C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Hard shifter wobble on 2nd speed only (6MT C300) Help required!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 03:38 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 E300 4Matic
Exclamation Hard shifter wobble on 2nd speed only (6MT C300) Help required!

Hi everyone,

I'm new here. My name is Alex and I drive a 2010 C300 6MT RWD

I have a little question about my tranny. I'm a little bit stressed up because I'm doing a long road trip with my Gf in less than one week to Cape Code, MA.

Since the first day I have the car, the shifter vibrates a lot when I accelerate on the 2nd speed only. If I release the gas pedal, no vibration at all (so only on torque?). On any other speeds (1,3,4,5,6,R)....the shifter is free of any kind of vibration. But when I shift in 2nd....it wobbles enough that sometimes my gf asks : "What the f*** is going on with your shifter ) . Sometimes, like 1 time out of 4...the shifter doesn't wobble on 2nd speed. I'll post a link of a youtube vids I'll do this PM as I'm having a hard time writing it up.

Hope you can help me having an idea of the problem? Is it a problem that requires a rapid dealer visit or I can go to Cape Code with the car without any expected problem?

Thanks a lot and hope to help you too in a near future!

Last edited by Rubi1999; 05-23-2010 at 03:41 PM.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 c350
well, im not TOO sure about that but if your going on a long road trip, driving on highways you wouldnt be in second gear for very long for very long would you ?
Old 05-23-2010, 03:59 PM

2018 E300 4Matic
Originally Posted by kevinwithdabenz
well, im not TOO sure about that but if your going on a long road trip, driving on highways you wouldnt be in second gear for very long for very long would you ?
For sure, but I'm asking because I don't know if this "problem" may be a more serious tranny problem that may cause any kind of failure. Just asking myself if somebody knows about this?
Old 05-23-2010, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
I have a similar 09, and I do not recognize this problem. I would be at the dealership first on line tomorrow morning.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:19 PM

2018 E300 4Matic
Here's a video I found...this is exactly my problem, but in 2nd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGGmQ...os=cxqUfP9yn4I
Old 05-23-2010, 04:23 PM

2018 E300 4Matic
Here's mine actually...but I wasn't able to make it wobble like it usually does.

Anyway...here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En5gpYdFeHg
Old 05-23-2010, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
When did this start to occur? From day one, or is it possible after a series of hard launches.

I'm no expert, but it sounds like the tranny mounts may need to be adjusted and/or replaced. Nothing critical, but should be fixed sooner rather than later, should be fine on the road trip, especially since you never really use 2nd gear.

Does it happen in 1st gear as well, or around a certain RPM range?
Old 05-23-2010, 05:13 PM

2018 E300 4Matic
Originally Posted by jctevere
When did this start to occur? From day one, or is it possible after a series of hard launches.

I'm no expert, but it sounds like the tranny mounts may need to be adjusted and/or replaced. Nothing critical, but should be fixed sooner rather than later, should be fine on the road trip, especially since you never really use 2nd gear.

Does it happen in 1st gear as well, or around a certain RPM range?
Started to occur day 1. I thought it would be ok after the break in period. Now I have 18 000 kms on the car and it never stopped. It's my third car with a manual tranny. I drive this car like a limo : really gently, never shift over 3000rpm except when needed . I'm only 23 and I plan to keep this car as long as I can because owning a Mercedes is my dream since childhood...this is why I drive it like a grandpa :P

Normally....the harder I push the accelerator, the more wobble I get on 2nd. If I release the gas...it doesn't wobble at all. That only happens on 2nd, other speeds are A1

Also, it seems like it does it less after a cold start (seems like it wobbles more when the tranny is at operating temperature )
Old 05-23-2010, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
Yeah, that definitely sounds like something is wrong with either the engine and/or tranny mounts.

One way to test out the engine mounts is to open the hood and push downwards on either side of the engine. You won't break anything so don't be too scared to use a bit of force. Something along the lines of giving someone CPR should work. And if the engine seems to give and move a bit too easily, then it is possible it is engine mounts. Although it is not too typical for engine mount to cause that vibration at low rpm (below 3,000) and only during a specific gear, which is why I though it could be tranny mounts. But I wouldn't nix it from the realm of possibility. The best way is to setup a service appointment.

I wouldn't worry about the road trip, even if you can't use your car they will supply you with a loaner. My feeling is better sooner rather than later. Make sure you find out what the problem was to let us all know. Best of luck!
Old 05-25-2010, 11:38 PM

2018 E300 4Matic
Yeah, that definitely sounds like something is wrong with either the engine and/or tranny mounts.

One way to test out the engine mounts is to open the hood and push downwards on either side of the engine. You won't break anything so don't be too scared to use a bit of force. Something along the lines of giving someone CPR should work. And if the engine seems to give and move a bit too easily, then it is possible it is engine mounts. Although it is not too typical for engine mount to cause that vibration at low rpm (below 3,000) and only during a specific gear, which is why I though it could be tranny mounts. But I wouldn't nix it from the realm of possibility. The best way is to setup a service appointment.

I wouldn't worry about the road trip, even if you can't use your car they will supply you with a loaner. My feeling is better sooner rather than later. Make sure you find out what the problem was to let us all know. Best of luck!

Yeah thank you for your clue I'll go see my dealer tomorrow morning. I'll keep you post!
Old 05-26-2010, 06:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
+1
Old 05-26-2010, 11:54 AM

C300 Sport 6MT
Actually.......
After reading your post this weekend, I kept my eye on the shifter last night as I went through each gear and... I have the same "problem" as you in second. Any other gear, the shifter stays fairly stable. In second, there is a noticeable difference. HOWEVER, I don't think it's an issue or a problem. It's not like it's about to pop out of gear or anything. In fact, I never would've noticed w/o reading your post because I keep my hand on the knob and don't look down while driving. I feel no shaking/vibration in second while driving. Yes, there's lots of torque in 2nd gear, so perhaps that combined with other factors is causing a resonant frequency of sorts to the shifter?
Either way, I'll definitely be awaiting your follow-up after you see the dealer in case they discover a real problem...
Old 05-27-2010, 07:57 PM

2018 E300 4Matic
Originally Posted by Doanster
Actually.......
After reading your post this weekend, I kept my eye on the shifter last night as I went through each gear and... I have the same "problem" as you in second. Any other gear, the shifter stays fairly stable. In second, there is a noticeable difference. HOWEVER, I don't think it's an issue or a problem. It's not like it's about to pop out of gear or anything. In fact, I never would've noticed w/o reading your post because I keep my hand on the knob and don't look down while driving. I feel no shaking/vibration in second while driving. Yes, there's lots of torque in 2nd gear, so perhaps that combined with other factors is causing a resonant frequency of sorts to the shifter?
Either way, I'll definitely be awaiting your follow-up after you see the dealer in case they discover a real problem...
Interesting to see that you experienced the same "issue". I went to my dealer this afternoon and a mechanic came with me for a road test. He lifted the car and looked at the engine mounts + tranny mounts. Everything was fine He then went under the shifter to see if anything is wrong and he told me that he didn't see anything He told me that he will call the engineers in Germany (head office) to have info about this "problem" and that he will call me back next week to take an appointment or to tell me that there's nothing wrong with those vibrations. Anyway...I'll keep you post on the answer that I'll get as it can be interesting for us and for anyone in the future that could experience the same thing
Old 06-02-2010, 03:01 PM

C300
2nd gear wobble

Wow I have the same exact wobble on my 2010. Dealer wasn't Ble to reproduce it and said that everything looked good in the gear box and mounts. Still happens once every week or so I immediately up shift when infeel it. Let me know what the dealers final verdict was!!!!
Old 06-02-2010, 03:58 PM

Audi A4 1.9 TDI 2002, MB C200 CDI 2004, MB C220 CDI 2009
I had similar problem with another car some time ago.
Car has been to all mechanics around for about one month.
The mystery was solved by a rookie mechanic.
The problem was a tire with a flat area where should be circular.
Some of the wires inside the tire rubber where damaged due to over inflating.
So I suggest you to have a look to your tires.
Hope my case helps you.

Last edited by eminnet; 06-02-2010 at 04:01 PM.
Old 10-12-2023, 02:11 PM

MB C200CDI
Originally Posted by Rubi1999
Interesting to see that you experienced the same "issue". I went to my dealer this afternoon and a mechanic came with me for a road test. He lifted the car and looked at the engine mounts + tranny mounts. Everything was fine He then went under the shifter to see if anything is wrong and he told me that he didn't see anything He told me that he will call the engineers in Germany (head office) to have info about this "problem" and that he will call me back next week to take an appointment or to tell me that there's nothing wrong with those vibrations. Anyway...I'll keep you post on the answer that I'll get as it can be interesting for us and for anyone in the future that could experience the same thing

Did you solve the problem? Im having the same shifter shaking only in 2nd gear on my '09 w204 C200CDI