C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

what the hell is MB-TEX? fake leather?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB w204 C300 Sport, Audi B7 A4 2.0TQ, Porsche Cayman 981
I posted pics of my leather interior a while back:

https://mbworld.org/forums/2744486-post5.html

And for a quick comparison of the door panels:

https://mbworld.org/forums/3598104-post41.html
Old 03-31-2010, 06:28 PM

C300
Originally Posted by itcrashed

well right off the bat you can tell the stitching in the real leather. altough black might be harder to see, my beamer had the stitching. I am starting to have second guesses about this car. like it just pisses me off that this is suppose to be a classy company but its like they make the car so cheap just to sell the name. of course the name means something, but dont sugar coat it. thanks for the pics by the way.

I havnt signed anything and i am gonna take a look at the car more closely tomorrow before i do. I didnt notice this stuff because we took a different car out for the test drive but now i feel more informed.

I mean the car is stickered at 42k, i am getting it for about 40k and all this makes it iffy. my beamer was around 40k (high 39k) and it came with leather, folding seats, bi-xenons and was manual. i am trading all these for what? and whats the deal with no manual, they dont have 1 freakin car in manual? i hate automatic, its not as responsive as manual. even if their transmition is kick ***. i guess i ll have to play with the +/- but no clutch. damn
Old 03-31-2010, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
We each have to decide our own pro/con list....I bought it for engineering and performance, not interior appearance, which I think is fine....not amazing, but fine. But, on the issue of manual trans, did your dealer do a locator search? No dealers near me had a C300 stick in stock when I wanted to buy, but there were 10 in a 5 state area around us. Mine was ultimately trucked from Minnesota to Michigan...took one day extra. Your dealer may be trying to move one of his existing units. If he won't do a search for a stick, check another dealer...I had to talk to 2 dealers before finding one who would take the time to use the MB locator system. Manual is about a 3-5% runner, so you will have a rare car once you find it!
Old 03-31-2010, 07:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
C350 Elegance
Lightbulb

The MB Tex is the equivalent of BMW Artic upholstery. Both call it leather but they are genuine imitation leather of tip top synthetic fabric extruded into a film from vinyl, with or without artificial pores done by mechanical perforation and then cut to appealing seat designs and hemmed with electrical fusion. The results conquered a large number of followers, mainly choosers for practical reasons or people who just wish the name plate as low priced as possible.

This fact aside, the "traditional" Mercedes dilettante prefers to order his car with leather upholstery and other selected options that make the car a true ride in luxury and distinctive technical vanguard pleasure. Nevertheless, for the basic taxi units in E class is probably a good choice.

The use of the onomatopoeic "hell", though done in ignorance, is highly symbolic of where I would like to place the oxymoronic "Tex leather" rather than in a luxury car. However, in this day and age it is the downgrading of class and quality what prevails over getting a better made item if it implies paying for a higher value. Anybody got matches handy?
Old 03-31-2010, 08:52 PM

2010 C 300
I like the C interior with MB Tex. Seats, door panels and dash are all well designed, understated, and better looking IMHO that competitors
Old 03-31-2010, 09:19 PM

C300
Originally Posted by Sportstick
We each have to decide our own pro/con list....I bought it for engineering and performance, not interior appearance, which I think is fine....not amazing, but fine. But, on the issue of manual trans, did your dealer do a locator search? No dealers near me had a C300 stick in stock when I wanted to buy, but there were 10 in a 5 state area around us. Mine was ultimately trucked from Minnesota to Michigan...took one day extra. Your dealer may be trying to move one of his existing units. If he won't do a search for a stick, check another dealer...I had to talk to 2 dealers before finding one who would take the time to use the MB locator system. Manual is about a 3-5% runner, so you will have a rare car once you find it!

i actually had another dealership check and he said he couldnt find anything, it would have to be built, and this was over the phone, so he knew he wasnt getting a sale unless he could find a stick cause i told him i am 1 day away from signing with another dealership.

he checked as far down as florida and as west as nevada he said
Old 03-31-2010, 09:20 PM

C300
Originally Posted by Joearch
I like the C interior with MB Tex. Seats, door panels and dash are all well designed, understated, and better looking IMHO that competitors

I hope your right! i mean it looked and felt good in the test drive, but i was unaware that it was extra for leather
Old 03-31-2010, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by Stucazzo
i actually had another dealership check and he said he couldnt find anything, it would have to be built, and this was over the phone, so he knew he wasnt getting a sale unless he could find a stick cause i told him i am 1 day away from signing with another dealership.

he checked as far down as florida and as west as nevada he said
I believe you.....I'm just having a very hard time believing him. Normally, due to shipping costs, a dealer won't check that far away, so I'm not sure he really did what he said, and perhaps was trying to impress you for some reason that I can't discern. Try calling a large dealer in a couple of major cities and check yourself if you are that motivated, and ask them to also do the locator while you are on the phone. If they all come up with the same answer, then the small number of sticks have been cleaned out already. MB may need to take up the mix!
Old 03-31-2010, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 Carrara White Metallic Porsche Cayman
Originally Posted by Stucazzo
I hope your right! i mean it looked and felt good in the test drive, but i was unaware that it was extra for leather
I doubt the car you test drove had leather. Very few Cs have leather.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 S210 3.8L Brabus wagon
What! No xenons?! That's a give away
Old 03-31-2010, 11:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 S210 3.8L Brabus wagon
Seriously the MB Tex is a great product and actually preferred for its very long life and good looks in older age. the leather does stretch and crack and wear with time and then looks it age. Leather requires good maintenance and frequent upkeep to stay looking close to new. The end of the day says its a matter of preference, yours. Good luck with the choices.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
09' E350 AMG Sport, 09' C300, 03' Honda S2K
I clean and condition the leather with my two othe cars, and Vinylex the seats and interior in my C. It just makes me feel good that I am also conditioning my interior also even though MBtex probably dont need it. lol. Keeps it nice and black.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C300 Sport/Palladium Silver on Black/P2
MB Tex is *nice*.

I have MB Tex in C and leather in SLK. The MB Tex I'm just as happy with.

Indeed, if you compare MB Tex to leather in say a cheap American car, the MB Tex blows away the leather in a cheap American car, which actually feels more like plastic than the MB Tex.

The MB Tex is a quality material. It also does not require the raising and killing of an animal.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts
2017 E300
Originally Posted by itcrashed

haha thats my mb tex door panel! lol
Old 04-01-2010, 09:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 E300 4MATIC Sedan
Originally Posted by Sportstick
I believe you.....I'm just having a very hard time believing him. Normally, due to shipping costs, a dealer won't check that far away, so I'm not sure he really did what he said, and perhaps was trying to impress you for some reason that I can't discern. Try calling a large dealer in a couple of major cities and check yourself if you are that motivated, and ask them to also do the locator while you are on the phone. If they all come up with the same answer, then the small number of sticks have been cleaned out already. MB may need to take up the mix!
Just did a quick search on AutoTrader and it looks like there are a ton of new manual C Classes available. I'm not sure where the OP is located, but Hoehn Mercedes in Carlsbad CA is showing 28 in stock, Mercedes of Houston Greenway is showing 16 in stock, and Mercedes Benz of Houston North is showing 12 in stock, Mike Smith Autoplex in Beaumont TX is showing 9 in stock, and Euro Motorcars in Bethesda, MD is showing 6 in stock.

Nick