C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

New Ride Possibly

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 08:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
I think the whole Lexus love/hate thing comes from them being so isolated and smooth. For people that want a little road feel and maybe even "character" in a car, Lexus comes across as being soulless and easy to hate.

Character = little issues that would bug you if you didn't otherwise have passion for the car...
Old 07-12-2010, 09:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
joshg1001 and C300Sport both have it right. For a carefree and most pleasant car ownership experience, one cannot beat Lexus. They take care of just about everything, and until recently, had a great quality record with the Toyota parent. They just have a very different view of what makes a great car, but which is perfectly consistent with the Japanese culture. Everything is smooth, isolated, intended to be the most non-disruptive experience possible. "Fun" has nothing to do with it. It's what our grandparents wanted from a Lincoln/Cadillac...."you don't feel the road". The goal is to get you where you want to go, and make the actual process as much of a non-event as possible. Never shock the body!! Ride the Shinkanzen train, a building elevator, or even touch and listen to automatic opening doors in Japan and compare to anything else in the world....silent, smooth, as little feedback as possible....nothing floats like a Japanese form of transportation. (Before the replies come....Honda/Mazda, etc. have make a conscious effort to differentiate themselves by targeting younger American tastes, while Toyota has offered the truest Japanese experience to America.)

If you actually like, or love, driving, want to be involved in the experience, and the destination is not always the most important reason for the trip, Lexus (or Toyota, for that matter) is just a mis-match for you. If you like, or love, riding comfortably, think cars should just be a safe, reliable, and comfortable "background" part of your daily routine, and no car is worth any more attention than absolutely necessary, there's never a reason to leave Lexus.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GLK250 BlueTEC, 2012 BMW 335is Conv.
Originally Posted by joshg1001
My family has owned a few, and to be honest, a large part of it is the service. I know everyone says this, but honestly, I look forward to go service our vehicles at the dealership, from the free snacks and drinks, to a loaner car without even having to ask (even for a quick oil change). Then there is the true to god honest SA. I am disapointed at the MB dealership when I go because there isnt any of this.
I get all that from my Mercedes dealer, although I don't really look forward to going there because they always charge me for the service. How dare they!

You probably see tons of RXs on the road because the car is perfect for families of today.
When I see an RX on the road, family isn't what comes to mind. To me the RX screams "I'm a Realtor! Call me today and I'll sell your house for top dollar!" Maybe that's just me.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2013 G63 AMG
my brother has a 335, they're sweet cars, but i' d get something different.

did you consider the new e550 coupe? its quick as hell and looks great!

but from your choices, i'd go for the 2010 s4!
Old 07-12-2010, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 Ghibli S Q4 & 2008 C350
I'd probably have to go with what was my second runner up when I choose the new C350 in late 2007, and that's the 335xi. Coupe is def my fav but the sedan isn't bad either. They are a dime-a-dozen on the road, but there's a reason for that. The S4 would be a close second. And I'd have to consider other cars over an ISF, like maybe the new E. I really think AMG should make an E coupe.

Originally Posted by balticgreen
I get all that from my Mercedes dealer, although I don't really look forward to going there because they always charge me for the service. How dare they!

When I see an RX on the road, family isn't what comes to mind. To me the RX screams "I'm a Realtor! Call me today and I'll sell your house for top dollar!" Maybe that's just me.
+1 on the Realtor thing! There's an Edina Reality building next to ours and there are more than a few Lexus RX over there. Actually a lot of MB and BMW too And my MB dealer has all the perks as well, sounds like Josh's dealer needs to wake up...
Old 07-12-2010, 01:57 PM

08 c350
i would pick the S4 because i dont see it often. thats one reason i was absolutely in love with my car when i first got it. NEVER saw it on the road
Old 07-12-2010, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by kevinwithdabenz
i would pick the S4 because i dont see it often.
They're in the service department.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 Ghibli S Q4 & 2008 C350
Originally Posted by kevinwithdabenz
i would pick the S4 because i dont see it often.
Originally Posted by Sportstick

Or is it because you can barely tell them apart from a regular A4?
Old 07-12-2010, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
Originally Posted by Sportstick
So, so cold but unfortunately pretty true from my experience

Originally Posted by Krytech

Or is it because you can barely tell them apart from a regular A4?
So true. The new S4 is a great car but with the major sleeper styling compared to the stock 2.0T and the non-rumbling V6, it just doesn't seem to have the bad *** look and feel of the past S4s.

Last edited by C300Sport; 07-12-2010 at 03:22 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:19 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
my vote: IS-F

good mpg, raw power, Toyota/Lexus reliability, cheaper to mod, etc.

anyone that says the IS or IS-F is boring they need to test drive an IS with F-sport mods and an IS-F.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 Mercedes C300 4Matic
Thanks for all the replies and input guys. Its a hard decision. I've actually just test drove a new S4 earlier today and honestly I love it. Its faster than the 335 and definitely has a nicer interior. The exterior looks a little like an A4 but there are a lot of differences. I dunno, I think I fell in love with it. It handled amazing, the supercharger had a nice sound to it, it was fast as hell haha And honestly the quality and fit and finish was top of the line. I'm going to think it over of course, the good thing about it is that its very rare. I honestly have never seen another S4 around in the past couple years. Thanks again guys!
Old 07-13-2010, 06:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Rarity can mean expensive insurance & hard to find & expensive parts.

Obviously you need a prestige car & don't mind paying the price. But just remember to look after your old age pension !! Cars are a poor investment.

Good luck & enjoy.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
\
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by joshg1001

As for the D bags, I think most are BMW drivers.
Inside sources indicate that Audi has become the brand of choice for douchebags.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts
2017 E300
^^ It could actually be any luxury entry level model, whether C class, 3 series, A4 or IS. Most of these drivers are young and they tend to like to show off.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:01 PM

MB C-300 Sport 2009 Manual Black XPIPE+Exhaust
bmw 335 coupe over and S4 however both have major issues all my friends have fuel pump issues with the 335 when i say all i mean all 3 of them and even more issues on the s4 but the b7 gen
Old 07-14-2010, 02:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E350 4Matic Wagon, 2013 C350 4Matic Sedan
The S4 is a tempting choice because it's more exclusive than the 335xi. Being Canadian, I'd prefer to stick with an AWD sports sedan, but maybe less so on the left coast. Good luck with your choice.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:50 PM

09 C300S 4M
It depends what you want.. the 3 vehicles you chose are very similar. I liked the S4 until I drove it. The ISF is a powerful machine, my friend has one, but I'm not a fan of the power band as it comes stock.. so by default 335.

All these platforms are not very far off, once you've driven all 3 you'll find the one that suits you best. You're still in 4-door sedan territory, it's a lot of the same in this class. Sure you have different engines and aesthetics but how these vehicles handle on the asphalt isn't terribly different from vehicle to vehicle. It will come down to which one you find pleasing to eye, and which one hugs your hips in a way the others don't lol. My advice.. don't spend too much time talking about this or reading reviews, go sit in them - you'll know instantly.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
My friend Has a 335i coupe. It's fast, but it lacks some visceral element. I like the Sedan more. The front end on both new 3s just look odd to me. I love German cars, but I'd struggle between choosing the IS-F and the S4. The IS-F has the nice touch-screen nav as previously noted. Not sure why the others do not. It looks and sounds great. I was actually considering a used one in March because I found a great deal. The Audi has heritage, Quattro and forced induction (as the BMW). I have had Audis. For me, they fit every time I sit in one. The W204 is the only car that has ever come close to giving me that same feeling. In my experience, S4s hold their value like mad. I also like the huge selection of aftermarket products for Audi.

Anyway, I am with BenTrovato. The only way to know is to drive each one for a while then go with your gut.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BenTrovato
It depends what you want.. the 3 vehicles you chose are very similar. I liked the S4 until I drove it. The ISF is a powerful machine, my friend has one, but I'm not a fan of the power band as it comes stock.. so by default 335.

All these platforms are not very far off, once you've driven all 3 you'll find the one that suits you best. You're still in 4-door sedan territory, it's a lot of the same in this class. Sure you have different engines and aesthetics but how these vehicles handle on the asphalt isn't terribly different from vehicle to vehicle. It will come down to which one you find pleasing to eye, and which one hugs your hips in a way the others don't lol. My advice.. don't spend too much time talking about this or reading reviews, go sit in them - you'll know instantly.
Originally Posted by Derspeed
My friend Has a 335i coupe. It's fast, but it lacks some visceral element. I like the Sedan more. The front end on both new 3s just look odd to me. I love German cars, but I'd struggle between choosing the IS-F and the S4. The IS-F has the nice touch-screen nav as previously noted. Not sure why the others do not. It looks and sounds great. I was actually considering a used one in March because I found a great deal. The Audi has heritage, Quattro and forced induction (as the BMW). I have had Audis. For me, they fit every time I sit in one. The W204 is the only car that has ever come close to giving me that same feeling. In my experience, S4s hold their value like mad. I also like the huge selection of aftermarket products for Audi.

Anyway, I am with BenTrovato. The only way to know is to drive each one for a while then go with your gut.
I couldn't agree more. The only way to tell which I personally like best is by driving them. So far I've driven the S4 and 335i sedan. I got a really good offer on a S4 with nav from a dealer that is hard to pass up. I think this weekend I'll take out the ISF for a spin and actually make a decision.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:22 AM

W204, W220, S15 Silvia
theres no upgrade if u change to anyone of the 3, i would maintain, or just buy another pure sportscar for sports driving pleasure if the C does not satisfy u in that way.
if change, get c63, M3, R35 GTR or something along the line, 335i, A4 or other similar thing is just pointless to go from a C300, just a change in style or downgrade even :0

Last edited by zankok; 07-15-2010 at 05:25 AM.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by zankok
theres no upgrade if u change to anyone of the 3, i would maintain, or just buy another pure sportscar for sports driving pleasure if the C does not satisfy u in that way.
if change, get c63, M3, R35 GTR or something along the line, 335i, A4 or other similar thing is just pointless to go from a C300, just a change in style or downgrade even :0
Really?... 333hp is not an upgrade from 228hp? Plus keep in mind, not everyone can afford a GTR or M3. That's why they make less powerful cars lol
Old 07-15-2010, 06:01 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
'20 Targa 4 DD, ' 18 Volvo S60 T6
IMO

- W204 is great value - looks the best in and out
- S4: can get a very nice slightly used Porsche for that $
- ISF looks good and not many around. Service experience will be a dream compared to others.
- BMW 3: dime a dozen, looks getting bland

I'd just get a low mileage 997 S4
Old 07-15-2010, 10:14 PM

W204, W220, S15 Silvia
Originally Posted by micropower99
Really?... 333hp is not an upgrade from 228hp? Plus keep in mind, not everyone can afford a GTR or M3. That's why they make less powerful cars lol
IMHO.. no not really, they r still in the sporty sedan class, if HP is all that is to you, 100HP increase in factory claimed power, will still get you raped by sportscars, and if u want fast, y not just get true sports car?
the reason y i wouldn't opt for ISF is, it is 2008, I wouldn't want something same or older than my current car for a swap, plus, u r giving up a benz for a toyota ...
if you think 333HP is everything why you should do it, then it's your preference, keep in mind theres still 4 doors evo and sti that can eat ISF anyday, hell ... my s15 can eat ISF too ...
my point is, to me, if i cant afford to upgrade, switching to similar class is. well to me i am not the type would do it until i save enough to do real upgrades
but at the end of the day the choice is entirely yours to make, just giving my 2c

Last edited by zankok; 07-15-2010 at 10:21 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by zankok
IMHO.. no not really, they r still in the sporty sedan class, if HP is all that is to you, 100HP increase in factory claimed power, will still get you raped by sportscars, and if u want fast, y not just get true sports car?
the reason y i wouldn't opt for ISF is, it is 2008, I wouldn't want something same or older than my current car for a swap, plus, u r giving up a benz for a toyota ...
if you think 333HP is everything why you should do it, then it's your preference, keep in mind theres still 4 doors evo and sti that can eat ISF anyday, hell ... my s15 can eat ISF too ...
my point is, to me, if i cant afford to upgrade, switching to similar class is. well to me i am not the type would do it until i save enough to do real upgrades
but at the end of the day the choice is entirely yours to make, just giving my 2c
Umm sure. Always wanted to mention the fact that I think the S4 has a luxurious interior and looks amazing. So yeah, no I'm not making decisions on ONLY power. Otherwise I wouldn't buy brand new, I'd get used. But yeah anyways, looks like I'm going with the S4 guys. I'm going in this weekend to put an order through. Will post with an update, let you know when its suppose to arrive and if I'll sell any mods I did on my C300
Old 07-16-2010, 07:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by micropower99
Umm sure. Always wanted to mention the fact that I think the S4 has a luxurious interior and looks amazing. So yeah, no I'm not making decisions on ONLY power. Otherwise I wouldn't buy brand new, I'd get used. But yeah anyways, looks like I'm going with the S4 guys. I'm going in this weekend to put an order through. Will post with an update, let you know when its suppose to arrive and if I'll sell any mods I did on my C300
If that is your final decision and you have a choice between dealers, hang out around the write up areas in service one morning and see how customers are handled. I know we kidded about Audi quality earlier, but if you are determined to take the chance with the lower reliability choice, you may improve your overall odds by finding the more customer oriented dealership. Good luck!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Ride Possibly