C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Installing trunk/roof spoiler

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 c300 sport 4 matic
Installing trunk/roof spoiler

Well I just received my trunk/roof spoilers. Question: For those that have installed theirs, I know about the cleaning of the area with rubbing alchol and the primer/activator to apply and warming the area with hair dryer but what is the best way to position the spoilers, so you dont get them stuck crooked. Did you start from the middle with tape marks or the end when attaching.

I had this idea of starting from the middle, just peeling back about 4 inches of tape and letting the covering on the tape hang down, once the center was positioned correctly slowly pull the tape covering back and at the same time press spoiler into place moving down one side then the other. Does this make sence to you or am I missing a step.

If you find the spoiler is a bit crooked when installing are you able to dislodge it and reposition it without harm? I know you can get the spoiler off the car but unsure if it then ruins the tape and it has to be replaced?

I was wondering has anyone given any thought, since the spoiler is curved, it will trap water on top of the trunk lid when raining and looking at the tape there is no interruption to let the water drain under the spoiler and off the trunk lid. Would it be wise to slit the tape in the center of the trunk so it will drain or am I getting **** about this? Thanks Jim
Old 05-06-2010, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
From what I observed when a local shop did the install, they positioned the spoiler before any adhesives were in sight. Blue painter's tape was applied to make an edge for the edge of the spoiler to be positioned against. Then, once they were ready to "make it stick", they slowly moved the part, holding it with fingertips, to "come in for a landing" with the edge matching up to the edge of the blue tape. Two guys were involved, one on each side of the car, to ensure a level approach. You might want to recruit a steady-handed friend.

One other point, both my roof and decklid spoiler also have urethane running along the underside in addition to the tape. Makes removal very difficult, if you ever plan to do that, but they sure won't fly off at speed. There have been reports on this forum of some spoilers coming off....pity the poor guy behind you! I can't be sure if the issue was the adhesive, poor prep, on some other, but my shop suggested the urethane as they use it for all such work for security!

BTW, water seems just to flow off from in front of the spoilers, especially if the car is well waxed!!
Old 05-06-2010, 10:52 AM

2009 c300 sport 4 matic
Thanks Sports. Maybe I`m getting **** about this but I do know if the tape sticks and its crooked it would be a b---- to get off.

The water deal on the trunk was just a thought if the car was outside when raining and water just sets with no where to go until one started driving again, just a thought.

Did you notice if your tape is continuous the full length with no openings for dranage?
Old 05-06-2010, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
It was full length...no interruptions.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:19 PM

2009 c300 sport 4 matic
I got tired of ***** footing around, didn`t have anyone to help but I installed them and everything went fine. They both are perfect. They are solid as a rock. I think the key is the prep, good cleaning and the primer.

I have the window tinting, debadging side markers done and now the spoilers DONE. Next lowering, wheels. then who knows. Jim