C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Trunk Spoiler slipping off??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 c350
Trunk Spoiler slipping off??

hey guys,

i seem to notice that my trunk spoiler is slipping off like i see its further down and i see the glue that holds it together. the only thing that i can guess is causing the problem is my bass. but what do you guys think i should do ? i couldt opt for a carbon fiber one? or should i just push it back up ?
Old 08-22-2010, 03:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
His mama. Traded y0 mama in because she was squeaking.
Don't drive so fast?
Old 08-22-2010, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
I am sorry to sound like a broken record, but I keep repeating on all these spoiler threads that there are enough reports of the tape adhesive failing that a bead of urethane should be used. MB makes the urethane product; others probably do as well. This is not just a cosmetic problem. If that spoiler comes off at highway speeds, you could have the lives of the people in the car behind you at stake.

The original adhesive, whether 3M or other, was designed according to a set of specifications for application which likely include ambient temp, surface temp, amount of application pressure, duration of that pressure, surface preparation, surface contour. With great respect to the technical knowledge of everyone here, it is more likely than not that we do not know and usually do not achieve all the conditions in the original adhesive specs.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:59 PM
Niti24

I need to look for that as well. Mine is pretty solid right now but like Sportstick said, I dont want it to hit anyone while I drive, especially since I like to drive fast.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 c350
That sounds really dangerous , why not call your dealer and ask them how to go about it . I'm sure if you had the right glue it would be fine but i wouldn't feel comfortable even if that were the case.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
His mama. Traded y0 mama in because she was squeaking.
Nothing a roll of duct tape and a few feet of bailing wire can't fix...
Old 08-22-2010, 11:09 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
'20 Targa 4 DD, ' 18 Volvo S60 T6
Originally Posted by Sathinas
Nothing a roll of duct tape and a few feet of bailing wire can't fix...
LOL
Old 08-23-2010, 12:03 AM

08 c350
well sportstick i get what your saying but i do have my stock spoiler, im just NOW noticing that it is slipping off and asking the forum for advise on what i should do to fix it..
Old 08-23-2010, 02:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes C300 Sport, BMW 745Li, VW Mk6 Golf TDI
Take it off as the adhesive seems to already be compromised. Clean off the trunk surface completely, wash, clay, and give it an IPA wipedown to give the adhesive a perfect surface to bond to. Clean the surface completely on the underside of the spoiler with a combination of goo-gone and IPA. Apply 3M tape to underside of spoiler and use a hair dryer to slowly move up and down the tape, pressing down as the adhesive expands from the heat. Let it sit for a few hours to properly bond. Pull the car out in the sun to let the surface heat up. Give the tape one more run with a hair dryer to prep the adhesive, then apply it to the trunk. Hold it down with blue tape and let it sit out in the sun for a few hours.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by kevinwithdabenz
well sportstick i get what your saying but i do have my stock spoiler, im just NOW noticing that it is slipping off and asking the forum for advise on what i should do to fix it..
I think Michael's advice is good, but I would add the bead of urethane across the full width of the underside of the spoiler before attaching, next to where the adhesive tape runs, and then let the whole thing set for the day. Don't plan on removing it easily!
Old 08-23-2010, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes C300 Sport, BMW 745Li, VW Mk6 Golf TDI
yeah, if you're dead set for sure that you won't be removing the spoiler later, I'd drop a few beads of urethane like Sportstick recommends, but if you ever want to change the look of the car by de-spoilering, or chaning spoilers, stick with double sided tape. Either method depends on your goals.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:54 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
'20 Targa 4 DD, ' 18 Volvo S60 T6
After you take off the spoiler wipe trunk and spoiler surface thoroughly with lacquer thinner or body shop grade prep clean (wax, silicon, grease remover).

You don't really need to do any thing else.

If you get the industrial grade tape from the body shop supply shop it should be more than enough to hold the spoiler. Not all double sided tapes are equal and the consumer grade stuff is generally meant for indoor application on static surfaces.