C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

What To Know Re: "Paperwork"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2010 | 12:44 PM

C300 Sport
What To Know Re: "Paperwork"

So at long (long) last, I will be going in to "do the paperwork" for my 2011 C Class. I am sure I will be hit with a bunch of options regarding service / maintenance packages, warranties, etc.

I am wondering what your experiences have been and would appreciate any bits of advice you may have.

E.g., is the pre-paid maintenance package worth it? I am financing the car and have no desire to sell it any time in the future. I'm a safe-ish driver, do not drive too much, and am planning on getting the longest warranty possible but would like to hear your own experiences with warranties. Anything else I might want to know?

Any thoughts are much appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 09-07-2010 | 01:33 PM

2011 E350 Sport 4Matic - P2 & Drivers Assist / 2010 C300 Sport 4Matic - P2 / 2013 Porsche Cayenne S
See if your dealer offers the "Extended Wheel and Tire" warranty package; not all of them do. Since you live in Boston and the roads are just as "fabulous" as in NJ this might come in handy for you. The dealer will explain to you what this package covers. I have it on both of my Benz's and recommend it to everyone.

Congrats on the car btw...
Old 09-07-2010 | 05:50 PM

2008 C300 Sport 6MT X-Pipe
Where did you buy from?

Yes! Like mentioned, take advantage of the tire / wheel protection. I purchased my car at Flagship and they offered it to me. Good luck and congrats!
Old 09-07-2010 | 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Turn down any rustproofing, interior protection, exterior paint sealant, etc. Huge dealer profit margin with little real lasting value.
Old 09-07-2010 | 08:16 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Warranties

Originally Posted by Junkmonkey
So at long (long) last, I will be going in to "do the paperwork" for my 2011 C Class. I am sure I will be hit with a bunch of options regarding service / maintenance packages, warranties, etc.

I am wondering what your experiences have been and would appreciate any bits of advice you may have.

E.g., is the pre-paid maintenance package worth it? I am financing the car and have no desire to sell it any time in the future. I'm a safe-ish driver, do not drive too much, and am planning on getting the longest warranty possible but would like to hear your own experiences with warranties. Anything else I might want to know?

Any thoughts are much appreciated!

Thanks!
I would hold off on buying any kind of extended warranty at the time of purchase. The salesman will likely tell you (thinking of his commission) that if you don't buy it then and there that it will cost more later. Fact is, there is a huge markup and they can price it wherever they want, just to reel you in and further, it will be available right up until the factory warranty expires at the same price.

As far as I'm concerned, the jury is still out on whether you should buy one at anytime for the C Class because of the now known reliability of the car. Not to mention that comparing the cost to how expensive out of warranty repairs are likely to be and whether you may replace it before then, anyway.
Old 09-07-2010 | 09:45 PM

c300
search independent mechanics in your area that service mb cars and have them quote you for A/B services. that will give you a gauge on whether or not the prepaid service plans are worth it or not. for me, it was not even close.

wheel and tire package may be worthwhile.. depending on if you plan on keeping the original tires or not. the rims are very well built and shouldn't really bend/crack on impact of any everyday pot hole. your problem will be with the tires (sidewall bubbles). if you decide that you will upgrade the tires (or rims) at any time, forget about the package and buy tires with optional road hazard warranty.
Old 09-07-2010 | 10:38 PM

2011 E350 4 Matic
I have the car for almost 3 years and am also planning to keep the car for at least 2 more years. The ext warranty is about CAD $2500 and am planning to buy it before the mfg warranty is up.

Here are some things that I have had repaired/replaced (don't have all the prices):

1) both seat pockets (behind the front seats) had to be replaced as they both broke within 1.5 yrs)
2) Left rear door handle broke, panel had to be replaced (would have been $600)
3) Driver side mirror
4) Sunroof repair
5) bulging inside door handle "cups" (where the orange illumination is)

Overall these are minor and don't make me regret my purchase but I would not be happy if I had to pay for these type of things. If they happen in the 1st 3 years it can also happen again after they have been replaced before.

I like the peace of mind but the problem is that the extended warranty does not cover everything and you are not able to get a list of the things that are not covered. So you may think that you are covered but won't find out until they MB tech has diagnosed the issue and then to find out that it isnt covered under the warranty.
Old 09-08-2010 | 10:43 AM

C300 Sport
... Updating my checklist ...

Thanks for all the feedback and the congrats. Couple more questions:

Originally Posted by RLE
I would hold off on buying any kind of extended warranty at the time of purchase. The salesman will likely tell you (thinking of his commission) that if you don't buy it then and there that it will cost more later. Fact is, there is a huge markup and they can price it wherever they want, just to reel you in and further, it will be available right up until the factory warranty expires at the same price
That's interesting, and yet confusing. I have experience pricing warranties so it strikes me as odd that the dealers have the authority to set warranty prices and that the warranty would be available for the same price the longer you own the car. One would think the cost should increase with length of ownership. Any idea as to why dealers are allowed to do this? Are they given a minimum price and then asked to "find the sucker" willing to pay more?

Also, the factory warranty is 4 years / 50k (right?) so, to be clear, I can purchase an extended warranty any time, so long as I have not owned the car for more than 4 years or driven more than 50k miles, correct?

Originally Posted by absolutleo
if you decide that you will upgrade the tires (or rims) at any time, forget about the package and buy tires with optional road hazard warranty.
Do you mean: immediately go out and buy new tires which will come with a road hazard warranty, the cost of which will be less than the wheel/tire package? Or do you mean: if you plan to upgrade your tires some time in the future, then forego the wheel/tire package, wait until you need new tires, then go out and buy a new pair with a road hazard warranty?

Reading comprehension not so good.
Old 09-08-2010 | 11:21 AM
IGB

'08 C300 MM Pano
That's interesting, and yet confusing. I have experience pricing warranties so it strikes me as odd that the dealers have the authority to set warranty prices and that the warranty would be available for the same price the longer you own the car. One would think the cost should increase with length of ownership. Any idea as to why dealers are allowed to do this? Are they given a minimum price and then asked to "find the sucker" willing to pay more?
You ever heard of "Manufacturer SUGGESTED Retail Price"? The "suggested" term is where MB sets the price and the dealers are then able to reduce it to whatever level.

Point is, regardless of what price you are told they'll sell it for, that price is "negotiable", even though some dealers may not be willing to negotiate.
Old 09-08-2010 | 04:02 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
... Updating my checklist ...

Thanks for all the feedback and the congrats. Couple more questions:

Also, the factory warranty is 4 years / 50k (right?) so, to be clear, I can purchase an extended warranty any time, so long as I have not owned the car for more than 4 years or driven more than 50k miles, correct?

Reading comprehension not so good.
The original factory warranty commences when the car is first registered and continues for the stated period. Extended warranties begin when the original warranty expires. So when vague statements are made about seven year extended warranties they really mean three years for a total of seven.

If you buy a used car with a transferred MB warranty, it still expires at 4/50.

When I purchased the MB extended warranty for my unlamented 2001 C320 near the end of the original warranty, an additional four years and 50K miles was tacked on the end for $1800 which was a world class bargain considering that another $2900 was spent on failures in the final two years after which I received an un-prorated refund for the unused portion of $900.

As to what the dealers may ask for an extended warranty, they pay a wholesale price to the insurer, just like everything else they sell and they can sell it for whatever price they like.

There is a dealer somewhere is the US that has been selling MB warranties for a knock down price for several years now (info elsewhere here) and that could (should) be used to bargain with your dealer.

Why pay retail?