C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

2P2 or not to P2, that is the question?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 06:54 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Originally Posted by imboom
If I was to choose P2 or not P2 again, I would get P2 again thousand times over. That's just for the C350 though.

Folding seats are just that awesome. For the price you're going to pay for the C300+P1+P2, you may want to look at the C350 with P2. There is very little price difference between them.
The P2 package includes everything in P1. The price difference between P1 & P2 is $1400. If you put in an aftermarket Xenon setup, deduct that. Somebody quoted $820 and if that's accurate, the difference becomes $580 and for that you would give up all the desirable items in P2?

It's one thing if it's a stripper lease car and the only thing that matters is a rock bottom payment because it will be gone in two years, but if it's a purchase that you will be living with for an extended period, cutting corners will be something you will regret in the future.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes C300 Sport, BMW 745Li, VW Mk6 Golf TDI
P1, MM, and just get an HID aftermarket kit, then call it a day. You should only be spending $3-400 on an HID kit (high, low, and fogs) installed if you go DDM. Anything more and you're probably gettin ripped off depending on region.

If you're local to socal, DDM Tuning is having a show/gathering/party in March and would be a great opportunity to work out deals directly with them.

Also, if you need to pick up anything big enough to require folding rear seats, UHaul trucks are only $20 a day.

Last edited by Azn_C300; 02-23-2010 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 C63, 2009 C3004M
Originally Posted by RLE
The P2 package includes everything in P1. The price difference between P1 & P2 is $1400. If you put in an aftermarket Xenon setup, deduct that. Somebody quoted $820 and if that's accurate, the difference becomes $580 and for that you would give up all the desirable items in P2?

It's one thing if it's a stripper lease car and the only thing that matters is a rock bottom payment because it will be gone in two years, but if it's a purchase that you will be living with for an extended period, cutting corners will be something you will regret in the future.
Well said. Consider this, if you're seeing the end of the car's service date in the near future (1-2 years), what's the point of paying the extras to "rent" those options? Otherwise, if it's going to serve you indefinitely, you should try your best to get all the options: a couple of thousand dollars extra is just way easier to swallow than regretting something you don't have but wish you had got it in the first place.

Oh and in regards to the folding seat, speaking from experience, I've used it three times, to carry: 1) 50" Samsung Plasma from Best Buy; 2) TV stand up to 60" from Best Buy; and 3) 7' prairie willow from a tree farm. It's one of those things that comes into play occasionally but is priceless whenever you realize that you actually have it as an option.

Last edited by coolvi; 02-23-2010 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Folding seats
Old 02-23-2010, 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
I too was in a similar predicament. When I was looking for my c300 I was torn between getting a great deal on a left-over 2009 4matic with P1 in my color, or getting a 2010 with my choice... I came from an infiniti g37 with bi-xenon lights, they were nice, but the Mercedes halogens (p1) aren't bad at all, much better than gf's honda's...

They are definitely bright enough and not much of a difference to warrant almost $1,400 difference for factory HID. If you need the rear folding seats, thats a different story, rear shade is cool, but just another thing to break and tints will do a better job for much cheaper. HOWEVER, the one thing I regret is not getting the MMI. I don't remember if you need P2 to get MMI (flip-up screen and/or nav) but its the only thing I would reconsider. The stock screen definitely is better than other cars with no screen. Ohhh, also, the pano roof I would reconsider, dunno how much that option is...

Lastly, it is possible to install a back-up camera into the MMI head unit, there is a DIY guide available in the forum. Pretty cheap too, under $200 if you install yourself. Ultimately, the choice comes down to you. I chose P1 because I felt that the stock halogens were definitely bright enough. Visit your dealership at dusk or night and test drive both models, see if you can notice the difference. IMO it is very slight and not much different; but formulate your own opinion, your the one who has to live with the car...

In summary, when I had my xenons in my Infiniti, it was a PITA the see in the rain and fog, halogens on the benz do this much better. They aren't normal yellow halogens, they seem much brighter (whiter). Also, cheap way of getting around this is to install the 6000k lumens Philips Extreme headlights (Only available in EU, can buy on ebay for like $50 shipped for the pair, and are easy to replace.) They are halogens that have same light output of HID. I was thinking about going HID aftermarket but figured out it wasn't worth it, voids warranty, don't wanna mess anything up with headlights, and aren't as good as the "real deal". Save the $1,400 and put it aside for the Service A & B and fixing your fog lights when they crack... (Invest in some lamin-x fog and headlight covers, you can tint or put on clear ones $20 for fogs or $55 for fogs and headlights)

Let us know how you make out, welcome to the forums!

Last edited by jctevere; 02-23-2010 at 10:03 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2009 C350
If it makes you feel any better. My sister doesn't have P2. I do. We both have the same car. (Except hers is an 08 C350 and mines an 09). She changed her bulbs to tinted Halogens and honestly, her light output is completely fine. I think they're just as good as my Bi-Xenons (especially after I changed em to 6000k D1S bulbs. Lumen loss :[.) Maybe even a tad better since her bulbs are 5000k.

But in all honestly. The folding rear seats are SOOOOO worth it.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
None
I would get the P2 just for the Xenons and the Folding Rear Seats. I actually do not really want the items in P1. It is ridiculous the Mercedes is making you get everything in P1 if you really just want that one option in P2. They should at least make Xenons available as a standalone since it is so common in luxury cars.