C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Never leave some one in the car and lock the door by your keys

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 05:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C220 09
Never leave some one in the car and lock the door by your keys

Anyone noticed if you lock your car by key,anyone in the car would stuck there forever?!?
Doors cant be opened from inside, You cant push horn, no lights, flasher.... windows will be locked....... total quarantine.

I found this quite weir as if you lock ur door accidentally while someone is in the car, only MB dealer i think can get pp out of the car unless the pp inside have spare key.
I tested motion sensor think, its got nothing to do with this.
My old BMW wasnt like this.
Its like an option to catch thief or joke with ur friends...

Sorry if this topic is too obvious for you, i'm just curious if there is any way to get of the car if you dont have access to any cell phone.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:44 AM

W204, W220, S15 Silvia
erm, i could, i just pull the door leaver and the car unlocks, but the alarm will go off..
even if you're locked in, just press the security alarm button and people will be coming to rescue
Old 09-15-2010, 07:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C300 Sport
This is probably where the US door lock pins that stick out even when locked come in handy.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by bnam
This is probably where the US door lock pins that stick out even when locked come in handy.
I have not tried this on our 204 but I thought US cars have the different door lock pin because doors would not open from the handle while Euro cars do (except rear doors if child locks are active, isn't that now a US feature too).
Old 09-15-2010, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C300 Sport/Palladium Silver on Black/P2
On a US Car, the front door handles always opens the car. The alarm can be on, anything. I've done this myself.

I've been sitting in the car playing around with the radio, used the lock/alarm, and got out by opening the door handle. The alarm just goes off.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
W205 C400
Originally Posted by mac911
On a US Car, the front door handles always opens the car. The alarm can be on, anything. I've done this myself.

I've been sitting in the car playing around with the radio, used the lock/alarm, and got out by opening the door handle. The alarm just goes off.
Same here, you can always open your door from inside with the handle, cant imagine that is different in the UK
Old 09-15-2010, 10:12 PM

C220 09
Originally Posted by Petje
Same here, you can always open your door from inside with the handle, cant imagine that is different in the UK
Ofcourse you can open the door with handle if its locked what i am saying is if you lock your door with your keys while u are inside, you cant open the door by just pulling the handle, you have to use your key again. imagine u outside and u lock some one inside by accident. he will be trapped.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by kavehh
Ofcourse you can open the door with handle if its locked what i am saying is if you lock your door with your keys while u are inside, you cant open the door by just pulling the handle, you have to use your key again. imagine u outside and u lock some one inside by accident. he will be trapped.
Your statements before and after the winking smiley face contradict each other.

We can open the door from the inside by pulling the interior door handle, even if locked previously through use of the remote entry system on the key. U.S. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards require this to be the case for the driver door. The passenger door interior handle override of the locking system is at the manufacturer's discretion. The rear door interior handles may not override the lock.

Have you tried opening the interior door handle on both front doors after locking them first?
Old 09-15-2010, 11:23 PM

2010 C300 4Matic
Canadian models does the same arm it while inside and and you can still open it from inside and alarm will just go off. I am just wondering how can you lock it with your keys while you are inside or why will you lock it using your keys while someone is inside?
Old 09-15-2010, 11:37 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Anyone noticed if you lock your car by key,anyone in the car would stuck there forever?!?
Doors cant be opened from inside, You cant push horn, no lights, flasher.... windows will be locked....... total quarantine.

I found this quite weir as if you lock ur door accidentally while someone is in the car, only MB dealer i think can get pp out of the car unless the pp inside have spare key.
I tested motion sensor think, its got nothing to do with this.
My old BMW wasnt like this.
Its like an option to catch thief or joke with ur friends...

Sorry if this topic is too obvious for you, i'm just curious if there is any way to get of the car if you dont have access to any cell phone.
Break the window with your skull and climb out. Sure as hell you couldn't hurt it, being made of concrete as it is.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C300 Sport/Palladium Silver on Black/P2
How will he be trapped? He will just use the door handle as you said he could.

I think we'll get to the bottom of this, eventually.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W205 C400
If i leave my wife inside the car and lock the door with my key, she can pull the handle and she's out, all doors will be unlocked and she can go out of the car (the only thing is that my alarm will go off....)

And dont know how it is in the UK and US, but i also have two buttons in my door , one to lock the doors and one to unlock the doors without a key.

You can always leave the car if you want!!! Safety rules!!

What you must not do.... like i have a couple of weeks ago.... open your trunk with the key, throw your stuff in the trunk, close the trunk, here the "bleep,bleep,bleep" and remember that your key is also in the trunk now.

Than you have a problem and must wait a hour to lett somebody bring your spare key

So if you leave your wife in the trunk, close it and go away, than she is trapped. But not in the car itself.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:31 AM

W204, W220, S15 Silvia
LOL tones of people swarming in to prove the thread opener wrong
Old 09-16-2010, 06:09 AM
Administrator

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Since the OP is so expressive about this. Lets try this. Lock the car with the metal blade of the key instead of electronically. Now reach in through the open window and see if the inside door pull will allow you to unlock and open the door. But make sure that your key is far away from the car when you do this.

Maybe this is what he is attempting to say. Who knows.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:38 AM

C220 09
I checked once more, before you making any comment about my credibility, you better try a vehicle in UK, almost every car come in different config in UK and US.
Here is the case i tried just 5 min ago:

I approached toward my car, opened the door with my car keys, got inside, locked the door with my car keys again. Now when i use the interior door handle both on driver side and passenger side, IT WILL NOT OPEN. when i cross my hand close to lights on the roof, the alarm starts and i still cant open the door, only thing that is working is flashing amber lights. i'm not sure what case u got back in US but in my car is like this. Obviously no one on earth would lock themselves with their car keys lol but u might lock the door by your keys while someone is in your car, happened to me, i locked the door while my friend was speaking with his phone in the car, i thought he got out so i locked the door and i was talking to my neighbour for 5 min while he was stuck in the car and banging on wind shield(i was ignoring his calls lol)

Well i would post a video if i found any free time at weekend
Peaceee
Old 09-16-2010, 08:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I checked once more, before you making any comment about my credibility, you better try a vehicle in UK, almost every car come in different config in UK and US.

I approached toward my car, opened the door with my car keys, got inside, locked the door with my car keys again. Now when i use the interior door handle both on driver side and passenger side, IT WILL NOT OPEN. when i cross my hand close to lights on the roof, the alarm starts and i still cant open the door, only thing that is working is flashing amber lights. i'm not sure what case u got back in US but in my car is like this. Obviously no one on earth would lock themselves with their car keys lol but u might lock the door by your keys while someone is in your car, happened to me, i locked the door while my friend was speaking with his phone in the car, i thought he got out so i locked the door and i was talking to my neighbour for 5 min while he was stuck in the car and banging on wind shield(i was ignoring his calls lol)

Peaceee
Hopefully someone else can test another UK car. I can test another European car later on but this is what the car manual from the MB UK web site says:
http://www4.mercedes-benz.com/manual...shtml#d92e7998
Unlocking and opening doors from the inside

You can open a door from inside the vehicle even if it has been locked, unless the child-proof locks have been activated more.

Pull door handle .
If the door is locked, locking knob pops up. The door is unlocked and can be opened.

That is "doors can be opened from inside even if the vehicle has been locked" except if child locks are actuated, but those only exist at the rear doors. If this car behaves differently, I believe you should bring it to a workshop to be fixed.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:51 AM

C220 09
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
Hopefully someone else can test another UK car. I can test another European car later on but this is what the car manual from the MB UK web site says:

You can open a door from inside the vehicle even if it has been locked, unless the child-proof locks have been activated more.

Pull door handle .
If the door is locked, locking knob pops up. The door is unlocked and can be opened.

That is "doors can be opened from inside even if the vehicle has been locked" except if child locks are actuated, but those only exist at the rear doors. If this car behaves differently, I believe you should bring it to a workshop to be fixed.
I better mention that I don't insert the keys into ignition part when I'm inside the vehicle. Obviously if u put ur keys in there doors can be opened by handle. This is when u have ur keys in your hand.

Thank you for ur post,I'm getting the car for servive today and will ask them about this
Old 09-16-2010, 08:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W205 C400

Peaceee
Think this is an UK thing..... strange.... Here in The Netherlands you can always open it!!!

I currious what your service guy says about this......

Keep us posted.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz

Pull door handle .

So to simplify, is this saying to pull the inside handle once to unlock, then release the handle and pull a second time to actually open the door?
Old 09-16-2010, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by C300Sport
So to simplify, is this saying to pull the inside handle once to unlock, then release the handle and pull a second time to actually open the door?
I can see room for this interpretation but our (non-UK European) manual has the same text and the door opens straight away when I tried it. The locking knob pops up only from the door whose handle is used but the door lock opens from the first pull.

I tried it on the 221 too and it behaves the same way (even if opening with the metal key from outside works at two steps).
Old 09-16-2010, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C300 Sport, MM, P1
If i leave my wife inside the car and lock the door with my key, she can pull the handle and she's out, all doors will be unlocked and she can go out of the car (the only thing is that my alarm will go off....)

And dont know how it is in the UK and US, but i also have two buttons in my door , one to lock the doors and one to unlock the doors without a key.

What you must not do.... like i have a couple of weeks ago.... open your trunk with the key, throw your stuff in the trunk, close the trunk, here the "bleep,bleep,bleep" and remember that your key is also in the trunk now.

Than you have a problem and must wait a hour to lett somebody bring your spare key

So if you leave your wife in the trunk, close it and go away, than she is trapped. But not in the car itself.
Even if she is in the trunk "locked" she can still press the green emergency release button and pop open the trunk. You might want to find a better place to trap someone.... uhhh. that just sounded creepy.. trapping = bad.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe

I have done the same thing with my key in the trunk at least twice... Kind of makes me wish I got Mbrace on my vehicle (remote unlock). But, luckily for a person, there is a green button they can push on the inside of the trunk that will open it. If only I could teach my "smartkey" to push the button too...
Old 09-17-2010, 05:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W205 C400
Originally Posted by Savage c-300
Even if she is in the trunk "locked" she can still press the green emergency release button and pop open the trunk. You might want to find a better place to trap someone.... uhhh. that just sounded creepy.. trapping = bad.
Originally Posted by jctevere
I have done the same thing with my key in the trunk at least twice... Kind of makes me wish I got Mbrace on my vehicle (remote unlock). But, luckily for a person, there is a green button they can push on the inside of the trunk that will open it. If only I could teach my "smartkey" to push the button too...
Thats an US spec. i think, we havent got a green button in the trunk.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:49 AM

C220 09
Took the car to service,the service manager was a lady and she didn't know much about technical stuff,she said she will share the issue with technician ad let me know, she also said its strange and the door should open even if u lock the doors with your key in your hand while u are in car....
Old 09-18-2010, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C230 6speed/14 C63
In U.S MODELS

If the key is present in the ignition, your sitting in the car, doors locked. It can it unlocked ONLY from the front passenger or driver by pulling the handle or unlock button, ALARM WILL NOT GO OFF.

If the key is NOT present in the ignition, your sitting in the car, doors locked, ONLY driver and front passenger doors will bypass the locking system only by pulling the handle, unlock button will NOT work and ALARM WILL GO OFF.

Last edited by 97W202; 09-18-2010 at 02:10 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Never leave some one in the car and lock the door by your keys