C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

UMI / Phone Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300, Porsche Boxter
UMI / Phone Question

I just picked up my 300C with UMI and have a question. While in Nav mode, when my BT phone rings, I get no notification on the Nav or speedo that I have a incoming call. When I try to push the answer call button on the phone, it will answer, but the BT won't hook up to the phone, so it doesn't work. On the other hand, when I pick up the phone and dial a out going cal, the BT hooks up just fine.

Don't know if I have something set up wrong, or if this is just the way it works. If so, it's a pretty poor design! I haven't tried pushing one of the phone answer buttons on the car (dash or steering wheel) while it's ringing, I will do that in the AM.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 07-04-2010, 04:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by bhubb3rd
I just picked up my 300C with UMI and have a question. While in Nav mode, when my BT phone rings, I get no notification on the Nav or speedo that I have a incoming call. When I try to push the answer call button on the phone, it will answer, but the BT won't hook up to the phone, so it doesn't work. On the other hand, when I pick up the phone and dial a out going cal, the BT hooks up just fine.

Don't know if I have something set up wrong, or if this is just the way it works. If so, it's a pretty poor design! I haven't tried pushing one of the phone answer buttons on the car (dash or steering wheel) while it's ringing, I will do that in the AM.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Once you've tried using the steering wheel/head unit buttons as you should in the car, I could try this in the wife's car.

Did you have the phone menu selected from the cluster during the incoming call?

The UMI kit is different from standard navigation because it basically works by stealing the display signal from the head unit and either by-passes the signal as such or inserts its own e.g. during navigation.

I guess your phone works fine if you do not use UMI? This sounds strange because the UMI kit is using a separate speaker (or an independent speaker coil) for navigation audio and there is no reason for the HF audio not working. Even if you were using music from UMI, this goes to the aux input of the head unit and the head unit would be able to mute this audio source for the duration of phone calls.

Last edited by Diesel Benz; 07-04-2010 at 04:25 AM.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:19 AM

C300, Porsche Boxter
I didn't have the Navi selected on the display, I am going to try that as well. Yes, it does seem a little strange, I never suspected I wouldn't be able to answer a call while using the Nav in 2010!
Old 07-04-2010, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by bhubb3rd
I didn't have the Navi selected on the display, I am going to try that as well. Yes, it does seem a little strange, I never suspected I wouldn't be able to answer a call while using the Nav in 2010!
I didn't say Navigation menu selected on the cluster but the phone menu.

I actually just tried it at my wife's car. I had UMI navigation active on the head unit display and the phone menu active at the cluster menu. Wife's phone connected to the car. The cluster menu showed me calling like it would do without UMI and the hands free call was fine.

The head unit display did not change from navigation map, this is reasonable because UMI could not set the head unit menu to phone mode anyway.

I did not try to answer the call from the phone keypad.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:50 AM

C300, Porsche Boxter
Sorry, I meant phone on the cluster! I will give this a try as soon as I eat breakfast. Thanks for your help, I will let you know if it works "over" here!
Old 07-04-2010, 12:08 PM

C300, Porsche Boxter
Problem solved! I am so used to answering my phone by pushing the "answer" button directly on the phone. Not so good here! When the phone rings, no mater what screen you are in on the cluster, all I needed to do was push the phone answer button on the steering wheel, picks up with no problem and doesn't impact the Nav screen at all. If the phone screen is selected on the cluster, the number comes through. Perfect.

Thanks for everyone's help!
Old 07-04-2010, 07:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 E300 4MATIC Sedan
Well, I finally had a chance to try out the bluetooth and navigation today and here is what I found :

1. You are correct - when the navigation map is showing on the display screen and I receive a call, I do not get any indication on either the display screen or the instrument cluster ( although I can hear the phone ringing through the speakers )

2. If I answer the call using the phone, the bluetooth in the car does not pick up.

3. As a solution, when the screen is on nav and the phone rings, simply hit the back button twice, click accept to answer the call on the phone interface screen ( which will now be through bluetooth ) and then press and hold the clear button to bring the nav back on to the display.

( I did not try answering the phone using the steering wheel button )

Hope that helps...

Nick

PS - I also noticed ( as mentioned before ) that since I upgraded the OS on my iPhone 3Gs to version 4 I now hear the ringer that is chosen on the phone coming through the car speakers when a call is received rather than the generic ringer I used to hear ( which I actually preferred )
Old 07-04-2010, 09:36 PM

C300, Porsche Boxter
Thanks!