C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI
Old 06-09-2015, 12:58 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

W204 Third Party Component Speaker Upgrade

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'11 C350 '13 F150 lariat
Well I bit the bullet and got a 4 channel amp. After much consideration Im going with a JL audio XD400. It super rated everywhere I read and a local shop has a few cars the guys drive with them in and it sounds great. Finny u should mention the C2-650s, they mostly have those in their rides and sound PHENOMINAL. I was blown away. Im gonna throw the amp in this weekend and see how I make out. Big point was the great xover system on the JL. Its tiny and has super control of each channel and cleans up the music. I played my flash drive in bosses truck and its night and day. Im gonna do teh amp first and If im not satisfied swap out the 62.9s in front for components. I DONT have parametric equilizer in my 2011, but I got the feeling if you have the screen that doesnt flip you may have it. I have MM screen but no HK, seperate options since 2010, and I dont have the EQ. But I think from reading on here the MM with no HK is considered audio 50 not audio 20. I just cant live w this car with just the infinitys and the head unit power, I have every option possible in this car except the one I REALLY needed, HK. Never again will I buy a benz without it. theres no comparison.

And Bill I am hearing the compression and crap from the music, the unbeleivable HK logic system filtered it all out, I couldnt spend 2 grand and get what that 850 gets you, they should make it standard w multimedia, it was in my 08 thank god...........jimmy
Old 05-11-2011, 08:50 PM

c300
I've been looking for a higher end alternative for the speakers to improve the quality in the audio system in my car but like bill has been pointing out it's hard finding a 2ohm component set out there or a coaxil at that... i wished more companies would make a 2ohm component set.. I'm used to using image dynamics and mb quart q series in the past and theres not much that touch those as far as bass and quality never heard cdt thou yet... another that i've heard that sounds awesome is aura.. but none of these companies make a 2ohm speaker.. kindof bs i think especially cause most amps are 2 ohm stable..

Well the whole point of the story is like bill was saying for the stock application nothing beats what his choice is.. now if going amplified there is alot better options.. image dynamics for the money you cant beat..
Old 05-11-2011, 09:35 PM

2011 C300 SPORT
Its a shame that Eric and Matt left image dynamics. Was the best you could buy. Was keyword.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by Acapulco Bill
@ccumato: personally I dont like soft dome tweeters, especially in automobile sound applications because the temperature and humidity conditions are so extreme.
You gotta show me some articles or something showing how humidity affects soft dome tweeter performance in vehicle interiors, 15 years working with car audio and this is essentially the first I've heard of this. And I live on an island in Florida.

Metal tweeters have always been too harsh for me, too bright, too piercing. Tough to EQ. Most of the people I competed with in IASCA & USAC used silk tweeters (or horns if they were brave) just for the more natural smooth sound and the ability to more accurately reproduce the "tss", "shh", and "pss" sounds in lyrical prefix/suffixes at higher volumes.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:31 PM

c300
wonder whats changed with them to make em worse thou?? oh another good company i used before is elemental designs.. havent tried they're highs but the subs are awesome for the money.. they're shallow 10" sub mite mount into the factory sub location and the woofer is a free air sub too now that mite be something to look into for a flush mount sub application.. http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...roducts_id=106
Old 05-11-2011, 10:40 PM

2011 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by ccumato
Its a shame that Eric and Matt left image dynamics. Was the best you could buy. Was keyword.
Agreed. Such a shame, I've been using their equipment for probably 15 years now and just hit the website up to grab some sub enclosure volume reco's the other day and saw Eric's big goodbye letter and my jaw dropped.

Sad that it was maybe only ten years ago that most of the best equipment (well amps and speakers anyway) were still made in the USA. I've always thought you can't do better than ID on a budget and Dynaudio if the sky's the limit.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:32 PM

2011 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by Imageboi
wonder whats changed with them to make em worse thou?? oh another good company i used before is elemental designs.. havent tried they're highs but the subs are awesome for the money.. they're shallow 10" sub mite mount into the factory sub location and the woofer is a free air sub too now that mite be something to look into for a flush mount sub application.. http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...roducts_id=106
Funny you mention eD, when I was typing ID for reasonably priced drivers, I almost mentioned eD. I also only have experience with their subs, but have only had good experiences installing them in a number of friends' and customers' cars. Great equipment and very reasonably priced.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:39 PM

c300
eD has nice subs definitely... that sq10 i'm thinking about retroing that to the rear deck location to see how that works out.. cause it only has a 3" depth... that would be way better then the boss for sure.. but looking for options that i can still keep my trunk space currently i got 2 jbl gti1000 in there not hooked up was in my last car..
Old 05-12-2011, 06:51 AM

c200 kompressor
do someone change audio 20 to alpine or something like it- is it easy to do?
Old 05-12-2011, 08:26 AM

2011 C300 Sport
eD has nice subs definitely... that sq10 i'm thinking about retroing that to the rear deck location to see how that works out.. cause it only has a 3" depth... that would be way better then the boss for sure.. but looking for options that i can still keep my trunk space currently i got 2 jbl gti1000 in there not hooked up was in my last car..
That'd be nice from a space saving standpoint, and would probably sound solid since it's an IB design and we have a pretty solid trunk, my only concern is that it'd rattle the rear deck all to hell, you'd have to reinforce and dampen the thing pretty darn good.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:27 AM

2011 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by lancxpr
do someone change audio 20 to alpine or something like it- is it easy to do?
Lancxpr, the speakers are not horribly difficult to change, but I wouldn't even attempt to change out the head unit to a DIN sized one, that'd be a nightmare.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by AskDrTodd
Lancxpr, the speakers are not horribly difficult to change, but I wouldn't even attempt to change out the head unit to a DIN sized one, that'd be a nightmare.
someone just did a headunit change and lol the board got evil on him... ragged on him badly for doing so... he did a alpine unit i believe...

but yea with the sq10 i think it'll be a very nice upgrade and i got a bunch of their sound dampening mat and got eD's paintable one too... so that'll kill that pretty easy... guess i'd have to break out the dremel and cut out some of the metal back there... anyone know the actual size of the hole back on the rear deck?

Last edited by ImageX; 05-12-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
2010 C300 Sport
@AskDrTood - I agree that generally metal dome tweeters can generate lots of artifacts due to flexing where the dome and voicecoil meet. However, all soft dome tweeters I have had, without exception, have deteriorated in performance over time. Plus their power handling is lower, no way to dissipate heat, ferrofluid in the gap helps this somewhat.

Dont get me wrong, soft dome is fine, but I do have to swap out the diaphragms every couple of years on 4 pairs of them (buy them by the dozen). However my best system has aluminum dome tweeters, properly engineered, and no nasty artifacts.

Which in automobile use, aluminum dome can provide excellent service and quality, IMO.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:23 AM

c300
When people did the front speakers with the infinitys did they do the same as the retro for the rear??
Old 06-16-2011, 08:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 Sport
Actually I had bought two pairs of the Inifinity 60.9's. hoping that they would also fit in the rear lower door and door frame. They won't, the magnet structure is too deep on the woofer, and the door frames have no hole for the tweeter, it is just a solid piece of hard urethane plastic unless you have the HK system, which actually has its own assembly line, I understand.

You would notice that the rear speakers "bark" a lot on certain musical material, the stock tweeters have terrible peaks (over 10 dB), and the paper cone woofers create lots of mid-range distortion. But in the front, it is certainly better than just sticking with the stock speakers.

Three months later when I finally had the chance to get the Infinity 6032si shallow mount speakers plus the self-powered sub, after the installation and breaking things in moderately for a week, the sound (IMO) is truly very, very good and balanced. It is NOT of course a surround sound system, as you cannot compare apples and oranges (nor Apples with PCs). I do not need the interior of the car to emulate a cathedral or a football stadium, just have clean, clear, accurate, detailed reproduction with FLAT response.

Many others of course just love the sound of 5.1 surround, and a simple speaker substitution will NOT accomplish that. As this thread was initiated just for third party speaker substitution, perhaps HK Logic7 and 5.1 surround fans should begin a thread about getting a DSP, amplifiers and substantial subwoofers installed, as it is quite a different and expensive undertaking, with sometimes frustrating and disappointing results.

As for the other pair of Kappa 60.9's? Probably install them in my V12 located in another country, when I have the time.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
W204
Originally Posted by Acapulco Bill
I would get the 60.9's into the front and a subwoofer as the next option..
dam bill, you got me...about to submit my order for the 60.9cs w/ 62.9i in rear...will order and have installed sometime after the 4th .....since i already messed around with my para eq settings can you post up what the best settings to have with these infinitys? thanks
Old 07-01-2011, 11:50 AM

W204
speakers just arrived....please help with settings Bill...please
Old 07-01-2011, 01:22 PM

'11 C350 '13 F150 lariat
look back in this thread or just search, there are pics of his settings and he posted them, and others have as well....
Old 07-01-2011, 06:02 PM

W204
just finished the install, kept the og tweeters in place didnt really feel like setting up the crossover, bill was right about the paper stock speakers, infinitys fit well in og housing....now if i can get bills front/rear setting i will be on to my next mod
Old 07-02-2011, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 Sport
@caligreenzzz: You really should get the tweeters installed in the front, that is where all the "action" is. Once broken in, I left the Fader centered. The stock tweeters just bark and chirp, the Infinity tweeters are like wearing electrostatic headphones in comparison.

Remember to leave the Infinity xovers on 0 dB, NOT -6 dB when you do the tweeter install in the door pillars.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by jctevere
Your Dealer is just being lazy. Mine denied that I could update it as well, but you can. Just tell them that you want them to update the firmware on your comand/audio 20 system to the most up to date software. Print out this picture I have attached to show them as proof.

My audio 20 screen clearly says boost and if your wondering why I took such a strange picture, I tried to get the dumbo ears in to prove that mine is a 2009.

I just think the dealers are reluctant to do it because it takes a LONG time. I waited it out and it took nearly 3 hours...
Hello JCTEVERE, when they upgraded your audio 20 firmware did it reset all of your custom settings to factory settings (ex. parametric eq, radio stations?). The reason I am asking is after months of inquiring my dealer tech advisor agree to do it but when I picked up my car there was no boost feature and when questioned he claims the firmware was updated and perhaps my year audio 20 cannot have the boost feature.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:42 AM

2013 C300 Sport
If anyone is in need of the sound system wiring diagram I have attached.
Attached Files
Old 07-15-2011, 05:59 AM

c300
Originally Posted by ICON 1
If anyone is in need of the sound system wiring diagram I have attached.
so there's a amplifer for the audio 20 system or is this diagram for the hk system?

also has anyone tried to mounter a center channel to the car? if so can someone post how they went about doing it..

Last edited by Imageboi; 07-15-2011 at 06:04 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:45 PM

2013 C300 Sport
so there's a amplifer for the audio 20 system or is this diagram for the hk system?

also has anyone tried to mounter a center channel to the car? if so can someone post how they went about doing it..
I beleive it is for the HK system but the wiring colors for + & - are the same throughout. Don't know if there is a seperate amp for the audio 20.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:17 PM

'11 C350 '13 F150 lariat
There is not a seperate amp for audio 20 or the newer 50. Only the HK system has the amp in the drivers side trunk, the regular systems use the head unit as the amp and speaker wires are straight off the back of the head unit. There are 4 channels LF, RF, LR, RR, and they claim 8 speakers because of the tweeters up front and the coaxials out back, but only 4 channels, and the only physical crossover is on the tweeter in the form of a capacitor.....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: W204 Third Party Component Speaker Upgrade