C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Quiet high performance all season tires?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quiet high performance all season tires?

Hi all,

I need help from those of you with personal experience of Continental DWS and Michelin PS A/S Plus tires (17 inch preferred -- I believe that the 17- and 18-inch Conti DWS may not be built the same way).

Background: My rear OEM Contis are close to worn out (2 years, 14k). Had been happy with them, especially noise-wise, but they were not great in the snow and the precision/turn-in could have been a smidgen better. Smoothness on impact was also not that great, so I thought I'd try something performing better.

Decision: After poring through forums and TireRack's site, I narrowed my choice down to Continental DWS and Michelin PS AS+. I have the latter on my C230k, and they have been great all around (including in major snowstorms), so I decided to go for Bibendum's offering.

Problem: Installed Michelin Pilot Sport AS/Plus a couple of days ago. While they are all I could ever want handling-wise (incredibly grippy and precise, sharp turn-in -- truly fun in the twisties, tracking straight on highway), the noise increase is more than what I would like.

My question: Would the DWS be quieter? My installer has kindly agreed to swap the tires for something else. Anyone has experience with both AS+ and DWS and can provide a comparison?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Old 09-24-2010, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
DWS may be quieter, but you are trading off dry handling and steering response. Check the tirerack survey data. I also have the Pilot Sport A/S Plus and noted the initial increase in noise over the OE Contis. But, unless I have lost my ability to distinguish accommodation over time, I am fairly certain, as the tires broke in, they got quieter. They are very good for road noise now, and I would not personally give up the Michelin's more precise reflexes for the wet/snow superiority of DWS, although I can say this, as I swap to dedicated winter tires. If you don't, you may need the DWS for all it can deliver to get you through a winter.

If you are noise-sensitive, check out my contribution to this earlier thread. This one afternoon project (low tech, but takes a few hours) made a huge difference in road/exhaust noise reduction.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...d-you-use.html
Old 09-24-2010, 11:24 AM

N/A
These are really quiet all-seasons...

https://mbworld.org/forums/wheels-ti...s-5-miles.html
Old 09-24-2010, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Sportstick
I also have the Pilot Sport A/S Plus and noted the initial increase in noise over the OE Contis. But, unless I have lost my ability to distinguish accommodation over time, I am fairly certain, as the tires broke in, they got quieter. (...)

If you are noise-sensitive, check out my contribution to this earlier thread. This one afternoon project (low tech, but takes a few hours) made a huge difference in road/exhaust noise reduction.[/url]
Thank you for this info! I was indeed hoping that break-in would help -- it's almost as if the tires are "sticking" to the road (good for driving, not so good for noise), almost like some new sports shoes on lacquered floors.

Questions:

(i) did you notice the improvement from breaking in the Michelins before or after you made your sound-proofing mod?

(ii) Your insulation mod sounds (no pun intended...) good, but I am not keen on gluing any material to the car. I notice that, like me, you have WeatherTech mats; do you think that gluing the material to the bottom of the Weather Tech mat might help dampen the sounds from the trunk well?
Old 09-24-2010, 12:42 PM

2009 Arctic White/Black C350 with NAV pkg, ipod integration, 40% HO tint, and 18" 5-spoke AMG wheels
I had the Pilot Sport A/S on my last car and they worked well, but when I got my current car and they had the Continental DWS', I really liked the quietness of the tires and the handling worked well. I have not had a chance to try them out in inclement weather, so not sure how well they work -- I hear nothing but good things though.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Bluewater41
I had the Pilot Sport A/S on my last car and they worked well, but when I got my current car and they had the Continental DWS', I really liked the quietness of the tires and the handling worked well. I have not had a chance to try them out in inclement weather, so not sure how well they work -- I hear nothing but good things though.
Thank you -- on your last car, did you have A/S or A/S+ tires?
Old 09-24-2010, 12:56 PM

2009 Arctic White/Black C350 with NAV pkg, ipod integration, 40% HO tint, and 18" 5-spoke AMG wheels
Originally Posted by ayilar
Thank you -- on your last car, did you have A/S or A/S+ tires?
I had the A/S, not the A/S+...so I guess my assessment doesn't help out as much
Old 09-24-2010, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Bluewater41
I had the A/S, not the A/S+...so I guess my assessment doesn't help out as much
It does -- thanks!
Old 09-24-2010, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Thank you for this info! I was indeed hoping that break-in would help -- it's almost as if the tires are "sticking" to the road (good for driving, not so good for noise), almost like some new sports shoes on lacquered floors.

Questions:

(i) did you notice the improvement from breaking in the Michelins before or after you made your sound-proofing mod?

(ii) Your insulation mod sounds (no pun intended...) good, but I am not keen on gluing any material to the car. I notice that, like me, you have WeatherTech mats; do you think that gluing the material to the bottom of the Weather Tech mat might help dampen the sounds from the trunk well?

Tires were in March, sound dampening in September, so the improvement from breaking-in occurred before that. But, like you, I still wanted it quieter. Although there will be some noise variation among tires, the car has its own inherent problem with the lack of sound insulation in the spare tire area, so no tire will achieve what the MB engineers should have for noise reduction, which may be what you and I both desire.

I would not be so leery about applying the Damplifier Pro in the spare tire well. No one will ever see it, unless you show it off, but you will immediately appreciate it. The likely downside of simply applying it to the bottom of the WeatherTech mat is that you will be trying to suppress noise already generated by the amplifying action of the plastic spare tire well. Applying the Damplifier Pro directly to the well likely changes its characteristics so that it does not amplify road/exhaust sound inside your trunk to the same degree. Once you stick on the first piece, it's just the fun of a do-it-yourself jigsaw puzzle...I really believe you will like the results.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:27 PM

I would not be so leery about applying the Damplifier Pro in the spare tire well. (...) The likely downside of simply applying it to the bottom of the WeatherTech mat is that you will be trying to suppress noise already generated by the amplifying action of the plastic spare tire well.
Good point. I wonder whether applying the same company's "Luxury Liner Pro" to the bottom of the Weathertech liner might help.

Q1: Any thoughts?

Tires were in March, sound dampening in September, so the improvement from breaking-in occurred before that.
Extremely useful info -- thank you!

Q2: Anyone else with a similar experience with PS AS+ break-in and/or comparisons of AS/+ vs. DWS or CTP?
Old 09-24-2010, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Good point. I wonder whether applying the same company's "Luxury Liner Pro" to the bottom of the Weathertech liner might help.

Q1: Any thoughts?

Extremely useful info -- thank you!
Actually an interesting idea.....for forty bucks, I will try one sheet (9 sq. ft.) as an additional layer! Can't hurt (assuming not minding the extra weight)!
Old 09-27-2010, 06:56 PM

Update after 100 miles with the tires:

Quality: Those tires are a real pleasure to drive spiritedly -- sharp and stick like glue, rain or shine, and the steering response is truly excellent. Braking distance in emergency stops is one thing I still have to check, but I don't expect any issues.

Quietness: The increase in road noise, compared to the OEM Continentals, is noticeable only at lower speeds -- say 20 to 30 mph. On the highway, the car is actually quieter than what I remember of the OEM Contis. Indeed, sound levels are pleasantly low on the highway.

In other words, there is more audible white noise on good-quality regular tarmac -- whereas on bad roads or on the highway, the tires are if anything better than the Contis (the thumping on ridges or potholes seems to generate lower-frequency sounds than the CPC OEMs, and hence is less bothersome).

I will report more after breaking the tires in some more. Meanwhile, thoughts/experiences welcome!
Old 09-27-2010, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Update after 100 miles with the tires:

Quality: Those tires are a real pleasure to drive spiritedly -- sharp and stick like glue, rain or shine, and the steering response is truly excellent. Braking distance in emergency stops is one thing I still have to check, but I don't expect any issues.

Quietness: The increase in road noise, compared to the OEM Continentals, is noticeable only at lower speeds -- say 20 to 30 mph. On the highway, the car is actually quieter than what I remember of the OEM Contis. Indeed, sound levels are pleasantly low on the highway.

In other words, there is more audible white noise on good-quality regular tarmac -- whereas on bad roads or on the highway, the tires are if anything better than the Contis (the thumping on ridges or potholes seems to generate lower-frequency sounds than the CPC OEMs, and hence is less bothersome).

I will report more after breaking the tires in some more. Meanwhile, thoughts/experiences welcome!

If you want your car to be even quieter, you should dynomat the spare tire wheel well. It makes quite a difference in highway drone.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
\
DWS may be quieter, but you are trading off dry handling and steering response. Check the tirerack survey data. I also have the Pilot Sport A/S Plus and noted the initial increase in noise over the OE Contis. But, unless I have lost my ability to distinguish accommodation over time, I am fairly certain, as the tires broke in, they got quieter. They are very good for road noise now, and I would not personally give up the Michelin's more precise reflexes for the wet/snow superiority of DWS, although I can say this, as I swap to dedicated winter tires. If you don't, you may need the DWS for all it can deliver to get you through a winter.

If you are noise-sensitive, check out my contribution to this earlier thread. This one afternoon project (low tech, but takes a few hours) made a huge difference in road/exhaust noise reduction.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...d-you-use.html
You're not alone, I think mine got quieter as well as they broke in.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
The PS2 A/S Plus is the better tyre IMHO & settles well noise wise.