C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

police dont like my tails

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 12:23 AM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Originally Posted by NJBNZ
As others have said...get yours tinted lighter.

I had a window tinting shop tint my tail lights with that laminex vinyl tint. Not completely black...more like a cherry red. Looks good (IMHO) but still allows plenty of light to shine through.
License, registration and insurance card, please.

Now, about those tail lights.........
Old 04-30-2010, 01:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63
After 3 pages, noone asked to see pics?

Day, Night, on and off brakes please...
Old 04-30-2010, 12:15 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BBS LM's 18's + Kics
it sucks but you cant avoid this one
Old 05-02-2010, 07:34 PM

future W204 owner
i would agree with the ones saying to change tint. gives cops an excuse to pull you over (never good) and like someone else stated, drivers can blame you for a rear end crash.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:56 AM

09' C300 4matic
[QUOTE=C300Sport;4052034]I really wanted to stay away from stereotyping as I don't know anything about you, but...you sound like a fairly young, chronically spoiled, little brat. You seem to have a “rules don't apply to me” attitude and think even if they do, you have connections to place you above everyone else. Like I said, I don't know you and am not accusing you of anything but that is simply how you come across from your posts.

if i wanted a opinion on my attitude i would have set up a thread for that...idk what makes you think you can just comment on someone thread about a vehicle and start harrassing them calling them names....really no need for that. How about you start up a thread where everyone on here can write what they think about you judging from a computer screen?

Last edited by scoonie089; 05-03-2010 at 02:01 AM.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
[QUOTE=scoonie089;4057139]
Originally Posted by C300Sport
I really wanted to stay away from stereotyping as I don't know anything about you, but...you sound like a fairly young, chronically spoiled, little brat. You seem to have a “rules don't apply to me” attitude and think even if they do, you have connections to place you above everyone else. Like I said, I don't know you and am not accusing you of anything but that is simply how you come across from your posts.

if i wanted a opinion on my attitude i would have set up a thread for that...idk what makes you think you can just comment on someone thread about a vehicle and start harrassing them calling them names....really no need for that. How about you start up a thread where everyone on here can write what they think about you judging from a computer screen?
That is exactly why I preceded and ended my message with the caveat that I do not know you and I am not accusing you of anything. I stated my observation on how your posts came across. You could be an elderly female for all I know... Anyhow, I think you have done a great job on your car but think your tailights are a major headache just waiting to happen. If my best friend did the same thing, I would give him hell.
BTW- not sure why you are so pissed at my comment as you have had plenty of others coming out and directly calling you stupid and an idiot??? I really doubt that but still think you are pretty flippant about your limited visibility and the dangers it poses.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:29 AM

2009 CL63, 2013 GL550
Originally Posted by scoonie089
Dude,
You are the one who posted on the internet about getting busted for tinted tails. What were you expecting? A bunch of people saying "Darn, that sucks " ?

My opinion is that Mercedes-Benz cars come from the factory pretty much perfect. I don't want to ruin the car by modding it, especially by tinting lights. When I think about tinted lights, I think about the idiots that go to Autozone and buy the skull tire valve covers, 8 ball shifters, spinning hubcaps, and all that stuff
Old 05-03-2010, 01:34 PM

09' C300 4matic
Originally Posted by Mr_Clifton
Dude,
You are the one who posted on the internet about getting busted for tinted tails. What were you expecting? A bunch of people saying "Darn, that sucks " ?

My opinion is that Mercedes-Benz cars come from the factory pretty much perfect. I don't want to ruin the car by modding it, especially by tinting lights. When I think about tinted lights, I think about the idiots that go to Autozone and buy the skull tire valve covers, 8 ball shifters, spinning hubcaps, and all that stuff
then you must be commenting on the wrong thread because this thread was specifically asking for help looking for brighter bulbs ext.....comment on someone elses post if you cant help me please and thank you.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Scoonie,

I can tell you've been surprised by the negative comments you've received and surely did not expect when you started this thread. Some of it has been very critical, some teasing. We don't really know you, and how and what you write is all we have to go on. So, based on your posts, what we do know is:

- you care more about how your car looks than the well being of the people driving behind you.
- you are close minded, by your own description, "stubborn" and won't reconsider your actions
- you are willing to go outside the law and use contacts with the police to try and avoid a ticket in NJ

You must understand that none of that presents you very well to many of us. It is very childish thinking. The negative responses are very understandable, and it is concerning that you are completely closed off to acknowledging any constructive advice.

I suggest you think about a few concepts, such as 1) sense of entitlement, 2) narcissism, and 3) ego-centrism, and then spend some time looking in the mirror and thinking about what kind of person you want to grow up to become. Whatever happened in your first 20 or so years, your behavior is now your responsibility.

Good luck and best wishes...you can make this better.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:21 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 C43
Tinted tailights just look so..... cheap... I don't see why anyone would go darker than, say, "cherry" and even then I'm on the fence about it.

Tinted tails will be like Altezzas were in the late 90's.. in a couple years you're going to have a nice MB and be like MAN i can't believe i riced my old one out like I did.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:05 PM

Audi A4 1.9 TDI 2002, MB C200 CDI 2004, MB C220 CDI 2009
Dude,

+1
I totally agree.
Only thing I did was to tint my windows 18% or so (very light) to protect me from sun and I also applied clear Llumar foils over headlights and fogs also having protection of those sensible glass parts in mind.

Last edited by eminnet; 05-03-2010 at 03:08 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C63
maybe replace the bulb with the brake light bulb
Old 05-03-2010, 07:15 PM

09' C300 4matic
Originally Posted by Sportstick
Scoonie,

I can tell you've been surprised by the negative comments you've received and surely did not expect when you started this thread. Some of it has been very critical, some teasing. We don't really know you, and how and what you write is all we have to go on. So, based on your posts, what we do know is:

- you care more about how your car looks than the well being of the people driving behind you.
- you are close minded, by your own description, "stubborn" and won't reconsider your actions
- you are willing to go outside the law and use contacts with the police to try and avoid a ticket in NJ

You must understand that none of that presents you very well to many of us. It is very childish thinking. The negative responses are very understandable, and it is concerning that you are completely closed off to acknowledging any constructive advice.

I suggest you think about a few concepts, such as 1) sense of entitlement, 2) narcissism, and 3) ego-centrism, and then spend some time looking in the mirror and thinking about what kind of person you want to grow up to become. Whatever happened in your first 20 or so years, your behavior is now your responsibility.

Good luck and best wishes...you can make this better.
thanks and can you please stop commenting on this thread your doing nothing but being annoying. once again like i said if i wanted your opinion on my attitude i would have started a thread about that and once again this thread was started to ask for help finding a brighter bulb ext....you have not yet once tryed to be helpful please leave this thread.

Last edited by scoonie089; 05-03-2010 at 07:19 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:17 PM

09' C300 4matic
Originally Posted by mikekuriger
maybe replace the bulb with the brake light bulb
hmm... i wonder if they use the same bulb?? anyone know because this could be interesting!
Old 05-03-2010, 07:41 PM

08 w204
i have just about any connect i could ever need in NJ, hense why i havent gotten ticketed for the tints yet...but hey thanks
drive through my town see how well your "connects" work with me,....
kid you're a tool, everyone on here has been giving you fantastic advice and all you care about is a brighter bulb, well i do hope you find that bright bulb, then yous harness catches on fire, then your car burns up, then try explaining thats to you insurance company.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 153 Posts
99 E320
it's surprising the number of folks will point fingers at something like this, yet
think nothing of stuffing a HID kit into their halogen based projector, tinting
darker than legal, brag endlessly about their kills, etc. r-
Old 05-03-2010, 08:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
thanks and can you please stop commenting on this thread your doing nothing but being annoying. once again like i said if i wanted your opinion on my attitude i would have started a thread about that and once again this thread was started to ask for help finding a brighter bulb ext....you have not yet once tryed to be helpful please leave this thread.
If you look back over the replies you should be able to find your answer.
If you go with LEDs, you will likely have quality problems and may have issues with the directional nature of LEDs not properly lighting up your tail light lenses. In addition, many of the LEDs will have faulty resistors and end up burning your lense, socket or harness.
If you try to add a larger incandescent bulb, which is essentially a resistance heater that gives off light, you will most likely burn out your lenses, light sockets or wiring.
Do you honestly think you can keep threads from taking on a life of their own? They tend to stay somewhat on course but obviously will take the more interesting course as they go...it seems giving you a hard time for a poor decision was just inevitable for this one...
Cheers!
Old 05-03-2010, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by raymond g-
it's surprising the number of folks will point fingers at something like this, yet
think nothing of stuffing a HID kit into their halogen based projector, tinting
darker than legal, brag endlessly about their kills, etc. r-
But of course...it is always easy to cast the first stone...

I think most members on here are pretty responsible though...not too much braggin about the C Class kills until we get a little more power.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:15 PM

2010 C63
They do not use the same bulb, however I'm sure (if you're somewhat clever) you can make it work. I believe the bulb contains 2 filaments, one is dim and one is bright. It's probably not going to be super easy but if you absolutely must have blacked out taillights then you should see what you can do.

hmm... i wonder if they use the same bulb?? anyone know because this could be interesting!
Old 05-04-2010, 12:29 AM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
C350
my internet opinion is better than your internet opinion
Old 05-04-2010, 12:36 AM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
C350
sorry i had to comment after reading three pages of remarks.

also, i dont know of any way to get better output and maintain the dark tint.

everyone, lets keep the forums friendly
Old 05-04-2010, 03:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63
I say let him be and let him figure it out. If he's too stubborn you're not going to change anything anyway. If he does get rear ended some day because of his tints then let the insurance figure it out. If he looses on the fight then he learned his lesson, although he learned it the hard way. We've all been there and there are some things where we wouldn't listen to anyone and have to figure it out ourselves as well.

Edit: If you're going to tint its okay, but don't make it obvious. Here in CA it's illegal to tint front windows, and any lights. I still did mine. I hate the sun coming in so I tint my windows, although it's not OBVIOUS. Lights, I like the look, but it's not OBVIOUS. I recommend changing your tint to something lighter.

Last edited by Jae Duk; 05-04-2010 at 03:04 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:26 PM

2009 CL63, 2013 GL550
Guys, I was looking at one of my issues of The Star (The Mercedes-Benz Club of America magazine). There's an article called "C300: Baby No More" in the July/Aug 2008 issue on page 30.

I would be careful about tinting. Go up to your tail lights and look at them close. You'll notice there are small vents on them around the edges. The car is designed to vent air from the wheel wells through the tail lights for aerodynamic purposes.

Chances are, if you're tinting your tail lights, you're trapping that air in there. Just FYI.

Last edited by Mr_Clifton; 05-04-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:37 PM

ML 350
That's interesting on the lights...fact is 48% of the people that rear end you are not even slowing down - they're distracted. I got an energy absorbing Bumper Shield for my ML350. Slides into your receiver hitch...Go ahead, make my day.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:56 PM

09' C300 4matic
Guys, I was looking at one of my issues of The Star (The Mercedes-Benz Club of America magazine). There's an article called "C300: Baby No More" in the July/Aug 2008 issue on page 30.

I would be careful about tinting. Go up to your tail lights and look at them close. You'll notice there are small vents on them around the edges. The car is designed to vent air from the wheel wells through the tail lights for aerodynamic purposes.

Chances are, if you're tinting your tail lights, you're trapping that air in there. Just FYI.

thats interesting i didnt know that.....but these are nightshade so it isn't a film....these little things that people dont notice are the reasons why we choose mercedes benz