C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

ESL????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2023, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 Mercedes c230
ESL????

The other day I went to my friends house parked my car then after a few hours (at night) we both went out but separately, I inserted my key but I didn’t get any recognition, “the buzz I always get when key is interested” it was late at night so I got stuck with a dead phone and had to sleep in my car over night, I got to contact a very good friend of mine the next day who is an expert on Mercedes and told me it was the ESL which is a very common problem on Mercedes and adviced me to buy a program emulator. The day this happened I still had power in my battery and my common accessories were working, today I went back to where my car was and nothing at all worked, no electricity. The only strange thing was that my aftermarket Halo lights which I wired to my fuse box in the engine compartment were on without the keys in the ignition, my question is that does a bad ESL also drain batteries or it’s just another problem?. Pls help I’m in the process of cutting the ESL lock off and replacing with the emulator that comes Thursday.
Old 10-04-2023, 07:42 PM

Received 98 Likes on 90 Posts
2009 MB C300 Sport 4matic
Repeated attempts to start the car with a dead ESL can cause the car to go into a default theft protection mode. No idea if this disables all electrics. Interesting that your direct wired lights that don't go through your SAM worked. Install emulator and hopefully all will return to normal Did you check your battery for voltage...if low, maybe battery failed or there was an abnormally high amp drain.
Old 10-05-2023, 09:51 AM

2007 Mercedes c230
Originally Posted by gamma300C
Repeated attempts to start the car with a dead ESL can cause the car to go into a default theft protection mode. No idea if this disables all electrics. Interesting that your direct wired lights that don't go through your SAM worked. Install emulator and hopefully all will return to normal Did you check your battery for voltage...if low, maybe battery failed or there was an abnormally high amp drain.

hopefully this is what happened, do you know what are the the possibilities that it is my EIS ?
Old 10-05-2023, 02:08 PM

Received 98 Likes on 90 Posts
2009 MB C300 Sport 4matic
EIS..vs ESLfailure

I think this Forum's opinion is that the EIS is rarely at fault. A Search will discuss at length and some posts give advice on how to differentiate EIS vs ESL problems.
Old 10-12-2023, 12:10 PM

2007 Mercedes c230
Upd

Originally Posted by gamma300C
I think this Forum's opinion is that the EIS is rarely at fault. A Search will discuss at length and some posts give advice on how to differentiate EIS vs ESL problems.
update, I broke the lock on the ESL, my steering is free, I plugged in the emulator but I still can’t turn the key in the ignition, what electrical aspect would you recommend me looking at next, please I’m stuck in school and don’t really have any resources near me in this city
Old 10-12-2023, 03:48 PM

Received 110 Likes on 93 Posts
2020 C300, 2013 C250, 2000 Boxster S
Originally Posted by Mike4l
update, I broke the lock on the ESL, my steering is free, I plugged in the emulator but I still can’t turn the key in the ignition, what electrical aspect would you recommend me looking at next, please I’m stuck in school and don’t really have any resources near me in this city
Did you send your EIS & key to the emulator supplier? These all have to be programmed to work together. My understanding is that when the key is placed in the EIS, the EIS sends a signal to the ESL (emulator) and expects a response indicating that all is good. If the EIS receives a valid response, it allows the key to turn and the engine to start.
Old 10-12-2023, 03:51 PM

2007 Mercedes c230
Originally Posted by alynch
Did you send your EIS & key to the emulator supplier? These all have to be programmed to work together. My understanding is that when the key is placed in the EIS, the EIS sends a signal to the ESL (emulator) and expects a response indicating that all is good. If the EIS receives a valid response, it allows the key to turn and the engine to start.
the emulator I bought was said that it doesn’t need to be programmed, I think it was already programmed by the seller before it was sent.
Old 10-12-2023, 03:55 PM

the emulator I bought was said that it doesn’t need to be programmed, I think it was already programmed by the seller before it was sent.
In my case, I had to remove the EIS and send it with the key to the emulator supplier. The emulator has to recognize both the key and the EIS and vice-versa in order for the security check to function. The supplier sent back the programmed emulator, EIS, and key in 24hrs.
Old 10-12-2023, 03:57 PM

2007 Mercedes c230
Originally Posted by alynch
In my case, I had to remove the EIS and send it with the key to the emulator supplier. The emulator has to recognize both the key and the EIS and vice-versa in order for the security check to function. The supplier sent back the programmed emulator, EIS, and key in 24hrs.

where did you get yours from please??
Old 10-12-2023, 04:04 PM

where did you get yours from please??
Pressertech