C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

WIND NOISE and Vibrating

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 02:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 W204
WIND NOISE and Vibrating

Hi guys. My C300 is a little bit noisy (windy sound) on freeway. And on some bumpy freeways, I could actually feel the whole car vibrating.
I don't know if I am the only one feeling these.
Thanks for any input.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
Going to need some more info. The 09-08 C Class had the big "Dumbo Ear" side mirrors which contributed to a bit more wind noise than the newer models, but that shouldn't be your issue. A few C Class have had issues with the rubber seal/gasket around the door windows deforming and causing leaks and noise.
As far as the vibrating, The C Class is a pretty solid car so you shouldn't be feeling and more vibrations on rough roads than in any other comparable car. The sport models do ride a bit tighter than the "average" car so it may simply be the result of our less compliant suspension compared to what you had before. Otherwise, their could be a ton of things that might cause a simple vibration. Any more details would be helpful.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Here is one cause to rule out for wind noise:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...e-windows.html

Have you checked your cold tire pressures to investigate your bumpy ride? Check the label on the driver's door jamb. If they are proper, you could consider some of the best riding tires shown on the tirerack.com surveys which fit our cars. The original tires are fairly hard, which allows them to deliver optimal fuel economy. If you have 18" wheels, consider trading with someone (plus their cash!) for 17".

Also, were you on grooved concrete by any chance on the sections you considered "bumpy"?
Old 08-02-2010, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
huir,

Get your tires rebalanced by a shop that has a Hunter Road Force balancer....and be sure to stand there and have them do the road force part.

Its quicker if they don't so they sometimes will skip that test. The intent of the road force balancer is to meaure the tire when its under a load similar to actually being on the road. My new rear tires didn't feel quite right and I returned to the tire dealer to figure it out. Road force discovered a lateral balance problem that they were able to correct.

Last edited by JimPap; 08-02-2010 at 12:49 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:24 PM

W204-C350-2008
WIND noise is not acceptable for money cost this car.Also increase fuel consumption and "Dumbo Ear" look cheap.Very bad for reputation of Mercedes to change side mirrors very soon after first car release,looks like bad design or fast production for market reason (probably against BMW 3series success).

Last edited by kremou; 08-02-2010 at 07:29 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
I like my large rear view mirrors. A great view when parking & ultra wide angle when on the road. A really well thought out safety item. Safety bebore trendy looks for me anytime.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:59 PM

2010 W204
Thanks for every input,mates!
Actually I am gonna bring the car to the dealer this week. There is only 2000 miles on my car. I have noticed the wind noise since the first time I was on the freeway with this car. And I told myself maybe I was a little bit picky about the wind noise, but come on, this is a mercedes. So I turned up the radio, and tolerated it for 2k miles. But last weekend, as I drove for a short trip of 200 miles on freeway, I had to again turn up up up up the radio to get the wind noise away. So I decide to bring it up.
And about the vibrating, I tried to tell myself that this is a sport car. But in the past month, I had some chances to sit in several Toyota's and Honda's sport car. I wouldn't say that my car vibrates much more on bumpy road than those cars, but at least, they vibrate equally. Am I expecting too much more from a mercedes? I am assuming the vibration is due to the tires. I am running the 17's. I will ask them to do a balance check on the car.

When I bring it to the dealer,how should describe my concern in order to make it clear to the advisor?
Old 08-03-2010, 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
huir,

One more thing to try about the tires is to check their cold temperature setting. I'm currently running 28 psi in front and 32 psi in the rears. I almost exclusively drive with just the weight of myself. If you drive with more weight in the car, then a higher tire pressure would be more appropriate. As someone else mentioned, the rubber compound on the OEM tires is a stiffer blend with does effect ride comfort.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:37 AM

2010 W204
Originally Posted by JimPap
huir,

One more thing to try about the tires is to check their cold temperature setting. I'm currently running 28 psi in front and 32 psi in the rears. I almost exclusively drive with just the weight of myself. If you drive with more weight in the car, then a higher tire pressure would be more appropriate. As someone else mentioned, the rubber compound on the OEM tires is a stiffer blend with does effect ride comfort.
Thanks, Jim. I checked this afternoon. I am running 26 psi in front and 31 psi in the rear.(sometimes it is 25 in left front ,26 in right front). Would this be the cause of the vibration? I am trying to keep the pressure a little bit lower in order to have a more "comfortable" ride.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
I've experimented with my Michelins HX MXM4s. If you're running the same tires, what you'll find is that below 27lbs in the fronts, the tires contribute additional noise. I don't think it would make them vibrate more. I'm more inclined to say that balancing that needs to also have the lateral runout check on one of the Hunter Road Force balancers.

31psi in the rears can be more comfortable.

Running 33psi in the rears for most of 55,000 miles showed that the center of the tire had slightly less tread that the sides. This would be a sign of over inflation. Whether its by 1 or 2 lbs is difficult to determine. I figured 1 lb would get it close enough.

Also, keep in mind that air guages vary. What shows up as 32 lbs on my gage can be 31 or 33 on someone elses.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
I've experimented with my Michelins HX MXM4s. If you're running the same tires, what you'll find is that below 27lbs in the fronts, the tires contribute additional noise. I don't think it would make them vibrate more. I'm more inclined to say that balancing that needs to also have the lateral runout check on one of the Hunter Road Force balancers.

31psi in the rears can be more comfortable.

Running 33psi in the rears for most of 55,000 miles showed that the center of the tire had slightly less tread that the sides. This would be a sign of over inflation. Whether its by 1 or 2 lbs is difficult to determine. I figured 1 lb would get it close enough.

Also, keep in mind that air guages vary. What shows up as 32 lbs on my gage can be 31 or 33 on someone elses.
I also run 33 psi in my rears & I also have slightly more centre tyre wear . So I will be running a little less in the future.Maybe 30 or 31.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
Originally Posted by kremou
WIND noise is not acceptable for money cost this car.Also increase fuel consumption and "Dumbo Ear" look cheap.Very bad for reputation of Mercedes to change side mirrors very soon after first car release,looks like bad design or fast production for market reason (probably against BMW 3series success).
Guess it is a matter of personal taste as I like the look of the old mirrors better than the "slash" look of the new ones. For the record, the mirrors were made so large to meet a European law that apparently was never acutually enacted. So it really has nothing to do with chasing another manufacturer or a bad initial design

Originally Posted by Carsy
I like my large rear view mirrors. A great view when parking & ultra wide angle when on the road. A really well thought out safety item. Safety bebore trendy looks for me anytime.
+1

Originally Posted by huir
Actually I am gonna bring the car to the dealer this week. There is only 2000 miles on my car. I have noticed the wind noise since the first time I was on the freeway with this car. And I told myself maybe I was a little bit picky about the wind noise, but come on, this is a mercedes. So I turned up the radio, and tolerated it for 2k miles. But last weekend, as I drove for a short trip of 200 miles on freeway, I had to again turn up up up up the radio to get the wind noise away. So I decide to bring it up.
And about the vibrating, I tried to tell myself that this is a sport car. But in the past month, I had some chances to sit in several Toyota's and Honda's sport car. I wouldn't say that my car vibrates much more on bumpy road than those cars, but at least, they vibrate equally. Am I expecting too much more from a mercedes? I am assuming the vibration is due to the tires. I am running the 17's. I will ask them to do a balance check on the car.

When I bring it to the dealer,how should describe my concern in order to make it clear to the advisor?
Just tell them you have excessive wind noise and you would like them to find the cause. If they act aloof, simply ask for the tech to ride with you. If they can't identify the exact cause, ask to drive another C Class and see if you can locate where your car is noiser.

As far as the vibrations, a tire inspection and balance, preferably a road force balance, sounds like a good first start. Make sure they check closely for any imperfections in the tires. Once again, if needed ask to drive another C Class to compare. Are you sure the vibrations are suspension related or could there be enigine/transmission involvement as well?
Old 08-03-2010, 09:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08 MB
Actually I am gonna bring the car to the dealer this week. There is only 2000 miles on my car. I have noticed the wind noise since the first time I was on the freeway with this car. And I told myself maybe I was a little bit picky about the wind noise, but come on, this is a mercedes. Am I expecting too much more from a mercedes?
I am curious as to what your final outcome is? I have the same issues with my 08 C350 and I have had 3 different tires on the car so it's not the tires but just the car that is overly loud IMO.

Often I feel too much vibration in my car as well and becomes very annoying. It happens the worst between 70-75mph and clears out at faster speeds.

Maybe we both are to picky but I'm looking to get rid of my car already as I did expect more out of it.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by racetested
I have the same issues with my 08 C350 and I have had 3 different tires on the car so it's not the tires but just the car that is overly loud IMO.
I put a WeatherTech mat in the trunk and it cut out a good bit of the road noise coming from the rear tires...not to mention making my trips to Lowes easier to clean up....
Old 08-03-2010, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
If we are now talking about road/tire noise, then check out this thread and an excellent solution I used in post #14 here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...d-you-use.html
Old 08-03-2010, 11:17 AM

08 MB
Originally Posted by Sportstick
If we are now talking about road/tire noise, then check out this thread and an excellent solution I used in post #14 here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...d-you-use.html
I agree with the OP that we just expected more from a car that costs what it does (mine was $45k loaded in 08).

I have done several stereo systems over the years and insulated my cars but as I get older I am getting over tearing my cars apart and modifying them. I'd rather get most of what I look for in a car from the factory and that should not be a hard task when looking at brands like MB, or is it.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by racetested
I agree with the OP that we just expected more from a car that costs what it does (mine was $45k loaded in 08).

I have done several stereo systems over the years and insulated my cars but as I get older I am getting over tearing my cars apart and modifying them. I'd rather get most of what I look for in a car from the factory and that should not be a hard task when looking at brands like MB, or is it.
If you are looking to be cosseted in nothing but quiet, calm luxury, it seems something like Lexus may be more suitable for you. I don't really understand why someone would pay 45K for a car and then feel that they have been shortchanged by the fact that it is noisy. After all, it is the baby Benz and is directed at a sportier demographic with it's staggared wheels/tires, more open exhaust, lowered ride height, etc.
If your noise problem is simply due to the uni directional tires getting noisy, replace them with non directionals next time and you can at least switch tires from side to side to keep the noise down.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
Sport,

I know you're right but there are some of us who want it both ways. A sporty car that's dead silent and rides very smooth.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:32 PM

08 MB
Originally Posted by C300Sport
If you are looking to be cosseted in nothing but quiet, calm luxury, it seems something like Lexus may be more suitable for you. I don't really understand why someone would pay 45K for a car and then feel that they have been shortchanged by the fact that it is noisy. After all, it is the baby Benz and is directed at a sportier demographic with it's staggared wheels/tires, more open exhaust, lowered ride height, etc.
This is my first MB and I'll know more what to look for on my next car in the luxury market. Lexus won't be it as they offer nothing that I like in the looks or performance department.

As far as buying a car and then having complaints down the road I don't see how that is unrealistic when a good deal of time is required in a car to really get a feel for it. For instance the 4 hour road trip(one way) I took a few weeks back left me very uncomfortable in this car but a dealer is not going to let me take the car for the weekend, put 600 miles on it and see how I like it. The same goes for the road noise on the open road.

I bought a Benz (C-class or not) I didn't think excessive road noise would be something I would have to worry about. Next time I'll know better and request a short freeway drive at least.

FYI, this car is not that sporty and that's why it's loud.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:47 PM

2010 W204
I think I just have to lower my expection, for this is a sport model... Actually, I am ok with the wind noise, but I just cant stand the vibration which is really making me uncomfortable sitting inside the car. I will bring the car in and see how the dealer says.

And one more thing, today I tried the tire pressure at 30 front and 33 back. I wouldnt say it fixed the vibration. But it gave a best MPG I've ever had with this car-- 27 MPG based on a 100 miles round trip.

Last edited by huir; 08-03-2010 at 11:49 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:35 AM

C180 AMG
I think I just have to lower my expection, for this is a sport model... Actually, I am ok with the wind noise, but I just cant stand the vibration which is really making me uncomfortable sitting inside the car. I will bring the car in and see how the dealer says.

And one more thing, today I tried the tire pressure at 30 front and 33 back. I wouldnt say it fixed the vibration. But it gave a best MPG I've ever had with this car-- 27 MPG based on a 100 miles round trip.

i have exatly the same problem with vibrating...
today morning i took it to the dealer foa a service
when i mentioned it,he told me that if cars behaves exactly as i ddescrived it,its not normal and they will do all the apropriate tests.
but he also said that is a sport car with "tough" tires ,and maybe is just normal and its me im not get used to drive a sport car
Old 08-04-2010, 07:49 AM

2009 C350W on EDP
This NVH is not Normal... Take it to Dealer ASAP

["And about the vibrating, I tried to tell myself that this is a sport car. But in the past month, I had some chances to sit in several Toyota's and Honda's sport car. I wouldn't say that my car vibrates much more on bumpy road than those cars, but at least, they vibrate equally. Am I expecting too much more from a mercedes? I am assuming the vibration is due to the tires. I am running the 17's. I will ask them to do a balance check on the car.

When I bring it to the dealer,how should describe my concern in order to make it clear to the advisor?]

The characterization of noise and vibration is VERY, VERY irregular as these cars ride like they are on rails, with little wind noise (especially as speed builds), and a barely detectable level of vibration from the suspension.

Your vehicle is described as a 2010 C300W with the stock wheels, and so the ride harshness and sound feedback from the road texture that is sometimes reported by vehicles equipped with the lower aspect ratio 18" AMG tires is not a factor.

I drove my European Delivery Plan 2009 C350W (with stock 17" AMG wheels + all-weather tires at 110-130 MPH on the autobahn and was amazed by how very quiet and composed the car was at these speeds. The point is that the car design is fine, there must be something wrong (damaged or incorrectly fabricated). Take it to the dealer and complain, and don't be satisfied until your car is a quiet and composed as other similar cars in their inventory. MB will want to make this right, give them the chance.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:12 AM

C180 AMG
Originally Posted by gorica79
i have exatly the same problem with vibrating...
today morning i took it to the dealer foa a service
when i mentioned it,he told me that if cars behaves exactly as i ddescrived it,its not normal and they will do all the apropriate tests.
but he also said that is a sport car with "tough" tires ,and maybe is just normal and its me im not get used to drive a sport car

just came back from the dealer..
they search everything,test it on road..all normal they said..
just the sport package drivea a litle more hard in road than other cars..
Old 08-04-2010, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
Originally Posted by gorica79
...snip... they said..
just the sport package drivea a litle more hard in road than other cars..
I was convinced of the same thing for close to 3 years...essentially, since they were released.

It wasn't until I replace the rear tires a 2 1/2 weeks ago that I found out that the OEM tires are made of harder rubber to get higher mpg ratings did I find out different.

To add to the experience, the tire shop didn't do as good a job balancing as they should have. This week I went back. They found that the lateral runout on one of the tires(plus rim) exceeded the maximum limit. Both rears were also somewhat out of balance. They got it worked out and I now have to say that the car rides a lot better than it ever has.

It is my opinion that with these cars, you have to be much more precise with the tires because the suspension is so stiff that it'll transmit rather than absorb any tire/wheel vibrations.

Are you still on the original tires?
Old 08-04-2010, 02:54 PM

C180 AMG
I was convinced of the same thing for close to 3 years...essentially, since they were released.

It wasn't until I replace the rear tires a 2 1/2 weeks ago that I found out that the OEM tires are made of harder rubber to get higher mpg ratings did I find out different.

To add to the experience, the tire shop didn't do as good a job balancing as they should have. This week I went back. They found that the lateral runout on one of the tires(plus rim) exceeded the maximum limit. Both rears were also somewhat out of balance. They got it worked out and I now have to say that the car rides a lot better than it ever has.

It is my opinion that with these cars, you have to be much more precise with the tires because the suspension is so stiff that it'll transmit rather than absorb any tire/wheel vibrations.

Are you still on the original tires?
i am..but i have experience with continental tires from my bmw..

had the same problem and when replace them with michelin,driving was much smoother

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: WIND NOISE and Vibrating