C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Anyone ever had Palladium Panel/Bumper Repainted?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2010 | 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C300 Sport/Palladium Silver on Black/P2
Anyone ever had Palladium Panel/Bumper Repainted?

I am considering having my Palladium rear bumper on W204 repainted. A guy rear ended it a while back. Left a dime size, shallow dent, and two tiny chips. Amazing the force of impact that the damage was so small.

My worry is how well the Palladium is going to match to the adjacent pieces.

Has anyone here had to have Palladium resprayed on a single bumper or panel and how did it turn out?

Thanks!
Old 08-23-2010 | 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

15 E200CGI SPORT
I got my front bumper and hood repainted and it looks fine to me.
Old 08-23-2010 | 11:31 PM

'20 Targa 4 DD, ' 18 Volvo S60 T6
Don't worry about it the body shop will blend the base color at least 24 inches out then clear the whole bumper. If it's next to the quarter panel you won't notice simply because the surface angles & reflectivity it different anyway.

It could be a huge color variation and 99.9% people would not notice
Old 08-24-2010 | 12:45 AM

C
Just go to a reputable body shop in your area and it'll be fine. As noted above most people can't tell it has been repainted
Old 08-24-2010 | 01:01 AM

I've had almost the same thing on my car. I went to a great shop and it came out perfect.
Old 08-24-2010 | 01:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C300 Sport/Palladium Silver on Black/P2
Thanks.

I'm going to a Mercedes approved shop, actually they were even called Mercedes Body Shop until they started doing other brands too.

However, when I asked them about the matching.

They even told me it might not be perfect, which is when I really got worried.

$800-900, and they said, it's true, the paint always mixes up different, so it will never be identical.

I just worry about how close, hopefully it would be ok.

You guys sound confident and made me feel better. Thanks.
Old 08-24-2010 | 08:09 AM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Yes - Mommy bashed the corner. Used Glasurit system - Waterbased base coat & nano clear coat - match perfect.
Old 08-24-2010 | 08:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
JBSpeed sold me a decklid spoiler manufactured and painted thousands of miles away with nothing more than knowing the Palladium paint code......perfect match. So, it's possible.
Old 08-24-2010 | 01:23 PM

\
Originally Posted by whiteongrey
Don't worry about it the body shop will blend the base color at least 24 inches out then clear the whole bumper. If it's next to the quarter panel you won't notice simply because the surface angles & reflectivity it different anyway.

It could be a huge color variation and 99.9% people would not notice

OK So according to Mercedes and a few other body shops I've talked to, there's no such thing as blending metallic paints, because you would get a band of metallic chips where you attempted to blend. You can only repaint entire body panels at a time, which is why I needed half of my car repainted when someone ran a key down the side of it. I would just make sure Mercedes does it, I wouldn't trust panel matching to anyone else.
Old 08-24-2010 | 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Originally Posted by Peabody
OK So according to Mercedes and a few other body shops I've talked to, there's no such thing as blending metallic paints, because you would get a band of metallic chips where you attempted to blend. You can only repaint entire body panels at a time, which is why I needed half of my car repainted when someone ran a key down the side of it. I would just make sure Mercedes does it, I wouldn't trust panel matching to anyone else.
Most Mercedes dealerships do not have inhouse paint shops, so just because you bring it to Mercedes to have it repainted doesn't mean they are doing it. They may take your car and your money, but they are subcontracting it out. The body shop is correct in that, there is no way to match metallic paints 100%. A good shop can get it to as close as possible.
Old 08-24-2010 | 03:12 PM

\
Sorry, but all dealership Mercedes service centers in Germany do their own paint work as far as I know. I'm quite positive mine did, as their paint tech had been painting cars for Mercedes for over 30 years. Maybe you can blend certain colors to a certain amount of success, but Mercedes does not recommend trying to blend Iridium Silver at the very least, and the two other body shops I took it to for a second opinion said the same thing.

Last edited by Peabody; 08-24-2010 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-24-2010 | 05:24 PM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
You can safely patch repair & blend with the Glasurit system. I've had a spot repair on one front fender of my 203 & another on my rear bumper by Dent Magic in Cape Town & you can see absolutely no sign of it whatsoever. Iridium Silver. In fact I frequently challenge people to.

Dent Magic do it on Benz cars every day of their lives including new plant cars damaged in transit.
Old 08-25-2010 | 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Sorry, but all dealership Mercedes service centers in Germany do their own paint work as far as I know. I'm quite positive mine did, as their paint tech had been painting cars for Mercedes for over 30 years. Maybe you can blend certain colors to a certain amount of success, but Mercedes does not recommend trying to blend Iridium Silver at the very least, and the two other body shops I took it to for a second opinion said the same thing.
Unfortunately, that is not the case here in the US. That would be great if it were like that, but here they subcontract it out to a mercedes affiliated dealership. One would assume that they are held to a certain degree of quality since that dealership is responsible for getting your car painted.
Old 08-25-2010 | 08:01 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Blending metallics

I have had a few MBs repaired and they have turned out as I required which means undetectable. The cars below were done at different shops and the C280 in Garnet Red Metallic was perfect. If I didn't tell you that RF door color was blended you couldn't spot it. The hood and RF fender were replaced also plus various other bits for a total of $8400. The Obsidian Black Metallic C320 was in for rock chip repair and the blending of the color on the hood was perfect.

Neither shop was associated with MB.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone ever had Palladium Panel/Bumper Repainted?-c280-right-side.jpg   Anyone ever had Palladium Panel/Bumper Repainted?-c320paintrepair-1.jpg