C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

How picky are you with nicks, dings, and scratches?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 C300 4M
How picky are you with nicks, dings, and scratches?

I am very particular about my car and how it looks (nicks, dings, scratches etc...) but was wondering what your threshold is before bringing the car in to get them fixed.

Had the car interior detailed today, and when I brought the car home, took out the winter mats that were in the trunk to only notice there were two small, yet very noticeable, nicks in the bumper. Small chunks out of the bumper revealing white on Tenorite Grey (Steel Grey in US).

They were definitely not there this morning prior to dropping the car off.
I did mention it to the detailer, to be told, to call the owner in the morning.

Anyhow, anyone have an idea how much MB dealership would charge to fix minor nicks like these?
Old 04-12-2010, 08:20 PM

C250 12 / CLK63 BS / ML63 09 / GTR 2012
Drives my nuts.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts
2017 E300
they bother me too, but I dont get it fixed until someone hits me. haha
Old 04-12-2010, 08:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C350 Sport
Originally Posted by MartinGLK
I am very particular about my car and how it looks (nicks, dings, scratches etc...) but was wondering what your threshold is before bringing the car in to get them fixed.

Had the car interior detailed today, and when I brought the car home, took out the winter mats that were in the trunk to only notice there were two small, yet very noticeable, nicks in the bumper. Small chunks out of the bumper revealing white on Tenorite Grey (Steel Grey in US).

Anyhow, anyone have an idea how much MB dealership would charge to fix minor nicks like these?
This is why I detail my own car...I seriously don't trust anyone else working on my cars since they don't give a damn. They make the same money no matter what so they don't care if they screw up your car. I would demand that they fix it at their cost or threaten to get a lawyer involved.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2009 C350
Originally Posted by MBnewby
This is why I detail my own car...I seriously don't trust anyone else working on my cars since they don't give a damn. They make the same money no matter what so they don't care if they screw up your car. I would demand that they fix it at their cost or threaten to get a lawyer involved.
Likewise. I have yet to even go near a gas station car wash since the time I bought my car. I hand wash it myself every week or so. If I even get a dent, I will probably throw quite a fit. You should have seen me when my friend scratched my car. He ran by my car and the keys attached to his hip with a carabiner scraped the side...I got most of the scratches to disappear with some good polish...but there's still one that's prevalent. It irks me every time I detail my car.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:50 PM

C300
I get everything fixed right away.. I can't stand any blemishes. Especially on the exterior. My ding guy loves me.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:56 PM

C300 Luxury
My dealer washed and waxed my car a couple services ago and they got a really series of scratches along the trim on my windows, I don't even let the dealer touch my car anymore. There's a mall nearby that I go to a lot with a garage that's 2$ parking or a lot that's 7$, I got a scratch in the garage the week after I got my car. I've never even gone close to there again, I hate having a scratch, it drives me freaking crazy!
Old 04-12-2010, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes C300 Sport, BMW 745Li, VW Mk6 Golf TDI
My body shop loves me (and thinks I'm crazy) cause I bring it in for every minor blemish that might come up. I detail and polish my own car. It's an obsession, but I guess better than being hooked on blow.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:37 PM

'09 C300 4M
Originally Posted by ldtCapitan
My dealer washed and waxed my car a couple services ago and they got a really series of scratches along the trim on my windows, I don't even let the dealer touch my car anymore.
I hear you on the dealership situation. I brought it in some weeks ago because I started smelling some burning (turns out it was a plastic bag stuck on the left cat). Anyhow, they removed the bag at no charge, and then as a courtesy, gave it a wash. Started seeing some swirls on the trunk and was pissed cuz up until that time I had used touchless car washes only.

Whether I make a fuss about it tomorrow with the owner depends how much it costs to remedy. I really just want him to acknowledge that his shop did it in some way.

In fact I will give him a feedback sandwich, something to this nature:

1. I was very pleased with the interior detail - good work.
2. However, car was given back with these two noticeable nicks on the rear bumper. Just wanted to give you a heads-up.
3. Again I am very pleased with the interior work, topnotch, and will be coming back here and refer friends and family.

From there we'll see how he reacts and will let him come up with something.

Seriously though, I'm glad I'm not the only one who obsesses (in a good way) over what might be perceived by others as minor nicks/dings/scratches.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:07 PM

2008 C 300 sport
I hate it as well, but unfortunately I live in NYC (I'm assuming most of the guys & girls here live in the suburbs with private parking) only stating the fact, because of the comments of washing, detailing (live in apt & no private area to do any of that) parking in certain garages (haha try Manhattan street parking). Living in the city it is a ritual to get dings & scratches fixed before the spring/summer weather. I have a bumper rubber guard thing, that helps a lot & for those who complain about having a front license plate...that's my front bumper protection!!!lol But that is the price you pay for living in NYC. There is no way I can can keep up with the kind of care with most on this forum, I have the car washed & detailed @ a few car washes that I have come to accept &/or @ local MB dealership & just accept it. As long as there are no major issues.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:39 PM
Niti24

Originally Posted by duck718nyc
I hate it as well, but unfortunately I live in NYC (I'm assuming most of the guys & girls here live in the suburbs with private parking) only stating the fact, because of the comments of washing, detailing (live in apt & no private area to do any of that) parking in certain garages (haha try Manhattan street parking). Living in the city it is a ritual to get dings & scratches fixed before the spring/summer weather. I have a bumper rubber guard thing, that helps a lot & for those who complain about having a front license plate...that's my front bumper protection!!!lol But that is the price you pay for living in NYC. There is no way I can can keep up with the kind of care with most on this forum, I have the car washed & detailed @ a few car washes that I have come to accept &/or @ local MB dealership & just accept it. As long as there are no major issues.
I just had the car waxed and polished, took the car home, parked in the street, about five min later I came back out to get something out of my car, a lady from Jersey hit my car. I hate not having a parking lot. The monthly parking is about $400/month, a wee bit too much. The bumper guard does nothing. If the car is not washed, it rubs while the other car hits it, and caused the dirt to scratch the car. Either way, my car gets scratched. Hate the city!
Old 04-12-2010, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 Color: 090 / 1999 Honda Civic EX / 2003 Acura TL
i am very picky with my car. I always wax it and wipe it down with a Microfiber
Old 04-13-2010, 03:18 AM

C300 4Matic Sport, Alfa Romeo Spider (in HK)
Just discover a dent today.....now i look at it all the time....
Its so hard to wash the car in college dorms, I wish theres a car wash spot for it...
Old 04-13-2010, 03:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
I prefer to hand wash my car but when its really cold outside and the car is just too dirty, I'll run it through a car wash.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08 MB
Originally Posted by MartinGLK

If you are super **** the bumper needs to be repainted to be flawless and that runs around $400-500 from my experience. Other than that you can only use various touch up paints for nicks/chips which helps but still noticeable.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:55 AM

2009 C350, 2008 X5 4.8i
yea they used to bother me a lot. Then I figured its a car that you drive on the road along with 18-wheelers and construction trucks, pickups etc. I just wash the car by myself because car washers will kill it and I am just glad that its leased and in the end of 3 years I will have another one. lol
Old 04-13-2010, 10:43 AM

2016 C63, 2009 C3004M
The first time it happens, the mindset may be a little different if you actually bought it out 'cause when I discovered there was a door ding with a small dent on my passenger side within the first two months, it bothered me for a long time even after the fact that the dent dude promised to get 95% and he got pretty close. But some time later I got over it, I'm a lot more at ease now when I think about such things. It's a process in the end.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
Enjoy your car!

It used to bother me a lot. I never drove it the winter and barely in the summer to avoid blemishes. This winter my daily gave out, so I put snow tires on my C and started driving it. Yes I have some fine detailing and cleaning to do.

I was worse with my last car. Although I babied it and stored it in the winter, when it came time to sell it, it was only worth what every other car of the same year, model and mileage and was worth. That may provide little to no comfort, but it is undeniable.

I know we all like to have pristine cars. I was to a point that drove other people nuts. I didn't care. It was a little crazy. I will still get another car to share duties with my C (or whatever car I have in the future). I must admit, however, that it was very liberating to drive my C in the winter and resign to the fact that it is a car not a steel and plastic sculpter. When it wears out, I will get another one.

I do have a lot of clear bra installed though, and my paintless dent guy is still on my speed dial.

It would be nice if all cars had a matte finish. At least one issue would be eliminated.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C300 Sport, MM, P1
It pisses me off every time I find something, but unless its major, I just forget about it and move on. It's impossible to keep up with all the nicks and scratches.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:48 AM

2009 C350, 2008 X5 4.8i
Originally Posted by Niti24
I just had the car waxed and polished, took the car home, parked in the street, about five min later I came back out to get something out of my car, a lady from Jersey hit my car. I hate not having a parking lot. The monthly parking is about $400/month, a wee bit too much. The bumper guard does nothing. If the car is not washed, it rubs while the other car hits it, and caused the dirt to scratch the car. Either way, my car gets scratched. Hate the city!
Is the lady from Jersey still breathing?
Old 04-13-2010, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes C300 Sport, BMW 745Li, VW Mk6 Golf TDI
Originally Posted by getno
Its so hard to wash the car in college dorms, I wish theres a car wash spot for it...
For college dorms (and any apartment for that matter), if you don't want to go to those coin up pressure washer bays, take a look at Optimum No Rinse (OPT ONR). This is an absolutely amazing product and well recognized and used by pro detailers. No more need for a hose.

http://www.detailedimage.com/Optimum...P444/128oz-S2/
http://www.detailersdomain.com/optim...ne1gallon.aspx
http://www.autogeek.net/opnoriwash12.html
Old 04-13-2010, 12:26 PM

2008 C 300 sport
@ Niti24, I feel you brother. Your right about the bumper bully guard, but I'll take the lesser of two evils. I would rather some barley noticeable scratches from the guard over some one embedding their front plate or bumper &/or crash bar (damn suv's) into my car. Yeah the fee's for a parking spot is just really not worth it.

@ aekara27 yeah your right about what we are surrounded bye when on the road, amongst other hazard things...

The worst is when you park & get out & realize the space in front or behind you is not quite big enough for another car, but enough for an idiot to try & fit. Call me an bleep bleep or what ever, I just get back in & take up two spots. I know it's not right & I'm not a bad person, but growing up in Queens & Manhattan I've seen it all when it comes to parking. I've seen tanks trying to fit into spots that would only be fit for a mini. Some people just love putting the square peg into the circle slot...lol

Or coming out & seeing kids (if you live in a school district) or people (if you park too close to the bar/club) leaning or sitting on your car (although this has not happened to me, it has happened to friends of mine) I just think, was I that bad or that inconsiderate when I was younger.

Sorry if I was a bit off topic.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
I know where you are coming from Duck... But I have a question for you all:

Even though I am lucky enough to live in the suburbs of Long Island and don't have to worry about parking at my house, I work at a baseball park, where my past car has had 2 hit and runs... I learned my lesson this time around and park in bumble f**k. However, this has not saved me from a ding on my rear passenger side wheel well. It is right on the edge, probably from a baseball and there is no paint damage, I can feel the dent (pretty minor) from the back of the wheel well and it is right where the lip becomes flat and even with the front shiny part of the rim. My question is what would be the best thing to try to pop out the dent without bringing it somewhere?

A buddy of mine said a hairdryer for 2 minutes + holding compressed air can upside down on it until it pops should work, but I worry about spraying liquid nitrogen on my car... That can't be good for the paint. What about the butt of a screwdriver, or if you have any suggestions I'd be open to listening. Thanks!

Last edited by jctevere; 04-13-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:54 PM

C300 Luxury
Originally Posted by getno
There's a car wash place where they have hoses and dryers, I'd recommend bringing your own washes and fluids...I think it's like 10$ per hour. It's on Miller and SW 37th avenue I think...There's also a pro washing place on 8th st and 5th ave northwest if you want to let other people touch your car, my dad goes there all the time.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:14 PM

2012 C63 AMG
Wash, polish (if needed), wax my car myself in the summer every month. Don't do it in the winter given that all of the crap out there will get it dirty right away again. But everytime I do go for a wash, I go to the nearest coin operated wand wash, bring my own microfiber mitt, wheel brushes, wheel cleaner, california blade, and clean towels. I try to go when there isn't much traffic so I can dry inside before I leave to minimize the chance of the water becoming contaminated with dust/dirt on the drive back home. I never let the dealer wash my car for the same reasons as everyone else. It bothers me when there is a ding or chip. Scratches, unless they are down to the primer, it doesn't bother me as a good polish usually takes away any surface scratches. In the spring, I usually take it for a professional detailing as cleaning the interior is a pain in the **** after all of the salt, rocks, water, snow, etc. that gets inside. The extra money you spend every spring is well worth it IMO, they also did a full 3 stage polish, sealant, and wax on the exterior as well as clean the engine bay, protect your trim, polish up your exhaust, etc.

General maintenance and good cleaning practices will usually prevent any noticeable surface scratches and makes life much easier to enjoy your car!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How picky are you with nicks, dings, and scratches?