C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

best gas station? (Toronto)

Old 03-29-2010, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300
best gas station? (Toronto)

Hey guys, just wondering which is the best gas to use? (located in Toronto, Canada). I've heard that Shell is bad and can knock out sensors on a benz...while i've heard Esso/Petro gas doesn't burn as cleanly.

Any recommendations? Thx
Old 03-29-2010, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
While I live in the United States, my answer is good logic to keep throughout any state/country/etc... The best gas station to use is every gas station. The gas itself in any local area is pretty much coming from the local pipe yard and loaded into trucks. BUT, what sets the various gas stations apart are the additives they use. The best thing to do would be to use one brand of gas for around 3,000 miles, then switch to another brand, while choosing from 3 top brands. For example, in the U.S. I use BP, Shell and Mobil (all their top line of gas). This way after around 3,000mi, any residue left behind that started to build up from the brand of gas used will be cleaned by the new additives. That is why you use top competitors like BP, Shell, or Mobil because you know for sure that they use different additives.

The best way to compare it would be to bacterial resistance. If you use one brand of soap or antibiotic your entire life, it will end up becoming ineffective after a while. This is because while it may be good in the beginiing and kill 98% or 99% of bacteria, the 1 or 2% left behind that was resistant genetically to the soap and antibiotic reproduce and now the problem is multiplied infinitely over time until the soap/antibiotic is no longer effective.

In a way, the gas additive will clean out the engine pretty well, but doesn't get everything, and what it neglects to clean or pick-up will build-up over time and be bad for the engine. That is why you change every 3,000mi, because around that time is when gunk can start to build up from people I know who work in the oil field.

Personally, I like Shell V-power where I live because on average I get the best mileage over BP and Mobil, but again, I switch every 3,000 miles. To each's own though huh?

Sorry for rant, hope I helped! lol
Old 03-29-2010, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Coming at this from a different perspective, consider the age of the gas station and the volume of business. Newer tanks in the ground are likely to have less contaminated fuel pumped out. Also, high volume stations don't have gas hanging around for longer times, with condensation mixing with the gasoline. For these reasons, I make the choice, which surprises many, to use Costco. Stations/tanks are new, flow rates are high, filtration is replaced frequently. To make up for Costco not being a Tier One gasoline (google and read about that...has to do with additive packages), I use one bottle of Texaco Techron every 3000 miles. However, if we had a well maintained and high volume Texaco station nearby, with Techron already in it, I might consider that.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:32 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Techron

Originally Posted by Sportstick
Coming at this from a different perspective, consider the age of the gas station and the volume of business. Newer tanks in the ground are likely to have less contaminated fuel pumped out. Also, high volume stations don't have gas hanging around for longer times, with condensation mixing with the gasoline. For these reasons, I make the choice, which surprises many, to use Costco. Stations/tanks are new, flow rates are high, filtration is replaced frequently. To make up for Costco not being a Tier One gasoline (google and read about that...has to do with additive packages), I use one bottle of Texaco Techron every 3000 miles. However, if we had a well maintained and high volume Texaco station nearby, with Techron already in it, I might consider that.
Two things:

Bosch has long recommended no more than two Techron applications per oil change because it gets into the engine oil.

Finding a station whose premium fuel doesn't contain ethanol, and they do exist, will mean more power and better fuel economy.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Good to know....did not see that in any discussions from Mercedes, who actually identified Techron as one of two recommended products. I wouldn't expect significant deterioration by moving that Techron schedule from 3,000 to 5,000 miles, as oil goes at 10,000 (or one year). Thanks!

Last edited by Sportstick; 03-29-2010 at 07:08 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:54 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
'20 Targa 4 DD, ' 18 Volvo S60 T6
You want to go with whoever has the newest refinery, latest ($100MN++) upgrade - Petrocan 94 is the best in MTL so far as I can tell.