C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

2010 vs 2011 Wheels for C350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 05:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C350
Now for the Winter/Snow Tires Questions

Just a quick update and some more questions. I got my car, got the 6-spoke 2010 rims on, and planning on using the 2011 rims for my winter tires.

Ok, I've skimmed through most of the winter/snow tire posts under the W204 sub-forum. And I still have some newb questions as I am now shopping for winter tires.

Got a quote from MB for Pirelli winter tires for 1400 EUR (about $1938). 400 EUR for sensors and 1000 EUR for tires. I went to tirerack as most of you have suggested in other posts and got 2 suggestions for tires that fit my car: Blizzak LM-60 for $660 & SP Winter Sport 3d for $692. Add in their TPMS for $224.

My questions:
1) Do I need to get the staggered layout because my rear rims are wider? (I suppose I can go home tonight and look at my rims and measure them, but I'm lazy.)

2) Ride comfort is one of my main concerns (after safety, of course). When I compare Blizzak vs. SP Winter Sport, from the tirerack website, I can see that the Winter Sport rates higher in ride comfort and noise. But how do the Pirelli tires compare (I couldn't use their web tool to compare since it wasn't one of the compatible tires)?

3) I think I read in the forums that I don't need to put sensors on my car? Can someone confirm this? Even so, should I get them anyway?

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
\
Originally Posted by sunrei
I called my sales rep and told her that I liked the old wheels better. She checked to see if I could have the AMG wheels, but found out that I can no longer make changes to the order.
For future reference, I'd check with a lawyer when told something like this. I would have ended up with a 2010 had I checked, because I thought I was locked into my order despite the 2010s delivering 1 week after my car delivered. Until I was talking to a friend of mine that was a lawyer and they told me I had the right to cancel the order up to 1 day before delivery. I asked my dealership, and they confirmed it (after I had already taken delivery). Yes, I could have cancelled my order for a 2009 and placed one for a 2010 instead... so the idea that it's "too late" to change your order is probably off.. and the only penalty you might have to consider is being bumped down the production queue. Your old order will go to dealer stock.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C350
Originally Posted by Peabody
For future reference, I'd check with a lawyer when told something like this. I would have ended up with a 2010 had I checked, because I thought I was locked into my order despite the 2010s delivering 1 week after my car delivered. Until I was talking to a friend of mine that was a lawyer and they told me I had the right to cancel the order up to 1 day before delivery. I asked my dealership, and they confirmed it (after I had already taken delivery). Yes, I could have cancelled my order for a 2009 and placed one for a 2010 instead... so the idea that it's "too late" to change your order is probably off.. and the only penalty you might have to consider is being bumped down the production queue. Your old order will go to dealer stock.
Yes, you're right, I could have canceled my order. But I didn't know how long I will be in Germany so I didn't want to be bumped and wait longer for the car.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:44 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Originally Posted by sunrei
Just a quick update and some more questions. I got my car, got the 6-spoke 2010 rims on, and planning on using the 2011 rims for my winter tires.

Ok, I've skimmed through most of the winter/snow tire posts under the W204 sub-forum. And I still have some newb questions as I am now shopping for winter tires.

Got a quote from MB for Pirelli winter tires for 1400 EUR (about $1938). 400 EUR for sensors and 1000 EUR for tires. I went to tirerack as most of you have suggested in other posts and got 2 suggestions for tires that fit my car: Blizzak LM-60 for $660 & SP Winter Sport 3d for $692. Add in their TPMS for $224.

My questions:
1) Do I need to get the staggered layout because my rear rims are wider? (I suppose I can go home tonight and look at my rims and measure them, but I'm lazy.)

2) Ride comfort is one of my main concerns (after safety, of course). When I compare Blizzak vs. SP Winter Sport, from the tirerack website, I can see that the Winter Sport rates higher in ride comfort and noise. But how do the Pirelli tires compare (I couldn't use their web tool to compare since it wasn't one of the compatible tires)?

3) I think I read in the forums that I don't need to put sensors on my car? Can someone confirm this? Even so, should I get them anyway?

Thanks for your help.
You do need to install sensors unless you want to look at the tire pressure warning all winter because the system will be looking for a signal that it never finds.

I just this week read a new magazine winter tire review and the Blizzak LM-60 is about halfway down the list scores whereas the Nokian WR G2 is well above that. And since the Nokian is a Finnish tire, you might be able to do better pricewise in Germany.

BTW, I bought a set of WR G2s (225/45-VR17 with the snowflake rating) in December 2007 and like them a lot as they are quiet, smooth riding and very good in what snow I've driven them on. And they are a year around tire if you wish, unlike the Blizzak with it's two layers of rubber.

The Blizzak is a pretty good tire but a bit outdated now.