C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Ever leave your key in the car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 12:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E350 4 Matic
Ever leave your key in the car?

One day I accidently left my key in the car (nothing happened) which made me realize that i never heard any audio reminder. Does our car have an audio warning when the key is left in the ignition? Similar to lights being left on?

Thx

Last edited by 2nice4me; 03-22-2010 at 12:56 AM.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2006 C350 Sport 6MT
Originally Posted by 2nice4me
One day I accidently left my key in the car (nothing happened) which made me realize that i never heard any audio reminder. Does our car have an audio warning when the key is left in the ignition? Similar to lights being left on?

Thx
Yup, it should the 203 does, i'm sure the 204 should also.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:11 AM

\
It not only has an audio reminder, but it should say REMOVE KEY FROM IGNITION on your dash.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
Yea, i second the visual reminder and audio reminder... However, one really annoything thing about our cars... You get out with your key, close the door, hit the lock button, realize you need something from the trunk, take something out of the trunk while putting down your keys in the trunk and then all of a sudden. Wham! you close the trunk with the keys still in the trunk and you hear the dreadful 3 beeps, meaning that your dumb *** just locked yourself out of the car...

MB should have a fix for this... When you press the trunk release button it should unlock the car, or at least the trunk... My older Infiniti with the smart key detected if the key was in the car, let alone in the trunk, and would not lock if it was...

Anyone else agree?
Old 03-22-2010, 09:56 PM

2011 E350 4 Matic
Originally Posted by Peabody
It not only has an audio reminder, but it should say REMOVE KEY FROM IGNITION on your dash.
So your car actually does both? is there some setting somewhere? its not in the steering wheel menu option...
Old 03-22-2010, 11:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C63 AMG
Yeah it should have a note on your dash that says "Remove Key From Ignition" and have an audible but not too loud bong. I have Keyless GO though, if you leave the key inside the car, it won't lock. If I leave it in the trunk, it won't lock either. I use this when I wash my car because the wand wash and hand mitt to wash the car usually triggers the car to lock. Leaving the key inside prevents this from happening so you don't keep locking and unlocking your car as you wash.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
2017 E300
you get one beep when you open the door with the key in the ignition.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:19 PM

2011 E350 4 Matic
Originally Posted by joshg1001
you get one beep when you open the door with the key in the ignition.
Thanks all! mine doesnt do that and I checked the manual (guess i should have before hand ) and it does say it should warn me.

Trip to the dealer soon
Old 03-23-2010, 10:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
Well, it does one beep and thats all if the car is on and the key is in the ignition. But, it should, if the key is in the ignition and in the off position (1st position, not turned), then it should have an audible alarm such as the lights left on with the screen where the speedometer is reading "Please remove key from ignition".
Old 03-24-2010, 04:10 AM

C350 4-matic
i think its more of a bing than a beep haha...then the screen says "remove key from ignition"

Originally Posted by jctevere
However, one really annoything thing about our cars... You get out with your key, close the door, hit the lock button, realize you need something from the trunk, take something out of the trunk while putting down your keys in the trunk and then all of a sudden. Wham! you close the trunk with the keys still in the trunk and you hear the dreadful 3 beeps, meaning that your dumb *** just locked yourself out of the car...
LOL for dreadful scenario
Old 03-24-2010, 09:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GLK 350 4M (Iridium Silver), 2010 E350 Coupe (Iridium Silver)
Yea, i second the visual reminder and audio reminder... However, one really annoything thing about our cars... You get out with your key, close the door, hit the lock button, realize you need something from the trunk, take something out of the trunk while putting down your keys in the trunk and then all of a sudden. Wham! you close the trunk with the keys still in the trunk and you hear the dreadful 3 beeps, meaning that your dumb *** just locked yourself out of the car...

MB should have a fix for this... When you press the trunk release button it should unlock the car, or at least the trunk... My older Infiniti with the smart key detected if the key was in the car, let alone in the trunk, and would not lock if it was...

Anyone else agree?

Disagree. We'd just be complaining about having to lock the trunk every tmie we opened it then
I think the current 'logic' makes sense.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:01 PM

2009 C200K
Mine do not warn at all !!
Old 03-26-2010, 03:55 PM

2008 MB C300 Sport (Mars Red)
... Anybody see that "Blonde-Star" commercial?
Old 04-07-2010, 11:52 AM

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
GLA45 AMG, GLC43 AMG

Anyone else agree?
If you have the key less entry, and you leave your key in the trunk, and close it, the trunk will just re-open, it will not stay closed until you remove the key, you can then close the trunk.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:16 PM

09' E350 AMG Sport, 09' C300, 03' Honda S2K

Anyone else agree?

Happen to me the other day, had to tell my wife to drive to my work and give me the spare keys.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:20 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Keys

Originally Posted by 2nice4me

Thx
I can beat that. Last year some time, one evening I was dinking around with nav programming with the key in the accessory position and forgot to pull it out when I was finished.

The next morning the battery was flatter than Kansas. Luckily I have a good battery charger with a start function.

A few stored codes which went away pretty quickly.

Stupid.