let us know. Probably some other members here might have a different solution to this. Needless to say, it can be solved here on this forum! (unless it's a faulty product of course)
Old 02-09-2010, 12:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
15 E200CGI SPORT
Well I think you need an error canceler to get rid of those error message. Might also solve your flickering problem.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:05 AM

Well after reading through this thread, it looks like I will need the capacitors that they were supposed to send me, but did not.

https://mbworld.org/forums/group-pur...d-members.html

Should fix my problems... this is so frustrating. I want to use my lights already!
Old 02-09-2010, 12:14 AM

Well after reading through this thread, it looks like I will need the capacitors that they were supposed to send me, but did not.

https://mbworld.org/forums/group-pur...d-members.html

Should fix my problems... this is so frustrating. I want to use my lights already!
Ok. That's a first for me. Do let me know if it works out. Eager to know!
Old 02-09-2010, 12:15 AM

Ok. That's a first for me. Do let me know if it works out. Eager to know!
Will do...

By the way - Can anyone show me a couple of pictures of where they mounted the ballasts and such? I'm affraid that I may have positioned them somewhere where it may melt something important.... let me know your suggestions.

Thanks!
Old 02-09-2010, 03:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 171 Likes on 155 Posts
99 E320
The problem as i see it is basically due to a fault in connections. Try to redo it if you have the time. Otherwise they cause a problem when you have your daylight driving lamp mode on. If so is the case then you need to switch that function off. Also, it happens due to faulty fuses. Another thing you could so is upgrade your fuses. For example 15mA to 30mA. I've read this somewhere and they consider it a great solution to remove flickering and auto shutdown of HIDs.
whoa....i'm going to have to jump in and disagree with this 'fix'. fuses are
purposely designed to be the inherent weak spot in a circuit. their raison
d'etre is to blow when the amperage rises above the high end of normal
operation. to suggest that the fix is to double the fuse rating is simplistic....
and dangerous, especially if done w/o calculating the rated load of all the
functioning parts. only when this has been done can a fuse rating be
assigned. in fact, one should select the lightest fuse...just above the
nominal circuit rating... which prevents the fuse from blowing. done casually
and w/o proper calculation, worst case scenario will see your harness and
appliances catch fire.

do *not* attempt to fix headlight flickering by doubling your fuse rating.

homeowners use to try this method by sticking pennies into screw in fuses
and have their house catch fire. similar stories with folks rigging HID w/o
a supplemental wiring harness (and fuses) into their headlight circuit.

Last edited by raymond g-; 02-09-2010 at 03:27 AM.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by raymond g-
whoa....i'm going to have to jump in and disagree with this 'fix'. fuses are
purposely designed to be the inherent weak spot in a circuit. their raison
d'etre is to blow when the amperage rises above the high end of normal
operation. to suggest that the fix is to double the fuse rating is simplistic....
and dangerous, especially if done w/o calculating the rated load of all the
functioning parts. only when this has been done can a fuse rating be
assigned. in fact, one should select the lightest fuse...just above the
nominal circuit rating... which prevents the fuse from blowing. done casually
and w/o proper calculation, worst case scenario will see your harness and
appliances catch fire.

do *not* attempt to fix headlight flickering by doubling your fuse rating.

homeowners use to try this method by sticking pennies into screw in fuses
and have their house catch fire. similar stories with folks rigging HID w/o
a supplemental wiring harness (and fuses) into their headlight circuit.
Hmmm. First of all my apologies, i honestly had no idea this could happen! I mentioned that i had just read it somewhere and not tried it myself. If only i could remember what website it was. Undoubtedly it was mentioned that this fuse trick helps in eliminating the flickering. Don't know about any wiring upgrades though. But thanks for the update buddy.

P.S.- Coins instead of fuses PRICELESS!!!
Old 02-09-2010, 07:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C200
hey bro

ive encountered this problem. what happens is that your car's ECU controls the current flowing to each light. when you swap to HIDs, the current drawn is much less and so it will trigger the ECU to keep switching on and off. what you need is a resistor or the so-called error cancellor.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 171 Likes on 155 Posts
99 E320
Hmmm. First of all my apologies, i honestly had no idea this could happen! I mentioned that i had just read it somewhere and not tried it myself. If only i could remember what website it was. Undoubtedly it was mentioned that this fuse trick helps in eliminating the flickering. Don't know about any wiring upgrades though. But thanks for the update buddy.

P.S.- Coins instead of fuses PRICELESS!!!
tnx for understanding..... i wasn't attacking you, but whomever posted the
'fix' as the solution.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 S430, 2004 Cobra, 2004 Tahoe
I was told to specify the resistors in my order, so that is what I did. They seem to work fine however there was strange coincidence where my front SAM module fried about 3 days after the install.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Blk04cobra1
I was told to specify the resistors in my order, so that is what I did. They seem to work fine however there was strange coincidence where my front SAM module fried about 3 days after the install.

Uh-oh. The more I read, the more scared I get about these HID kits. Which kit and from where did you get it?
Old 02-09-2010, 11:05 AM

Uh-oh. The more I read, the more scared I get about these HID kits. Which kit and from where did you get it?
Hahah. Just go ahead and try the error-cancellers/capacitors or probably re-connecting. Otherwise just consult your seller. It's best not to get confused and not waste time buddy. Really hoping things work out for you!
Old 02-09-2010, 04:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C300
I had the same problem when I first installed my DDM tuning kit. I bought the 55watt kit thinking no errors or flickers would occur. I was wrong and about 10min after startup both sides would flicker and I'd get a bulb out warning on dash.

A forum member told me to purchase the error cancelers so I did and problem was solved the minute I plugged them in. Ever since I've had 0 problems.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p...=130&parent=85

pay the $20 and save yourself the headache.

As for positioning..I put mine above the inside of the wheel hub I believe and used Industrial velcro to hold it in position. The velcro holds like no other and hasn't budged since the day I put em on. Holds better on plastic which is where I placed the ballast on the plastic hump of the wheel well.

http://www.amazon.com/Velcro-Industr...9&sr=8-1-spell

That's the velcro I used. You can find them at home depot in smaller lengths for cheaper.

hope that helps. GL Bud
Old 02-09-2010, 06:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 ML350 4matic
Basically, same thing with the error cancellors....stop fooling around and buy them. They absolutlely work. I was connecting, reconnecting switching the ballasts....the cancellors work.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by tehc300
I had the same problem when I first installed my DDM tuning kit. I bought the 55watt kit thinking no errors or flickers would occur. I was wrong and about 10min after startup both sides would flicker and I'd get a bulb out warning on dash.

A forum member told me to purchase the error cancelers so I did and problem was solved the minute I plugged them in. Ever since I've had 0 problems.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p...=130&parent=85

pay the $20 and save yourself the headache.

As for positioning..I put mine above the inside of the wheel hub I believe and used Industrial velcro to hold it in position. The velcro holds like no other and hasn't budged since the day I put em on. Holds better on plastic which is where I placed the ballast on the plastic hump of the wheel well.

http://www.amazon.com/Velcro-Industr...9&sr=8-1-spell

That's the velcro I used. You can find them at home depot in smaller lengths for cheaper.

hope that helps. GL Bud
Wow, thanks for that post man! That was everything I needed to know. I appreciate it! Will post some pics this coming weekend.

Oh, and I spoke with HIDEXTRA.com and they said they are sending me the capacitors (same as error cancellers) for free. They said it should have been included with the kit. So at least that should be solved.

Originally Posted by Benzo 003
Basically, same thing with the error cancellors....stop fooling around and buy them. They absolutlely work. I was connecting, reconnecting switching the ballasts....the cancellors work.
Fooling around? I asked for advise and help as I was not sure what was going on.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 ML350 4matic
A poor choice of words....I was trying say something along the lines of not to waste too much time diagnosing the issue after another post indicated that the cancellors were the way to go.

No offense intended.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:15 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

BBS LM's 18's + Kics
a capacitor may help, but if you want error free i would recommend MTEC hid kits
Old 02-12-2010, 01:33 PM

1989 Toyota Tercel Coupé
Originally Posted by E92-Lighting
a capacitor may help, but if you want error free i would recommend MTEC hid kits
And that would have nothing to do with you selling them, correct?