C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Ticket for tinted windows

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c350
Ticket for tinted windows

So yah title says it best, been getting harassed lately bout my windows and no front plate..so stupid, but any ways does anyone here have a doctors prescription for tinted windows? Im trying to get one later this week and wanted to know more about it.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:30 PM

None
Originally Posted by envyxc350
So yah title says it best, been getting harassed lately bout my windows and no front plate..so stupid, but any ways does anyone here have a doctors prescription for tinted windows? Im trying to get one later this week and wanted to know more about it.
Never heard about that before. What % tint do you have and what state are you in? Is this to protect you from UV rays?

Last edited by Cclassfan; 03-04-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
Most states have laws against "excessive" tinting. I have never really heard of anyone getting ticketed unless they are running limo black, or something close, all around. What is your % transmission?
Old 03-04-2010, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
Hey Envy, just saw pics of your car in the lowering spring thread...you would easily get a ticket here in Atlanta.
With the variety of quality sunglasses on the market these days, I doubt an opthamologist could truly justify your needing tinted windows...but you never know. You could try a dermatologist but unless you are albino, sunscreen will likely be the answer. What is your angle with the Doc?

Last edited by C300Sport; 03-04-2010 at 06:11 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:36 PM

08 w204
in jersey, no matter what the percentage is, it's illegal in the front drover's and passengers windows... i have heard of the not from a dr. that you might be able to get away with... but, it all has to do with the cop who pulls you over
Old 03-04-2010, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
As far as the ticket. In NYS where I live it is usually a fix-it ticket. What I do is I have my bud who installed my tinted windows write up a receipt for window-tint removal and send it in. I have never heard of a prescription for tinted windows and I doubt you will get one or have a cop believe you. If you get pulled over a lot I think 3M has a tint that when the cop scans it, shows no tint on the window, but it is darker and blocks out UV and heat.

As far as the no front license plate, in my state I need one too. The way some people get around this is to have it displayed in their front windshield. I also think you can buy a bracket that hooks around the lower grille of your car and latches to the license plate so that you don't have to drill holes in your car... I am sure a google search should turn up some results...
Old 03-04-2010, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
The physician exemption depends where you live. Here is an excerpt from the State of Michigan website:

TINTED WINDOWS Question: Can I have tinted windows on my vehicle?
Answer: The law that covers window applications is MCL 257.709 . The use of tinting is limited to the rear side windows, the rear window if the vehicle has outside mirrors on both sides, and the top 4 inches of the front side windows. There is a limited exception for medical necessity with a doctor's prescription, which allows for tinting to be applied to the front side windows as well. Michigan does not have a specification for the darkness of the window application, but does prohibit applications with a solar reflectivity greater than 35%.

Question: If I have a signed letter by my doctor indicating a medical necessity for tinted windows can another person drive my vehicle if the windows are tinted?
Answer: MCL 257.709(3)(e) allows for front side window tinting with "...a letter signed by a physician or optometrist, indicating that the special window treatment or application is a medical necessity. However, the special window treatment or application shall not interfere with or obstruct the driver's clear vision of the highway or an intersecting highway." A vehicle equipped with such tinting could not legally be driven by a person other than the person to whom the letter was given.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:00 PM

c350
My tint is 20%, you can see perfectly out nothing hidden, especially in Cali since we have so much sun. i always drive with the sunroof open/tilted and that lets even more light in. I live in a small town where everyone knows everyone so the police know me and know that im not a criminal or trying to hide anything. I guess he was just getting his quota luckily my uncle is a CHP so ill have it written off..but still its really silly that you can have tinted windows in Flordia/Arizona but not here -_-. But I've read online that you can get a prescription for sensitive skin/eyes and that the bright lights give you headaches. So ill try that.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C300 Sport Black Darth V3.0
20% is dark. Try for a lesser tint on the fronts I have 50% and have never been hassled.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63
I've gotten 7 fix-it tickets for windows/ front plate... i don't plan on changing my habits.

Tell the cop you have xeroderma pigmentosum or get a letter from your doc
Old 03-04-2010, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 Color: 090 / 1999 Honda Civic EX / 2003 Acura TL
its basically all on the cop who pulls you over. He can let you go or give you a ticket.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:39 AM

07 E63. 07 STi limited #606/800
i got pulled over when i had my black e350, all my windows besides windshield were tinted 20% and in cali thats illegal.

i bull****ted the cop and told him i couldn't get any sun or uv rays on my skin graft from when i was injured in iraq.

i think he didn't believe it but let me go because of my situation and found out i wasn't a thug/gangster/criminal.

cause when you see an all blacked out benz rollin downtown you think, DRIVE BY!
Old 03-05-2010, 01:34 PM

c350
Hah you wouldn't believe me, but I've been pulled over before leaving my GF town and the officer said "Do you know why im pulling you over"? me: no. Cop: "Well we had some gang activity in the area and I saw the Benz leaving". I didnt know what to say, i didnt know homies rolled around in benz and bimmers haha

Im gunna go with the note from a doctor, and just pay the 50$ fix it ugh.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E350
Originally Posted by envyxc350
My tint is 20%, you can see perfectly out nothing hidden, especially in Cali since we have so much sun. i always drive with the sunroof open/tilted and that lets even more light in. I live in a small town where everyone knows everyone so the police know me and know that im not a criminal or trying to hide anything. I guess he was just getting his quota luckily my uncle is a CHP so ill have it written off..but still its really silly that you can have tinted windows in Flordia/Arizona but not here -_-. But I've read online that you can get a prescription for sensitive skin/eyes and that the bright lights give you headaches. So ill try that.

HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN CALIFORNIA?
Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In California, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.

Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 4 inches of the windshield.
Front Side Windows Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Back Side Windows Any darkness can be used.
Rear Window Any darkness can be used.

HOW REFLECTIVE CAN THE TINT BE IN CALIFORNIA?
Similar to sunglass lenses, some tinting film contain metallic elements that help in reflecting incoming light and reducing the glare and heat generated by visible light.

Front Side Windows Must not be more reflective than a standard window.
Back Side Windows Must not be more reflective than a standard window.

OTHER CALIFORNIA RULES AND REGULATIONS

Restricted Colors: The tint color(s) of RED AMBER BLUE are not legal by state law.

Side Mirrors: Dual side mirrors are required if back window is tinted.

Certificate Requirements: Manufacturers of film do NOT need to certify the film they sell in the state.

Sticker Requirements: No sticker to identify legal tinting is required.

Medical Exemption: State law does NOT allow medical exemptions that would allow you use special tint.

http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/CA/

Last edited by chokaay; 03-05-2010 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:18 PM

'10 C300 Sport
I make it a habit to roll down my front windows before passing a cop on town streets. I've got 35% tints only on the sides and back so in daylight you can still see us, especially because enough light gets through the front. One time I did turn onto a street where a cop was using a radar gun on the main road... turned and passed by him with 35% and he didn't do anything so I felt lucky... on the way out of the street I rolled down both windows.

This is in NY... usually pretty strict.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:35 PM
glw

2008 C350
Exclamation

Originally Posted by chokaay
HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN CALIFORNIA?
Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In California, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.

Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 4 inches of the windshield.
Front Side Windows Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Back Side Windows Any darkness can be used.
Rear Window Any darkness can be used.

HOW REFLECTIVE CAN THE TINT BE IN CALIFORNIA?
Similar to sunglass lenses, some tinting film contain metallic elements that help in reflecting incoming light and reducing the glare and heat generated by visible light.

Front Side Windows Must not be more reflective than a standard window.
Back Side Windows Must not be more reflective than a standard window.

OTHER CALIFORNIA RULES AND REGULATIONS

Restricted Colors: The tint color(s) of RED AMBER BLUE are not legal by state law.

Side Mirrors: Dual side mirrors are required if back window is tinted.

Certificate Requirements: Manufacturers of film do NOT need to certify the film they sell in the state.

Sticker Requirements: No sticker to identify legal tinting is required.

Medical Exemption: State law does NOT allow medical exemptions that would allow you use special tint.

http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/CA/
this information is very wrong for ca 2010! see vehicle code - Division 12, Chapter 4, Section 26708

Examples:
26708. (a) (1) A person shall not drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows.

26708. (b) (10) Sun screening devices meeting the requirements of Section 26708.2 installed on the side windows on either side of the vehicle's front seat, if the driver or a passenger in the front seat has in his or her possession a letter or other document signed by a licensed physician and surgeon certifying that the person must be shaded from the sun due to a medical condition, or has in his or her possession a letter or other document signed by a licensed optometrist certifying that the person must be shaded from the sun due to a visual condition. The devices authorized by this paragraph shall not be used during darkness.

basically, 26708 a1-3 state that nothing is allowed. 26708 b1-12 are general exceptions to a1-3, c1-4 are windshield strip exceptions, d1-5 are front side window exceptions (clear, colorless, transparent with VLT 88% [70% with glazing]; installers compliance certification, no bubbles).

a1 seems to hold the driver responsible - so it may be a moving violation...