C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

LOW VOLUME ON AUX INPUT - again...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C300 Sport
LOW VOLUME ON AUX INPUT - again...

Hi everyone, been a while since I've been here but I got the new iPhone and I want to use the music features in my car...

I have a 2008 c300 sport, with MM
I do not have the iPod integration kit.

I've spent about 5 hours researching this site up and down, and all of the topics regarding this are from 2008/2009, with no real resolution.

Seems like the easy fix for those with the ipod kit is to get the amp, under warranty, of course.

What about for those without the ipod kit? Is there an inline amp that we can install on the Aux input?

Does the newest firmware for the MM COMMAND fix this?

Your help is appreciated!

Thanks
Old 08-20-2010, 12:41 AM

w205 - Black
Latest fw has aux out audio boost option.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:15 AM

C220
is there a way to see which FW version I have and which one is the latest?

I am in the same boat. I want to use the aux jack but the volume is too low. I am searching online for a simple amp to fix it.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:42 PM

'08 C300 Sport Manual
First time poster! I have the same problem.

I don't know much about audio systems, but I do know that the volume from my phone into the aux input is too low when maxed out. I tried a product called the Sound Shocker Pro because it was powerless and it did increase the volume, but it also reduced the sound quality significantly, specifically cutting out certain frequencies (basically, there was almost no bass).

Since my 2008 c300 only has bluetooth for telephony and not audio, I have already installed a dual USB adapter for the cigarette lighter, a USB dongle bluetooth wireless receiver which I plugged into the aux port (I have already verified that it is not the bluetooth receiver causing the volume or quality loss issue), and use the other USB port to provide power to my phone. Basically, I don't have power for a pre amp, and the cheapest of those are hundreds of dollars anyhow.

I've seen a couple of threads discussing this topic but still haven't found a solution since my audio interface looks different than others (presumably the others were different trim levels) with the 3.5mm aux input on the far wall of the glove box, no other interface.

Help!
Old 04-27-2014, 02:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
C350
Do you have the boost option in your aux menu on command? If not a new firmware will add that.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2010 C200 CGI
You can try using an inline amp such as a fiio e11/12 or the such. Powered by a USB cable which you can use the 12v outlet in the glovebox this should substantially boost the sound quality.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:26 AM

'08 C300 Sport Manual
Thanks for the responses, I'll probably check out TheRulesLawyer's first since that could be a free option, if I don't have any luck the filo amp looks like its reasonably priced. I'd probably also have to grab a USB hub since I'm already using both ports from my adapter (Bluetooth receiver and power to my phone), hopefully that still provides everything with enough power...

Will post results.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:13 PM

'08 C300 Sport Manual
I spoke to my local dealer on the phone and he was unfamiliar with this issue, but told me that they do have a procedure for checking for software updates. He said it would take about an hour and a half and would cost me about $150 just to look for software updates (since I'm out of warranty). Also, since it is something that would take a while, it wasn't something I could schedule for the weekend (had to be during the week). Since my work is about a half hour drive from the dealer, it would be rather inconvenient for me to do this during the week.

So I bought a Fiio amp. I did a little research and discovered that the e11/e12 do not work while they are charging. Since I would want it to always be charging in my glove box, that didn't seem like an optimal solution. I ended up purchasing the E07K which does work while it is plugged in. Unfortunately, once I had it all hooked up and working, I discovered that providing power to it did not turn the device on, so I would have to reach into my glove box every time I got into my car to power it on. Also, when the device is charging, I got some annoying feedback. It did boost the volume to about even with the radio on its highest settings.

So, the problem still isn't solved. I think for now I'm going to just use it without the amp for driving around town and possibly plug in the amp for long trips.

I did find this article which looks like exactly what I want, but it is instructions on how to build my own amp, soldering and all. Not only do I not even own a soldering iron, but even with the instructions this is way over my head. I hunted around to see if I could just buy the thing pre-assembled without any luck. I found the instructions interesting, though, when they pointed out that headphone amps aren't really tailored for a car aux input.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:35 PM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Do you think something like this would work:

http://boostaroo.com/store/Audio-Amplifiers

I have one on my motorcycle and it does increase the volume.
Mike T.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:34 PM

'08 C300 Sport Manual
mtrevelino - thanks for the suggestion. I originally overlooked the boostaroo because it didn't have much in the way of technical details on their site which scared me. Since I was pretty much out of options, I went ahead and bought the USB powered boostaroo. It fixed my problem for the most part, the aux input volume is still a little bit lower than the radio but it is a lot closer. I no longer have to reach into my glove box to power the thing on, it just turns on when its powered up through the USB adapter when I turn on the car. I'd consider myself satisfied.

So this ended up being my solution to an '08 C300 Sport with only telephone bluetooth connection (not audio):
Side note - I also bought a CD slot mount for my phone which I reallllly like, it centers my phone and is pretty easy to use with one hand. I also bought some cable clips that do a good job of managing along the center console the USB cables from the glove box used for powering mobile devices.Thanks for all the help!
Old 11-06-2015, 02:40 AM

w204
New owner

I'm having the same issue extremely low aux volume, it is still under warranty, what exactly do I need to ask to have fixed or updated?
Old 11-06-2015, 09:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 C300 Sport Calcite White / Black Anthracite
Originally Posted by TheRulesLawyer
Do you have the boost option in your aux menu on command? If not a new firmware will add that.
iPod connection kit installed but I had to do the same when I first connected my iPhone as the sound was very low.

*COMAND Operating Instructions*

Increasing the volume using COMAND
It may be the case that a device which is connected as an external audio source seems quieter or louder in the vehicle, or that the usual maximum volume cannot be achieved. The volume of some devices can be set
separately. In this case, start at a medium volume and then raise it slowly. This enables you to hear if the system can play the music without distortion even at high volumes.

Select Volume in the AUX display by turning the COMAND controller and press to confirm.
A menu appears. The dot indicates the current setting.
Select Standard or Boost and press to confirm.
Standard: the volume of the external audio source is adjusted to a standard value.
Boost: the volume of the external audio source is raised by approximately 10 dB.
Old 01-23-2024, 03:18 AM

w204 c200 kompressor year 2009
low aux volume

i have a mercedes w204 c200 kompressor year 2009 and my aux has low volume, i was thinking if for this product that i found on ali express that it can convert my actual radio and screen in android with car play. will it fix the problem, because the carplay has bluetooth and it can play music through that.
thank you
this is the product
wandering