C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

2P2 or not to P2, that is the question?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 Luxury
2P2 or not to P2, that is the question?

I am about to place an order for a C300 Luxury but looking at the P2 package I am having some doubts because it is a lot of money and there is only one feature I really want, I am getting on in years and I really want the brighter headlights.

Bi-Xenon headlamps - Need this
Corner-illuminating Fog lamps - Handy, but not necessary
Headlamp washing system - Not necessary
LED tail lamps - Would be nice but not necessary
Rear power sunshade- Handy but not absolutely necessary
Split-folding rear seats - Not necessary, in fact the structure might be more solid without.

I see where many people have used HID kits and I am thinking of skipping the P2 and getting high and low HID bulbs. Question...has anyone on this board actually seen or driven both and can compare the P2 headlights versus the HID kits? Is there a big difference, if any? If so, what?

Second question, I am also think of skipping the Multimedia package to save some money but I want a back-up camera. Is it possible to install a back-up camera to the screen of the Nav + 4 Universal Media Interface? My salesperson says no, but I can't see why not.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Why do you "need" (vs. "want") Xenon headlamps? The standard headlamps (low and high beam) do a very good job of illuminating the road for my 55+ year old eyes.

Last edited by Sportstick; 02-22-2010 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:56 PM

c300
actually.. the real gem of the p2 package is the folding seats : )
Old 02-22-2010, 01:11 PM

2008 C300
Originally Posted by absolutleo
actually.. the real gem of the p2 package is the folding seats : )
I could not agree more. I don't know how many times I have been at a store, say, Home Depot, and happened to pick up something, say a new broom, and used the folding seats. It happens all the time.

Without them I either would have to go get another vehicle or damage the interior by putting it crosswise inside the car or such.

P2 was a must for me because of the folding seats.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:12 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
'20 Targa 4 DD, ' 18 Volvo S60 T6
Bi-Xenon headlamps - many seem to regret not getting them. If often rural roads a must have.
Corner-illuminating Fog lamps - pure gimmick
Headlamp washing system - must have if live in snow areas.
LED tail lamps - another gimmick - but cool
Split-folding rear seats - don't need if have another large items vehicle like entry level car (most have them) LOL

Aftermarket HID kits are garbage - no auto dipping dangerous to others on the road and lamps are not designed for them. Installs look rice under the hood and condensation probs in lamps exist.

Back-up cams are priceless if in tight parking situations frequently.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:22 PM

2011 C350--black, grey/black interior, Multimedia + Lighting Package, HK Sound, Rear View Camera
Can someone post pics of the difference between the regular lights and P2 Bi-Xenon lights AT NIGHT?
Old 02-22-2010, 01:32 PM

If I was to choose P2 or not P2 again, I would get P2 again thousand times over. That's just for the C350 though.

Folding seats are just that awesome. For the price you're going to pay for the C300+P1+P2, you may want to look at the C350 with P2. There is very little price difference between them.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by whiteongrey
Bi-Xenon headlamps - many seem to regret not getting them. If often rural roads a must have.
Split-folding rear seats - don't need if have another large items vehicle like entry level car (most have them) LOL

Aftermarket HID kits are garbage - no auto dipping dangerous to others on the road and lamps are not designed for them. Installs look rice under the hood and condensation probs in lamps exist.

Maybe it gets darker at night where you are...but on low-traffic country roads, the high beams light up the road extremely well for me...did you mean in comparison to the low or high beams?

For the south side of the Great Lakes, I don't find snow building up on my headlights...doing fine without headlamp washers.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
09' E350 AMG Sport, 09' C300, 03' Honda S2K
The HID for the P2 was my reason, I also have agree that the split folding seats are also a very good feature. I have put all sorts junk in my car beacause of that. HID conversion are not the same as true HID unless the actual projector is swap out or retrofitted.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:18 PM

MB w204 C300 Sport, Audi B7 A4 2.0TQ, Porsche Cayman 981
Get P2.

Why sell yourself short on something you said you need?
So what if it comes along with a bunch of useless stuff - at least you got the feature you most desired.

I guarantee that if you don't get P2, everytime you step into your car, you will be kicking yourself wishing you had got it! Don't sell yourself short.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2009 C350
If you really want to just skip the package, you could just do a D2S retrofit from Lightwerkz for about $820. Results look pretty damn nice. I know one of the members on this forum went that route.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:30 PM

C300 Luxury
Originally Posted by Sportstick
Why do you "need" (vs. "want") Xenon headlamps? The standard headlamps (low and high beam) do a very good job of illuminating the road for my 55+ year old eyes.

I find it so much easier to see at night with the Xenons - perhaps if I was still 55 then...
Old 02-22-2010, 03:33 PM

C300 Luxury
Originally Posted by imboom
If I was to choose P2 or not P2 again, I would get P2 again thousand times over. That's just for the C350 though.

Folding seats are just that awesome. For the price you're going to pay for the C300+P1+P2, you may want to look at the C350 with P2. There is very little price difference between them.

I thought of that but don't want the sport.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:41 PM

C300 Luxury
Originally Posted by whiteongrey

I live in Florida, so no headlamp washing needed but it does look like the consensus is that the Xenon from the factory are superior. What about the back-up camera, is it possible to install a back-up camera to the screen of the Nav + 4 Universal Media Interface?
Old 02-22-2010, 04:12 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
P2?

Originally Posted by DannyAves
I am about to place an order for a C300 Luxury but looking at the P2 package I am having some doubts because it is a lot of money and there is only one feature I really want, I am getting on in years and I really want the brighter headlights.

Bi-Xenon headlamps - Need this
Corner-illuminating Fog lamps - Handy, but not necessary
Headlamp washing system - Not necessary
LED tail lamps - Would be nice but not necessary
Rear power sunshade- Handy but not absolutely necessary
Split-folding rear seats - Not necessary, in fact the structure might be more solid without.

I see where many people have used HID kits and I am thinking of skipping the P2 and getting high and low HID bulbs. Question...has anyone on this board actually seen or driven both and can compare the P2 headlights versus the HID kits? Is there a big difference, if any? If so, what?

Second question, I am also think of skipping the Multimedia package to save some money but I want a back-up camera. Is it possible to install a back-up camera to the screen of the Nav + 4 Universal Media Interface? My salesperson says no, but I can't see why not.

Thanks in advance.
I specified P2 and MM because I understood the value of most of the components.

Bi-Xenon and headlight washers:

My previous MB had Bi-Xenon lights and the difference between them and the stock halogens is very significant. One you have used them, you will never go back. I have had a few W204 dealer loaners and the stock lights are pitiful in comparison. Headlight washers are mandatory by Euro law when Xenons are installed and that's why they are paired. And, if you wade through the endless posts regarding aftermarket xenons, it's plain that those owners regret not buying the factory installed version.

The fog lights are useless in all modes.

The folding seats are a must because the trunk is too small to carry anything of any length. I've used mine dozens of times. They have no effect on body rigidity.

The rear sunshade keeps the sun off the rear passengers, keeps the car a bit cooler inside when parked and slows down fading of the rear seat tops and package shelf.

The LED turn lights are noticeably brighter, particularly in daylight. Safety.

As to MM, I bought it and I just smile when I see all the posts from owners who are trying to replicate it's features with all kinds of band-aid add ons to their stock radios.

There are lots of leftover cars at the dealers and they are discounting them heavily. If you are willing to settle for the common colors, you might find what you want for around 30 grand.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:26 PM

'09 C300 4Matic Sport
My car doesn't have the P2 package so I can't really speak to the benefits...but I would definitely get the MM package. Got a loaner C300 w/o the MM package and it's just a night and day difference. Well worth the money

Never understood installing a back-up camera on a C-class...not like it's really THAT long of a car that you need a backup camera to be able to see behind you. Just MHO though
Old 02-22-2010, 04:28 PM

The MM package is necessary and it makes the interior look a lot better too.

I don't think that the bixenon lights are important when you live in a city, and I have never been in a car with them on rural roads.

The folding seats should be standard, I hope Mercedes reads this one.

Those washing systems are a problem waiting to happen. I have that on my Audi and when there is ice covering them they break and all of the washer fluid drips out. I think the new Mercedes system is better, but I am not sure.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

14' CLS550
me personally i would skip the p2 and just have your own hid kit installed, im not a big fan of led lights soo the tails are just ehh for me.. rear folding seats, there cool..but i drive a pick up also. only thing i regret not getting with my car was the navigation!! if the only thing u feel u need is the headlights, have your own hid's installed
Old 02-22-2010, 05:54 PM

C300 Luxury
Originally Posted by RLE
I specified P2 and MM because I understood the value of most of the components.

Bi-Xenon and headlight washers:

My previous MB had Bi-Xenon lights and the difference between them and the stock halogens is very significant. One you have used them, you will never go back. I have had a few W204 dealer loaners and the stock lights are pitiful in comparison. Headlight washers are mandatory by Euro law when Xenons are installed and that's why they are paired. And, if you wade through the endless posts regarding aftermarket xenons, it's plain that those owners regret not buying the factory installed version.

The fog lights are useless in all modes.

The folding seats are a must because the trunk is too small to carry anything of any length. I've used mine dozens of times. They have no effect on body rigidity.

The rear sunshade keeps the sun off the rear passengers, keeps the car a bit cooler inside when parked and slows down fading of the rear seat tops and package shelf.

The LED turn lights are noticeably brighter, particularly in daylight. Safety.

As to MM, I bought it and I just smile when I see all the posts from owners who are trying to replicate it's features with all kinds of band-aid add ons to their stock radios.

There are lots of leftover cars at the dealers and they are discounting them heavily. If you are willing to settle for the common colors, you might find what you want for around 30 grand.
For 30 grand I would settle for any color...where would I find that??
Old 02-22-2010, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 Color: 090 / 1999 Honda Civic EX / 2003 Acura TL
www.ddmtuning.com for HID's
Old 02-22-2010, 06:22 PM

2008 C 300 sport
P2 my man, I agree with everybody else who is advising you on this. If only just for the BI-XENON it is well worth it, all the other features are cool & trust me once you try them out you will enjoy them.

Also this is an expensive purchase so don't sell yourself short because once you buy it you can't take it back...even with the receipt...lol I'm coming off a Lexus GS300 with no HID & the BI-XENONS on the C-300 are great...I can see now!!! lol The only thing I would of liked would of been leather as for my Lexus interior was beautiful, but this MB-TEX is growing on me.

If your trying to save some money, try going with a pre-owned with p2. That is what I did. I got a great deal on a 2008 after doing some searching in the color I wanted. This is the site I went to leasetrader.com, I took over someone's lease & plan on using the lease end buy out when it is up, as for I'm loving the car.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:00 PM

C300 Luxury
Originally Posted by duck718nyc
P2 my man, I agree with everybody else who is advising you on this. If only just for the BI-XENON it is well worth it, all the other features are cool & trust me once you try them out you will enjoy them.

Also this is an expensive purchase so don't sell yourself short because once you buy it you can't take it back...even with the receipt...lol I'm coming off a Lexus GS300 with no HID & the BI-XENONS on the C-300 are great...I can see now!!! lol The only thing I would of liked would of been leather as for my Lexus interior was beautiful, but this MB-TEX is growing on me.

If your trying to save some money, try going with a pre-owned with p2. That is what I did. I got a great deal on a 2008 after doing some searching in the color I wanted. This is the site I went to leasetrader.com, I took over someone's lease & plan on using the lease end buy out when it is up, as for I'm loving the car.
Thanks, do you think the HK stereo upgrade is worth it?
Old 02-22-2010, 08:18 PM

2008 C 300 sport
YES!!! as well as the MM, as some on this forum have said...lot of people have regret not getting the P2 & HK...now if you can't afford it, especially in this economy... well then we all must make some sacrifices, just don't do it when it comes to your safety & the safety of others...the last thing you need is your lights not to be working properly.

If you are a good DIY person, then you can make some cut back on the cost of the car & follow the GREAT diy instructions of our fellow forum members. I'm just not big on messing with the lights, to many things can go wrong. Also some have said it might void your warranty which you don't want to do, because then you will be paying triple of what the P2 package would of cost.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
09' E350 AMG Sport, 09' C300, 03' Honda S2K
I have been in MB with H/K systems, It is a great system, but not sure it if it actually that great comparing with the stock system. You definitely get the extra speaker in the center dash which is really cool and is louder, but the stock sytem is not bad IMO.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
after having HIDs from factory, i will always look for a car with it. i don't care about folding seats or power sunshade or washers, but love my BiXenons.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2P2 or not to P2, that is the question?